Author Topic: Opinions on square noses and tails? (FA/Hockey shapes)  (Read 17668 times)

Water is Nice

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Opinions on square noses and tails? (FA/Hockey shapes)
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2019, 09:44:09 AM »
Tempted to try a Polar p2 anyone with experience on that shape?

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »

Yep, it's good.

You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2019, 02:28:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

What's the concave like on the P2? Only had a couple shaped Polar decks (football and the '91) and found them to be pretty steep.

TheLowerBack

• Rep: 171
  • GTU/FWD
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2019, 11:35:59 PM »
One of my favorite decks. Concave and kicks seemed standard, not too mellow or too steep. Best of both worlds with the bulky semi square nose and round tapered tails. I’d skate them more regularly , but my local seems to sell out as soon as they get them

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2019, 01:33:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

[close]

What's the concave like on the P2? Only had a couple shaped Polar decks (football and the '91) and found them to be pretty steep.

I don't recall it being particularly steep but I lean towards more concave as oppose to less. If you're used to something like Quasi's concave then this might feel like it's got some more lip to it.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2019, 02:13:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

[close]

[close]

I don't recall it being particularly steep but I lean towards more concave as oppose to less. If you're used to something like Quasi's concave then this might feel like it's got some more lip to it.
One of my favorite decks. Concave and kicks seemed standard, not too mellow or too steep. Best of both worlds with the bulky semi square nose and round tapered tails. I’d skate them more regularly , but my local seems to sell out as soon as they get them

Much appreciated. Middle of the road concave I can jibe with, I'll have to check one out. 

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2019, 05:27:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Much appreciated. Middle of the road concave I can jibe with, I'll have to check one out.

Just a heads up. The wheelbase on the polar p2 is not 14.5 like it says on the sticker/on their site. Yesterday I compared a friend's p2 with indys to my krooked 14.38 wb with aces and the axels lined up perfectly.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2019, 06:43:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Just a heads up. The wheelbase on the polar p2 is not 14.5 like it says on the sticker/on their site. Yesterday I compared a friend's p2 with indys to my krooked 14.38 wb with aces and the axels lined up perfectly.

Fucking Polar! Same thing with their standard 8.375” and 8.5”! How can they fuck this up so bad‽

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Fucking Polar! Same thing with their standard 8.375” and 8.5”! How can they fuck this up so bad‽

Yea they fudged up the numbers but this is actually great news to me. I've been wanting to try any of these three polar boards but the wheelbase kept me away.

hip bruise

• Rep: 11
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2019, 09:25:11 AM »
Currently skating a 8.3 DOA square shape SC wood. Never skated a quasi/fa or anything this square in the tail before.

Honestly hated it for a few days, but something like day 4 it started to make sense. Somehow this setup has boosted my switch pop up to just above embarrassing.

Tail feels cramped but that’s not exclusive to square shapes for sure. Curious to skate a bigger board with similar shape.

Water is Nice

« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

How long WB on the 8.375"?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2019, 12:19:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep, it's good.

[close]

[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
How long WB on the 8.375"?

14.375" as it is on the 8.5" and apparently the P2 as well.  :-\

Water is Nice

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2019, 12:38:34 PM »
Interesting, and it seemed kinda weird that the 8.25 is 14.125 and then the jump to 14.5 on 8.375.
Im also starting to get WB madness from some WB thread

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2019, 06:00:03 PM »
Definitely could deal with a 14.38 wheelbase, wasn't sold on skating another 14.5. Thanks for clarifying.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2019, 06:58:51 PM »
yeah, stoked to hear it's 14.375 tbh!
Still got an 8.5 square PS Stix on ice, looking to set it up next week. Any tips for removing graphics, I'd love it to just be wood stain

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2019, 08:59:28 PM »
Still got an 8.5 square PS Stix on ice, looking to set it up next week. Any tips for removing graphics, I'd love it to just be wood stain

