Author Topic: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)  (Read 59826 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • I cut my grip with Occam's razor
Re: Official SLAP UFC/ MMA Thread (Spoilers)
« Reply #870 on: April 21, 2024, 09:21:06 AM »
Expand Quote
That picture of Kayla Harrison prompted me to bring this up:

How does everyone feel about fighters being on the juice?

O'Malley is a super noticeable offender because of how lean he is, but his face has ballooned up over the last couple years:

Kayla is undeniably on the sauce (or was) and you can tell by how much extra skin she has around her face:

[close]

@fineslime I don't like that fighters are on the juice, and that it is so normalised. The consequences of being at a disadvantage and subsequently losing a MMA fight can have significant effects. One KO or concussion can change someone's career trajectory and health for life. The severe repercussions make it that far more unethical.

I was glad when testing got introduced because it brought some level playing field to the game. But it still has a long way to go as many see it as an IQ test of how to work around it. The penalities to fighter's caught should be much greater.

Interesting spot on Suga, never would have suspected to him.

I am completely with you about the consequences of getting hurt by someone on juice. I was genuinely angry when Josh Emmett KO'd Bryce Mitchell so badly he started sezieing, and no one called out Emmett for obviously being on steroids! Dude, Emmett's voice was deeper than it had ever been and his gyno is insane! I'm also on an MMA forum and I didn't see anyone talking about Josh being on steroids.

Emmett is almost 40 and he looks like that.

Crust

• Rep: 41
« Reply #871 on: April 21, 2024, 01:47:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

O'Malley is a super noticeable offender because of how lean he is, but his face has ballooned up over the last couple years:

Kayla is undeniably on the sauce (or was) and you can tell by how much extra skin she has around her face:

[close]

@fineslime I don't like that fighters are on the juice, and that it is so normalised. The consequences of being at a disadvantage and subsequently losing a MMA fight can have significant effects. One KO or concussion can change someone's career trajectory and health for life. The severe repercussions make it that far more unethical.

I was glad when testing got introduced because it brought some level playing field to the game. But it still has a long way to go as many see it as an IQ test of how to work around it. The penalities to fighter's caught should be much greater.

[close]

I am completely with you about the consequences of getting hurt by someone on juice. I was genuinely angry when Josh Emmett KO'd Bryce Mitchell so badly he started sezieing, and no one called out Emmett for obviously being on steroids! Dude, Emmett's voice was deeper than it had ever been and his gyno is insane! I'm also on an MMA forum and I didn't see anyone talking about Josh being on steroids.

Emmett is almost 40 and he looks like that.

A fellow Sherdogger/Slap? Sick haha!

Did Emmett pop? If not, it's the same old story as Hunt and Lesnar at UFC 200. UFC itself don't care about it being clean, they just want shows. Unfortunately, the fighters and their managers methods of gaming the system are more advanced than the drug testing itself.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 378
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #872 on: April 21, 2024, 03:40:11 PM »
I didn't even think about the steroid thing, but I felt kinda sick watching Bryce get KO'd like that.  Of course it's a fight he took on short notice and probably needed the money for.  A TBI like that can wreck your life. Emmet was 3 months away from turning 39 in that fight, PEDs are the only way a dude that old is gonna be competitive.

aleksander

• Rep: 124
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #873 on: April 21, 2024, 05:42:30 PM »
i know it’s boxing but, ryan garcia just trolled the world and then beat the fuck out of haney as a +500 underdog. this has to be mentioned. i picked him to win going in but, can’t legally bet here unfortunately. the ref was definitely trying to fuck ryan over and he still pulled it off. haney grabbing the entire fight, dropped 4 times. shame ryan can’t get the title for missing weight. dude has been completely unhinged and frankly embarrassing lately to the point that this fight was at risk of being cancelled due to ryan having a mental health evaluation and then he goes out there and makes it look easy. i really don’t pay attention to boxing at all unless it’s a big fight like this one which i think speaks a lot on how much he sold this fight, great performance.

He chugged a beer on the scale during his weigh-in and then came in overweight haha. If he's just acting crazy to troll he's doing a hell of a good job of it. Looked fantastic in the fight, even though he was apparently drunk every day leading up to it.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #874 on: April 22, 2024, 01:18:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@Crust - thats the thing! no one expected Anderson either! no one suspects these long lanky guys. TJ Dillashaw was never suspected (really at least in the mainstream) but he popped super gnarly for EPO. there are tell-tale signs, like those big fat puffy faces with extra skin. I'm telling you, once you know, you will see it on all these high level fighters.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #875 on: April 22, 2024, 01:25:28 AM »
I didn't even think about the steroid thing, but I felt kinda sick watching Bryce get KO'd like that.  Of course it's a fight he took on short notice and probably needed the money for.  A TBI like that can wreck your life. Emmet was 3 months away from turning 39 in that fight, PEDs are the only way a dude that old is gonna be competitive.

@igrindtwinkies - what made me more sick about it is that Bryce has a child coming any day now. He is a family man with his own land, trying to build a life on his own terms and with accordance with God, trying to do the best by his family, a man who is clearly not cheating.

A man like that does not deserve to fall to a man who is clearly cheating. My first thought was him having a newborn child while trying to battle TBI or post concussive syndrome. I will curse Emmett's name for the rest of his career because of it. I will never root for him and I will always root for Bryce.

Crust

• Rep: 41
« Reply #876 on: April 22, 2024, 12:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

@Crust - thats the thing! no one expected Anderson either! no one suspects these long lanky guys. TJ Dillashaw was never suspected (really at least in the mainstream) but he popped super gnarly for EPO. there are tell-tale signs, like those big fat puffy faces with extra skin. I'm telling you, once you know, you will see it on all these high level fighters.

@fineslime

That's a good point, no one expected it from Anderson. I remember being shocked that he of all people popped because he didn't have the "expected" physique.

Will be interesting to see who pops going forward. I think it will be a long time before testing methods become advanced enough to catch large amounts of fighters. At the same time, it's in infancy in the UFC, and at least they are starting to catch some.