Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75151 times)

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 04:17:46 PM »
Isn't Rowley a Stage VII dude?  But yeah, I still have a couple pairs of Stage VIII 139s and the kingpin clearance is a complete joke.  Also their axles slipped so bad even just from hitting the ends on bails that they could become unskateable inside a few weeks.  I tried Tensors and Royals out of desperation after a few really rotten pairs of Indies before giving up and going back.  Dark times, but at least the trucks turned like a dream. 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2019, 04:48:37 PM »
Isn't Rowley a Stage VII dude?  But yeah, I still have a couple pairs of Stage VIII 139s and the kingpin clearance is a complete joke.  Also their axles slipped so bad even just from hitting the ends on bails that they could become unskateable inside a few weeks.  I tried Tensors and Royals out of desperation after a few really rotten pairs of Indies before giving up and going back.  Dark times, but at least the trucks turned like a dream.

He only skates the stage 7 even today and only swap the bushings and nuts

They just need to make the new mid a stage 7 revamp

It’s a clear answer
yes

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2019, 04:51:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s a clear answer

Just fix the kingpin and axle issues and it would be a nearly perfect Indy. I don't care anyway because I've been loving Aces lately, even though about half of them are apparently defective.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2019, 05:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s a clear answer
[close]

Just fix the kingpin and axle issues and it would be a nearly perfect Indy. I don't care anyway because I've been loving Aces lately, even though about half of them are apparently defective.

Ahahahahhaha your telling me brother

I’m on my second pair of ace 03 lows and somethings up with either the bushing fit or the pivot cup

My pivot cups keep sinking out of the hole and it makes it seem that the pivot stem isn’t securely in the pivot hole

Idk, the first pair the kingpin got loose in 2 sessions but everything was fine

Now I got a warranty set but yeah somethings up with the pivot cup area or something, I guess basically it makes the turning either looser or not stable but I’ll keep riding to see what’s up

Why I ride ace low when they’re made to be loose and should be tall/hi

I like the way they feel and grind and a low version works for me cause I prefer lows, but man that Indy mid

If it’s a stage 7 II like thunder back when they did the 147 II

I’m all over it like nerds at a trek convention
yes

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2019, 05:53:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People forget just how shitty the kingpin clearance was on Stage 7 and Stage 8.   If they came out today, nobody would skate them and you all would be complaining about how it needs to have Stage 11 clearance

Seriously, it's about as much room as a Venture Low.

[close]

Those look fine to me maybe even perfect as the new Indy mid, just need to be updated with quality improvements like no slip axle and stronger material and such

Venture low clearance was good for me, heck even my stage XI lows have decent clearance

Only royals, yes the new one even the standards with the reg kingpin, have clearance issues

So far a lot of trucks these days even the low versions have decent clearance

Not as good as a krux, Indy or any of the hi trucks that you can easily Smith to feeble without a scratch but good enough you don’t stick just from an uneven 50-50
[close]

Maybe this angle will help.  trust me, there is almost no clearance on Stage 8's.  there is less than the Royal's you're talking about.

Nobody gave a shit about Stage 8's until Rowley said they're all he will skate.  They were heavy as hell, 55mm tall and had almost no kingpin clearance.  You can like the turn of them but otherwise they were shit trucks

I'm going to politely disagree on all fronts (except for the clearance, Stage 8 clearance is bad).

Here's some comp pics between Stage 11 159 and Stage 8 156 (that was their designation for 8.75" trucks then).

Stage 8's are 11 grams lighter,

Stage 11

Stage 8

Stage 8's are mid height at 52mm (Stage 8's on the left)

Stage 8's shrink the wheelbase more than Stage 11's. Id say they sit exactly between a Stage 11 and Ace (Stage 8's on the right in this picture), which I think accounts for the better turn even though Stage 11's have the oval yoke.

I always cared about Stage 8's (and to a lesser degree Stage 7's, they were my first trucks but they were old and hand me downs at that point). I stopped skating for a while and when I got back into it around '07ish I bought a new set of Stage 9's, hated them, and the 10's which were even worse (despite having a solid baseplate). Rode used Stage 8's until the 11's came out. I think 11's are solid trucks, but the only plus they have over 8's is the clearance and better construction (which are both important and why I'd pick an 11 over a vintage 7 or 8 any day). 

