Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 75136 times)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • Overweight and Underprepared
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2020, 01:49:34 PM »
I am a big fan of the indy lows and am looking forward to the mids. I think for my first set I will run 50 mm wheels instead of 52 or 53 just to get used to them.  It took me a little to get used to the indy lows when I first got them but it was well worth it. 
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 12:24:42 PM by backinaction »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 987
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2020, 10:22:29 PM »
Good to see NHS looking out for small shops! Gotta keep the food court friends fed I guess?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 851
« Reply #244 on: September 23, 2020, 04:16:57 AM »
So what would the height on a "mid"  with cast plates vs forged?

If I buy these can I just swap the plates over to a pair of titanium hangers and get the same geometry but lighter, or are there changes to the hangers as well?

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2020, 04:35:52 AM »

If I buy these can I just swap the plates over to a pair of titanium hangers and get the same geometry but lighter, or are there changes to the hangers as well?

Inverted kingpin stock, I don't think it will be easy to swap baseplates

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2020, 07:31:55 AM »

My understanding of these new plates is that the difference between mid and high is all in the hanger (ala Venture) so you could put a ti or hollow hanger on these. They plan to sell the new plates separately in the spring.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #247 on: September 23, 2020, 08:47:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My understanding of these new plates is that the difference between mid and high is all in the hanger (ala Venture) so you could put a ti or hollow hanger on these. They plan to sell the new plates separately in the spring.

Spring? Wow.
My wallet is telling me no. But my madness, my madness is telling me y-y-yeahhh
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #248 on: September 23, 2020, 09:05:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Spring? Wow.

Yeah, I've been super settled on Ace but am going to try the Indy mid 159s because I have some weird fetish for 52mm high trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: September 23, 2020, 09:11:15 AM »

Current Cast 55mm vs. Current Forged 53.5mm vs  vs New Cast Indy Mid 52mm

As noted, all the work to lower the truck was done via the hanger (at least that is what we're being told) so using a hanger from current model indys + the mid plate is the same as riding a current set of standards (but you get the pin).

1.5mm difference - I'd imagine you could drop the cast plate of the mid and go to a forged hollow pin plate and get it down to 50.5mm, and shave off some weight; no clue if the inverted kingpin will work in forged...I'll check when they arrive as I have some forged plates I could sacrifice.

Good to see NHS looking out for small shops! Gotta keep the food court friends fed I guess?

Regardless of personal feeling towards Zumies, NHS or any other brand, contracts are contracts.

I don't see people bitching about DLX dropping spitfires to zumiez first (which they've done with tablets) and we've no clue what smaller shops actually got an Indy drop, I'd guess we'll see them hit this week as well.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: September 23, 2020, 11:06:53 AM »

I don't see people bitching about DLX dropping spitfires to zumiez first (which they've done with tablets) and we've no clue what smaller shops actually got an Indy drop, I'd guess we'll see them hit this week as well.

We also don't know who else has them in house already (including locals) and just taking longer to put them up on their websites. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: September 23, 2020, 12:49:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

We also don't know who else has them in house already (including locals) and just taking longer to put them up on their websites. 

Yup. I doubt those local shops without a web/storefront can push them like Zumiez (or even those with them: CCS or SW or WS or SoCal) would be able to...but you have to explain things to people who might not understand how retail works (I worked in retail for  boutique operations, independently owned and operated clothing / Surf and Skate shops)...besides, those shops have to call their distro and actually order specific items and quantities.

Hate Zumiez or not, they're an established network of stores that have a national inventory system, shit is ordered (probably by each individual shop or just doled out based on what sells where) HQ places an order and once shit is received it is put into, and propagated to the system. This is how you find out if you local zooomeeez has the shit you are looking to buy...

Small shops are boutiques, not chains.

Now, this also doesn't mean he wasn't right and that zumiez did get the first shipment sent out the door...

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Spring? Wow.
[close]

Yeah, I've been super settled on Ace but am going to try the Indy mid 159s because I have some weird fetish for 52mm high trucks.
May pick up the 159s just to have a truck that size.
Does anyone know if the separarte baseplates will be like the new ones that are double drilled and lack a pivot cup?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2020, 01:34:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Spring? Wow.

Get you some brah!

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
Anyone know where a fella can get find some 144 mid jawns? 
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #255 on: September 25, 2020, 11:33:51 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #256 on: September 26, 2020, 12:07:20 PM »

Maybe they prematurely sold it since link is no longer available?
probably, because indy has always said October.
I want some of the 144s but I'm gonna wait a while to cop. Interested to see what they do to the wheelbase.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: September 26, 2020, 01:05:53 PM »
Because I love you all...

