Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46746 times)

jtrpma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
  • PMA
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 10:43:24 AM »
DECIDED TODAY TO STOP DRINKING FOR A FEW MONTHS. DONT DRINK HEAVILY OR TOO OFTEN BUT DO SOCIALLY AND DONT WANT A CRUTCH ANYMORE.

ANYONE ELSE SOBER UP AND CAN SHARE THE GOOD AND BAD FROM WHAT THEYVE EXPERIENCED?

i have been sober (again) since beginning of the year.

have never been drinking very much but always felt stupid doing it because i don't like it and felt i only drink because of peer pressure.

so i stopped again and am so much happier and saved a ton of money.

only positives!

proud of all the sober people here, keep it up!

PMA

Mad Max

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2019, 12:23:10 PM »
Been sober just over two years now. I was drinking too regularly and it was just getting me depressed so I quit.

Even if the idea of having a drink doesn’t cross my mind anymore, here are a couple points you need to know if you want to stay sober.

- It’s a day by day process. No matter how long you’ve been on the wagon, you don’t know what curve balls life will throw at you so make sure you got your priorities straight and understand that that drink isn’t going to help the situation.

- Sidelining your sobriety for that special occassion means you’re not sober and your day count goes back to zero. Before you know it you’ll be finding special occassions everywhere.

- Prepare to replace the booze with another vice. Usually it’s sugar. I hit the diet cokes pretty hard since I went sober. I managed to quit those for six months but seeing as i don’t drink coffee i’m back on it. Caffeine/sugar is probably harder to quit than booze.

- One of my best friends is still struggling to get sober. He also smokes a lot of weed (see previous point) and I can tell you that regular and intensive weed smoking if the same as being an alcoholic just with slightly different side effects. Don’t fool yourself with that I smoke don’t drink so I’m fine mentality.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »
I agree with a lot of what's being said here. I got into a rabbit hole of craft beer a few years ago, like beer you can only buy directly from the brewery, typically sells out the same day, super expensive (a bit supreme like now that I think about it). I put on a ton of weight cause I was drinking them like normal beers 3-5 pints a night (doesn't sound like much but most of them are like 8-11% ABV) plus they have a much higher calorie level than normal beers. I was waking up hungover as fuck, bloated and fat. Wasn't skating much cause I felt like shit all day, then rinse and repeat.

Woke up one day and my pants didn't fit, it was then I decided to change. I started running and going to the gym, drinking way less. Went from 30-40 of these pints a week to maybe 5-6. I lost 50 lbs, I get out skating at least twice a week for a few hours, which is about all I can spare with 3 kids and a wife at home, pretty much traded the time I was going to breweries and picking up cans of beer for skating. Now I'll drink one with dinner or after the kids are in bed while I'm watching something on TV. I don't buy nearly as much beer as I used to, I used to go to almost every weekly release at 2-3 breweries near me. Now I'll hit like one brewery a month if it's something that sounds good or something I've had before and enjoy.

So not entirely sober but definitely turned around from where I was headed. Feel much better now and happy I actually get out and skate

I think you've nailed it, without going to the extreme of all out sober you've still made positive changes which basically provides the same results without feeling limited by rules

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2019, 05:02:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I agree with a lot of what's being said here. I got into a rabbit hole of craft beer a few years ago, like beer you can only buy directly from the brewery, typically sells out the same day, super expensive (a bit supreme like now that I think about it). I put on a ton of weight cause I was drinking them like normal beers 3-5 pints a night (doesn't sound like much but most of them are like 8-11% ABV) plus they have a much higher calorie level than normal beers. I was waking up hungover as fuck, bloated and fat. Wasn't skating much cause I felt like shit all day, then rinse and repeat.

