Author Topic: Why the fuck is Chris Nieratko not getting called out  (Read 12499 times)

Francis Xavier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
Re: Why the fuck is Chris Nieratko not getting called out
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2019, 08:59:07 PM »

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2019, 09:07:41 PM »
Have fun calling out a dude that'll be the first to admit he's made a career being an antagonistic, horrible shit head.

SickSickSicks

• Rep: 20
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2019, 09:27:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So, he made Corey call Stevie an N.

GTFO

If you don’t know that is wrong by age 10 you deserve to be ostracized, beat up or both.
[close]

You’re 100% right on the racism from duffel, it’s fucking absolutely wrong. I’m black too, but i don’t condone beating up minors, kook. Educating them and correct guidance, surely. Duffel talks about calling up big brother in tears to not publish that interview, yet they did anyway.
Pushing boundaries? Maybe, but fuck off, his handling of the release of duffel’s interview, and his treatment of mar dal santo is gross
[close]

Skateboarders historically don’t really take well to education via an arm around the shoulder and sage advice. Duffle probably learned more than one important lesson from that shit coming out, and faster than he would have at that age from just being told “don’t use the N word, dude.” Sure it’s a bit draconian, but one could argue that it worked like a charm.

Regarding Marissa, what part of it are you grossed out about? The fact that he asked? Are you grossed out by periods in general?

[close]
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qbz8jw/epicly-made-over-985-v16n8

Couldn’t find the skateboard mag article, but this is clearly not cool. Claiming all girl skaters suck (I know it’s nyjah, but he got blasted for something similar a while back). And reducing her involvement in the industry to what she wore and if she’d been laid or not. Fuck that

I don’t intend this to be inflammatory or insulting, but I’m not sure that you understand irony. Chris’ style of writing and interviewing simply might not be your bag, but that doesn’t make it misogynistic or gross or what have you. I’ve always found it very smart, very funny, and very interesting.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 09:37:54 PM »
chris nieratko FUCKING SUCKS at skate journalism i hate everything I've ever read of his
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Brguy

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2019, 10:51:52 PM »
Asking about periods might be uncomfortable and weird but I don't think it's much lower than the usual dumb stuff people talk about in skateboarding.

euro tm

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2019, 11:18:06 PM »
Asking about periods might be uncomfortable and weird but I don't think it's much lower than the usual dumb stuff people talk about in skateboarding.

that shits still not tight to ask

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2019, 11:25:40 PM »
Have fun calling out a dude that'll be the first to admit he's made a career being an antagonistic, horrible shit head.

Yeah, he basically started his career to be print version of a shock jock and admits as much in the Big Brother doc and the Ronnie James Dio scene. 

It’s seems like the Big Brother interview style was to have all their guys hang out with a skater, get them fucked up and then goad them into saying some horrid shit.  The Andy Roy interview sounds like it happened just this way. 

That being said, asking questions and being an asshole doesn’t really nominate someone for cancel culture to take note of.  The skate industry hasn’t exactly been the homing beacons for empathetic individuals.  I doubt he makes a ton of money off his espn or cans video and at least you can enjoy the dissonance of a hairstyle that is rigorously maintained and pooching out belly poking through his one size too small shirts that he just got out of the plastic wrapper

butterballs for jerry

• Rep: -56
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2019, 04:25:43 AM »
One could say Duffel may not have been as great a skater if he was not trying to reverse everyone's opinion of him after dropping an n bomb

Nieratko lit a fire under his ass
I was standing staring at the world, and I still can't see it

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2019, 06:25:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So, he made Corey call Stevie an N.

GTFO

If you don’t know that is wrong by age 10 you deserve to be ostracized, beat up or both.
[close]

You’re 100% right on the racism from duffel, it’s fucking absolutely wrong. I’m black too, but i don’t condone beating up minors, kook. Educating them and correct guidance, surely. Duffel talks about calling up big brother in tears to not publish that interview, yet they did anyway.
Pushing boundaries? Maybe, but fuck off, his handling of the release of duffel’s interview, and his treatment of mar dal santo is gross
[close]

Skateboarders historically don’t really take well to education via an arm around the shoulder and sage advice. Duffle probably learned more than one important lesson from that shit coming out, and faster than he would have at that age from just being told “don’t use the N word, dude.” Sure it’s a bit draconian, but one could argue that it worked like a charm.

