Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 74550 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #450 on: May 17, 2021, 05:50:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Posted in the trucks thread, but anyone got the intel on when the baseplates (just the baseplates) are going to be available?
[close]

NHS replied to me in January and said they’d be available early March 2021. It’s now mid May lol. If you google “independent IKP” the Canadian NHS (and several other Canadian sites) already have them. No clue why the States haven’t gotten them. I even reached out to a shop owner buddy and he hasn’t heard anything about getting them in anytime soon.

I have seen them in Australia too, although they sold out almost instantly as there was only very limited stock.

No idea why they have not been released, but I thought only a few US places got them and also sold out super quickly.

Still quite a few available when searching, as said from Canada.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ish_wav

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #451 on: May 17, 2021, 08:43:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Posted in the trucks thread, but anyone got the intel on when the baseplates (just the baseplates) are going to be available?
[close]

NHS replied to me in January and said they’d be available early March 2021. It’s now mid May lol. If you google “independent IKP” the Canadian NHS (and several other Canadian sites) already have them. No clue why the States haven’t gotten them. I even reached out to a shop owner buddy and he hasn’t heard anything about getting them in anytime soon.
[close]

I have seen them in Australia too, although they sold out almost instantly as there was only very limited stock.

No idea why they have not been released, but I thought only a few US places got them and also sold out super quickly.

Still quite a few available when searching, as said from Canada.

I’ve been religiously searching for them daily since March, I haven’t seen a single USA seller though. I want to throw Indy 144 hollow hangers on there so I’m at the point where I’ll buy Indy mids just for that reason.

John Kreese

• Rep: -22
« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2021, 08:11:10 AM »
The new bases are dropping soon. There are a lot of online shops that have Mids currently. I swear by the new kingpin.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #453 on: May 18, 2021, 10:39:46 AM »
The new bases are dropping soon. There are a lot of online shops that have Mids currently. I swear by the new kingpin.

The mids are out there for sure (wonder how much old stock vs. new)? The Tiago model dropped recently tho...I tried gleaning info from someone that would know and they've been tighter than a bull’s asshole in fly season about them.

If I had to guess it's just manufacturing timing/runs, waves rather than monthly drops.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
« Reply #454 on: May 18, 2021, 12:08:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The mids are out there for sure (wonder how much old stock vs. new)? The Tiago model dropped recently tho...I tried gleaning info from someone that would know and they've been tighter than a bull’s asshole in fly season about them.

If I had to guess it's just manufacturing timing/runs, waves rather than monthly drops.

It’s strange to me that Canada and UK shops got the base plates and the States haven’t. It doesn’t make much sense

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2021, 03:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It’s strange to me that Canada and UK shops got the base plates and the States haven’t. It doesn’t make much sense

Import issues maybe?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #456 on: May 19, 2021, 07:01:21 AM »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #457 on: May 19, 2021, 07:10:43 AM »
They're up for sale on https://socalskateshop.com/Independent-Trucks-IKP-Baseplate-And-Kingpin.html

And 11 in stock.  Interesting they wouldn't come up on a search if you used "inverted" though.

I think others will be very happy you posted that too.  Gnar for the ones who cannot for you.

I’ve been religiously searching for them daily since March, I haven’t seen a single USA seller though. I want to throw Indy 144 hollow hangers on there so I’m at the point where I’ll buy Indy mids just for that reason.

Anybody know when the Indy inverted kingpin plates are going to be available in the US? I've seen them in some Canada and UK online stores, but no formal announcements or anything.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #458 on: May 19, 2021, 07:34:51 AM »
@Firebert gnarred. Safe to assume that price is for a set of two, right?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #459 on: May 19, 2021, 07:41:42 AM »
@Firebert gnarred. Safe to assume that price is for a set of two, right?
Yeah, otherwise they'd be more expensive than the whole set of mids

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #460 on: May 19, 2021, 07:57:22 AM »
If I put Indy tis on the inverted base plate. Will that put me at standard Indy height with reduced weight or forged plate height with a slight smaller wheelbase?

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #461 on: May 19, 2021, 11:06:14 AM »

And 11 in stock.  Interesting they wouldn't come up on a search if you used "inverted" though.

I think others will be very happy you posted that too.  Gnar for the ones who cannot for you.