Woke up one day and my pants didn't fit, it was then I decided to change. I started running and going to the gym, drinking way less. Went from 30-40 of these pints a week to maybe 5-6. I lost 50 lbs, I get out skating at least twice a week for a few hours, which is about all I can spare with 3 kids and a wife at home, pretty much traded the time I was going to breweries and picking up cans of beer for skating. Now I'll drink one with dinner or after the kids are in bed while I'm watching something on TV. I don't buy nearly as much beer as I used to, I used to go to almost every weekly release at 2-3 breweries near me. Now I'll hit like one brewery a month if it's something that sounds good or something I've had before and enjoy.

So not entirely sober but definitely turned around from where I was headed. Feel much better now and happy I actually get out and skate
[close]

I think you've nailed it, without going to the extreme of all out sober you've still made positive changes which basically provides the same results without feeling limited by rules

Thanks, it feels pretty good so far. It’s been a little over a year now since I’ve tapered back. Keeping this going for a while.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2019, 08:43:08 PM »
My thoughts are with all of you. I hope you find peace and good fortune. I lost my brother this summer to an overdose. He left behind a 2 yr daughter, his girlfriend and the rest of his family. It’s so fucking brutal. Our lives are forever affected. I back all of your efforts to find a way out. Be good. Get some.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 09:33:54 PM »
My thoughts are with all of you. I hope you find peace and good fortune. I lost my brother this summer to an overdose. He left behind a 2 yr daughter, his girlfriend and the rest of his family. It’s so fucking brutal. Our lives are forever affected. I back all of your efforts to find a way out. Be good. Get some.

I see it too often in my work. Sorry to hear that. Heartbreaking every single time.

Sincerely sorry for your family's loss. That poor child. Ughh
Gentleman ninja warlock

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 13
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 09:39:44 PM »
I support anyone who wants to be sober, sobriety is rad I think. I’m not sober but more power to you cats.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2019, 01:52:40 AM »
Expand Quote
I spent 4 + years in canada where i was drinking quite alot every weekend, ever since i got back to Australia ive chilled on it a bit, its nice to recharge a bit, wake up fresh without hangovers on weekend
[close]

That's crazy! 4 years in Canada and you only drank on weekends, good for you!

Its completely normal in Canada to drink every day, and not small amounts either.

If you drink 24 cans of beer a day that's considered pretty normal.

Anyhow, I quit drinking about 2-3 years ago. I'm happy I did for many reasons. As you get older it's just not worth it.

I've had a beer now and again but I cant even finish one without thinking it's not that good anymore and I just dont finish it.

Hahah id drink the occasional weekday as a good little tourist does but yeah pretty common in Australia for people to drink every day....My buddys uncle in vancouver use to crush cases of kokanee on a daily basis

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2019, 02:16:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I spent 4 + years in canada where i was drinking quite alot every weekend, ever since i got back to Australia ive chilled on it a bit, its nice to recharge a bit, wake up fresh without hangovers on weekend
[close]

That's crazy! 4 years in Canada and you only drank on weekends, good for you!

Its completely normal in Canada to drink every day, and not small amounts either.

If you drink 24 cans of beer a day that's considered pretty normal.

Anyhow, I quit drinking about 2-3 years ago. I'm happy I did for many reasons. As you get older it's just not worth it.

I've had a beer now and again but I cant even finish one without thinking it's not that good anymore and I just dont finish it.
[close]

Hahah id drink the occasional weekday as a good little tourist does but yeah pretty common in Australia for people to drink every day....My buddys uncle in vancouver use to crush cases of kokanee on a daily basis

Same here in Germany. Pretty common to see someone with a beer at all hours of the day - even on the morning commute at 9am.