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »
^ Weird, stage 8 were always listed as 55mm tall and then they went down to 53.5 for Stage 9 and 10 then back to 55 for Stage 11

Also, as far as I'm concerned, 8 and 11 are both heavy as hell but at least with 11 there are lighter options

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2019, 07:33:10 PM »
^ Weird, stage 8 were always listed as 55mm tall and then they went down to 53.5 for Stage 9 and 10 then back to 55 for Stage 11

Also, as far as I'm concerned, 8 and 11 are both heavy as hell but at least with 11 there are lighter options

They could very well be 53mm, getting trucks to sit totally flat for measurement is always a pain, but they're noticeably shorter than 11's. Same height as my Aces. That jenkem article kept reiterating that 7/8's were 55mm tall and that 11's were going to go back to that, but when I brought it up in a separate thread someone pointed out they absolutely were not 55mm. I don't know if any Indy was ever that tall before the 11. 

And for sure, still heavy. And with the bonus of being able to get forged hollows with the 11's, which is what I rode (and still do sometimes) before I switched to Aces. I'd still love to see something from Indy that takes the best parts of their old designs, which is what they were going for with the 11's, just didn't pan out perfectly. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 07:35:22 PM by palelight »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2019, 10:33:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People forget just how shitty the kingpin clearance was on Stage 7 and Stage 8.   If they came out today, nobody would skate them and you all would be complaining about how it needs to have Stage 11 clearance

[close]

Those look fine to me maybe even perfect as the new Indy mid, just need to be updated with quality improvements like no slip axle and stronger material and such

Venture low clearance was good for me, heck even my stage XI lows have decent clearance

Only royals, yes the new one even the standards with the reg kingpin, have clearance issues

Not as good as a krux, Indy or any of the hi trucks that you can easily Smith to feeble without a scratch but good enough you don’t stick just from an uneven 50-50
[close]

Maybe this angle will help.  trust me, there is almost no clearance on Stage 8's.  there is less than the Royal's you're talking about.

Nobody gave a shit about Stage 8's until Rowley said they're all he will skate.  They were heavy as hell, 55mm tall and had almost no kingpin clearance.  You can like the turn of them but otherwise they were shit trucks

Out of curiosity I checked setups I have in my garage. I have the royals on one of my kids boards and stage 7s on one of mine. Royals (inverted kingpin) have about 2/3 the clearance of the stage 7s, which have half the clearance of stage 11s.  Royal clearance was maybe a tiny more than my stage 6s that have stupid long kingpins.

All have better clearance than my mini logos.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:46:03 PM by backinaction »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2019, 12:59:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Out of curiosity I checked setups I have in my garage. I have the royals on one of my kids boards and stage 7s on one of mine. Royals (inverted kingpin) have about 2/3 the clearance of the stage 7s, which have half the clearance of stage 11s.  Royal clearance was maybe a tiny more than my stage 6s that have stupid long kingpins.

All have better clearance than my mini logos.

Stage 7's had totally fine kingpin clearance, especially for the time. 8's are laughably bad, you can almost rest a ruler flat between the hanger and kingpin nut. Doesn't seem to bother Gilbert Crockett however.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2019, 01:01:16 AM »
Since there are no more independent low trucks anymore. Indy will be dropping Indy trucks in mid height to replace the lows. I don’t know when.

They are supposed to have inverted kingpin as well.

I hope they make them in hollow hangers.

I guess low trucks are a dying breed. I still ride lows and I guess only venture trucks still make lows. Out of Indy, venture and thunder.

This certainly piques my interest as a person who has done inverted kingpin conversions on at least 4 sets of Indys over the decade before switching back to Thunder (an old stage 8 set was easiest, they were before splined kingpins so you could just seat the nut in the hex cavity on the bottom. But as others had said, the inital kingpin clearance on the 8's sucked, so the Grindking kingpin was almost a necessity.)

The Stage 8 hanger looks so much better, with a more graceful looking yolk to it. If they could match those aesthetics and turning geometry, while fixing axle slip and kingpin clearance (inverted kingpin will for sure help)... AND offer lighter titanium or hollow axel versions... I might actually consider buying a made-in-China set of Indy's even though I had sworn I would not after news broke they were bailing on USA production.
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 06:11:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Since there are no more independent low trucks anymore. Indy will be dropping Indy trucks in mid height to replace the lows. I don’t know when.