Aaaand 9 in stock. Ordered two sets. Gonna try some 149 stage 8 hangers with a Kreper kingpin for my next setup and some 169 Ti stage 11 hangers with a Krux hollow downlow kingpin for a light wide curb/park setup.  Thanks for posting Firebert, and thanks for Gnaring the good man for us Mbrimson88!!
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #462 on: May 19, 2021, 11:07:09 AM »
If I put Indy tis on the inverted base plate. Will that put me at standard Indy height with reduced weight or forged plate height with a slight smaller wheelbase?

I did this when I had the mids. If I remember correctly, all the height reduction was put into the hanger (and then they beefed up the hanger material to give better clearance for their shitty IKP design). The baseplates are standard cast height.

Mid plate + ti Hangers = 55 mm + reduced weight (use the krux pin even lighter)

Mid Hanger + Forged hollow plate = 51mm-ish truck - reduced weight

After skating the Mids, the new AF1s, I can't do heavy trucks. I'm just a bitch that way. If I was skating transition I would give no fucks about truck weight.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: May 19, 2021, 11:18:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did this when I had the mids. If I remember correctly, all the height reduction was put into the hanger (and then they beefed up the hanger material to give better clearance for their shitty IKP design). The baseplates are standard cast height.

After skating the Mids, the new AF1s, I can't do heavy trucks. I'm just a bitch that way. If I was skating transition I would give no fucks about truck weight.

I feel you on this. AF1s are kinda hit or miss for me right now. Kinda thinking of setting up thunders  and brushing up on ledge tricks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #464 on: May 19, 2021, 11:56:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I feel you on this. AF1s are kinda hit or miss for me right now. Kinda thinking of setting up thunders  and brushing up on ledge tricks.

Had them setup and did a slappy day, anything works for slappies and I even prefer heavier trucks for it...but I also flip and ledge and I just found the AF155s to be heavyass with an 8.5 and 54mm wheels...I dig the turn tho (was on 159 Indy before or 149 Tensor) and I'm just going throw on my Indy forged TI and keep the 159s on the curb crusher.

creep3000

• Rep: 2
« Reply #465 on: May 23, 2021, 08:11:51 AM »
So I bought a pair of 139 mids and it seemed like the kingpin nut wasn't staying tightened, seemed like my one truck would loosen by itself (even after tightening it down enough so that it wouldn't normally loosen by itself).  Basically, I would see the kingpin nut at one position during the sesh, then look down at it, say, half an hour later, and it seemed to be in a totally different position, which bugged me out.

I chalked it up to a defective pair (?), and decided to try another pair- this time, 149 mids:

On this pair, to make sure nothing was just in my head, I marked a line in sharpie at "12 o' clock" on the kingpin nut after tightening the trucks enough to make sure the kingpin wouldn't (normally) loosen by itself .  Sure enough, by the end of the second session with the 149s, the line I marked was now at around "8 o' clock".  I did not touch the kingpin nut with a tool throughout the entire session.  The weird thing is, I'm not even sure if my truck feels any tighter/looser on the 149 with the kingpin nut rotating by itself.

Is this somehow normal?  Or did I just get really unlucky with two consecutive defective pairs?

Yeah i have this problem w one of my indy mid trucks. IT sucks so bad and random that a kingpin cant / wont stay on the set tightness. I remember trying inverted kingpins way back in grind kings and they sucked and to be honest these too.  Inverted kingpin is a joke. Dont waste your money on this shit.

pops

• Rep: 220
« Reply #466 on: May 24, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »
Expand Quote
So I bought a pair of 139 mids and it seemed like the kingpin nut wasn't staying tightened, seemed like my one truck would loosen by itself (even after tightening it down enough so that it wouldn't normally loosen by itself).  Basically, I would see the kingpin nut at one position during the sesh, then look down at it, say, half an hour later, and it seemed to be in a totally different position, which bugged me out.

I chalked it up to a defective pair (?), and decided to try another pair- this time, 149 mids:

On this pair, to make sure nothing was just in my head, I marked a line in sharpie at "12 o' clock" on the kingpin nut after tightening the trucks enough to make sure the kingpin wouldn't (normally) loosen by itself .  Sure enough, by the end of the second session with the 149s, the line I marked was now at around "8 o' clock".  I did not touch the kingpin nut with a tool throughout the entire session.  The weird thing is, I'm not even sure if my truck feels any tighter/looser on the 149 with the kingpin nut rotating by itself.

Is this somehow normal?  Or did I just get really unlucky with two consecutive defective pairs?
[close]

Yeah i have this problem w one of my indy mid trucks. IT sucks so bad and random that a kingpin cant / wont stay on the set tightness. I remember trying inverted kingpins way back in grind kings and they sucked and to be honest these too.  Inverted kingpin is a joke. Dont waste your money on this shit.