I'm curious though, for anyone who was only ever drinking a 1-2 beers each day then quit or cut back did you notice a big difference in how you felt health/energy/focus wise? I have a friend who's taken month long breaks but he's someone who, when he drinks, doesn't stop. He says he feels a bigger difference when he takes a month long hiatus from caffeine.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2019, 05:05:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks, it feels pretty good so far. It’s been a little over a year now since I’ve tapered back. Keeping this going for a while.

arrbee This is the same kind of approach I’m looking at taking. I’ve got 3 kids too. I didn’t drink the last two days and I’ve been having more energy and then not finishing the day drinking I instead skating or hitting the pool. Planning to have a few drinks Friday and Saturday and then get back on it.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2019, 06:22:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

arrbee This is the same kind of approach I’m looking at taking. I’ve got 3 kids too. I didn’t drink the last two days and I’ve been having more energy and then not finishing the day drinking I instead skating or hitting the pool. Planning to have a few drinks Friday and Saturday and then get back on it.

That's great! In the last 7 days I think I have consumed 5 beers. 2 Were at dinner last Friday, 1 Saturday, 2 Sunday afternoon. Then Monday I poured one with dinner and only took a few drinks of it then forgot about while cleaning up dinner getting the kids up in their rooms and settled.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2019, 06:32:53 AM »
You must fucking skate everyday to drink fucking beers everyday

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2019, 07:32:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's great! In the last 7 days I think I have consumed 5 beers. 2 Were at dinner last Friday, 1 Saturday, 2 Sunday afternoon. Then Monday I poured one with dinner and only took a few drinks of it then forgot about while cleaning up dinner getting the kids up in their rooms and settled.

that's cool man. different people work differently with this stuff. like when it comes to dieting, some people have to go all in and do these crazy extreme diets and exercise routines. but i'm looking at that and thinking is that sustainable and more desirable then something more balanced. just get some exercise each day and if you go to a happy hour then take it easy the next day and workout harder.

my wife has starting listening to these really anti-drinking e-books/podcast that say things like

"when these people choose to ingest poison..."

for her she needs that absolute wrong to make it work. her will power is really gnarly though, way gnarlier than what i'm capable of. her dieting over the years has been really impressive.

for me it's easier to set some reasonable goals and try and balance it out.

slightly related, spent an hour on my quarter yesterday morning between calls which was great. i'm not sure how much the drinking is helping here versus the heat easing up a bit, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-uqDKf8ZO0&feature=youtu.be

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2019, 07:51:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

that's cool man. different people work differently with this stuff. like when it comes to dieting, some people have to go all in and do these crazy extreme diets and exercise routines. but i'm looking at that and thinking is that sustainable and more desirable then something more balanced. just get some exercise each day and if you go to a happy hour then take it easy the next day and workout harder.

my wife has starting listening to these really anti-drinking e-books/podcast that say things like

"when these people choose to ingest poison..."

for her she needs that absolute wrong to make it work. her will power is really gnarly though, way gnarlier than what i'm capable of. her dieting over the years has been really impressive.

for me it's easier to set some reasonable goals and try and balance it out.

slightly related, spent an hour on my quarter yesterday morning between calls which was great. i'm not sure how much the drinking is helping here versus the heat easing up a bit, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-uqDKf8ZO0&feature=youtu.be

That quarter is amazing!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2019, 08:14:27 AM »
thanks man, super stoked on the quarter. just getting the coping to grind. it's hard to skate because it's kind of steep and has the concrete coping but really rewarding to get tricks on.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2019, 01:49:25 PM »

- Sidelining your sobriety for that special occassion means you’re not sober and your day count goes back to zero. Before you know it you’ll be finding special occassions everywhere.

After nearly 2 decades of substance abuse problems, finally under control. Also accepted impossible for me to be 100% sober. Feels good because would always beat myself up after drinking at special occasions then turn more depressed. Happy I don't hold that mindset anymore. Such a brutal internal struggle. Mainly just drink on special occasions, 1-2 times a month plus tap out after 4 beers. System works for me. During height of chaos, drinking everyday & few occasions killed 30 rack. Substance abuse  equals crazy daily viscious cycle of self sabatoge. Good luck to everybody fighting the battle, you will win the war one day. Moderation or cold turkey , hope you find peace. 

Freight Train

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 10:24:08 AM »
Yeah but does Dennis Rodman avoid Dr. Drew when he sees him at LAX on his way to visit his ride-or-die bitch, Kim Jong Un?

