Author Topic: Hipster tendencies  (Read 22422 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Hipster tendencies
« Reply #240 on: October 31, 2019, 06:23:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Doing kids right is expensive
[close]

paging chris hansen

oh damn, haha

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

paging chris hansen
[close]

oh damn, haha

paging epstein
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #242 on: October 31, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

paging chris hansen
[close]

oh damn, haha
[close]

paging epstein
OOF

Just was speaking with my wife about how being rich isn't as great as it seems.

That money really isn't yours and they can take it away just as fast  also can get to you anytime they want especially is you are rich.

Look at Epstein he was just a loose end in the multiple headed pedo beast cut one head off there's another to take it's place. They saw nothing of worthwhile as maybe just maybe he was going to snitch? or his contacts knew they'd be found out so his life wasn't worth saving.

As they say you want to be rich but make friends with the devil there comes a cost with selling out and how many people who have been stepped on to get where they're at?

I'd rather be broke and getting by and owe nothing to no one but myself and my family.
Dueces Bitch's

cuckflip

« Reply #243 on: October 31, 2019, 08:56:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

paging chris hansen
[close]

oh damn, haha
[close]

paging epstein
[close]
OOF

Just was speaking with my wife about how being rich isn't as great as it seems.

That money really isn't yours and they can take it away just as fast  also can get to you anytime they want especially is you are rich.

Look at Epstein he was just a loose end in the multiple headed pedo beast cut one head off there's another to take it's place. They saw nothing of worthwhile as maybe just maybe he was going to snitch? or his contacts knew they'd be found out so his life wasn't worth saving.

As they say you want to be rich but make friends with the devil there comes a cost with selling out and how many people who have been stepped on to get where they're at?

I'd rather be broke and getting by and owe nothing to no one but myself and my family.
Don’t even get me started on JE!

But yes inevitably the elites are corrupt and self dealing. And anyone in the club has either no humanity to begin with, or lost it along the way.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #244 on: October 31, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »
everyone should be content with where they are

but, i've never heard anyone who's doing well talk about how making/having money comes with all these problems. most people i know who are doing pretty well seem pretty happy. some take on some job stress, a lot of the time from the fact that so many people are depending on them for their lively hoods (employees and all that). but for the most part i haven't seen the negative effects of money on happiness that you see in threads on here and in memes on facebook except when it comes to people who get lost in drugs. and a lot of the time making good money comes as payoff for years of sacrifice and rising to the top of your chosen path. seems overly negative to me to look at successful people in such a negative light. if you have kids, wouldn't you want them to strive to be successful at something and to reap the rewards of the work they put in? i'd hate to instill in my kids an attitude that become successful and making money isn't desirable.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #245 on: October 31, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »

but, i've never heard anyone who's doing well talk about how making/having money comes with all these problems. most people i know who are doing pretty well seem pretty happy. some take on some job stress, a lot of the time from the fact that so many people are depending on them for their lively hoods (employees and all that). but for the most part i haven't seen the negative effects of money on happiness that you see in threads on here and in memes on facebook except when it comes to people who get lost in drugs. and a lot of the time making good money comes as payoff for years of sacrifice and rising to the top of your chosen path. seems overly negative to me to look at successful people in such a negative light. if you have kids, wouldn't you want them to strive to be successful at something and to reap the rewards of the work they put in? i'd hate to instill in my kids an attitude that become successful and making money isn't desirable.

If I go back to what I said about being able to afford things when I made no money vs. being broke now when I have a salary and give some context and cut out the sarcasm, it would make a lot more sense. Younger hipster me lived with my parents and had no responsibilities other than go to school and work whatever job I had. All my money was disposable, so I spent it on whatever I wanted. I had less people competing for my time, so I could do what I liked most of the time. It was great fun and sometimes I miss those much simpler times.