I guess low trucks are a dying breed. I still ride lows and I guess only venture trucks still make lows. Out of Indy, venture and thunder.
[close]

This certainly piques my interest as a person who has done inverted kingpin conversions on at least 4 sets of Indys over the decade before switching back to Thunder (an old stage 8 set was easiest, they were before splined kingpins so you could just seat the nut in the hex cavity on the bottom. But as others had said, the inital kingpin clearance on the 8's sucked, so the Grindking kingpin was almost a necessity.)

The Stage 8 hanger looks so much better, with a more graceful looking yolk to it. If they could match those aesthetics and turning geometry, while fixing axle slip and kingpin clearance (inverted kingpin will for sure help)... AND offer lighter titanium or hollow axel versions... I might actually consider buying a made-in-China set of Indy's even though I had sworn I would not after news broke they were bailing on USA production.

100%. First reason I hated stage 9 was this. Hanger was perfect, if it ain't broke don't fix it

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2019, 10:58:18 PM »
I know your all gonna disagree but is it me or the thunder 148 and up hangar design kinda resemble the same shape as an old stage 7/8

The way the contours are to the pivot stem

The shape is very similar besides the missing extra meaty bar of metal that Indy’s are known for in the grind area
yes

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2019, 09:12:56 AM »
I know your all gonna disagree but is it me or the thunder 148 and up hangar design kinda resemble the same shape as an old stage 7/8

The way the contours are to the pivot stem

The shape is very similar besides the missing extra meaty bar of metal that Indy’s are known for in the grind area

Let’s see some side by side pics.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
For anyone looking we still have a couple sets of the low independets in 129,139 and on sale.
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Trucks/Independent/p/Independent-Trucks-Stage-11-Low-Polished-x26707344.htm

Also saw the new mid, had a sample for a rider to try.I didn't get to scrutinize them, but at some point they will be out.

stets

• Rep: 106
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »
For anyone looking we still have a couple sets of the low independets in 129,139 and on sale.
http://www.35thave.com/shop/Skate/Trucks/Independent/p/Independent-Trucks-Stage-11-Low-Polished-x26707344.htm

Also saw the new mid, had a sample for a rider to try.I didn't get to scrutinize them, but at some point they will be out.

Since you saw it... can you confirm if the new mid has an inverted Grind King style kingpin??
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

ballintoohard

« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 07:38:34 PM »
Where on Earth did Crockett say he was riding Stage 7/8 and are there pics?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »
Where on Earth did Crockett say he was riding Stage 7/8 and are there pics?

I'll do some more digging later if you want, he's mentioned it in a few interviews. And much like Rowley has done, he's put it out there that he's willing to buy Stage 8's from anyone selling nos sets. About halfway through the article the TM mentions it.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2018/05/08/look-cult-independent-trucks/

I don't know if he still does, he posted pic of his setup on insta recently and it looks like he has 11's on there. They have the oval yoke, which is an easy tell for 11's. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:01:51 PM by palelight »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2019, 09:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s a clear answer
[close]

[close]

I’m on my second pair of ace 03 lows and somethings up with either the bushing fit or the pivot cup

My pivot cups keep sinking out of the hole and it makes it seem that the pivot stem isn’t securely in the pivot hole

Now I got a warranty set but yeah somethings up with the pivot cup area or something, I guess basically it makes the turning either looser or not stable but I’ll keep riding to see what’s up

I like the way they feel and grind and a low version works for me cause I prefer lows, but man that Indy mid

The last time I rode ACE lows (easily 7 years ago) I had bones HARDS in them. It sounds counter intuitive but it worked somehow.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2019, 12:31:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Since you saw it... can you confirm if the new mid has an inverted Grind King style kingpin??
The ones I saw did not have the inverted kingpin.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s a clear answer
[close]

[close]

[close]

The last time I rode ACE lows (easily 7 years ago) I had bones HARDS in them. It sounds counter intuitive but it worked somehow.

This actually makes the most sense to me: I ride venture lo’s with bones hards all the time. Turn is snappy, or more snappy. Snappier. I’d fuck with ace lo’s for sure

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2019, 01:30:39 PM »
For kingpin clearance reference (Not mine)

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »
For kingpin clearance reference (Not mine)

Those are Stage 7's. Here's the clearance on my 8's,
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:16:57 AM by palelight »

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »
Here's the setup for my park board.
Stage VII baseplate, 144 Stage XI hollow hanger, bones bushings, krux downlow kingpin, riptide pivots
Height is 53mm, weight is 355 grms

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2019, 09:43:47 AM »
Stage VII baseplate, 144 Stage XI hollow hanger, bones bushings, krux downlow kingpin, riptide pivots

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »

Not to be a hating nerd but how did you determine they’re 53mm tall when your using the standard cast plates?

