Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75229 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #750 on: December 02, 2023, 05:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve skated them both…..very different….mindys are way less wiggly and will prolly feel heftier…..more stable.  Have you thought about a plain ole thunder too?  Why do you want to change…..
[close]

I’m not a fan of Thunders.  I really like low trucks and I really like trucks that don’t push out the wheelbase a lot.  The Ace lows have been great, just exploring other options that fit those two criteria…
[close]

Have or would you consider trying Mini-logo trucks? I've swapped out the pivot cups and bushings for indy hards 94a and found them to be pretty decent trucks that are both low and don't seem to push the wheelbase out loads. I don't really do lots of grinds though so can't vouch for them in that regard.
[close]

I have...I'm a pretty strong supporter of them...I just don't skate them....fair ball though, they should be in the same conversation of low truck options....

Occasionally I'll throw on some 8.38 ML; they're some of the lowest of the low trucks, so be warned (but still turn great).

They're light, turn and grind just as well as anything out there... Scrubs will hate on them because they're ML and they haven't even ridden them. KP clearance could be better.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #751 on: December 03, 2023, 10:32:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Here's a question that I've been wondering for you indy guys, (sorry if I sound really stupid asking this) would I be right in thinking you could use independent mid hangers with a standard non-ikp baseplate? Would the only issue be reduced kingpin clearance? Has anyone tried it?

I was looking at some old stage 8 indys and the kingpin clearance doesn't look amazing, I started thinking that you could potentially just use a standard baseplate with a mids hanger (perhaps for those that don't do tons of grinds?).

I'm sure its something that has been answered in previous posts but honestly I haven't read through all pages of this thread.

PS I'm a Venture guy but do like the way indy mids look, especially in the smaller sizes.

[close]

You can, but the hanger yoke hole doesn't line up 1:1 (mine didn't anyway; same for putting the regs hanger on a the mid cast plate (not the stand alone IKP plate)...no idea if this is still the case.

Pretty sure I've got a post in this thread about it.

Thats really interesting, cheers for the insight. It's a shame they don't quite line up/are fully compatible as it might of been a quick fix for those with the wobbly ikp issue.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve skated them both…..very different….mindys are way less wiggly and will prolly feel heftier…..more stable.  Have you thought about a plain ole thunder too?  Why do you want to change…..
[close]

I’m not a fan of Thunders.  I really like low trucks and I really like trucks that don’t push out the wheelbase a lot.  The Ace lows have been great, just exploring other options that fit those two criteria…
[close]

Have or would you consider trying Mini-logo trucks? I've swapped out the pivot cups and bushings for indy hards 94a and found them to be pretty decent trucks that are both low and don't seem to push the wheelbase out loads. I don't really do lots of grinds though so can't vouch for them in that regard.
[close]

I have...I'm a pretty strong supporter of them...I just don't skate them....fair ball though, they should be in the same conversation of low truck options....
[close]

Occasionally I'll throw on some 8.38 ML; they're some of the lowest of the low trucks, so be warned (but still turn great).

They're light, turn and grind just as well as anything out there... Scrubs will hate on them because they're ML and they haven't even ridden them. KP clearance could be better.

Nice one for the replies, its amazing what effect branding can have our buying decisions. I agree the mini-logos are decent, I tried mine with risers and larger (56mm-59mm) wheels and thought the turning was good, with the pivot cups and bushings changed I found them quite controllable with a good return to centre if that make sense.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #752 on: December 03, 2023, 12:16:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here's a question that I've been wondering for you indy guys, (sorry if I sound really stupid asking this) would I be right in thinking you could use independent mid hangers with a standard non-ikp baseplate? Would the only issue be reduced kingpin clearance? Has anyone tried it?

I was looking at some old stage 8 indys and the kingpin clearance doesn't look amazing, I started thinking that you could potentially just use a standard baseplate with a mids hanger (perhaps for those that don't do tons of grinds?).

I'm sure its something that has been answered in previous posts but honestly I haven't read through all pages of this thread.

PS I'm a Venture guy but do like the way indy mids look, especially in the smaller sizes.

