Author Topic: Audiobooks?  (Read 329 times)

swellbowed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Audiobooks?
« on: November 16, 2023, 07:52:59 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for Audiobooks? Recently found it's a good way to stay focused on work and have some interesting content playing in the background. Just listened to Kitchen Confidential & Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: Audiobooks?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 08:14:07 AM »
Ive been listening to prodigy from mobb deeps book…its really good, also got Arnolds and dante ross’s audiobooks this month.  Dante’s is kinda meh but wanted to hear his skateboarding upbringing

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 11:03:27 AM »
The Daily Show Presents Earth With Jon Stewart is one of my favorite audio books. Super funny and engaging. Highly recommend!

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2023, 03:07:40 PM »
All 14 books in the "Wheel of Time" series.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2023, 06:11:04 PM »
If you’re in the mood for dark fantasy, the First Law Trilogy (and all following novels) is some of the best narration of all time, Stephen Pacey takes the excellent source material to another level.

On the Sci fi front, the Red Rising trilogy is also great, really engaging. Tim Gerard Reynolds is top notch as well.

GS77

• Rep: 94
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2023, 07:19:52 PM »
Ive been listening to prodigy from mobb deeps book…its really good, also got Arnolds and dante ross’s audiobooks this month.  Dante’s is kinda meh but wanted to hear his skateboarding upbringing

I listened to My Infamous Life and I thought it was terrific. Growing up listening to NYC hip hop I felt like I was living in it.

I like crime and mafia biographies written by beat reporters. I recommend Murder Machine the story of mobster Roy DeMeo who was a contract killer for the mob.

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2023, 09:37:18 PM »
No Country for Old Men is narrated very well. Different voices for different characters.

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2023, 11:11:29 AM »

This is that non-fiction of fire ass american imperialism and the history of assassins, narrated by one of the most sensuous, warm female voices alive today, Annie Jacobsen.

Jacobsen also wrote a really good book about Operation Paperclip

Fuck James Patterson

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2023, 12:07:45 PM »
There's a bunch of Dostoevsky novels on Audible for no cost
They always have some good stuff on there for free periodically, like they had Moby Dick & No Country... on there too a couple months ago, have at least one David Graeber up atm, just downloaded Breakfast at Tiffany's by Capote for free cause I never actually read it

I recently downloaded audio versions of all of Vonnegut's books off Pirate Bay, a bunch of Howard Zinn too

Got some Michael Parenti stuff I've been meaning to listen to as well

LUGR

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2023, 06:05:42 PM »
I was listening to this for the first time early this morning as I was drifting in and out of sleep. I have not finished it yet but it seems really good so far.

skippersoldballs

• Rep: 72
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 11:02:37 AM »
The tiger by John Vaillant

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 12:11:07 PM »
Sherlock Holmes read by Stephen Fry. Wonderful playful narration, the compartmentalized stories in six parts make for nice complete listening for commutes and trips.

Erebus read by Michael Palin. A Python actually wrote a book about the mysterious and riveting Lost Franklin expedition. Nuff said

Ghengis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford. This would make an incredible double feature with A People’s History of The United States

LUGR

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 09:14:33 PM »
World War Z audio book is fantastic. Very dynamic narration with different voice actors is top notch.

“Its 2007 audiobook version, performed by a full cast including Alan Alda, Mark Hamill, and John Turturro, won an Audie Award.”

*Playback disabled but can follow link to YouTube to listen. Enjoy.

devils acrobat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2023, 08:17:28 AM »
Earthsea

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 04:21:56 PM »
I listened to lonesome dove driving across the country and back and really liked it. Thought it would be a corny western and it kind of was but it really fit the moment. Doing libra by don delillo rn and its good. Same narrator as Lenin's tomb which i also just listened to which is funny