Author Topic: Falafel  (Read 4315 times)

yapple dapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Falafel
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:15:57 AM »
The chicken caesar wrap comment in the BAM thread  ready had me craving for a nice pita falafel.
Anyone here appreciate falafel? I went to a halal spot yesterday and the falafel was just ok.
Please if you know of a good falafel spot in Berkeley or Oakland let me know. Or let's meet for lunch.
Share your falafel stories.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 02:18:30 AM by yapple dapple »

Mongoloid

Re: Falafel
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 06:08:51 AM »
Oh fuck yes! I fuck heavily with any/all middle eastern food.

Especially kebabs.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 06:17:50 AM »
This kabob shop near me does a killer falafel. I get a cheese naan bread with falafels, veggies and harissa sauce. Might have to get one post skate tonight.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 06:26:53 AM »
im lucky to live in a place that takes pride in its falafel and has legit falafel beefs about who has the best falafel in town.
30% of my body weight is falafel. the rest is tahini
i even had a falafel sponsor for a while after i hooked the son of the owner with a skateboard. later he told me that his son doesnt really skate but he did catch him masturbating a few days before. kid is going to grow up to be a star

support you local falafel shop
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:31:48 AM by eranka »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 07:14:57 AM »
Mamoun’s got the falafel game on lock out here in the east.

https://mamouns.com/locations

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 10:47:18 AM »
Falafel is too bland for me. I like the meat better, and I've seen more interesting vegetarian replacements for falafel in Levantine cuisine. Like eggplant and pickles and even the chickpea proper. But I understand it's a different idea. Maybe I wasn't lucky with falafel, but all of the places I've had it on were authentic enough, so... Sorry, folks.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 11:42:20 AM »
I love falafel! So good. Sadly the falafel culture is lacking in Finland. When traveling I always hit up some falafel pots to get the good stuff. Got some really good falafels in Vilnius a few months back.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
Felafel Rules Everything Around Me

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 08:29:33 PM »
Felafel Rules Everything Around Me

FREAM

Get the tahini

4 dollars for a sandwich y'all

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 01:09:09 AM »
I grew up on the lime side, the Turkish Times side
Stayin' alive with no chives
Had secondhands, Mom's bounced on old lamb
So then we moved to Hummus land

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 01:49:59 AM »
what's a falafel?

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 10:49:38 AM »
the good shit.
No.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 10:16:11 PM »

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 04:45:24 AM »
There's one Falafel spot I'm super into here in Berlin. 3 euro for a falafel that's massive and will last you for two meals.

I was just in Malmo where I thought the falafel paled in comparison. When someone recommends me a falafel spot I always ask them what they deem as a good falafel. For me, I'd say I judge a falafel but the toppings followed by if the pita and falafel are fresh. Gotta have a good selection of toppings, sauces, and pickled goodness.

Now the best falafel I've ever had was in Palestine. So many places where you can get an amazing falafel for less than a euro. They'd smash the falafel in a pita and then let you go crazy with putting the 20+ toppings on yourself.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 04:59:14 AM »
There's one Falafel spot I'm super into here in Berlin. 3 euro for a falafel that's massive and will last you for two meals.

I was just in Malmo where I thought the falafel paled in comparison. When someone recommends me a falafel spot I always ask them what they deem as a good falafel. For me, I'd say I judge a falafel but the toppings followed by if the pita and falafel are fresh. Gotta have a good selection of toppings, sauces, and pickled goodness.

Now the best falafel I've ever had was in Palestine. So many places where you can get an amazing falafel for less than a euro. They'd smash the falafel in a pita and then let you go crazy with putting the 20+ toppings on yourself.