Regarding Marissa, what part of it are you grossed out about? The fact that he asked? Are you grossed out by periods in general?

[close]
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qbz8jw/epicly-made-over-985-v16n8

Couldn’t find the skateboard mag article, but this is clearly not cool. Claiming all girl skaters suck (I know it’s nyjah, but he got blasted for something similar a while back). And reducing her involvement in the industry to what she wore and if she’d been laid or not. Fuck that
[close]

I don’t intend this to be inflammatory or insulting, but I’m not sure that you understand irony. Chris’ style of writing and interviewing simply might not be your bag, but that doesn’t make it misogynistic or gross or what have you. I’ve always found it very smart, very funny, and very interesting.

Yeah, with Chris you shouldn't take anything seriously, but irony and sarcasm doesn't translate to some readers especially through paper. Definitely has his hits and misses like all comedic writers

I couldn't find the Marisa interview in readable quality, but the period question doesn't sound like something anyone should be mortified about. And she even did that horrible Vice bit with him after that so seems like she didn't lose much sleep over it

And with Corey, Chris definitely threw more fuel into flames, but what he said is fully on him

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2019, 06:34:02 AM »
are you kids actually this pussy thats crazy. how many of you were even alive when big brother was still a thing?

free max b
FREE MAX B

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2019, 06:41:47 AM »
I’m not picking a side one way or the other in this debate, but I could have sworn Marisa Dal Santo has cited that interview with Nieratko as one of the reasons she quit professional skating... can’t find that quote, though.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2019, 06:59:54 AM »

Anybody ever hear about that guy Louis CK?

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2019, 07:30:03 AM »
Corey isn’t saying that the interviewer made him say that racist shit. He was saying that the interview was making fun of him/his lisp and calling him gay and a fag and trying to rile him up to say some crazy shit in the interview.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

fs overkrook

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2019, 07:36:41 AM »
Who cares, he did it for our entertainment and if that offends you you’re a fucking pussy

PABLOS SWANPOWERS LOBSTER

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2019, 07:42:43 AM »
Who cares, he did it for our entertainment and if that offends you you’re a fucking pussy

That's how I always felt about Michael Vick.

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »
periods don't really bother me.  although i will sometimes put arrival times in my phone calender so i know what's up

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3330
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2019, 07:51:16 AM »
Nieratko is amazing. He loves to provoke people. Looks like you took the bait.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1958
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »
This isn’t meant to pardon Corey’s remarks, but I always felt it was bizarre how that interview continues to be a big topic of controversy while the rest of Big Brother is constantly held to such high regard even among articles encouraging drugging and raping strippers and OTHER racist interviews.

No, I don’t think any of them should be “cancelled” over that, but I think it’s important to have consistent standards and to maintain accountability. I think comedy that’s edgy for the sake of being edgy fucking sucks, but I also think it’s clear that all involved parties have grown a lot in 20 years.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:17:36 AM by the_unknown_soldier »

adamconway123

• Rep: -4
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »
What sort of kook doesn’t know how to spell their subject’s name?  “Marisa Del Santos”???

That article is terrible.

An older “person of power and influence” pushing a young, impressionable woman into doing something she’s not comfortable with......sounds like a really cool guy!

