Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46758 times)

WastedHippy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #210 on: February 01, 2020, 04:05:46 PM »
Expand Quote
32 days sober ! Probably the longest I've gone in ten years...seems weird to say I haven't drank in 2020
[close]

Congrats man! That’s awesome that you can say that about this year! Wish I could say the same about 2020. I really fucked up the other day and feel terrible about it. Not Corey or Ali level F’ed up, but I feel so fucking guilty. Reached out 3 times and my friend has ghosted me. Damn I feel shitty about it. Oddly enough I almost feel worse about this than ruining my 3 year relationship with my ex girl. Although that shit haunts me and I think about her every day. Moral of the story is, if you’re reading this and think your drinking is ruing some of your personal relationships, please stop or get some help before it’s too late.

Anyway, sorry to rant. Not trying to steal your shine. That’s rad you haven’t had a drink this year!

All good dude ! It's all love in this thread haha to be fair I was just doing a sober january to get some healthy/good routines in place...kinda detox. So now that it's over I'll be drinking again but hopefully stick with the positive routines I've picked up the last month. Lost 11 lb's in the month and I'm not a big guy (6 foot, 187 pounds down to 174) by any means so no booze/increased exercise has made a difference

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #211 on: February 01, 2020, 09:49:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
32 days sober ! Probably the longest I've gone in ten years...seems weird to say I haven't drank in 2020
[close]

Congrats man! That’s awesome that you can say that about this year! Wish I could say the same about 2020. I really fucked up the other day and feel terrible about it. Not Corey or Ali level F’ed up, but I feel so fucking guilty. Reached out 3 times and my friend has ghosted me. Damn I feel shitty about it. Oddly enough I almost feel worse about this than ruining my 3 year relationship with my ex girl. Although that shit haunts me and I think about her every day. Moral of the story is, if you’re reading this and think your drinking is ruing some of your personal relationships, please stop or get some help before it’s too late.

Anyway, sorry to rant. Not trying to steal your shine. That’s rad you haven’t had a drink this year!
[close]

All good dude ! It's all love in this thread haha to be fair I was just doing a sober january to get some healthy/good routines in place...kinda detox. So now that it's over I'll be drinking again but hopefully stick with the positive routines I've picked up the last month. Lost 11 lb's in the month and I'm not a big guy (6 foot, 187 pounds down to 174) by any means so no booze/increased exercise has made a difference

Yeah, I definitely need to get some good clean healthy living going with some positive routines and weight loss in the mix.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #212 on: February 02, 2020, 03:03:23 PM »
Last drink was on January 1st.
Originally planned a sober January post that day.
Now I'm thinking sober February too.

Been more into skating lately and collectively happier than before; fewer mood swings.

Salsa Verde

« Reply #213 on: February 02, 2020, 08:27:42 PM »
Last drink was on January 1st.
Originally planned a sober January post that day.
Now I'm thinking sober February too.

Been more into skating lately and collectively happier than before; fewer mood swings.

Epic. Keep at it.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #214 on: February 03, 2020, 04:17:24 AM »
Pretty cool to see all the people trying to better their life. I just hit a year sober on Jan 11th after a couple years of doing too many drugs. Things are going well and don't have cravings too much. However I do have to stay on top of my mental health and keep a positive attitude so I don't get sucked back into that life.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #215 on: February 03, 2020, 05:23:07 AM »
Pretty cool to see all the people trying to better their life. I just hit a year sober on Jan 11th after a couple years of doing too many drugs. Things are going well and don't have cravings too much. However I do have to stay on top of my mental health and keep a positive attitude so I don't get sucked back into that life.

Good job. I agree, one has to stay focused on the right things, always. Not even a question for an ex-addict. The margins for fucking up/slacking off are tiny.

geneparmesan

• Rep: 21
« Reply #216 on: February 03, 2020, 05:07:56 PM »
For anyone kicking weed, the https://www.reddit.com/r/leaves/ community has a lot of good info. I'm about 5 weeks off of it and experienced intense insomnia for close to a week, about two weeks of feeling nauseous and a total lack of appetite, as well as really vivid, disconcerting dreams (once they began occurring again).

I'm starting to become convinced that the weed that's being cultivated now is stronger and more addictive than the plant is naturally supposed to be. I do miss all the high insights I got, as well as how fun it was to watch the sour videos, but the late nights, munchies and intense brain fog the next day really started to drag me down. Not to mention the total lack of motivation to do basic chores that crept in. I miss it occasionally, but ultimately the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Best of luck to everyone in their sobriety, and keep at it. The clarity in your thinking alone will be more than worth it.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #217 on: February 03, 2020, 11:13:12 PM »
For anyone kicking weed, the https://www.reddit.com/r/leaves/ community has a lot of good info. I'm about 5 weeks off of it and experienced intense insomnia for close to a week, about two weeks of feeling nauseous and a total lack of appetite, as well as really vivid, disconcerting dreams (once they began occurring again).