Zoom 10 or so years to today and my life is very different. I live within my means and my monthly bills are much more than what my monthly income was 10 years ago. I work full time, take grad classes, have a wife and two kids, own a home, all things I'm proud of and I worked to get, but they're also things that demand a lot of time, energy and money. These days my money is spent on thing things I need and not always on the things I want because I'm the one that has to provide all the things. Not saying that I don't want a house and a car and food on my table, but that stuff comes first and doesn't always leave much for extras like cool clothes, vinyl records, expensive coffee, or other shit that I used to buy when I was younger. Same thing with my time. Sometimes I don't even get 15 minutes a day to do something I want to do for myself because I'm giving my time to other things I need to do. I don't ever want to complain or project the idea that I'm not happy with where I'm at and what I have. I know I'm very privileged, and I wouldn't be where I am without the choices I've made, but I do miss the past sometimes because of how simple and easy life was. I owe all of that to my parents and I'm grateful for their hard work and providing me with a life that was so easy and I definitely hope I can do that for my own kids. But I can't say that I don't miss the days of having no stress. The days of being bored. I haven't been bored in years.

Also, I'm sure you meant well by your first statement, but I disagree. Progress doesn't happen in a state of contentment. Not saying that you're 100% wrong, but I have a different perspective. Shalom.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #246 on: October 31, 2019, 10:30:59 AM »

I'm content where I am financially. All of the bills are on auto pay from a separate account that is specifically for bills. All the kids wants and needs are handled within reason and without spoiling. Money for gas and food and all those other necessities is always there. The feelings I have are more selfishness to do what I want to do for myself. There is always money in the recreation budget for skate gear, beer, weed, night on the town, some new clothes for myself, sneakers. Just not for multiple recreational items, if I buy some skate gear I know that there isn't going to be much left for anything else. Which is the part that bums me out, which I guess is that same part that makes you want to do even better, but that void ill always be there in some way. There will always be something out there that's just out of reach. A newer better car, bigger house whatever it may be.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: October 31, 2019, 11:49:39 AM »
What I was going on about was just those with excess wealth, not someone who is doing well and just being modest with their earnings.

For me I am glad where I am at now from broke as fuck to living within my means, I am good. I had some success longtime ago but that’s how I’ve been able to hold my head afloat.

Having worked with old and special needs people it’s humbled my situation with how I view the world.

Yea it has also skewed my perspective with those with extreme wealth as I’ve seen how they treat their elders albeit a allowance and a car maybe a card or two.

I think the person deserves more then money thrown at them.

Dueces Bitch's

cuckflip

« Reply #248 on: October 31, 2019, 12:19:40 PM »
Yea not sure who sleazy was replying to but I understood Darth’s post to refer to wealth/power that isn’t even fathomable to anyone on here.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #249 on: October 31, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »
i probably misunderstood. i guess your point was about that rich versus wealth thing. most of the people i know would be closer to rich, people who worked their way up from humble beginnings and are doing well. generational wealth breads results in a lot of spoiled a holes with money like our current president.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #250 on: November 01, 2019, 01:13:06 AM »
i probably misunderstood. i guess your point was about that rich versus wealth thing. most of the people i know would be closer to rich, people who worked their way up from humble beginnings and are doing well. generational wealth breads results in a lot of spoiled a holes with money like our current president.
English is but isn’t my first language, I get too far ahead of my writing and expect others to read my incoherent opinions and babblings, as if I was next to them.

Yes the generational wealth is something I’ve found quite frustrating, especially when you have to work for everything.

Say for example I do a round of golf with a rich person but I am coasting by on a client’s guest to a golf club, ummmm I don’t want to sell my friend out like hey he’s sick and he doesn’t mind I’m here but the golf club definitely does care.

Or when you’re invited by someone says oh call someone to sort you out.... like do you not know how the world work’s?

I’ve got a few older friends that have me on as their plus one but I keep my presence a minimum as to when I decide to hit the links I keep it cool and do my business and I am out.
Dueces Bitch's

Dunkaroos

• Rep: -7
« Reply #251 on: November 01, 2019, 07:44:04 AM »
i really appreciate how this thread has gotten into a serious life discussion kind of thing.

