Author Topic: Opinions about this enjoi complete for a returning skater.  (Read 1700 times)

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Opinions about this enjoi complete for a returning skater.
« on: August 30, 2019, 07:39:06 AM »
My son has gotten into skating and I'd like to get back into it. I'm 5'6" 160 pounds. I'm starting from scratch skills wise. It's been years since I've been on a board.

This board setup looks ok to me for a starter board. Has anyone had any experience with Enjoi? The decks seem well received. Are the trucks and wheels any good?

http://www.chutingstar.com/enjoi-tropical-airbrush-panda-8-resin-premium-complete-skateboard

Reese

Re: Opinions about this enjoi complete for a returning skater.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 08:01:04 AM »
Do you have any local skate shops?

Play it cool, go in there and buy a 8 or 8.25 shop deck, standard thunders and 52mm spitfire classics

Bold

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 08:11:53 AM »
I'm sad to say we don't have a local.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:29:27 AM »
I wouldn't buy that. Shit wheels, shit trucks, more than likely shit bearings.

Since you don't have a local skate shop, try the Zumiez website (only because they have generally decent options that aren't as expensive as other online distributors).

I built a board below that ends up being only $10 more than the one you were looking at, but should be much higher quality.

https://www.zumiez.com/dyoc/index/index/id/535340/option_id/14/
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Bold

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 08:52:42 AM »
Well, it's on sale now so I can get it for about $60.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 09:16:46 AM »
Well, it's on sale now so I can get it for about $60.

Another option would be to check Craigslist/LetGo or whatever and find someone selling a slightly used high-quality board.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

l_bwoy

• Rep: -6
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »
I understand the want for saving money initially but if you go ahead and just build even a low budget complete on any online skateshop, it’ll wind up saving you the costs of having to buy all the replacement parts for the shoddy parts that would likely come with that Enjoi complete. Try Tactics.com or Skatewarehouse.com I’m sure they have some end of summer/back to school sales going on and usually free shipping on anything over 50$

We don’t have a local skateshop where I live either outside the likes of a Zumiez store so I’ve resorted to ordering from my local skateshop from when I lived in Austin’s website and I’m sure there’s a lot of other core skateshops that have online stores too

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 11:46:27 AM »
I’d say something bigger just because it’ll be more fun to cruise around on to get the legs back. But $60 is tough to pass up.

Though I will say, if you spend twice the price and get something where you think the graphics are sick and everything makes you feel cool or nostalgic about the good old days, I think that’s worth it.

I can see how that last part might seem facetious but in all seriousness I mean that. Graphics matter, don’t let anyone say otherwise.

And as always, shalom
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1062
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
How old is your son? Does he even want you to go skating with him? I would have been mortified if my parents went skating with me. I have a 7 and a 10 year old (boy/girl) and they have no interest in skateboarding.

If your kid wants you to take him maybe you should design a team graphic and put it on a board. CCS does custom boards. I started a skate team with my kids and made buttons but it didn’t go further than that.

Don’t cheap out on a setup. Get something that both you and your son can progress with.

Bold

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 02:07:52 PM »
Actually my son who is 11 is the one that keeps bugging me to get a board so that I can go skating with him.
He thinks it's awesome that an old man like me used to skate.

Thanks for the heads-up about the custom boards from CCS.
That sounds like a fantastic idea as my son is also very interested in art and so am I.
It might be a really great great way to get something super cool and Custom.

I'm sure for now my biggest struggle is just going to be to actually start learning how to skate again.
I got on his board the other day and it was like I never ridden one before

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 05:37:27 PM »
If you don't have a local shop, I would suggest buying online at Socalskateshop.com. They have free shipping, 15% off or more if you buy a complete, and currently have a 10% sale. You can put together a premium setup for about $125 with Bones Reds and any deck/truck/wheel (closer to $100 if you get a team deck and standard Spitfires). Depending how long you've been out, they have a wider assortment of bigger sizes and "shaped" decks.

Bold

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 06:54:27 PM »
What's a "team" deck?

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »
What's a "team" deck?
I should have specified "price point". A good example is a Real/Anti Hero Renewal deck which is made partly of recycled wood and has minimal graphics. They're about $15 less than a pro model and you may not notice the difference at your skill level. Regardless, I would steer away from those cheap online completes.

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 07:41:56 PM »
When I got back into it, I went to CCS (for nostalgia's sake) and got a Samarria Brevard pro deck.  For a returnee, CCS brand trucks and bearings are good enough.  It's not like you're gonna bomb hills in SF or back smith any long ass rails right away.  Just replace the wheels, because they come with some treaded wheels that are unmitigated bullshit.  Treaded wheels pick up sand and tiny ass pebbles and literally slow your roll.  Head to CCS, find a cheap complete, and replace the wheels with Spitfire formula fours.  It'll be worth it.

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 10:31:33 AM »
When I got back into it, I went to CCS (for nostalgia's sake) and got a Samarria Brevard pro deck.  For a returnee, CCS brand trucks and bearings are good enough.  It's not like you're gonna bomb hills in SF or back smith any long ass rails right away.  Just replace the wheels, because they come with some treaded wheels that are unmitigated bullshit.  Treaded wheels pick up sand and tiny ass pebbles and literally slow your roll.  Head to CCS, find a cheap complete, and replace the wheels with Spitfire formula fours.  It'll be worth it.

This is what I did initially but with Bullet trucks. They were okay for the very basics, but I switched to Indys soon after and it felt a lot better. I eventually switched to Thunders so I could have a lighter truck, but I don't recommend Bullets. They felt weird.

Nittio

• Rep: 5
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 04:50:24 PM »
When I got back into skateboarding a year ago after after a 25 year break I did the mistake of getting a complete because it was easier. Same story, my kids wanted me to come along to the skatepark.

The complete was a pretty decent Almost deck with some Tensor trucks. Far better than some of the shitty trucks you find on some completes. Problem was that the deck and trucks were too small at 7.75 and the wheels too soft. I upgraded two weeks later with a wider 8,5 board, Thunder 151 trucks and Bones underneath. Now I’m on Ace 44, 8.75 deck and riding a couple times a week and active in the local DIY scene. My kids don’t skate anymore, though.

Maybe I wasted 100 euros on that complete, but it got me back to skateboarding and was way more fun than no board at all.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 04:53:18 PM by Nittio »