I'm starting to become convinced that the weed that's being cultivated now is stronger and more addictive than the plant is naturally supposed to be. I do miss all the high insights I got, as well as how fun it was to watch the sour videos, but the late nights, munchies and intense brain fog the next day really started to drag me down. Not to mention the total lack of motivation to do basic chores that crept in. I miss it occasionally, but ultimately the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. Best of luck to everyone in their sobriety, and keep at it. The clarity in your thinking alone will be more than worth it.
    Theyre has been good weed for centuries just not everywhere.  When the US gov. says that weed is 10 times stronger then in the 50s they mean shiddy mex weed that wasnt even bud and they do that to trick soccer moms dude.  Think about it, hash has always been around so theres your high concentration of thc right there, so some strong weed isnt bringing any high to the table that people havent already gotten for centuries.  Dont believe or propigate the anti drug hype jus cause ur going sober.  It is a cancer.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 11:18:37 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

geneparmesan

« Reply #218 on: February 04, 2020, 10:03:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
    Theyre has been good weed for centuries just not everywhere.  When the US gov. says that weed is 10 times stronger then in the 50s they mean shiddy mex weed that wasnt even bud and they do that to trick soccer moms dude.  Think about it, hash has always been around so theres your high concentration of thc right there, so some strong weed isnt bringing any high to the table that people havent already gotten for centuries.  Dont believe or propigate the anti drug hype jus cause ur going sober.  It is a cancer.

I could post links to multiple studies proving that you're wrong, but why are you in a sobriety thread telling people not to propagate anti drug hype? Take your tone policing elsewhere and fuck off.

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #219 on: February 04, 2020, 11:38:50 AM »
I am thinking about giving up drinking for good. Just want my mental and physical health to get back up to 100%.
However, I want to get back out into the dating scene and it's super hard to go around and meet girls outside of bars and parties.

Any sober bros got any helpful tips?

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #220 on: February 04, 2020, 12:02:10 PM »
I am thinking about giving up drinking for good. Just want my mental and physical health to get back up to 100%.
However, I want to get back out into the dating scene and it's super hard to go around and meet girls outside of bars and parties.

Meet sober girls online?
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #221 on: February 04, 2020, 12:27:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Meet sober girls online?

I was in the same boat. Stopped drinking/doing drugs and realized it had been almost a decade since I went on a first (or second/third/20th) date sober. Tried to go to bars sober but probably looked like a creep, would go on dates with people I casually met in public but there was almost no deep connection and my only hobby was skateboarding.

Eventually, tried online dating after a couple years of sobriety. Met my wife from online dating, don't regret a thing.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #222 on: February 04, 2020, 01:13:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Meet sober girls online?
[close]

I was in the same boat. Stopped drinking/doing drugs and realized it had been almost a decade since I went on a first (or second/third/20th) date sober. Tried to go to bars sober but probably looked like a creep, would go on dates with people I casually met in public but there was almost no deep connection and my only hobby was skateboarding.

Eventually, tried online dating after a couple years of sobriety. Met my wife from online dating, don't regret a thing.
My experience too. It makes sense that if I had to rethink how I interact socially in general I would have to rethink how I go about dating people too.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #223 on: February 04, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I could post links to multiple studies proving that you're wrong, but why are you in a sobriety thread telling people not to propagate anti drug hype? Take your tone policing elsewhere and fuck off.
   What am I wrong about dickhead?, post away dude.  Has hash not existed for centuries?  Where are the 200 year old examples of weed from Afghanistan to fairly compare anyway.  This is why u American fucks turn religious when going straight-  needing to do this dramatic 180.  “Multiple studies”. -Jesus Christ help us.

geneparmesan

« Reply #224 on: February 04, 2020, 04:00:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
   What am I wrong about dickhead?, post away dude.  Has hash not existed for centuries?  Where are the 200 year old examples of weed from Afghanistan to fairly compare anyway.  This is why u American fucks turn religious when going straight-  needing to do this dramatic 180.  “Multiple studies”. -Jesus Christ help us.

I wasn't talking about hash. That was a straw man argument that you introduced. Looking at your post history you seem to be a judgmental pedantic nitpicker, same as you did here. Are you angry postin cuz you're jonesin for weed or what?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #225 on: February 04, 2020, 05:16:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quote from: givecigstosurfgroms link=topic=107177.msg3210280#msg3210280
date=1580800392
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I wasn't talking about hash. That was a straw man argument that you introduced. Looking at your post history you seem to be a judgmental pedantic nitpicker, same as you did here. Are you angry postin cuz you're jonesin for weed or what?
   Fuck u yes I’m jonsing for weed.  Again I ask, where is the 200 year old Afghan bud sample that would make any of the bullshit claims ur making verifiable?  The same bullshit claims the us war on drugs has made about weed since the 90s ?  scare tactics. 

geneparmesan

« Reply #226 on: February 04, 2020, 05:37:04 PM »
   Fuck u yes I’m jonsing for weed.  Again I ask, where is the 200 year old Afghan bud sample that would make any of the bullshit claims ur making verifiable?  The same bullshit claims the us war on drugs has made about weed since the 90s ?  scare tactics.

