Author Topic: Oslo and Bergen  (Read 2969 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 31
Oslo and Bergen
« on: August 22, 2019, 03:13:41 PM »
I'll be in in Oslo and Bergen for a week in September. I'm looking for recommendations on and off the board. I'm into ledges, curbs, banks, curb cuts, and any street spots.

Also good places to drink local beer and food after the session would be appreciated.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Oslo and Bergen
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 10:32:41 PM »
Avoid the park in Bergen it is terrible. Bring an umbrella.

Also, if possible, don't be too cheap. I tried to live off my hotel breakfast each morning and I regret not going out for a good meal in Bergen.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:27:03 PM »
There are spots all over Oslo. I had a friend showing me around, so my memory is faded on where they were. We did just stumble upon shit all over though.

Bergen.. hiked up into the hills in the middle of the night around this area and bombed around.

https://goo.gl/maps/K1np6D5dEBbXoUsH9

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:08:46 AM »

Also, if possible, don't be too cheap. I tried to live off my hotel breakfast each morning and I regret not going out for a good meal in Bergen.

Yeah, I’m bringing rain gear and hoping I can skate outside and don’t end up in an indoor park.

Also been saving for those $14 beers but I live in SF so I’m used to being gouged all the time.

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 07:09:46 AM »
There are spots all over Oslo. I had a friend showing me around, so my memory is faded on where they were. We did just stumble upon shit all over though.

Bergen.. hiked up into the hills in the middle of the night around this area and bombed around.

https://goo.gl/maps/K1np6D5dEBbXoUsH9

Oh shit, those hills look good. Thanks for the tip.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:24:37 AM »
I remember seeing some cool stuff in this part of Bergen as well:

https://goo.gl/maps/KKdKDfCSY7797nDY7

You might want to bring a set of soft wheels for pushing around.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 11:31:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah, I’m bringing rain gear and hoping I can skate outside and don’t end up in an indoor park.

Also been saving for those $14 beers but I live in SF so I’m used to being gouged all the time.

I meant the outdoor park. It looks like it could be fun in photos, but in reality it is beyond terrible. The ground is super rough and the run-up for the hubbas is about 2 feet long.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

RoyMedKukken

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 12:28:27 PM »
Oslo skater here! Tons of stuff to skate.
Here are a few of my favs.

Outdoor parks:

Mølleparken

Everybodys favorite. Can be crowded at peak hours.

GSF

Super fun park with slappy curbs, transitions, polejams, a hydrant, whatever you want. Theres also a huge bowl on the other side of the road.

Stargate

Ledges and stairs. Very fun. Located right behind an old closed down bar named "Stargate".

Indoor parks

Oslo Skatehall

Dope indoor park with HUUUGE vert, big bowl, mini and microramp, street course with everything you need.

Skur 13

The old X-games course. Free of charge most days. Go there between 14:00 and 18:00 on fridays to avoid scooter kids (skateboards only).

Spots

Fernanda Nissen School - ledges and a couple of handrails
Teaterplassen - ledges

There are a TON more spots and parks, check out these links to find all of them:

https://www.justme.ws/index.asp#spots
https://skatesite.no/

Also, if you like skating transition you HAVE to skate the Torshov ramps:

https://myskatespots.com/listing/torshov-rampen/

The middle sized one is the best mini ramp ever built.

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 04:01:45 PM »
Oslo skater here! Tons of stuff to skate.
Here are a few of my favs.

Outdoor parks:

Mølleparken

Everybodys favorite. Can be crowded at peak hours.

GSF

Super fun park with slappy curbs, transitions, polejams, a hydrant, whatever you want. Theres also a huge bowl on the other side of the road.

Stargate

Ledges and stairs. Very fun. Located right behind an old closed down bar named "Stargate".

Indoor parks

Oslo Skatehall

Dope indoor park with HUUUGE vert, big bowl, mini and microramp, street course with everything you need.

Skur 13

The old X-games course. Free of charge most days. Go there between 14:00 and 18:00 on fridays to avoid scooter kids (skateboards only).

Spots

Fernanda Nissen School - ledges and a couple of handrails
Teaterplassen - ledges

There are a TON more spots and parks, check out these links to find all of them:

https://www.justme.ws/index.asp#spots
https://skatesite.no/

Also, if you like skating transition you HAVE to skate the Torshov ramps:

https://myskatespots.com/listing/torshov-rampen/

The middle sized one is the best mini ramp ever built.

Thanks for the amazing reply! Oslo is going to be awesome. Let me know if you come to SF and I’ll hook you up with spots.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 01:53:49 AM »
Slightly off topic but he did ask for cheap beer is the Elm Street cafe still going? Or Mono and Last Train? Those were my favourite places to drink when was there.
Need to go back for a skatetrip myself.

RoyMedKukken

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »
Slightly off topic but he did ask for cheap beer is the Elm Street cafe still going? Or Mono and Last Train? Those were my favourite places to drink when was there.

Both Elm Street and Mono have been shut down, but Last Train is still truckin!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 10:24:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn that's a shame, but guess it was almost 12 years ago since I was there. Does Last Train still do shows?

RoyMedKukken

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 01:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Damn that's a shame, but guess it was almost 12 years ago since I was there. Does Last Train still do shows?

Yeah, bars in Oslo really struggle to keep afloat for more than a couple of years. Luckily that means there is always something new to check out. And yeah they still do a ton of concerts.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2019, 03:37:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, bars in Oslo really struggle to keep afloat for more than a couple of years. Luckily that means there is always something new to check out. And yeah they still do a ton of concerts.
I can imagine.Op go to the last train .

healmydamagedbrain

• Skater, painter and musician from Hamar, Norway.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 06:59:01 PM »
If you want to check out two "legendary" skate spots in Oslo, ask for direction to Rådhusplassen and Tinghuset. These two spots where mostly used in the 90's and early 2000's, but are still in use these days, I think. Rådhuset includes one small staircase and a huge one with a huge handrail. Tinghuset includes two ledges. Both places are great for flat skating.

