Author Topic: Surfing appreciation  (Read 3155 times)

curbslayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
Surfing appreciation
« on: August 30, 2019, 11:25:28 AM »
surfing is rad! surfing gave skating Flow you have to appreciate that. we are all of the water. who else surfs on slap?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQdSY005XB8
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:41:27 PM by curbslayer »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
Re: Surfing appreciation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 11:36:08 AM »
Dora lives

So fun out there

Six feet, glassy, and barreling

Me and the boys are headed down to ‘Mex this weekend

Shaka
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Rick_Kane

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 01:41:02 PM »
Surfing is fun, but surfers are bigger kooks than skaters and snowboarders combined.

curbslayer

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 04:08:44 PM »
Surfing is fun, but surfers are bigger kooks than skaters and snowboarders combined.

fully agree with this but the shit they do is undeniably sick and deserves appreciation as do the snowboard bros     

Serious Tea Drinker

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 05:57:47 PM »

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 10:01:37 PM »
I’ve been dying to learn how to surf, but every summer I say this is the year, and then every summer comes and goes and I still haven’t tried.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 07:32:57 AM »

Surfers are jocks, for sure, but more so than snowboarders? I don't know about all that. Certainly not when combined with skating.

I’ve been dying to learn how to surf, but every summer I say this is the year, and then every summer comes and goes and I still haven’t tried.

Do it. Learning to surf was one of the best things I ever did with my life. Lessons are a bit pricey but they're worth it, I can make some recommendations in San Diego.

Barf The Mog

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »
This is a good watch

https://youtu.be/ziJRoaYCAU4

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »
Agreed, picked up surfing a few years ago after toning it down on skateboarding. You'll definitely need more strength and fitness compared to skateboarding since you will be paddling a lot. I feel it's a lot less forgiving than skateboarding; miss a trick on skateboarding and you can just pick your board up to try again. Missing a wave can mean getting churned by the wave, having to paddle back out to the line up and waiting for a long while for the set.

Still love both of them immensely.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 08:44:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Surfers are jocks, for sure, but more so than snowboarders? I don't know about all that. Certainly not when combined with skating.

Expand Quote

[close]

Do it. Learning to surf was one of the best things I ever did with my life. Lessons are a bit pricey but they're worth it, I can make some recommendations in San Diego.

I’m an east coaster. I love San Diego though so hopefully next time I’m out there I’ll be able to try out a class or two

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m an east coaster. I love San Diego though so hopefully next time I’m out there I’ll be able to try out a class or two

There’s good shit on the east coast too, all I’m saying is get out and try that shit. Catching a wave feels like landing a trick for 10 seconds, and when you can start doing turns shit really gets good. You don’t even have to rip, just once you get the hang of it, it’s such a rad feeling.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 11:06:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

There’s good shit on the east coast too, all I’m saying is get out and try that shit. Catching a wave feels like landing a trick for 10 seconds, and when you can start doing turns shit really gets good. You don’t even have to rip, just once you get the hang of it, it’s such a rad feeling.

Oh I know. I have a couple buddies who surf I just need to actually dedicate some time to getting into it

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »
Sitting in the water for 30 minutes waiting for a wave is one of the most relaxing things I've ever done. Definitely my favorite sport, although that may be because I don't live on the water and it takes a bit of money/effort to get out to the waves.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 12:57:18 PM »
<iframe title="vimeo-player" src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/329758266" width="640" height="337" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I surf a little bit but don´t know shit about tricks/moves on a surfboard. When I saw this video I knew I have a favourite surfer to watch. Sorry, I dont know how to embed, action starts at 1:55.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:58:51 PM by truthislie »

curbslayer

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 11:57:45 AM »
This is a good watch

https://youtu.be/ziJRoaYCAU4

chippa is insane i back that dude good vid choice

AllShitty

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 12:10:48 PM »
I took up Surfing recently since i'm really close to the beach and was looking for fun ways to strengthen my core since I've had back problems from skating for the past 25 years.  I wish I would have tried when I was 16 instead of now at 37 but still I'm so glad I finally picked it up.  It's the most relaxing and best way to start your day.  There's something about sitting in the ocean that is so peaceful.  Now that i'm standing and at least cruising waves I've had way less back issues since it takes a lot of back/shoulder/arm work paddling around for hours at a time.  The crowd out there are for sure dicks.  I'm not used to that but I just don't get in anyone's way, or steal anyone's wave and have gained the respect from local dudes that I see pretty often at certain spots.  Highly recommend any skateboarder to start surfing.

curbslayer

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 04:05:34 PM »
chilling floating waiting for a set is honest the best thing. i wish i lived close enough to get a session before work.

mason gets me hyped to have fun on the water this edit is filled with stoke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2IlD-x8wvY

AllShitty

• Rep: 0
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
That was a rad edit.  Mostly I find watching surfing pretty boring but that was sick!

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
I really want to surf but i live in the midwest man shits lame

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:13:26 PM by tkp »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 12:19:25 PM »
That Locals Only one is gold

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 01:29:56 PM »
surfing is the best feeling. it's so rewarding to get in the water when it's pumping and you've driven somewhere on a gamble. it's so different from driving to skate a spot, because you have high/low tide, wind speed and direction, swell conditions and everything needs to line up.

and it sucks because i don't have a car and the closest spot is almost 2 hours away and usually fucking gnarly when it goes off.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »
chilling floating waiting for a set is honest the best thing. i wish i lived close enough to get a session before work.

mason gets me hyped to have fun on the water this edit is filled with stoke
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2IlD-x8wvY

Love me some Mason Ho! (I think) he's one of the few surfers who go at the waves as if he was skateboarding; smashing the lip of the wave, "grinding" the lip, popping 180s mid wave.

Heading out to Perth in October for a wedding and will get a few surf sessions in.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 03:04:26 AM »
http://youtu.be/nBm2tnuAm6Y

I always liked Taylor Knox. From 7.30. Sick turns.

listen to cosmic psychos

curbslayer

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
suns out surfs up! you been out yet ? is the beach even open ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PMAKern0gw