Indy’s height is either the hangars shape/pivot stem length or the thickness of the baseplates

The reason the stage X were 53mm tall with cast plates was if you compare the hangar on the X and the XI the XI pivot stem is elongated to give it more turning pivot and clearance but has the same shape and triangle ratio with the kingpin/geo to feel like the signature Indy. Stage X pivot stem is really short with barely any room for a deep lean and turn clearance 
yes

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2019, 07:56:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not to be a hating nerd but how did you determine they’re 53mm tall when your using the standard cast plates?

Indy’s height is either the hangars shape/pivot stem length or the thickness of the baseplates

The reason the stage X were 53mm tall with cast plates was if you compare the hangar on the X and the XI the XI pivot stem is elongated to give it more turning pivot and clearance but has the same shape and triangle ratio with the kingpin/geo to feel like the signature Indy. Stage X pivot stem is really short with barely any room for a deep lean and turn clearance

These are older bushings, if i threw in some brand spankin new indy stock bushings, they'd probably be 55mm. And the bottom washers aren't stock, just simple flat washers. i measure using a metal MM ruler.

on another setup i have a pair of 146 stage XII w/ bones/krux downlow, and these 7/11s feel exactly the same, just lighter. i love em

Diocletian

« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2019, 08:28:37 AM »
Awesome trucks, shifty! I never thought to throw a stage 11 hanger on an older baseplate but a titanium 149-159 on top of a cast VII plate with the Krux pin is something on my radar now.

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2019, 02:17:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I also ride lows, sad to hear too cause I did like my 3 sets of Indy lows cause they were legit turning low trucks but hey

That mid with an inverted pin doesn’t sound bad! I wanna see these so bad

Can’t wait

The only legit low trucks I’ve tried so far still in production would have to be ace lows, mini logo, and if you want to consider it any thunder 147 especially the lights, hollow lights, and titanium’s with the forged plates making them around 48-50mm tall

Ventures are okay but don’t turn enough for me and I haven’t tried destructo lows yet

Royal lows are trash, krux lows are odd, and the illustrious thunder 147 low were terrible

145 low are okay

If you still haven’t tried Destructo Lows yet I’d say give them a try. As a kid I only skated really low trucks and when I went from Venture Lows to Destructo I was blown away.  They turned way better and didn’t feel like they were designed to only be ridden right. I do think my Ventures typically lasted longer but idk it could have been due to progressing and grinding the Destructos down quicker due to that plus gaining weight.

I’ve switched to Thunder Hollow Lights now but I might have to give Destructos a go again soon even if it’s just for nostalgia.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2019, 05:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I also ride lows, sad to hear too cause I did like my 3 sets of Indy lows cause they were legit turning low trucks but hey

Can’t wait

The only legit low trucks I’ve tried so far still in production would have to be ace lows, mini logo, and if you want to consider it any thunder 147 especially the lights, hollow lights, and titanium’s with the forged plates making them around 48-50mm tall

Ventures are okay but don’t turn enough for me and I haven’t tried destructo lows yet

Royal lows are trash, krux lows are odd, and the illustrious thunder 147 low were terrible

145 low are okay
[close]

If you still haven’t tried Destructo Lows yet I’d say give them a try. As a kid I only skated really low trucks and when I went from Venture Lows to Destructo I was blown away.  They turned way better and didn’t feel like they were designed to only be ridden right. I do think my Ventures typically lasted longer but idk it could have been due to progressing and grinding the Destructos down quicker due to that plus gaining weight.

I’ve switched to Thunder Hollow Lights now but I might have to give Destructos a go again soon even if it’s just for nostalgia.
Do it! I'm skating d1 magnesium mids now and they're great!

Edit: Awhile back they did 20% discount codes for all their team riders, they might still work, check instagram.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:28:40 AM by bbk »

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2019, 06:52:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Can’t wait

145 low are okay
[close]

[close]
Do it! I'm skating d1 magnesium mids now and they're great!

Edit: Awhile back they did 20% discount codes for all their team riders, they might still work, check instagram.

Currently riding the same. Their great