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 02:13:23 PM »
Thanks to everyone for all the tips. I'll check out as many places as I can.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »
You've probably seen this already, but in case you haven't; Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM-4L4mVw5Q

Be sure to try some waffles with brown cheese(vafler med brunost) and some legendary norwegian milk chocolate while youre here.
Enjoy your stay!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 07:53:18 AM »
If you want to check out two "legendary" skate spots in Oslo, ask for direction to Rådhusplassen and Tinghuset. These two spots where mostly used in the 90's and early 2000's, but are still in use these days, I think. Rådhuset includes one small staircase and a huge one with a huge handrail. Tinghuset includes two ledges. Both places are great for flat skating.
Rådhuset is currently under construction, so it's not good at the moment. Tinghuset is great, but it's adviced not to skate it until 3-4pm.
Stargate is the usual meetup spot, and it's pretty central to anything in the city really.
Mølla is great on a friday night, and it seems like everyone who has ever touched a skateboard go to oslovelo for beers on fridays and/or saturdays if there isn't a rave somewhere.

reality is that there are tons of great bars in Oslo. some real high end and popular ones, and some really fucking shitty ones. you'll catch it by their looks, the ones that look like they are in the 80/90s based on their signage are usually brown holes (with cheap beer) and other ones are well, normal bars.

for food, Gaza has the best falafel wrap in oslo. burgers are a tie between Illegal, Munchies and Wunderburger. keep in mind that a burger with fries will run you like $20 and a falafel is $10.

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 02:06:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Rådhuset is currently under construction, so it's not good at the moment. Tinghuset is great, but it's adviced not to skate it until 3-4pm.
Stargate is the usual meetup spot, and it's pretty central to anything in the city really.
Mølla is great on a friday night, and it seems like everyone who has ever touched a skateboard go to oslovelo for beers on fridays and/or saturdays if there isn't a rave somewhere.

reality is that there are tons of great bars in Oslo. some real high end and popular ones, and some really fucking shitty ones. you'll catch it by their looks, the ones that look like they are in the 80/90s based on their signage are usually brown holes (with cheap beer) and other ones are well, normal bars.

for food, Gaza has the best falafel wrap in oslo. burgers are a tie between Illegal, Munchies and Wunderburger. keep in mind that a burger with fries will run you like $20 and a falafel is $10.

You forgot Troys!

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »
Isn't Troys closed due to renovation? Or did I miss their reopening?

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 03:18:07 AM »
I’m a loner and do most of my skating just around my neighbourhood on the outskirts of town, but when I’m downtown I like to skate the low ledges by the Museum of Cultural history. They’re the right height for my lazy out of shape 30-something pop, you’ll almost never be asked to leave, and it’s pretty peaceful there. Also the satisfying clack-clack-clack of concrete tiles.
The mentioned GSF park is very nice, and if you take a bus a bit further up from there you can find a small miniramp that sees little use but is actually a decent ramp. The Torshov ramps are also a must as someone said.
There’s a pretty new tiny park in Majorstuen that I really like even if I imagine some of the more hardcore folks will find it a bit lackluster - just a low qp, banks and some relatively low ledges.
If you come to Oslo by train the skate shop Session is basically right next to the train station, you could go there and talk to the folks who work there to maybe get some more pointers.
Curbs in Norway will genereally be a huge disappointment to you if you’re a californian.

Edit: Yeah, go eat at Gazakjøkken. Also have some drinks at Konrad and maybe seek out a Gamlebyen Get Down event if you like dancing and there’s one happening while you’re here.

Another edit: Lemongrass has Norways biggest selection of rum and really good Caribbean food but is maybe a bit pricey.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:22:57 AM by woodinbrine »

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
I’m a loner and do most of my skating just around my neighbourhood on the outskirts of town, but when I’m downtown I like to skate the low ledges by the Museum of Cultural history. They’re the right height for my lazy out of shape 30-something pop, you’ll almost never be asked to leave, and it’s pretty peaceful there. Also the satisfying clack-clack-clack of concrete tiles.
The mentioned GSF park is very nice, and if you take a bus a bit further up from there you can find a small miniramp that sees little use but is actually a decent ramp. The Torshov ramps are also a must as someone said.
There’s a pretty new tiny park in Majorstuen that I really like even if I imagine some of the more hardcore folks will find it a bit lackluster - just a low qp, banks and some relatively low ledges.
If you come to Oslo by train the skate shop Session is basically right next to the train station, you could go there and talk to the folks who work there to maybe get some more pointers.
Curbs in Norway will genereally be a huge disappointment to you if you’re a californian.

Edit: Yeah, go eat at Gazakjøkken. Also have some drinks at Konrad and maybe seek out a Gamlebyen Get Down event if you like dancing and there’s one happening while you’re here.

Another edit: Lemongrass has Norways biggest selection of rum and really good Caribbean food but is maybe a bit pricey.

Low ledges sound good to me. Curbs to knee-high ledges are my favorite. Gazakjøkken looks great, will be sure to check it out. Thanks for the recommendations!

MostlyLurkin'

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2019, 07:33:22 PM »
Isn't Troys closed due to renovation? Or did I miss their reopening?

Think Troys Torggata is still closed, but Troys Majorstua is still open.

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 08:01:09 PM »
Tusen takk to everyone. Ended up drinking kveik, eating waffles, and going to the fjords instead of skating but I did see some sick spots. Highly recommend a visit.