Author Topic: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver  (Read 2061 times)

L33Tg33k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
Re: Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2023, 11:41:17 AM »
Alright, I’ll be in Portland in a few hours. I’ll be ticking things off the lists some of you have thrown out. I’m going to try to not be in the hotel the whole time.

Also, any cool bars? Live music?
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

sharkjumper

• Rep: 39
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2023, 02:16:36 PM »
Pretty comprehensive shows and event listings here.
https://everout.com/portland/

It’s drying up today and the rest of week looks nice.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2023, 05:32:37 PM »
Alright, I’ll be in Portland in a few hours. I’ll be ticking things off the lists some of you have thrown out. I’m going to try to not be in the hotel the whole time.

Also, any cool bars? Live music?

Ground Kontrol is a pretty fun place to kill some time. It’s a barcade down in old town. If you like shooting pool Sams Billiards is a good pool hall with cheap drinks and a ton of tables.

Definitely hit up Shrunken Head for a closet sized gem of a local skate shop.

Los Punales tacos on Belmont is soooo fucking good and there’s a lot of other bars and restaurants right in that little area.

Holmans is a pretty rad classic Portland dive that just reopened. Again that part of East burnside and 28th has a lot of good food & bars.

If you want a real Portland dive bar hit up the Slammer on SE Sandy.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2023, 10:20:12 AM »
This looks promising.
https://imgur.com/a/pGuUrLd

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »
This looks promising.

Tricky spot. Not far from the Belmont spots mentioned about. Get the selfie stand out and show us what you come up with.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2023, 11:57:01 AM »
Definitely the kind of spot I would pass and say “well that’s a spot for somebody else to skate.”
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2023, 12:11:58 PM »
This looks promising.

If you like stuff like that, there’s a spot in Seattle you’ll probably enjoy. It’s a bank to curb but the top is a loading ramp. Go to 18:10 in this video to see it:

https://youtu.be/nJ88XBa78p4?si=P0zJKzSjpHZ-_OQJ

The address is:
6001 6th Ave S building b
Seattle, WA 98108

The business there is closed on weekends and after 4:30 during the week, so you shouldn’t have any issues skating there if you time it right

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2023, 03:50:30 PM »
check out 35th ave in fed way and 35th north in seattle

deedznutz

• Rep: 2
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2023, 05:20:08 PM »
Not sure if you already embarked on your journey, but gabriel park in portland is an underrated classic... Skated there with the AH dudes last summer, if that gives you a better idea of what typa park it is.

Sangriawaterfall

• Rep: 25
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2023, 07:55:49 PM »
I had a good time at the cheerful tortoise. There’s a peculiar brick lump on the campus close by that is pretty fun to skate for 5 minutes

sharkjumper

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2023, 11:15:23 PM »
This looks promising.

Harder to skate than it looks.

I had a good time at the cheerful tortoise. There’s a peculiar brick lump on the campus close by that is pretty fun to skate for 5 minutes

The cheerful tortoise is a block from the courts.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 29
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2023, 10:40:08 AM »
Not sure if it's still going strong but my favorite skate spot in Seattle is Jack Block Park.

It's more a slappy spot than anything else but there's natural banks, good ground and people usually show up with miscellaneous stuff (flat bars, box, etc.)

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2023, 11:22:10 AM »
There’s going to be rain in Seattle when I get there so I don’t know about skating, but I am looking forward to the quintessential Seattle experience of dreary rain as I walk the streets.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2023, 12:31:08 PM »
There’s going to be rain in Seattle when I get there so I don’t know about skating, but I am looking forward to the quintessential Seattle experience of dreary rain as I walk the streets.

After seeing the Market avoid most of downtown, especially the area owned by Amazon. It is beyond boring.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2023, 02:22:33 PM »

The university of wa central parking garage (level c5) is a good alternative if you really want to skate still. The curbs are alright and there are some okay manny pads. Go during the night tho

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2023, 03:56:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

After seeing the Market avoid most of downtown, especially the area owned by Amazon. It is beyond boring.

Downtown Market is basically never open, so I wouldn’t even bother. I don’t know what anyone does downtown

But yeah, if you want a nice walk around rainy Seattle, make your way up to Capitol Hill and visit 35th North, Elliott Bay Books, Peloton Cafe, Oddfellows, etc. The Hill ain’t what it used to be but it has still got some gems.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2023, 06:56:51 PM »
Not far from 35th North there is also another book store, but this one has a bunch of kitties inside. It's Twice Sold Tales.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2023, 07:34:08 PM »
Speaking of cool stores in Seattle, this place is amazing: https://www.uwajimaya.com/visit/seattle/

And even though it’s touristy, I’m a huge nerd and love this museum: https: //www.mopop.org/
They have a movie costume/prop section to this place that’s heavy on the horror & sci-fi. It rules.

Seattle art museum is usually pretty decent too: https: //www.seattleartmuseum.org./

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sincerity

• Rep: 6
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2023, 09:11:17 PM »
If you find yourself at Pike's Place, maybe check out Left Bank Books Collective (if you're interested in politics) and Metzger Maps (if you're into paper maps). Both are near Post Alley, which has the pizza place someone mentioned earlier.