I agree mo money = more problems because a lot of times it comes with some level of aesthetic consistency. What I mean by this is that- when I was a pup, I was pretty content to roll around in a shredded pair of kicks and a deck with razor tail and some tiny wheels. A night on the town was ~$30 and that was okay.

As i got older, I got a job and started making "real" money and suddenly life is different. Have an apartment and expenses (life happens no big deal) but what's strange is the things that brought me joy and I always wanted in life wound up feeling disproportionate. In example, I always wanted an Eames chair, it was one of those bucket list life goals. When I move out / emancipate myself i'm going to buy an eames chair. So what did i do? I saved up the obscene amount of cash and when i moved out i threw down and bought the chair. Cool. Fulfilling. Pride. Much joy.

fast forward 5 years? Yeah the chair is cool but what's not cool is that since it's SO nice and SO expensive it makes everything in my apartment that's near it that isn't AS cool and AS expensive look like shit. So what happens? You buy NICER and MORE expensive shit to maintain the continuity.

I've found this applies to everything, got a rolex, congrats now you need nicer suits! nicer suits? watcha doing with that shitbox car? buy a benz. nice benz why do you live in the shitty part of town? move, newer place bigger need more furniture. etc etc etc on and on and on.

now your girlfriends shit isnt as nice as yours, looks / feels bad, bring her up to your level. etc etc etc.

I used to get a pressure crack in my deck and be like "oh whatever" now i go buy a new deck instantly because i work SO hard all day I DESERVE this nicest shit. Flatspots? no chance! etc.

not that i dont live within my means, i have savings and put money away for retirement and live comfortably, but it's an insatiable monster that I knew existed the first time i watched fight club when i was like 14 but didn't fully live with until i'm now 28.

maybe it's just my obscene OCD that fuels this, but maybe someone else will relate / chime in.

sorry for wall of text.

shalom.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #252 on: November 01, 2019, 07:59:51 AM »
I get a lot of the sentiments from this thread but I think there's a lot of context behind the scenes to feeling like back in the day x was better. 

A lot of what I've read related to being more broke was also at a younger time, college, end of high school, out of high school starting to work, etc.  I think those times are just different regardless of money, I think if you stretch that out and you're still working at the coffee shop at 45 with a girlfriend and a small apartment you wouldn't think so highly of it.  Far be it for me to assume I would know how anyone would feel but that's my perspective.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Dunkaroos

• Rep: -7
« Reply #253 on: November 01, 2019, 08:11:24 AM »
I get a lot of the sentiments from this thread but I think there's a lot of context behind the scenes to feeling like back in the day x was better. 

A lot of what I've read related to being more broke was also at a younger time, college, end of high school, out of high school starting to work, etc.  I think those times are just different regardless of money, I think if you stretch that out and you're still working at the coffee shop at 45 with a girlfriend and a small apartment you wouldn't think so highly of it.  Far be it for me to assume I would know how anyone would feel but that's my perspective.

Agree. It's just those things in life that you "know" but you dont ACTUALLY know until it is your life. Kinda like the phrase "day in day out" you know it when you're like 10 but you havent LIVED it yet

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: November 01, 2019, 08:31:21 AM »
I think if you stretch that out and you're still working at the coffee shop at 45 with a girlfriend and a small apartment you wouldn't think so highly of it.

I agree. Me 5 years ago would've been jealous of someone that has what I have now. Me 10 years ago would've been stuck working at the pizza shop on halloween, the busiest night of the year, getting yelled at by my bosses only to make like $60. I spent last night trick or treating with my son and I can't even begin to describe how happy I am every year knowing that I never have to work another halloween in the pizza shop.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #255 on: November 01, 2019, 08:49:07 AM »
I think I first heard the term hipster when I was like 15 or 16. I'm 30 now. I've heard it used for so many different types of people and can basically say this: "hipster" can only be used to describe someone else. No one identifies as a hipster and if they do they wouldn't even be a hipster. They would just be a painfully awkward poser. Some people may see me and think of that word. I definitely thought it of some folks especially when I went to art school. Now in 2019 I'd say a large portion of younger people could be labeled hipsters but why bother?