I too was disappointed with Malmö’s falafels. For a city that’s kinda known for its falafels I felt like they definitely should have been much better. Dunno if I had bad luck with the places I went to or if their taste in falafels just differ from mine. Still it was alright and cheap.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 05:56:17 AM »

this guy knows whats up.
i never understood why even legit falafel places in europe used frozen falafel balls, if you have the word falafel in your sign the least you can do is make a fresh bowl of falafel daily. its easy and cheap. its like serving a few days old rice in an asian place.

the formula for good falafel is freshness. the best places are not always the places with the finer ingredients, its the places that sell alot and always have a fresh batch cooking, fresh salads and good pitas. falafel is a basic food and the ingredients are cheap even if youre buying the best stuff. i got a 2$ falafel not far from where i live nicknamed "the dirty one", cheapest shit you can find here, and its real good because he sells alot and its always fresh.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 06:00:13 AM by eranka »

animalflesh

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 08:07:49 AM »
Being Syrian, I am genetically predisposed to liking falafel...

With some salad, hummus, mad tahini sauce and some garlic hot sauce please

Also on the side when I don’t get falafel as the main

Shout out to kibbeh as well

Also Lahmajun from Pide 28 in Paterson NJ

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
FUCK, now I'm fiending for felafel...

ZeGerms

• Rep: 12
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 11:32:35 PM »
Well thanks! Now I need to go and buy Stuff to make Falafel...buckets of em!

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 12:24:12 AM »
^^^I've been thinking the same thing. I also been a bit intimidated. I don't want to mess it up. Anyway, so in the kitchen I been asking everyone if they know how to make a falafel. 9 out of 10 said yes, have and I get their input. I also asked the question at every falael joint "what's your secret". I need to learn how to make a pure fire tahini sauce. Which is easy.
Good night, and eat well my friends...
SHALOM!

Edit: SC
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:28:51 AM by yapple dapple »

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 08:37:29 PM »
We made them at home with only chickpeas for ages and they were okay, but a tip to add fava beans really lifted them to awesome tier.

Also, shout outs to Gazakjøkken, Oslo.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2019, 03:37:27 PM »
just had some yesterday

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
I'd never had falafel until I moved to Australia, we have a joint called Dora's who in my opinion have the best Flafs (our nickname for falafel) in South Australia. They also sell homemade Baklava.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Diocletian

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 02:59:07 PM »
Lebanese food is probably my all-time favorite tied with Indian and Mexican. Falafel with a sampler plate of baba ganoush, hummus, etc. to start off...then a heaping plate of chicken shawarma with a ton of that garlic toum sauce on top. Most satisfying meal ever.

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2019, 12:29:42 AM »
Lebanese food is probably my all-time favorite tied with Indian and Mexican. Falafel with a sampler plate of baba ganoush, hummus, etc. to start off...then a heaping plate of chicken shawarma with a ton of that garlic toum sauce on top. Most satisfying meal ever.

Gotta have that baba ghanoush! One of my favorite things, more so than falafels!

hangontoyourego

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »
The chicken caesar wrap comment in the BAM thread  ready had me craving for a nice pita falafel.
Anyone here appreciate falafel? I went to a halal spot yesterday and the falafel was just ok.
Please if you know of a good falafel spot in Berkeley or Oakland let me know. Or let's meet for lunch.
Share your falafel stories.
Have you been to Holy Land in oakland ? It’s near grand lake movie theater.  Not only one the best falafels around but they have amazing lemonade .
There’s a good spot behind Wally’s 40th & San Pablo . My spot in  Berkeley is D’yar it’s right off telegraph down from 510 where the Wells Fargo is.   

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2019, 12:22:40 PM »
Truly Mediterranean in SF is my go-to Jam for the tasty falafel goodness. Their chicken shawarma is top-notch feeding, too.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2019, 12:40:19 PM »
Montreal's got Yonni Falafel in the Mile End, hands down the best.

Nilufar is a classic too, very basic but some of the best value for money at 2 bucks a sandwich.

Movie is decent, big Noah Taylor fan.

Mongoloid

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »

Lebanese/Turkish/Middle Eastern food is absurdly fantastic, As is authentic Mexican, and Peruvian.

It’s hard for me to pick a favorite tbh. Authentic Szechuan with all the scorching Mala/Chilies that gives you a buzz is god tier too.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
Do you guys have a good recipe for falafels ?
I tried to make some once and they were OK but quite dry and not so tasty...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.