[close]

You can, but the hanger yoke hole doesn't line up 1:1 (mine didn't anyway; same for putting the regs hanger on a the mid cast plate (not the stand alone IKP plate)...no idea if this is still the case.

[close]

Thats really interesting, cheers for the insight. It's a shame they don't quite line up/are fully compatible as it might of been a quick fix for those with the wobbly ikp issue.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice one for the replies, its amazing what effect branding can have our buying decisions. I agree the mini-logos are decent, I tried mine with risers and larger (56mm-59mm) wheels and thought the turning was good, with the pivot cups and bushings changed I found them quite controllable with a good return to centre if that make sense.

I like their bushings (the top is ever so slightly lower profile) but their pivot cups are hard as hell. Truck looks way better now that they removed the ML on the hanger, not gonna lie.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 11:49:33 PM by Xen »

ambiguousclarity

• Rep: 11
« Reply #753 on: December 03, 2023, 09:57:10 PM »
I’ve been running 8.38 ML hangers on Indy mids the past month with a bones bottom and ML top bushing combo. It allows for the kingpin nut to be tightened down completely and desired stability/looseness. It’s a back up setup that I’m preferring to ride at the moment.

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 20
« Reply #754 on: December 04, 2023, 10:33:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like their bushings (the top is ever so slightly lower profile) but their pivot cups are hard as hell. Truck looks way better now that they removed the ML on the hanger, not gonna lie.

Yes I remember removing those ML pivot cups (I think they were like a white hard plastic), the stock bushings seemed too soft for me but good quality none the less.

I’ve been running 8.38 ML hangers on Indy mids the past month with a bones bottom and ML top bushing combo. It allows for the kingpin nut to be tightened down completely and desired stability/looseness. It’s a back up setup that I’m preferring to ride at the moment.

Interesting combination, its good to try mixing things up to find what works for you.

Obijuan91

• Rep: 16
« Reply #755 on: December 15, 2023, 11:11:07 AM »
Skate warehouse gots royals for 30$ out the door for anyone that wants that mid but tired of dealing with Indy’s shitty kingpin.

Grothmog

• Rep: 2
« Reply #756 on: March 08, 2024, 12:12:06 AM »
Hello, I'm trying to make decision for my little skater. Would Mid Forged Hollow  or Forged Titanium be better choice in 139 size?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #757 on: March 08, 2024, 12:17:08 AM »
Mid forged are 50.5mm tall
Ti are forged plates but sit at 53.5mm tall

What size wheels are you planning on using?

Do you have to have Indy?

Grothmog

« Reply #758 on: March 08, 2024, 12:35:33 AM »

No I don't Indy was recommendent along with thunders by her instructor and since I dont have prior experience skating I'm making gear decisions based on forums opinions. To get full story My four year old (tall and posture of 7-8 year old kids) started skating around 5 months ago I got her ripndip 8 inch board (she loves cats) independent forged hollow trucks and bones formula x 53 mm wheels. Since soon after starting she wanted take lessons 2 times a week and is making great progress so I decided to try skateboarding too and while buying gear i can up little one specs a little. Already went with SC VX Everslick 8 inch board (asta pantera this time :)) tought about changing trucks to titanium (as direct upgrade) or forged hollow Mids with 52mm wheels (it's hard decision for me with that that's why i made account here - instructor said it's no difference between low and high trucks) or ?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #759 on: March 08, 2024, 03:01:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No I don't Indy was recommendent along with thunders by her instructor and since I dont have prior experience skating I'm making gear decisions based on forums opinions. To get full story My four year old (tall and posture of 7-8 year old kids) started skating around 5 months ago I got her ripndip 8 inch board (she loves cats) independent forged hollow trucks and bones formula x 53 mm wheels. Since soon after starting she wanted take lessons 2 times a week and is making great progress so I decided to try skateboarding too and while buying gear i can up little one specs a little. Already went with SC VX Everslick 8 inch board (asta pantera this time :)) tought about changing trucks to titanium (as direct upgrade) or forged hollow Mids with 52mm wheels (it's hard decision for me with that that's why i made account here - instructor said it's no difference between low and high trucks) or ?

One of the most interesting things I have seen with people in that kind of role is how they will often recommend the biest / highest price / premium products for kids who are often nowhere near the ability level to really appreciate or fully use the product to the potential that a pro skateboarder or even seasoned individual would, no matter what age.

