Author Topic: Hipster tendencies  (Read 22370 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
Re: Hipster tendencies
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 08:26:22 PM »
I think the first hipster band I remember was The Stokes. All the members of group met at some elite prep school in NYC. Looking at them at the time you would think think they grew up in some lower middle class neighborhood in Queens like the Ramones. I think pretending to be gutter is the essence of hipsterism and why no one will cop to being a hipster because it’s a put on.

garthblader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 08:34:11 PM »
If buying vinyl still counts I love it.  Riding track bikes.  Basically being a general asshole. 

hangontoyourego

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 08:47:08 PM »
I think the first hipster band I remember was The Stokes. All the members of group met at some elite prep school in NYC. Looking at them at the time you would think think they grew up in some lower middle class neighborhood in Queens like the Ramones. I think pretending to be gutter is the essence of hipsterism and why no one will cop to being a hipster because it’s a put on.
You nailed it with this , I was thinking of the Strokes earlier when this topic started & used to despise them .

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 01:24:06 AM »
Don't have any social media.
Olympic weightlifting is fun.
Go to bed at 10 pm.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 02:16:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Isn’t all “hipster” shit mainstream now?

Isn’t “hipster” dead?
[close]

can you hear the sound of my eyes rolling from all the way over there
[close]

He's right, though. "Hipsters" today are 28 year old marketing interns that just got a place in nyc's chinatown trying to find the funniest tiktok accounts. Red wings, fixies, vinyl, deadstock sneakers, raw demin, american spirits, blablabla - has just defused into normal culture

Yeah, most hippsters are older now. They were mostly white middle class young people trying to be cool and have a good time in their twenties. Now they are middle class thirty somethings, having or wanting families and holding well paying jobs. They still try to be cool and consume cool things, but they have way more money now. Also instead of advocating for drug use and going to dangerous places, they advocate for safe and moderate weed and cbd use and demand safe spaces for all the diversities.

Or to show it by the change their bible vice magazine went through:
From documenting underaged boys fucking donkey's in third world countries, to advising to skip stand up specials because of insensitive content.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 04:10:27 AM »
I still do this to this day, I see and hangout with friends and many bands that are pretty well known but that's cause I like being a wallflower instead of being center of attention.  (also I like my friends bands)

If anything I consider being a hipster is going to a party just to make fun of the lot of them and to get the boot. Can't have a good story for the water cooler if you aren't being asked to leave or starting a hilarious argument over seamlessly nothing. 

edit was at a PC hippie house to score some weed and we got on a subject about Dollywood and Dolly Parton, I chime in half shitfaced well it sure wasn't her talent that keeps her still relevant! to which the people were like oh she's had a long career, I gave the Spock raised eyebrow of yeah okay hold my hands out as to signify her enormous fake tits. Whole house gets awkwardly quiet, like wtf?!
Dueces Bitch's

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 06:33:40 AM »
the ultimate hipster tendency is to be as contrarian as possible about what you're into and trying to out-hipster even hipsters. if hipsters are all into analog stuff like vinyl and VHS you have to start preaching about how superior digital is. if they're all drinking french press, drink folgers drip. and then when the trends change, go back to analog and french press or something totally kooky like 8-tracks and khazakhstanian coffee.

animalflesh

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 07:39:53 AM »
I tend to change out of dr martens to skate then back into them after I’m done

I have a VHS horror collection

I like German psychedelic rock

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 08:59:10 AM »
I enjoy pissing off rich people.

I'm heavily tattoo'd
I like to frequent places rich people go country clubs, restaurants, bars/breweries, that wing of the mall with the expensive shit.

I just like to see their reactions while were doing the same shit, they look at me like I don't deserve to be there and I very much enjoy it. You can tell I'm harshing them out and for that I spend extra money on shit.

Not sure if that makes me a hipster of just an asshole.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
I spend extra money on shit.

Ehm... You sure you know how trolling works?

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2019, 09:18:00 AM »
I enjoy pissing off rich people.

I'm heavily tattoo'd
I like to frequent places rich people go country clubs, restaurants, bars/breweries, that wing of the mall with the expensive shit.

I just like to see their reactions while were doing the same shit, they look at me like I don't deserve to be there and I very much enjoy it. You can tell I'm harshing them out and for that I spend extra money on shit.

Not sure if that makes me a hipster of just an asshole.
I do this with my wife here and there and we buy little nic nacs just for vibing out rich assholes, I certainly won't buy something expensive if I feel the staff is snooty and kissing the other rich fuckers asses.

It is funny as we are two opposites in dress and aesthetically speaking. my wife is a wild looking Chola from east LA Puerto Rican and I look and dress like a UK84 Skinhead with Ben Sherman jumper and boots.  We get questioned a lot but we cool guy most onlookers. Really upsets rich people especially if the wife bring in her small dog.