Just be yourself and do what you like. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 08:53:44 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #256 on: November 01, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »
i really appreciate how this thread has gotten into a serious life discussion kind of thing.

I agree mo money = more problems because a lot of times it comes with some level of aesthetic consistency. What I mean by this is that- when I was a pup, I was pretty content to roll around in a shredded pair of kicks and a deck with razor tail and some tiny wheels. A night on the town was ~$30 and that was okay.

As i got older, I got a job and started making "real" money and suddenly life is different. Have an apartment and expenses (life happens no big deal) but what's strange is the things that brought me joy and I always wanted in life wound up feeling disproportionate. In example, I always wanted an Eames chair, it was one of those bucket list life goals. When I move out / emancipate myself i'm going to buy an eames chair. So what did i do? I saved up the obscene amount of cash and when i moved out i threw down and bought the chair. Cool. Fulfilling. Pride. Much joy.

fast forward 5 years? Yeah the chair is cool but what's not cool is that since it's SO nice and SO expensive it makes everything in my apartment that's near it that isn't AS cool and AS expensive look like shit. So what happens? You buy NICER and MORE expensive shit to maintain the continuity.

I've found this applies to everything, got a rolex, congrats now you need nicer suits! nicer suits? watcha doing with that shitbox car? buy a benz. nice benz why do you live in the shitty part of town? move, newer place bigger need more furniture. etc etc etc on and on and on.

now your girlfriends shit isnt as nice as yours, looks / feels bad, bring her up to your level. etc etc etc.

I used to get a pressure crack in my deck and be like "oh whatever" now i go buy a new deck instantly because i work SO hard all day I DESERVE this nicest shit. Flatspots? no chance! etc.

not that i dont live within my means, i have savings and put money away for retirement and live comfortably, but it's an insatiable monster that I knew existed the first time i watched fight club when i was like 14 but didn't fully live with until i'm now 28.

maybe it's just my obscene OCD that fuels this, but maybe someone else will relate / chime in.

sorry for wall of text.

shalom.

that's a fucking dope chair!

you should get your wife set before you get your rolex, luxury ride, etc...

i feel you on the momentum and pressure angle. life can definitely get like that. for me as i get older i just generally like nicer things more and value free time way less. i prefer staying busy hustling so that i can have nicer things and have money to enjoy my time off.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #257 on: November 01, 2019, 10:02:01 AM »
See to me and only me I view the things I have worked hard for can come and go, as long as I’m in it for the moment of happiness immediate and long run.

Having been in fucked situations that could’ve cost me and others around my life I’d rather fight for my life then my stuff. As that’s what it really is anyways?!

Sure the live fast and look good is a great way to have an outlook and totally understand doing it.

To me I could have everything taken away except my family and one board and I’m good.

I will say my ex wife and her family fucked me 9 ways from Sunday all my tools were stolen am I bitter kinda but that situation has been laid to rest 8 years ago and I’ve been happier ever since.

I’m about to be 42 and I’m buying a dream bike and I am hyped for this, life couldn’t get any better than this. Sober for almost 10 years now I’m living the life these days.
Dueces Bitch's

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #258 on: November 01, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »

ghettygreensili

• Rep: -9
« Reply #259 on: November 04, 2019, 12:40:26 AM »
I went on a date with a French exchange student a few weeks ago. It was a cute coffee thing, nothing too special. But, This girl turned me onto rolling my own cigarettes. So, now I'm smoking a pouch and talking about how my tobaccos imported from Europe. My coworkers probably think I'm an asshole.
Frontside grind blind on the government