Sandpaper and a whole bunch of elbow grease. Acetone works too but that's a fucking mess. Sanding it off and then finishing with clear coat gives nice results IMO.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2019, 11:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sandpaper and a whole bunch of elbow grease. Acetone works too but that's a fucking mess. Sanding it off and then finishing with clear coat gives nice results IMO.
Hmmmm, neither of those options sounds very attractive to me in the middle of a humid Japanese summer so I think I'll just skate it instead!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jimmy The Saint

• Rep: 11
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2019, 12:03:25 AM »
I've been riding Hockey for a few years and love 'em, particularly the Fitzgerald.  Picked up his model, an 8.5" by accident and never looked back. I've tried a team deck and a Donovon since then, but prefer the bigger Fitzgerald model.  I love the fuller nose and tail, the wood is good, and the tail isn't too steep, which is a problem i ran into with the other two decks. The bigger shape is fun and i was never good at flip tricks except for when boards were super skinny with tiny wheels, so that's not a big deal.  Go for it and give it a chance.
"Give it a name."

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2019, 01:04:12 AM »
I've been riding Hockey for a few years and love 'em, particularly the Fitzgerald.  Picked up his model, an 8.5" by accident and never looked back. I've tried a team deck and a Donovon since then, but prefer the bigger Fitzgerald model.  I love the fuller nose and tail, the wood is good, and the tail isn't too steep, which is a problem i ran into with the other two decks. The bigger shape is fun and i was never good at flip tricks except for when boards were super skinny with tiny wheels, so that's not a big deal.  Go for it and give it a chance.

The Donovan Snake 8.38 has been my recent favourite. I dug the bigger Fitz deck as well and the Donovan Snake had the same super full nose and tail, just a smidge smaller overall. Same concave, both BBS, wish they used them all the time.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2019, 01:47:34 AM »

Yo Gism, I know it’s all hot round your side of the world, but if you have a power sander that shit can be gone in 5 minutes, I did 3 habitat boards in 20 minutes last weekend

Best of luck

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2020, 04:26:07 AM »
fa & hockey both doing twin tail boards. out very soon.

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2020, 05:09:56 AM »
currently on a big ass frog shape - the coffee "Milic" board. Honestly the most functional shaped board i've skated in a while, I absolutely love it. feels so much more controllable / managable than my 8.5 quasi.

Saint Coke

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2020, 08:25:03 AM »
Yes it wasn't bad, just the shape was really fucking with me so I gave it to my neighbor in CA. I think their based of AWS shapes but I can't confirm. I've skated a AWS and like the shape and wood, very square and roomy. Only downside is they feel really soggy after awhile. Habitat has similar shapes and I love both brands. The nose on my AWS felt very similar to the G026 shape from crail. Without the tail.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2020, 08:55:40 AM »
ive made the most progress on square/blunt tails. a little less erratic than the round ones and give me a more stable pop. actually looking for more shapes with square tails since the nose shape isnt that important to me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2020, 08:56:04 AM »

i'm listening...

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2020, 09:15:00 AM »
I got a few decks recently and the numbers Koston 8.5 14.25" has a nice full almost double tail shape I went with over polar or hockey

Next to a SC Kevin Braun and in the back is a Polar, Welcome and Krooked. The Koston won this time. Like the shape a lot.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1073
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
Had a weekend one, I didn’t like.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2020, 11:14:55 AM »
Riding the Baker 8.5 B2 shape and have been enjoying it very much. Was on a 8.6 WKND before, which was fun, but wasn't feeling the sog. I also kind of like have a little more concave, though, I wouldn't call it "hella steep".
The chillest1

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2020, 02:17:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i'm listening...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2020, 02:38:27 PM »
Riding the Baker 8.5 B2 shape and have been enjoying it very much. Was on a 8.6 WKND before, which was fun, but wasn't feeling the sog. I also kind of like have a little more concave, though, I wouldn't call it "hella steep".

Those B2s are hardly square tho, compared to a FA/Hock/AWS/WKND tho; it's defiantly not baker pointy, perhaps more full, but certainly not squared out.