Rick_Kane

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2019, 08:35:29 AM »
Nieratko is awesome. Big Brother was great because they understood that talking about skateboarding is boring as fuck, and humor and controversy are much more entertaining. Big Brother was the only skate mag I ever actually read. The articles and interviews were the best part, whereas Thrasher and TransWorld were only good for looking at the photos. Of course BB is too much for today's hyper-sensitive generation to handle, so this thread isn't surprising.

ramplocal

• Rep: 62
  • poser
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
The guy worked and gained his name working for Big Brother. We really going to go through and apply current PC views to a lot of stuff that happened 20 to 30 years ago. I mean, a bunch of the iconic World Graphics by Mark McKee would be deemed offensive as hell (and some were at the time).
Ansolutely this, i fucks w nieratko, dude rules

Milo Yambags

« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2019, 10:49:06 AM »
Good Job Chris. I love that something you wrote in a magazine published by Larry Flynt ages ago still gets the same result that you originally intended. People are soft.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2019, 11:03:08 AM »
An interviewer will always want his interview to be interesting and if you're working at Big Brother you'll definitely want to be stupid, funny and shocking ... so yeah a few bad questions will be in there for sure, but yeah overall journalists are assholes when they push it so far to make their interviews special
Like this idiot

Samson Simpson

• Rep: -8
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2019, 11:46:59 AM »
Chris rips. He wrote an article when he still worked for Strength Magazine about a tour involving Weiss, Clyde, and a visit with 8-Ball and MG that was fucking amazing...

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
never heard of him sounds like a kook
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2019, 12:13:47 PM »
Nieratko is awesome. Big Brother was great because they understood that talking about skateboarding is boring as fuck, and humor and controversy are much more entertaining. Big Brother was the only skate mag I ever actually read. The articles and interviews were the best part, whereas Thrasher and TransWorld were only good for looking at the photos. Of course BB is too much for today's hyper-sensitive generation to handle, so this thread isn't surprising.
Personally, I loved Slap.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2019, 12:34:42 PM »
cancel culture big yikes

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2019, 01:36:29 PM »
Not trying to defend Nieratko or Big Brothers actions in the past but it was a different time back then; humor has changed a lot over the decades and what was once acceptable to laugh at by the majority isn't anymore, but back then it was. Not to mention it was a lot cooler to be a dick back then too, I remember back then there was almost like a cool guy appeal to being a dick, like people found it charming or something. It wasn't til recently with the uprise of social media that being a dick became REALLY frowned upon because it makes it so much easier for fans to call someone out for being a dick; if a pro was a dick to a bunch of kids at a signing its easy for them to go on his Instagram and call him out and having the news spread like wildfire which in turn drags his name through the mud a lot easier and causes sponsors to take notice as well, thus tainting his reputation. Since its so easy to call people out now the majority of pros are always so nice and on their best behaviors now, because they don't wanna deal with being called out and having it effect their image and board sales. Social media has killed the appeal of being a dick. I guarantee you if it weren't for social media there probably would still be a cool guy appeal to it. It's just so easy to call people out now for being shitty people, which makes people reconsider the way they act and the way they are and the way they treat people, which is one thing i think social media and the internet has done in making the 2010s a better place in this world overall. Talk all the shit you want about social media being poison but there's at least one upside to it. Yes Nieratko was a dick back than, but a lot of industry folk were back then too, hell. a lot of people in general, because it was "cool".

That said, even though a lot of Nieratkos stuff is cringe inducing to read these days he also did some of my favorite interviews ever. His interview with Method Man and his interview with Atmosphere are two of my favorites, if you haven't read them I suggest you do, you can find em on his website.

pistachio

• Rep: -6
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2019, 02:14:21 PM »
Big Brother was known for shocking content, I don’t think that it’s a huge stretch of the truth to assume that Corey went on there with the intent to shock, and I guess, at least at that time, he thought the best way to do that was with a smattering of homosexual and racial content.

I’m thankful for Nieratko’s contributions as well as everyone else involved with Big Brother and the like. It is entertaining, times back then were surely different, and if you’re gonna “call out” Nieratko, call out all of Big Brother and everyone involved; it was mostly offensive by today’s standards and even those back then in some cases. Or just don’t be a poosy and enjoy that chunk of skateboarding’s timeline.

Rakk

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
Jason Jesse still gets a check from NHS