That said, you can skip this area entirely. Consciously choosing not to go will give you more to talk about after your trip than actually going.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2023, 05:20:04 PM »
@L33Tg33k how did your trip go?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2023, 07:13:44 PM »
Fantastic. Met a couple slap heads. Ate a lot of food. Saw as many sights as I could. Right now I’m stuck on a layover in Denver but that’s what happens when you’re to cheap to opt for the direct flight. Vancouver courts is a great spot. I wish I skated a little harder but I did get a couple easy clips. Although I had a couple bad meals in Portland, I found it very easy to get around and enjoyed the people I met very much. Similar feelings about Vancouver. I’ve already been to Seattle so I made a point of getting out of the city center with my rental car, which was a silver douchebag machine Mustang, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Yeah, overall my experience was great. And now I have a whole other week of vacation at home in Sunny San Diego. I’m kind of inspired to keep the skating going when I get home.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2023, 06:21:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
in Portland, I found it very easy to get around

Getting around basically anywhere else on the west coast is so tedious that this ends up being a defining virtue of Portland.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2023, 11:25:29 AM »
Awesome, glad the weather held up.  That’s what the courts is there for….easy clips….nice to hear you had a good time. 

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2023, 12:15:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Fantastic. Met a couple slap heads. Ate a lot of food. Saw as many sights as I could. Right now I’m stuck on a layover in Denver but that’s what happens when you’re to cheap to opt for the direct flight. Vancouver courts is a great spot. I wish I skated a little harder but I did get a couple easy clips. Although I had a couple bad meals in Portland, I found it very easy to get around and enjoyed the people I met very much. Similar feelings about Vancouver. I’ve already been to Seattle so I made a point of getting out of the city center with my rental car, which was a silver douchebag machine Mustang, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Yeah, overall my experience was great. And now I have a whole other week of vacation at home in Sunny San Diego. I’m kind of inspired to keep the skating going when I get home.

What were the bad meals in Portland? Did we lead you astray?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2023, 07:41:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

What were the bad meals in Portland? Did we lead you astray?
Nah. I went to a place because of a podcast that I listen to and another place that just won some nationwide pizza award. The very first place I went to is called Cheryl’s. Absolute garbage. I ordered teriyaki salmon, mashed potatoes, and mac and cheese. Every item was a crime. The salmon was overcooked, tough, and under seasoned. I don’t think they know what teriyaki is despite it being on their menu. The mac and cheese was watery and gritty at the same time and ugly to look at. As for the mashed potatoes, I don’t think ol’ Cheryl heard about butter or salt either. I’d give it a D+. The plus was for the ranting foodie that talked to me throughout. He was annoying but entertaining. The pizza place is called Ken’s Artisan Pizza. Now before someone tries to call me out for having no taste I want to say I’ve had neapolitan pizza and have enjoyed it on multiple occasions, but this place was not hitting. I like a pizza with a crust that leaves each slice’s structure intact. This one was a floppy falling apart chewy mess. It also had calabrian chiles. Normally fantastic but in this case not so much. They were cut horizontally into ribbons. They were tough, hard to chew, and flavorless. I ended up picking all of them off. There was barely any sauce and the cheese had an off taste. Maybe I don’t know shit about pizza. I thought I knew some things but apparently I don’t because these fuckers won third place in the country for pizza. It didn’t help that the service was relatively bad and even worse, I waited for a single seat at the bar for almost two hours. Even worser, I spilled my $10 beer. Not their fault and they did give me another but I didn’t need another sour taste in my mouth. I give them a D. The sausage saved them from an F.
I have to shout out Screen Door. I went to the location on the Eastside. What I ordered was great and I have every inkling that the rest of the menu is great too. For breakfast I ordered biscuits and sausage gravy. It was the best version of that I ever had, not that I’m eating biscuits and gravy everyday. On my way out of Portland I have Screen Door another go because they gave one in the airport. I got a classic double cheeseburger and fries. It was similar to In-N-Out with it’s perfectly toasted bun and American cheese but with thicker patties. I’m personally a smash burger type of guy because it caramelizes the meat better, but this was no sandwich to sneeze at. Screen Door gets a solid A from me.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2023, 09:09:27 PM »
You should review restaurants more often. That was an enjoyable read. I like Apizza Scholls over Ken's.

sharkjumper

« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2023, 09:50:48 AM »
That sucks about Ken’s. I love pizza and have lived in Portland for a long time. Never been to Ken’s. I can’t fuck around with wait times like that.

Agreed that apizza scholls is great. Nostrana is good too with more of a fine dining experience and price to match. Or grab the happy hour margherita pizza from life of pie and get a great pizza for $8.

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2023, 12:36:41 PM »
Or grab the happy hour margherita pizza from life of pie and get a great pizza for $8.
I wish I would’ve known about this one.

sharkjumper

« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2023, 11:18:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Or grab the happy hour margherita pizza from life of pie and get a great pizza for $8.
[close]
I wish I would’ve known about this one.

If I had known you were on a pizza mission I would’ve thrown out more spots.
Pizzeria Otto has an $8 margherita for happy hour too. Very good spot. And for any future reference of this thread.