If you have the funds, sure go for whatever works - my choice would be regular / hollow / ti axle normal height trucks over any version of mids any day - but overall board size, width, dimensions can also be a very important thing.

Some juniors will excel with a slightly bigger board, some not do so well, but a lighter board will often be key in being able to do some things more easily.  Most learners will do just fine on any board, from a decent budget complete, right up to a top of the line, highest price pro setup, so quite often, getting the most fancy and expensive gear out there is not necessary.

Are they skating at a local park, or in a Woodward style training facility and what sort of things are they doing - more just rolling up and down stuff, or actually doing tricks and learning more technical things, lip tricks, airs, or whatever like that?

Does the person recommending the products also work in a shop / get any kickbacks from selling or recommending products?

Is your four year old learning and progressing past what their current setup does for them, really?

* It is a big difference between heights of trucks, to someone who knows how to use them, so that comment alone about "no difference" gives me a big red flag right there.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Grothmog

« Reply #760 on: March 08, 2024, 11:51:46 PM »
One of the most interesting things I have seen with people in that kind of role is how they will often recommend the biest / highest price / premium products for kids who are often nowhere near the ability level to really appreciate or fully use the product to the potential that a pro skateboarder or even seasoned individual would, no matter what age.

If you have the funds, sure go for whatever works - my choice would be regular / hollow / ti axle normal height trucks over any version of mids any day - but overall board size, width, dimensions can also be a very important thing.
Recommended was good quality complete. I went with custom skateboard on my own accord - ability to get preffered skateboard / grip tape graphic was most important factor in this decision. I'm well aware kid won't appreciate or fully use the product. And since I already went with custom skateboard this opened trucks question - lighter indy? mids? even lighter thunders? Trucks are still kind of black box for me. Since right now i'm already buying skateboard for myself I started wordering if lower trucks or lighter would be more comfortable for kid.

Are they skating at a local park, or in a Woodward style training facility and what sort of things are they doing - more just rolling up and down stuff, or actually doing tricks and learning more technical things, lip tricks, airs, or whatever like that?
If weather allows it then they are skating at local park. They are progressing towards doing tricks. Right now she is confident with simpler stuff riding, turning, tic-tacs  and drop-ins.

Does the person recommending the products also work in a shop / get any kickbacks from selling or recommending products? 
No I'm ordering everything from internet.

Is your four year old learning and progressing past what their current setup does for them, really?
No way :).

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #761 on: March 09, 2024, 01:52:17 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the replies - it really does help.

Might have come across a bit strong and didn't mean to but at least just the whole thing of getting out and rolling around and learning - putting in the time and effort, in as safe and easy environment as possible - is the main thing.

I had dealt with various types of running lessons for well over twenty something years, skate workshops for local groups during school holidays, on my own or in groups with other instructors, doing organised lessons, even working in specific environments with "wonder kids" and others who literally learned anything and everything I could teach them and far surpassed my own skill level, but the one and most important thing to me is that whoever wants to learn can do so and enjoy it, no matter their age, ability or anything else and I prefer to do that on my own terms, no timeframes, no organised lessons, no classes, etc.

It is so good just to get out and see people learning and progressing though, so that is what keeps me happy in times when I might be a bit lacking in anything that I can really do, or compared to what I used to be able to do.

Now with regard to product, the differences in even a single mm or two can be huge in skateboarding, so with heights of trucks, that really comes into play a lot, which is why if you have Indy forged hollow trucks in the right width, I would stick with those.  Wheel size is second to that, so anything from 52 - 54 mm is common, a little bigger for more skatepark / bowl / transition skating, but I think you should be ok with the Bones 53 mm wheels.  Bones wheels variants or Spitfire Formula Four wheels are the two main wheel brands, with everything else below that.  Softer wheels will usually allow for less slip and a bit more grip on any surface, but most are around 99 to 101 duro and are normal, 97 a little softer, anything less is considered maybe too soft for regular skating, although the Bones / Powell formulas like Dragons are said to be really good in 93 duro too.

