Author Topic: Independent Trucks Mid  (Read 77321 times)

manysnakes

Re: Independent Trucks Mid
« Reply #540 on: October 27, 2021, 11:07:36 AM »
Do the Mids have different geometry than a standard Hollow 144? I don’t understand how there could be more pinch without the truck have a substantially different overall design.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #541 on: October 27, 2021, 11:31:01 AM »
Do the Mids have different geometry than a standard Hollow 144? I don’t understand how there could be more pinch without the truck have a substantially different overall design.
Mids are 52mm high and hollows are 53.5mm - wheel closer to the deck = pinch

LebowskisRug

« Reply #542 on: October 27, 2021, 11:33:37 AM »
Also Forged Hollow have a longer effective WB, so the arc is longer to get wheel to deck.

Love to be negative rep'd for sharing an opinion.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #543 on: October 27, 2021, 11:39:10 AM »
Agree that the pinch on the mids is killer, and coupled with the meaty Indy hanger it makes an amazing slappy truck. I went and got 144s but should have gotten either 149s or 159s. Can't justify new trucks ATM but will likely get them again if they keep making them.

manysnakes

« Reply #544 on: October 27, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Mids are 52mm high and hollows are 53.5mm - wheel closer to the deck = pinch

Ahh, gotcha. I didn’t realize that Indy made anything so low.

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 354
« Reply #545 on: November 17, 2021, 07:12:26 AM »
Anyone who ditched the kingpin that comes with these and used one with longer threading, like a Kreper, etc. Did you have issues with the kingpin coming loose on its own and having to retighten every so often? Or does it stay secure?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #546 on: November 17, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »
Anyone who ditched the kingpin that comes with these and used one with longer threading, like a Kreper, etc. Did you have issues with the kingpin coming loose on its own and having to retighten every so often? Or does it stay secure?
My kreper pins worked just as well as the stock ones, maybe a little more secure even, however both loosened up over time.

logjammin

« Reply #547 on: November 17, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
Interesting, I wonder why this happens even with that shaft nut added for security?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #548 on: November 17, 2021, 12:47:21 PM »
Interesting, I wonder why this happens even with that shaft nut added for security?
Don't get me wrong, they don't widen the hole or jiggle around, they just unscrew themselves and loosen up ever so slowly to where at the end of the session, my bolt has rotated about 1/4. I understand smiths/feebles turning the back one maybe, but this was the front truck.

logjammin

« Reply #549 on: November 17, 2021, 01:01:21 PM »
Interesting, maybe it's why inverted kingpins never took off. Although it's a minor inconvenience, that issue doesn't happen with a normal kingpin.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #550 on: November 17, 2021, 01:34:08 PM »
Interesting, maybe it's why inverted kingpins never took off. Although it's a minor inconvenience, that issue doesn't happen with a normal kingpin.
Exactly what I was thinking, doesn't matter how much you vibrate a normal kingpin, the vibrations don't transfer all the way through the bushings and turn the nut. With IKP, the constant turning seems to be enough to do it, I only skate smooth ground and don't take impact, so there's really no excuse.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #551 on: November 17, 2021, 02:58:55 PM »
Mine haven’t loosened but a friend’s did and Indy sent him new plates and a bunch of swag in like 2 days or something.

It’s not the fault of the kingpin, it’s likely just something weird with nylock in the nut.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #552 on: February 19, 2022, 11:18:54 AM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #553 on: February 19, 2022, 01:07:15 PM »
Forged hollow mids just dropped:
https://nhsfunfactory.com/products/forged-hollow-mid-independent-skateboard-trucks

Truck Height (Millimeters) 50.5 <--Yeah, boi.
Truck Weight (Grams) 376 (only 16g lighter than the reg mids so not saving much).

Still gonna hold out for the ti mids.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #554 on: February 20, 2022, 11:20:22 AM »

So tempting

Man that’s crazy, thunder territory on an Indy

Must resist…!

Truck Weight (Grams) 376 (only 16g lighter than the reg mids so not saving much).

yes

slappyjoes

• Rep: 40
« Reply #555 on: February 22, 2022, 05:36:58 PM »
Got the 149 Reynolds hollows after looking everywhere for them. Just gotta for the rain to stop now

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284507422557?hash=item423df6bf5d:g:f7gAAOSw6fJhe0ey

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
« Reply #556 on: February 22, 2022, 08:02:14 PM »

If they made these in a 169 I think I’d cave and buy them.  Gonna hold out for the AF1 hollow lows instead

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #557 on: March 09, 2022, 05:08:50 PM »
Anyone have the forged hollow mids and could give a review? Been having lots of truck madness lately and these caught my attention.

FROTHY

« Reply #558 on: March 09, 2022, 05:57:34 PM »
My mids loosened on their own a lot, and I didn't love they way they turned. Went back to standard Indys and I'm very happy.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #559 on: March 09, 2022, 07:13:54 PM »
My mids loosened on their own a lot, and I didn't love they way they turned. Went back to standard Indys and I'm very happy.

I am similarly very disappointed with the turn on my mids. They are the only trucks I have ever had wheelbite in my life, even when tightened to a medium tightness (I normally like my trucks loose) on ~52mm wheels (I normally like to ride wheels 56mm and up). I was going to go back to ace but it's good to hear 149 standards might still be worth it too.

Also, the pop is complete trash on the mids, at least for me

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #560 on: March 09, 2022, 07:20:10 PM »
Anyone have the forged hollow mids and could give a review? Been having lots of truck madness lately and these caught my attention.

