Author Topic: computer/laptop set-up for editting 720x576 vx1000 footage  (Read 698 times)

033sb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
computer/laptop set-up for editting 720x576 vx1000 footage
« on: September 18, 2019, 05:35:44 AM »
Recently bought my vx1000 set up and started filming again. I do have a nice macbook pro but i use that for other stuff and i think that i can better buy an old desktop or laptop to focus on capturing and editting 720x576 vx footy

I would like to know what is a nice 2nd hand computer or laptop thats cheaper (maybe around 200/300 bucks?) then a new computer but has the ability to run editting porgams like after effects, premiere or sony vegas and has the right firewire port build in. Maybe u can share what you working with.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: computer/laptop set-up for editting 720x576 vx1000 footage
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 07:01:23 AM »
editing SD footage doesn't really take much PC horsepower to do so you don't need to go all out, maybe a second hand mac/macbook/etc would be a good choice. I would stay away from anything that isnt in the i3/i5 region ie core 2 quad era as they're too old to be viable purchases. Second/third gen i5/i7 still holds up and is great value for the money. Since it's SD you can probably get away with 8gb RAM. Something with an SSD would be a bonus.

Here's a list of all macs that come with Firewire.

https://everymac.com/systems/by_capability/macs-with-usb-firewire.html

With that in mind, most of the Mac's around that price point will have intel onboard graphics which aren't terrible, but aren't great. Since it's SD it won't hopefully make too much of an impact but idk how well After Effects/Premiere would cope with a shitty gpu like that - Sony Vegas should be fine.

Normally I'd not particularly recommend a Mac but since they have Firewire built in it's easier. When I had to use Firewire I had no issue with a random Firewire card off eBay, whereas my friend had to go through 3 before he found one that worked and even then it's a bit flaky. I will say that generally, if you looked for a used gaming PC around $300 you'd get better performance than an equivalent price point used Mac, then you'd just have to put a firewire card in there.

For example, barely looking and this is $350.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaming-PC-GTX-970-Core-i5-16-GB-RAM-SSD-HDD/163784665955?hash=item262253ab63%3Ag%3A%7EmQAAOSwbXddMw8d&LH_BIN=1&LH_ItemCondition=3000

For a used PC, 2nd/3rd gen i5/i7's are generally the way to go in terms of price to performance. Local selling pages will offer better results as opposed to ebay where the "gaming pc's" are usually refurbed office units with low power but capable gpus. Even then that would be perfectly adequate for what you want but I don't know how well those rigs would take a firewire card as they're usually limited in terms of expansion. To sum it all up:

- 2nd/3rd gen i5/i7 is the sweet spot for used price to performance.
- 8gb ram will do you fine
- something with a dedicated gpu would be nice.
- ssd's are always good.

033sb

• Rep: 13
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:00:03 AM »
thank you a lot! really appreciate it

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:29:58 AM »
no problem, if you find something or need any other help just drop me a message on here dawg.