Boards, bearings, bolts, grip or anything else are down to personal opinion, sure some might be better than others, but for the most part, the different concaves on various board brands will provide a better experience, or a not so good one, if they are too steep, too flat, etc.

You will probably get a lot of different opinions on different brands, but for the most part the more well known tried and tested brands are going to work, more so than just the local guy starting his own company and trying to sell product at the skatepark, but again, that is up to the individual whatever they choose to buy and ride.

Sorry that probably is a bit too much, but I do tend to go a bit too far with regard to skateboard product.

Always happy to help anyway.

Grothmog

« Reply #762 on: March 10, 2024, 06:46:34 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks for the replies - it really does help.

Might have come across a bit strong and didn't mean to but at least just the whole thing of getting out and rolling around and learning - putting in the time and effort, in as safe and easy environment as possible - is the main thing.

I had dealt with various types of running lessons for well over twenty something years, skate workshops for local groups during school holidays, on my own or in groups with other instructors, doing organised lessons, even working in specific environments with "wonder kids" and others who literally learned anything and everything I could teach them and far surpassed my own skill level, but the one and most important thing to me is that whoever wants to learn can do so and enjoy it, no matter their age, ability or anything else and I prefer to do that on my own terms, no timeframes, no organised lessons, no classes, etc.

It is so good just to get out and see people learning and progressing though, so that is what keeps me happy in times when I might be a bit lacking in anything that I can really do, or compared to what I used to be able to do.

Now with regard to product, the differences in even a single mm or two can be huge in skateboarding, so with heights of trucks, that really comes into play a lot, which is why if you have Indy forged hollow trucks in the right width, I would stick with those.  Wheel size is second to that, so anything from 52 - 54 mm is common, a little bigger for more skatepark / bowl / transition skating, but I think you should be ok with the Bones 53 mm wheels.  Bones wheels variants or Spitfire Formula Four wheels are the two main wheel brands, with everything else below that.  Softer wheels will usually allow for less slip and a bit more grip on any surface, but most are around 99 to 101 duro and are normal, 97 a little softer, anything less is considered maybe too soft for regular skating, although the Bones / Powell formulas like Dragons are said to be really good in 93 duro too.

Boards, bearings, bolts, grip or anything else are down to personal opinion, sure some might be better than others, but for the most part, the different concaves on various board brands will provide a better experience, or a not so good one, if they are too steep, too flat, etc.

You will probably get a lot of different opinions on different brands, but for the most part the more well known tried and tested brands are going to work, more so than just the local guy starting his own company and trying to sell product at the skatepark, but again, that is up to the individual whatever they choose to buy and ride.

Sorry that probably is a bit too much, but I do tend to go a bit too far with regard to skateboard product.

Thanks for all advice. This really opened my eyes.
forged hollow trucks in the right width, I would stick with those
- since I need another pair of trucks anyway I went ahead and ordered 147 forged thunders 49mm height - just to try something different and see which one will be more comfortable. Will 52mm wheels be alright with these or i need to get smaller?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #763 on: March 10, 2024, 04:49:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks for all advice. This really opened my eyes.
Expand Quote
forged hollow trucks in the right width, I would stick with those
[close]
- since I need another pair of trucks anyway I went ahead and ordered 147 forged thunders 49mm height - just to try something different and see which one will be more comfortable. Will 52mm wheels be alright with these or i need to get smaller?

Try them as is first with whatever wheels you have there, but you can always put a riser under them to bring them up a bit more, rather than getting smaller wheels, which will not roll as fast and get stuck on anything way more easily.

Most Thunder trucks I find are more comfortable for me with a piece of rubber I cut out, a bike tube is thinner and works too, but I have some offcuts that are about about 2 mm in height I use for cast plates or even a pre made 1/8" riser for lower trucks otherwise I tend to wheelbite a whole lot more.  Lighter bodies would find it easier - seen a set of 145s with 56 mm wheels and zero wheelbite on a kids board the other day.

Just down to how much they turn or lean, so for a small or lightweight body, that is almost none.

If turning becomes an issue too, eg they can't turn enough, take off the bottom washer and try that, before buying softer or other bushings.  Free and easy to put the washer back on if they are too loose, but I have done that a lot for kids over the years too.