Author Topic: Do loose trucks help with 360 flips?????  (Read 5350 times)

sceatmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
Do loose trucks help with 360 flips?????
« on: August 10, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »
I've been skating forever and have all my other flip tricks but have never been able to tre, I've pretty much given up at this point. Everybody says that its all back foot, and that the scoop should angle the board so that it naturally flips itself off the front foot. My trucks aren't too tight but I feel I'm not getting that angle as I always end up doing 3pops and completely missing any flick. anyone feel like loose trucks help out to get that angle with tres at all? Weird question but thought I'd see if anyone had something to say. cheers.

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
Re: Do loose trucks help with 360 flips?????
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 04:55:17 PM »
That depends on how loose you mean.

It works like this: your front foot doesn't really flick or kick. It just applies a little bit of pressure. If your back foot does its job (I think of it more as a sweep than a scoop), then that pressure from your front foot will have caused it to fully flip by the time it's done rotating 360 degrees. You might need to loosen a little bit to get this accomplished. Also play with different front foot placements--you might just need to hang a little more of your foot off.

Brguy

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 05:56:02 PM »
Angle the foot=angle the board. Have no one told you to scoop that stuff with your toe? That's the whole thing, basically, just leave a 1/3 or something of your foot of the tail and point your toes down, there's no way the board won't flip like this.

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »
360 flips are one of the few flip tricks I can do and l ride pretty damn loose trucks (just shy of  jiggle loose) and in general I think loose trucks inhibit flip tricks but it is what it is... and the trade off is worth it... Watch Chico's clips and mirror his foot placement.

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:46:23 AM »
I personally do a little bit of both the scoop and flick. You can absolutely flick a little on your tres. It’s really whatever works for you. After you figure it out, you can improve your technique over time. But there’s nothing wrong with adding a little flick with your scoop. I believe the secret to those front foot catch tres that all the pros are doing require a good flick to push the board forward while they leave their back foot behind. Also another tip is stand on your toes on your back foot and when you pop, try to do it just with your foot and ankle, like finessing it rather than powering it with your whole leg

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 09:33:05 AM »
It helps me. I cannot 360 flip with tight trucks, but that might be because I have always skated my trucks a little loose. That guy Nigel Houston has 360 flips really consistently and his trucks are super tight.

It won't hurt to experiment with loser trucks. Maybe it will help you. Maybe it won't. It is for shure way more fun to skate arround with loose trucks than to have to tic tac all the time.

Torre

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
It helps me. I cannot 360 flip with tight trucks, but that might be because I have always skated my trucks a little loose. That guy Nigel Houston has 360 flips really consistently and his trucks are super tight.

It won't hurt to experiment with loser trucks. Maybe it will help you. Maybe it won't. It is for shure way more fun to skate arround with loose trucks than to have to tic tac all the time.
Do you mean Nyjah Huston?

DotGuru

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think I prefer Nigel Houston.

Torre

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 12:45:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Lmao word

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 09:25:01 AM »
Watch this on repeat a few times and then visualize yourself doing it

you can do anything you just have to put your mind to it.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 10:09:04 AM »
Watch this on repeat a few times and then visualize yourself doing it

you can do anything you just have to put your mind to it.

Not really, but I think you can 360 flip if you try long and hard enough.

DotGuru

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
I did that once when I was in 10th grade and got to 26 before I got too tired to go on.
They do require more energy than the average flip trick. For some reason I think of switch heelflips as requiring the least.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 12:50:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

lol

Vert skaters do 360 flips too so I don't think Nigel figured out anything different riding tight...plus he's a robot that always helps with consistency

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 08:13:43 AM »
No but loose trucks will save your ankles upon landing in my opinion.

I skate broken trucks. It helps with impossibles but tre takes thought in set up.
The way a tre flip works is sprang.

When you scoop and pulls your back foot backwards the heel side back wheel pinches the ground just before 90° and sprangs off the ground.

If you’re leaning backwards it will try and be in front of you back foot on the ground.  If you’re leaning forward you will land front foot on the ground and get shark bite potentially.

If I’m having issues with tre I sometimes tighten my back truck a little bit rn that’s impossible because my bushings are gone so I just go faster

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2019, 02:53:15 AM »
I had trouble with 360 flips until i fixed my back foot position,, just have your toes hang off the tail it'll feel so awkward and wrong but try it that way. toes on back foot completely off the tail and have your weight thrown inwards before popping

tomriddle0054

• Rep: -3
    • Skate Review avatar image
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2019, 08:38:21 PM »
Getting over into skating and a companion of mine evaluated my board and was stunned about it being "tight as all fuck!". He thought about how I even turn or do flip stunt on it. His set up felt free to me in that, at whatever point I went to set up for a kick flip or even a 360 flip, the barricade straight carried on as a seesaw.

Ive consistently skated tight for the pop and maintaining a strategic distance from wheelbite, yet it made me wonder, am I restricting myself by fixing the trucks so hard? My "Too Hard" yellow Independent bushings ended up twisted from how tight I have it. Ive read that free trucks do ponders for doing complicated stunts.

tranny in the streets

• Rep: 12
  • Gronk
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 07:29:25 PM »
I have loose trucks and have really shitty tre flips but I can still do them most of the time. I guess for tre flips I always in a way lean to the side and angle the board with my back toes (does that make sense?) so that the toe side part of my board is almost touching the wheel. That gets me a great scoop and I can tre flip without even really trying. I think that set-up really gets the momentum going so it makes sense that a little wiggle room helps with the tres.

Not to mention cruising around feels awesome on looser trucks!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2019, 09:54:16 PM »
I can't speak for 360 flips but loosening my trucks recently helped me loads with rail, ledge and flat ground. I used to ride my trucks tight but loosened then around 1/5 turns and my board feels so much lighter; I also spend less time adjusting my weight and angle of approach when doing ledge tricks which definitely helps. I've been an advocate for loose trucks ever since.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m