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2019, 05:31:14 AM »
I went on a date with a French exchange student a few weeks ago. It was a cute coffee thing, nothing too special. But, This girl turned me onto rolling my own cigarettes. So, now I'm smoking a pouch and talking about how my tobaccos imported from Europe. My coworkers probably think I'm an asshole.
Yeah that tends to happen was in Seattle for a bit and I got kicked down some snuff tobacco powder and I loved that shit. It was good for in a pinch and not being able to smoke in a meeting and hard to explain in the bathroom like what're you sniffing? I show them a snuff box and they're like wtf? you can smoke....

it is a great alternative to smoking but it's not something you can find everywhere only at specialty cigar and tobacco shops and depending on the brand too.
Dueces Bitch's

notjimstolz

• Rep: -5
« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »

Well, you do smoke cigarettes

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #262 on: November 05, 2019, 11:18:29 PM »
I’ve gone from drinking only tall boys to drinking weird flavour craft beers, I don’t know what to make of it

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: November 06, 2019, 03:18:37 AM »
I’ve gone from drinking only tall boys to drinking weird flavour craft beers, I don’t know what to make of it
Give it time, you’ll have a hankering for that weird flavor you can’t find kinda like a song that you can’t get out of your head.
Dueces Bitch's

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #264 on: November 06, 2019, 07:03:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Give it time, you’ll have a hankering for that weird flavor you can’t find kinda like a song that you can’t get out of your head.

Yeah, I can't drink regular IPA's anymore. They just don't do it for me any longer. Now I need a double dry hopped, citra, mosaic with oats and lactose conditioned on over ripe peaches hazy imperial double IPA.

Fuck that hurt to type, I'm probably definitely a hipster.

youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: November 06, 2019, 08:02:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah, I can't drink regular IPA's anymore. They just don't do it for me any longer. Now I need a double dry hopped, citra, mosaic with oats and lactose conditioned on over ripe peaches hazy imperial double IPA.

double anything is not for me. i get too fucked up too fast so ive got to keep it between like 4-6% alcohol. i'll go through a craft kick, then i'll have the feeling like they all taste the same and i'm wasting my money so i switch back to regular stuff. Then I'll get bored of those and want something unique and go back to craft stuff. its a cycle. right now im sort of in the middle ground. my current favorites are shiner bock and stroh's bohemian.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: November 06, 2019, 09:13:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

double anything is not for me. i get too fucked up too fast so ive got to keep it between like 4-6% alcohol. i'll go through a craft kick, then i'll have the feeling like they all taste the same and i'm wasting my money so i switch back to regular stuff. Then I'll get bored of those and want something unique and go back to craft stuff. its a cycle. right now im sort of in the middle ground. my current favorites are shiner bock and stroh's bohemian.

Those are both pretty good and easy to find. I found a good go between for both of these worlds is Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing. Taste like it came from a small craft brewery, yet mass produced and fairly cheap.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #267 on: November 07, 2019, 04:26:57 AM »
my go to lately is cigar city jai alai which i got turned onto when i was traveling to tampa a good bit. it's a nice lighter ipa that has a good malt balance.

definitely a fan of shiner bock. my dad lives in australia and that's all he drinks when he's in the states. if you like it though negro model is pretty good to for something that's not quite as sweet.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #268 on: November 07, 2019, 05:57:42 AM »
I get asked beard questions at work, I didn't "Grow" the beard, I just didn't shave. 32 types of IPAs on the shelves, I've went back to lager. Gin/Rum/White Russians, all ruined. Can't even enjoy them post-ironically.
I am all for the general populace having a wider and more diverse outlook of the world in general, I just really dislike the people who think they are influencers and the vanguard of cultural enlightenment. People drank nice coffee since before you could shit in a pot.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 06:08:21 AM by Jollyoli »
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

MotoPancakes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2019, 11:42:25 AM »
I love baggy grandpa sweaters

I ride a big board for fashion

I like post punk

I draw on my shoes

When I play guitar I use too much reverb

I write poetry about sad shit

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:49:53 AM by MotoPancakes »