Pure comedic gold.
Dueces Bitch's

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2019, 09:25:42 AM »
I tend to change out of dr martens to skate then back into them after I’m done

I have a VHS horror collection

I like German psychedelic rock
This......
 I like TUK or Grinders boots, I was in San Luis Obispo and I snuck out of a cop car managed to crawl in the sewers near the center of town with what were white TUK boots with steel toes by the end of the sewer crawl handcuffed forwards my knees and knuckles and boots were all worn down quite a bit, the boots took it the worst they were brand new and by the time I crawled to my homies house to get the cuffs cut off they were down to the steel cap.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 09:37:12 AM by DarthDingusMaximus »
Dueces Bitch's

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »
I still use the wired apple headphones. Fuck those bitch pods

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2019, 10:40:53 AM »
i love tattoos, STILL collect records and am into going to breweries.
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »
After reading a bunch of stuff about micro plastics and getting a dog that I hike and always seeing plastic garbage in the hills, river, etc. I’ve become borderline obsessive about using as little of it as possible and sometimes find myself glaring at people drinking bottled water, etc.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 12:15:02 PM »
Expand Quote
I spend extra money on shit.
[close]

Ehm... You sure you know how trolling works?

Yeah, I am sure. I could probably smell pretty great wearing cologne from hollister or some mall store. But I'd rather spend more money in the Tom Ford store and upset people along the way. I certainly don't spend it just to spend it. I buy shit that I like and want.

I have also caught on to these rich fuckers in this process. Rich people are shameless about asking for free shit and discounts. I was paying for my shit at the Ralph Lauren store, paying full price mind you, and some rich dude was trying to argue the price of a $400 jacket down $20 while wearing a rolex and gucci loafers.

I couldn't help myself I said "if you can't afford it just put it back, no big deal" he fired back with a "I can afford whatever the fuck I want" Then i hit him with a "whatever you say peasant" under my breath. It got pretty heated and went on cataloging how much his outfit was. I took my bag and walked out.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2019, 12:16:27 PM »
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2019, 12:17:06 PM »
The only hipster tendency that I think I have is that I wear a lot of weirdly colored/patterned socks.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »

can you hear the sound of my eyes rolling from all the way over there

Sounds like you're a hipster ;)

He's right, though. "Hipsters" today are 28 year old marketing interns that just got a place in nyc's chinatown trying to find the funniest tiktok accounts. Red wings, fixies, vinyl, deadstock sneakers, raw demin, american spirits, blablabla - has just defused into normal culture

I mean, the details are different, but that essentially describes various components of my life and I don't think of myself as being particularly idiosyncratic.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -238
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You nailed it with this , I was thinking of the Strokes earlier when this topic started & used to despise them .
Sounds a little like figgy and Riley
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Buck Bundy

• Rep: 38
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2019, 05:10:09 PM »
Why wouldn't the hipster eat the left over pizza? Cause it was already cool!

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2019, 05:33:03 PM »
The only hipster tendency that I think I have is that I wear a lot of weirdly colored/patterned socks.
I have a homie who gets free stance socks and had a big stash of Huf weed socks.

I do some yard work and other dad like errands around town to kick it with him. Instead of paying me he hooks me up with free socks and skate products.

I don’t mind it so much as it gives me a chance to skate a private ramp and free socks. 

I like to mix and match my socks as one does want a hint of color.

Dueces Bitch's

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2019, 05:59:38 PM »
I built a coffee shop in my house and named it after one of our pet chickens. I mostly drink locally roasted, pour over coffee only through kemex paper filters. I have a lot of craft beers I keep stocked, I can bore most folks when talking about wine and have a pretty extensive anjeo tequila collection. I do a lot of JavaScript programming and have some involvement in start up community in austin.

But... I wear dad hats and fishing shirts and drive a big truck and I’m not being ironic about it. I smoke cigars, don’t smoke weed. And most importantly I’m stoked on the new tool cd.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2019, 06:12:27 PM »
Being a hipster would be basically doing/enjoying shit no one else likes, and thinking you're better and superior over the general basic bitch population.

Also they annoy me.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

hangontoyourego

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »
I built a coffee shop in my house and named it after one of our pet chickens. I mostly drink locally roasted, pour over coffee only through kemex paper filters. I have a lot of craft beers I keep stocked, I can bore most folks when talking about wine and have a pretty extensive anjeo tequila collection. I do a lot of JavaScript programming and have some involvement in start up community in austin.

But... I wear dad hats and fishing shirts and drive a big truck and I’m not being ironic about it. I smoke cigars, don’t smoke weed. And most importantly I’m stoked on the new tool cd.
I used to really enjoy cigars , H.  Upman and A . Fuente Hemingway was my jam . I used to spilt a box with friends old man . Bill Burr has been talking about cigars and makes me really want one

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
I love pumpkin spice latte's. Does that count?

Or does that just make me a basic?

hangontoyourego

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2019, 07:18:12 PM »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2019, 07:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha!!

hangontoyourego

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2019, 07:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha!!
When I saw this a when it 1st appeared it was hilarious . I love the way the show puts clips like this from the news  together 

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2019, 08:18:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I used to really enjoy cigars , H.  Upman and A . Fuente Hemingway was my jam . I used to spilt a box with friends old man . Bill Burr has been talking about cigars and makes me really want one

Fuente short story is my go too but I got turned on to aladino at a cigar bar in ybor in Tampa and wow. A little richer in a good way and packs a crazy good buzz. If you order a box online, highly recommend at same price point as fuente