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2019, 07:06:31 PM »
Disregard everything I said , clearly a walking contradiction. Fuck sobriety, team relapse

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »
And team fun

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2019, 10:07:09 PM »
Well, I don’t think that's a good idea but stay safe out there. That fun part does not tends to last.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
so been a few weeks for me on the moderation program and seems to be going well. i had a trip to san diego for 3 days which was nights out drinking of course but i still made 6:30am beach volley ball follow by a 5k so probably not too bad. that fits into my social drinking rule. during the week i've been not drinking for the most part and it's been going great. on the weekends i'm starting later and drinking less but still enjoying some drinks. i keep a lot of la croix type soda waters and just smash those when i'm thinking i want a beer. this week i'm down 4 lbs on my weight which is cool. best part for me is probably just sleeping better during the week and not having such a hard ramp up first thing in the morning and i've been skating more.

side note, i saw wes skating down the street in SD near the beach which was pretty epic.

ghettygreensili

• Rep: -9
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2019, 12:29:00 AM »
bump when sober

Three days without drinking at the moment. Only weird thing so far is the extra free time and a confused roommate when I was home on my night off. Looking forward to really seeing what becomes of this.
Frontside grind blind on the government

ghettygreensili

• Rep: -9
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2019, 12:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote
OP gunning for the worst poster on Slap title. He's got a lot of competition, though. I give him one week tops before his next drink.
[close]

RICK I TRIED TO DM YOU FOR TIPS BUT YOU WONT TAKE MY MESSAGES

I THINK ILL BE ABLE TO HOLD STRONG ON NOT DRINKING UNTIL XMAS. IN SOME SICK TWIST IF FATE, THE ONLY TIME I FEEL LIKE I NEED TO DRINK IS WHEN IM WITH MY FAMILY. WORK PARTIES AND SOCIALIZING WITH FRIENDS I COULD CARE LESS

SOBER BUMP I DRANK GINGERALE INSTEAD OF BOURBON TONIGHT

proud of you dude, keep it up
Frontside grind blind on the government

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2019, 05:26:23 PM »
I need to get on the wagon, fuck.

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 13
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
Been on the wagon except for the weekends so far. Whatever idk if that counts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xJd_wJPR1/?igshid=1pupfyv98hvxr

It’s fun what you remember you can do when you’re not focusing on getting drunk every night. Painted this last night.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
Been on the wagon except for the weekends so far. Whatever idk if that counts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xJd_wJPR1/?igshid=1pupfyv98hvxr

It’s fun what you remember you can do when you’re not focusing on getting drunk every night. Painted this last night.

I know some people would say it doesn't count but if its cut down drastically in comparison and is a challenge then fuck it, I say congrats because your still making positive changes

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2019, 07:14:17 AM »
Been sober for around 2,5 months (aside from a beer or two the couple times I've been to a bar to watch some game). Not a conscious decision, just hasn't been much partying going on with my group of friends, or I've been busy working. Normally I drink 2-3 times per month and pretty heavily on those occasions (20-30 beers/shots). Haven't really felt any difference aside from not feeling like garbage for the couple days after drinking and maybe losing a pound or two

What a find

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2019, 12:00:17 PM »
Some of y'all are battling for real, respect

-

Small time issues here but 3 days of cigs and monsters after a little more than a year

Working nights and not sleeping during the day because I missed the sun

Changing life instead of letting life change me. Fuck the substance dependant lifestyle

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2019, 01:05:52 PM »
Whats the deal with certain skateboarders trying to live up this foolish image of "skate, drugs and rock n roll(more like mumble rap)"??? Its like its cool to be a drughead with poor job.
I've seen it alot in teenagers the last few years duo to my job, and it seems to be growing.

Stop being a wozzy, face life drug and alcohol free.

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »
Been on a pretty good bender this week, have to sober up then return to normal life before Monday