Thanks for the advice. I was going to get a pair out of curiosity but not this time. I will stay with my AF1s, they been working perfectly for me.

Smoothbrain1

• Rep: -7
« Reply #467 on: May 24, 2021, 07:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the advice. I was going to get a pair out of curiosity but not this time. I will stay with my AF1s, they been working perfectly for me.

You have to try it out for yourself, illl never go back to regular kingpins. I laugh watching my friends try smith/feebles and scrape/ hang up on their kingpins.

I don’t understand why every truck company doesn’t utilize inverted kingpins. this isn’t some kind of gimmick like a bottle opener or axle rethreaders, it’s actually just a better design, plain and simple. Work smarter not harder, having to grind down your kingpin to break in trucks is ridiculous.
So many trucks these days have kingpins that will scape on the very first grind. It baffles me. Just get that kingpin out of the way!

I have hollow krux dlks in my Indy mids and I want to ride this setup for the rest of my life.
I went through 5 pairs of ace 44 classics before I got fed up with their excessively long kingpins (which always come loose btw).

The only minor downside is that I do have to retighten my back truck every few seshes. but this is not an issue, I keep an Allen key in my backpack, and just give it a quick turn before I start my sesh. It literally takes less than five seconds.

I’ll never go back to regular kingpins, anyone who isn’t on inverted kingpins is living in the past, making every grind and truck stall harder than it needs to be.

I will say the Indy dlk sucks though, and so does the new krux one. The hollow krux kingpin is bomb, I also want to try grindking and creepers tho.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #468 on: May 24, 2021, 07:37:55 PM »
I’ve hung up on my AF1 king pins a few times last time I got to skate. I’m really debating on filing down the 1-2 threads sticking out.

Smoothbrain1

• Rep: -7
« Reply #469 on: May 24, 2021, 07:45:21 PM »
I’ve hung up on my AF1 king pins a few times last time I got to skate. I’m really debating on filing down the 1-2 threads sticking out.

Ace trucks have a great turn because they have taller bushings, and in order to use taller bushings, they need a longer kingpin.

Ace = best turn in the game at the sacrifice of worst kingpin clearance in the game.

I’ve dremmeled threads off of all my pairs of aces, and even a few of my friends too.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #470 on: May 24, 2021, 08:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace trucks have a great turn because they have taller bushings, and in order to use taller bushings, they need a longer kingpin.

Ace = best turn in the game at the sacrifice of worst kingpin clearance in the game.

I’ve dremmeled threads off of all my pairs of aces, and even a few of my friends too.

I think you just talked me into it. Ha. I just need to make sure I don’t want to loosen them more than what they are now. Ha

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #471 on: May 28, 2021, 12:29:13 PM »

Krux pins net so much more clearance...(Regular hollow hangers+stock tops before I sand them down+IKP plates).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 04:45:45 PM by Xen »

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #472 on: May 28, 2021, 04:09:22 PM »
So, should I get some mid Tiagos or some S11 Hollows?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #473 on: May 28, 2021, 07:32:09 PM »

Krux pins net so much more clearance...(Regular hollow hangers+stock tops before I sand them down+IKP plates).

Is it just me or does the bottom bushing look too big for the bottom washer?

Or is it not the usual bottom washer and one of those super fancy ones with the core or something?

Just curious more than anything.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #474 on: May 28, 2021, 07:39:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Or is it not the usual bottom washer and one of those super fancy ones with the core or something?

I think that's one of those flat machined ones Xen has posted about before.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #475 on: May 28, 2021, 08:00:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah that is what I was thinking as I started typing...

Funny though cause it looks too small, but most likely is just right.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #476 on: May 28, 2021, 08:04:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Here's a shot with the Indy IKP and a top sleeved washer:

[close]

[close]

It's that machined, flat, sleeved washer, from muir skate (longboards) and it fits perfectly.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: May 28, 2021, 08:09:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's that machined, flat, sleeved washer, from muir skate (longboards) and it fits perfectly.

That's the one!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: May 28, 2021, 08:12:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's the one!

Here's a shot of the stock Indy IKP with both bottom and top sleeved washers:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 01:52:05 PM by Xen »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #479 on: May 28, 2021, 08:14:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Here's a shot with the Indy IKP and a top sleeved washer:

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you told me this before, but which Muir washer fits snuggly under the Indy bushing that way?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021