Author Topic: Opinions on square noses and tails? (FA/Hockey shapes)  (Read 17667 times)

a

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -6
Opinions on square noses and tails? (FA/Hockey shapes)
« on: July 30, 2019, 04:46:36 AM »
Has anyone tried an FA or Hockey deck? I know there shapes are pretty much the same but how do they feel?

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
Re: Opinions on square noses and tails? (FA/Hockey shapes)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 04:47:38 AM »
Loved mine to be honest. Reeeeeally wide nose.
But I like that alot.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 05:13:00 AM »
Hated my Hockey. Nose too short for my taste. Just not for me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

chappers

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 05:17:00 AM »
i hear theyre great for croocksing shit. ive never done a crooked grind so iono

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 06:15:22 AM »
Bought an AA Hockey board last year, in my hands it felt perfect.

A little smaller but ok. ( I've been riding a lot of Dane1's) as it was an 8.5 but the squared nose and tail made it look wider.

Ended up giving it away to a friend as it was way too long for being an 8.5 and feeling strange.

Gotta say tho, I've been riding a lot of BBS/Generator boards and changing wood was odd.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 06:16:44 AM »
Btw, I'm a big fan of square tails.

Maybe if ride a smaller board it would be cool, I had to switch from a 9.75 to an 8.5 and it wasn't a good feel.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 06:48:35 AM »
i used to ride the square doom sayers (snake shake) and i loved the shape.
surely not an FA/Hockey but square nose and tail.
makes smaller boards feel more spacious under my clumsy feet

PMA

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 07:37:13 AM »
Hockey/FA and then by extension Quasi shapes are quite nice, really. I'd been a pretty staunch Habitat/AWS dude for a bit, but I had a baaaaaad session on an AWS, so I set up an old Hockey I had. I know it is totally mental, but I skated so much better on that board.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
i used to ride the square doom sayers (snake shake) and i loved the shape.
surely not an FA/Hockey but square nose and tail.
makes smaller boards feel more spacious under my clumsy feet

Just get a big board and fuck it.

Makes sense, I'm 11.5 US, how can I feel ok with a 7.75" board? Nowadays it's 9" and up. Flips are still bad but the feeling is awesome.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 09:52:28 AM »
had a hockey 8.5x33x14.5wb, big nose took a session to get used to but i swear that nose helped me get tre flips a shit ton more consistent

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »
Got a 8.25 GX1000 (PS Stix) with square nose and tail, similar to Hockey boards. Both are shorter than I’d like, however the nose is steep and has alright pop for a soggy feeling board.

The short square tail, however, I can’t get used to. I kinda hate it to be honest. Besides front shoves, none of my tricks feel that good or are as good as I can usually do ‘em. I particularly don’t like the short tail for mannies.

I’ve been skating 8.25’s for close to 15 years, and like shapes similar to Real and Polar. Thought I’d try something new, and it simply wasn’t for me.

Maybe you’ll like it, who knows.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:48:22 AM by TheBoognish »

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
This year I've been mainly skating squared boards from quasi and FA, started on a quasi 8.5x33 with a 14.5wb with indy 149s and 56mm conical fulls, got a FA board with the same dimensions that had a mellower nose and tail that felt great, though it was heavier than the quasi board.
Now I've sized down with another quasi 8.25x32.125 with a 14.25wb with ace 44s and 52mm conical fulls, feels a little more nimble and easier to control due to changing up the trucks, I have a WKND that's the same dimensions waiting for when it's finished. Think I've found the sweet spot. I don't think there's much of an advantage to the shape, but I'm too used to it to grab a regular one off the wall.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 12:54:29 PM »
I love square boards. I've never had a Hockey or FA board but I love the quasi's I've had. I had a couple 8.5 and they are typically a bit shorter but I find that I really enjoy that aspect of the boards as well. I find them being square makes it easier to find a pocket for 360 flips or back 360s. There's like an actual corner you can feel. I enjoy it and it makes certain tricks easier for me. The company I most often skate are usually Pass~Ports, and I'm skate an 8.375 one right now, but going from an 8.5 Quasi to the Pass-Port was odd, just because they are so long. I was really a generator only purchaser for a long time, but I do like quasi's and after I'm done this deck and my other generator board I haven't gripped yet (It's a frog), I'll probably pick up another Quasi. That being said PassPort boards are amazing and I find that they have the best graphics, I just like to switch things up now and then.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 01:25:38 PM »
Skated an FA 8.5 and the nose was pretty steep and the tail felt short. It made the board feel small and I had to adjust. That being said, I don't think squared boards are the thing for me. But, the wider space is great for slides.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 999
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
Only skated Quasi/SC Wide tips/WKND/AWS/SW shop decks.