Just ordered some of the Reynolds today. Interested in giving them a poke.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #561 on: March 09, 2022, 07:47:44 PM »

I've been using those titanium kingpin bolts we have. The threads bottom out at a medium tightness, so I threw some Loctite in there, and they haven't loosened up in a couple of months. No complaints.  :)
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

LebowskisRug

« Reply #562 on: March 09, 2022, 08:05:05 PM »

I liked them quite a bit. I didn’t have any turning issues whatsoever but they did come much looser. Just tightened them during the first session. My pop was good with them, the pinch was akin to my Thunders and I didn’t mind the weight at all. Didn’t have my kingpin loosen but was fairly paranoid about it. I don’t do many Grinds that catch the kingpin so no comment there.

Right now I’m on Forged Hollows cuz they were on a complete that I resurrected and loved. Id skate Mids again but am happy with what I’m on.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: April 03, 2022, 12:46:03 PM »

@hobochimp Due to the madness I picked up the 149 forged mids; stock bottoms, 96a indy aftermarket tops (the stock bottoms are 2mm shorter than the aftermarkets) and 50mm spits.

They wheelbit like crazy with stock tightness/bushings. A bit less now with the harder top and riding them tighter than I normally would (I usually swap to hard bushings in lows). They feel surprisingly light for 149s (coming of the 149 royals).

While not broken in yet, they squeaked like a motherfucker out of the gate, when I swapped bushings I threw in some wax in the pivot cups which fixed it for now; it was REALLY bad tho, worse than any set of new trucks so far/ever.

I doubt there is anything new material-wise here, but the grind felt really good, but different than my TI indys (could be hollow vs ti); after riding the royals for a good stretch, even new I prefer the grind feel of these indys...this could also be a combination of DSM wood/Forged plates/101a vs the Royals cast/BBS wood/99a they are setup on: One feels crisp the other a bit deadish; I've always prefered the crisp feel.

Riding them on a steep kicked 8.28" / 14.18 WB Santa Cruz, will try them out on a mellow kick board next. It's fun being so low to the ground again but still able to turn.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 02:35:59 PM by Xen »

manysnakes

« Reply #564 on: April 03, 2022, 02:22:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been using those titanium kingpin bolts we have. The threads bottom out at a medium tightness, so I threw some Loctite in there, and they haven't loosened up in a couple of months. No complaints.  :)

Blue Loctite on my DIY inverted kingpins turned out to be an absolute must. Huge difference, from needing adjustment a few times a session to whatever amount of adjustment I previously considered normal.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: April 03, 2022, 02:39:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Blue Loctite on my DIY inverted kingpins turned out to be an absolute must. Huge difference, from needing adjustment a few times a session to whatever amount of adjustment I previously considered normal.

The TI car bolts, has anyone been grinding them yet? Curious as to how they run on metal/concrete seeing as those ti Theeve were always a struggle to get moving on some materials.

The lower clearance is great but seems like it would hinder if you are catching on it due to the material.

manysnakes

« Reply #566 on: April 03, 2022, 02:54:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The TI car bolts, has anyone been grinding them yet? Curious as to how they run on metal/concrete seeing as those ti Theeve were always a struggle to get moving on some materials.

The lower clearance is great but seems like it would hinder if you are catching on it due to the material.

That's a good point, something I hadn't considered.  My trucks are Krux and Kreeper, so I don't know, but it's possible that those panheads are so low that it's only a theoretical problem.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #567 on: April 03, 2022, 03:49:05 PM »
Some Teflon tape on the threads also works. Picking up my warrant plates tomorrow and then prob selling my Mid Hollows not because they were bad, but standards are working better for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #568 on: April 03, 2022, 03:55:54 PM »
I can’t recall the thread, but someone modded the krux top washer from the old downlos so it properly fit inside the top bushing so it sat flush on top of the bushing; I’m going to throw mine in these Indy’s if I can find that thread/method. If anyone could point me that way it would be appreciated.

These inverted pins are heavier than standard with all that extra meat on top and the added material in the plates.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 08:18:44 PM by Xen »

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #569 on: April 03, 2022, 04:49:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@hobochimp Due to the madness I picked up the 149 forged mids; stock bottoms, 96a indy aftermarket tops (the stock bottoms are 2mm shorter than the aftermarkets) and 50mm spits.

They wheelbit like crazy with stock tightness/bushings. A bit less now with the harder top and riding them tighter than I normally would (I usually swap to hard bushings in lows). They feel surprisingly light for 149s (coming of the 149 royals).

While not broken in yet, they squeaked like a motherfucker out of the gate, when I swapped bushings I threw in some wax in the pivot cups which fixed it for now; it was REALLY bad tho, worse than any set of new trucks so far/ever.

I doubt there is anything new material-wise here, but the grind felt really good, but different than my TI indys (could be hollow vs ti); after riding the royals for a good stretch, even new I prefer the grind feel of these indys...this could also be a combination of DSM wood/Forged plates/101a vs the Royals cast/BBS wood/99a they are setup on: One feels crisp the other a bit deadish; I've always prefered the crisp feel.

Riding them on a steep kicked 8.28" / 14.18 WB Santa Cruz, will try them out on a mellow kick board next. It's fun being so low to the ground again but still able to turn.

This does not help my madness haha. Got hit by the truck madness bad recently. Two sets of trucks deep in about a month. Already wanting others. Never ridden trucks that low before but I’m curious what it will do for me. Trying to finally nail some flat ground tricks after spending most of my time skating in only bowls and pools