Good luck A) getting it out and B) getting it into another plate, not gonna happen. It's in there tight, doesn't fall out/zero wiggle. Got to admit it's nice to have a baseplate that works with no risk of the nut falling out (no clue how film does it)

Stock pin + washer

Krux pin + washer

7g lighter using Krux Pin (meh)

Tiniest bit more grind clearance with the Krux pin (L)

You can see the underside hanger curve has changed compared to the TI Hanger; I never noticed how much shorter the front part of the forge plates are compared to cast - Mid hanger has more lean towards the center of your board than the upright-ness of the forged
(L) Indy Mid Cast Plate/Standard 144                     |    (R) Indy Forged plate TI 144

Plates flush against and edge, WB is clearly tighter than the forged/and you can see one image above that the lean of hanger is more forward than upright)
(L) Indy Mid Cast Plate/Standard 144                     |    (R) Indy Forged plate TI 144

Mid Hanger Forged plate

(L) Indy Mid Cast Plate/Standard 144                     |    (R) Indy Mid cast plate TI hanger 144

(L) Indy Forged TI 144                     |    (R) Indy Mid hanger 144 FORGED PLATE 144

(L) Indy Mid Cast Plate/Standard 144                     |    (R) Indy FORGED plate Mid Hanger Standard (50.5mm now?)

Setting them up now, will measure WB compared to the forged TI will post feedback after.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 01:46:56 PM by Xen »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #258 on: September 26, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »

Good luck A) getting it out and B) getting it into another plate, not gonna happen. It's in there tight, doesn't fall out/zero wiggle. Got to admit it's nice to have a baseplate that works with no risk of the nut falling out (no clue how film does it)

Stock pin + washer

Krux pin + washer

You can see the underside hanger curve has changed compared to the TI Hanger; I never noticed how much shorter the front part of the forge plates are compared to cast - Mid hanger has more lean towards the center of your board than the upright-ness of the forged

Plates flush against and edge, WB is clearly tighter than the forged/and you can see one image above that the lean of hanger is more forward than upright)

Mid Hanger Forged plate

(L) Indy Mid Cast Plate/Standard 144                     |    (R) Indy Mid cast plate TI hanger 144

(L) Indy Forged TI 144                     |    (R) Indy Mid hanger 144 FORGED PLATE 144

(L) Indy Mid Cast Plate/Standard 144                     |    (R) Indy FORGED plate Mid Hanger Standard (50.5mm now?)

Setting them up now, will measure WB compared to the forged TI will post feedback after.
gnar for the leg work.
seems like a pointless truck when compared to forged titaniums. might be a little more "impressive" vs standard 144s
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: September 26, 2020, 02:06:15 PM »

gnar for the leg work.
seems like a pointless truck when compared to forged titaniums. might be a little more "impressive" vs standard 144s

Totally agree (but I don't have any standards kicking around).

According to NHS' site, Standard 144 Indys are 387g, the standard mids are coming in at 397g +10g...but I can't see where that is happening...they hollowed out the pin hole more to cram the sleeve in there...but I can't see that being 10g heavier and the inverted pin seems standard weight to me (I don't have one on hand to compare); but maybe it's bulkier than the standard pin area that is pressed into the plate?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:27:06 PM by Xen »

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #260 on: September 26, 2020, 02:50:10 PM »
Bricks!

Why not make threads in the baseplate itself, instead of a nut?
To me the clearance looks bad, and bcuz of the design, its a larger surface to "grind" on, vs a regular kingpin & nut.
So you cant make dip as much, but you might get less hangups.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: September 26, 2020, 03:30:09 PM »

Baseplate is aluminum and cast.  The threads would be easily buggered. 

In addition, the insert has nylock on it.  If you didn't have the nylock then the kingpin would unthread and get looser as you skated.

My guess is that this is replaceable - although it may take a big hammer.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
Can you throw on the Krux kingpin on the mids?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2020, 04:40:00 PM »

Damn dude, I know there's a bunch of pics but come on...

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2020, 05:59:36 PM »
Because your kingpin would snap 5x as often

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »
Solid work Xen.

Now the biggest question, how well do they skate???

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1198
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
Wow thanks for the nerd specs Xen.  You’ve given me a lot to over-analyze.   ;)
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2020, 08:08:09 PM »
So the
Solid work Xen.

Now the biggest question, how well do they skate???

They skate like Indys :P

Coming off the 53.5mm forged....I can't tell the difference except for the weight...as I swapped in the same bushings and cups I was using on the forged TI.

They are pulling in the WB (my pics prove it) more than forged (but not more than regular cast, as far as I remember....cast are shorter WB than forged indy??), but I can't feel any difference as I put them on a 14.1875 WB board as opposed to the 14.25WB I was riding on the forged - so it probably nulls out the 1 or 2 mm difference and what little pop feel I could muster (I'm recovering from ankle bullshit so I've been off the board for a week, I was waiting for these to arrive to justify getting on the board) they felt fine/no different?

I did pair them with some 51m spitabs vs the 52mm rictas I was on with the forged so I could tell that I was lower over all (about the height of going from 55mm standards to forged...

If you are coming from Standards, you'll notice a difference I'd wager but coming from forged...not really.

The hanger angle looks very different when you look at them side by side (like when you put a thunder next to an Indy so not sure how they kept the same geo...

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Let me expand, did you have to make any modifications?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2020, 11:25:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Let me expand, did you have to make any modifications?

Nope. Otherwise I would have noted. Unscrewed Indy inverted pin, screwed in Krux pin.