I'm a fan of the squareish shit but find it can feel clunky 9and heavy depending on woodshop).

I prefer full shapes, square or round. Skating the square shit will mess you up in the head when you go back to the regular stuff.

In between full round and square is where I found I like to be. Primitives and Dwindle fulls.

hamm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 12:13:52 AM »
The new Hotel Blue boards have the square nose too.

I went from an 8.25 Quasi to 8.25 Hotel Blue that is super similar in shape but a tiny bit shorter. It felt really good, probably my favourite board so far.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 03:13:34 AM »
I have thoroughly enjoyed all of the FA boards I've ridden (6 I think) but I did not like the Hockey I rode, maybe it was just an illusion but the tail seemed really short and stubby and it really fucked with my head.

That said, square tails in general are fun and will not hinder shredability
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2019, 05:13:08 AM »
square nose and tails are the jam, wish DLXSF had them on their whole catalog. FA & Hockey few others that use those shapes I cherish those  boards and is a bummer when they break.
Dueces Bitch's

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2019, 10:11:45 AM »
Love em' - AH did a good job with their recent shaped series:

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2019, 10:50:24 AM »
Love em' - AH did a good job with their recent shaped series:

I had the Blue Meanie and super loved the shape.  It unfortunately met it's demise after  8-10 sessions, but  I would get another.  Currently skating the 8.75 popsicle eagle and it's fine. I felt sexier on the shaped.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2019, 02:02:30 PM »
I'm on my 7th wknd/quasi in a row, all the exact same shape. 8.5" x 32.125" x 14.25" and love it. My kickflips have never been higher, flatter or more consistent. I've lost my fs flips tho, and I wonder if some other flip tricks would snap up faster with a little more point on the tail.

I bought an FA last year that looked like the same shape, but i should have measured it up, turned out the wheelbase was longer, and the kicks were steeper. Flipping it took so much effort i felt like I needed to sit down every five minutes.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
I loved my Mother/Quasi 8.25's and 8.5's.  Same wheelbase on both of those, but the 8.5 felt so snappy and responsive.

Recently set up an 8.375, and that's been great as well.  Longer, squarish nose than the other shapes and a slightly rounder, but still square tail.  I had a 8.375 JJ board from the first Quasi run, and this shape is different if I remember correctly.  I'm more of a heelflip guy than a kickflip guy, and my heelflips on this shape have felt like the board is glued to my feet in a good way.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
I find them being square makes it easier to find a pocket for 360 flips or back 360s. There's like an actual corner you can feel.

Interesting, it's exactly the opposite for me. I can still do my scoopy tricks fine on square noses and tails, but something about being able to feel that corner just feels wrong under my foot. It's almost like for a lot of flatground tricks, having so much tail or nose makes me a bit more confused as to where on the tail/nose I should put my foot to pop/scoop/whatever.

I'm quite conflicted over square noses and tails. I love them for nose and tailslides, and anything else that might involve my heel dragging. Not a fan of having to tiptoe on my slides even though you can still make it work. Really really hate square noses for straight kickflips though, just doesn't feel like there's an ideal point on the nose for me to flick off. Pointy noses are the best for straight kickflips for me, but then I can't sit on my slides as good.

nwgrandpapa

• Rep: -1
  • My friend Mike is on here
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 10:29:17 PM »
square nose really good for shoveling ones own grave.

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2019, 12:13:08 AM »
I got a Quasi board a while back, I struggled to get used to the square shape.

Scooping it off the floor for tre flips and what not felt too different to a regular shaped board for me and ended up getting rid of it.  All of their 8.25s were that shape at the time so couldn't go back to another Quasi deck.

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2019, 02:22:39 AM »
Had a KRod 8.18 14wb with ace 33s and 50 mm wheels, had the easiest time popping or scooping anything with how close the wheel base was and how square the nose and tail was.

With the nose and tail being so square, locking into slides and pinches was very comfortable and effortless.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2019, 03:28:37 AM »

This thing is about 7 years old and I finally decided to set it up. Super square tail. If you guess the brand I will relieve you by hand
Twin Perks

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2019, 09:32:50 AM »
some of the BEST boards.

A.A

• Rep: -52
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2019, 05:38:23 PM »

Was Mike V the originator

Man I wish I had the board. $600 is a lot of money though
Twin Perks

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 09:19:11 PM »
That AH T-Mo “Shovel Nose” shape was dooope.
Lamentably, they’re not making them anymore/for now, but...
I had a few in a row. WB around 14.5” & about 8.5” wide. Approx 32” & change.
Don’t recall the actual #s, but I loved that shape. Maybe some lurking out on the internets? I really should look into it.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?