LMAO. Once a pedant, always a pedant. You're not worth the time. Guys, sorry I fed the troll. Best of luck to everyone in their sobriety. Even, and especially you givecigstosurfgroms.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #227 on: February 04, 2020, 05:45:28 PM »
not reading any of that but giv cigs is the kinda guy that starts an argument and then ends up agreeing with your original point, makes your point for you and then ends by arguing against his original disagreement unknowingly . he’s seems like he’s really happy with his life though and i respect that
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #228 on: February 04, 2020, 08:12:16 PM »
Once a pendantic always a pendantic but im not an 'addict'. I just quit weed after a 10 year stint but im sleeping fine and im not crying like a crybaby.
    Edit and thank you for the well wishes, that is def cool.  And i also appologize if ive falsely given the impression im completely happy with where ive gotten myself.  Im alright for sure but...  need alot of work.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 08:22:08 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2020, 10:32:21 PM »
Givecigs, why are you even in this topic?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #230 on: February 05, 2020, 03:35:44 AM »
    I’m off the weed cause I’m in south east Asia. Totally sobs.   I guess I quit heroin cold turkey 15 years ago no relapses or dorky programs but it’s just common sense to quit that shit.  Not something of much note. Edit maybe you are insinuating I’m not being helpful. Sorry if that’s the case.  Stay good.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 05:11:01 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

Womb Service

• Rep: 5
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2020, 04:22:37 AM »
Great thread, made me create an account and share my journey on the wagon.

My ultimate goal is being able to drink in moderation but it's still hard to see myself do that after 2-3 years of drinking 6-8 beers on week days and Jah knows how many over the weekend.

Quit drinking for over a month now and I've been starting to notice the positive differences as of the start of week 4.

If anyone out there has tried or really wants to quit but doesn't seem able to, it really gets better with time.

In my experience, it took 3 weeks of having pretty bad mood swings and feeling lazy (nothing different than when I was drinking apart from the beers not being an option to numb my negative thoughts)

As soon as my mood slowly started improving and energy levels went back up, I made myself get up an hour earlier to do some kind of exercise before work (office job - sitting down 8 hours a day 5 days/week) as I'm currently coming back from an injury which has stopped me from skating for about a month now.

Still a work in progress and I have done a month on the wagon here and there before but this is the first time where I've been wanting to keep it going as I'm blown away by how much better I feel both mentally and physically.

Can't wait to finally get back on the board with a body and mind that doesn't consist of 60% beer.

Good luck too all of you trying to make positive changes in their lives!

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2020, 05:14:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
    I’m off the weed cause I’m in south east Asia. Totally sobs.   I guess I quit heroin cold turkey 15 years ago no relapses or dorky programs but it’s just common sense to quit that shit.  Not something of much note. Edit maybe you are insinuating I’m not being helpful. Sorry if that’s the case.  Stay good.

Was a real question.

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #233 on: February 05, 2020, 05:47:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Meet sober girls online?
[close]

That's awesome to hear that. Good for you!
I hopped on Tinder but every other girl is holding a drink in their hand or talk about shotgunning a white claw. Probably because I'm in my mid 20's and live in a city where drinking is embedded in socialization.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: February 05, 2020, 06:45:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Meet sober girls online?
[close]

[close]

That's awesome to hear that. Good for you!
I hopped on Tinder but every other girl is holding a drink in their hand or talk about shotgunning a white claw. Probably because I'm in my mid 20's and live in a city where drinking is embedded in socialization.

That shit is hard to re-program. Start lifting and eating well. People will lable you as "health freak" but in reality you're twelve months away from shooting up in an alley.

Still don't really know how to deal with that shit, six years deep.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2020, 08:16:21 AM »

My ultimate goal is being able to drink in moderation but it's still hard to see myself do that after 2-3 years of drinking 6-8 beers on week days and Jah knows how many over the weekend.

Quit drinking for over a month now and I've been starting to notice the positive differences as of the start of week 4.

If anyone out there has tried or really wants to quit but doesn't seem able to, it really gets better with time.

In my experience, it took 3 weeks of having pretty bad mood swings and feeling lazy (nothing different than when I was drinking apart from the beers not being an option to numb my negative thoughts)

As soon as my mood slowly started improving and energy levels went back up, I made myself get up an hour earlier to do some kind of exercise before work (office job - sitting down 8 hours a day 5 days/week) as I'm currently coming back from an injury which has stopped me from skating for about a month now.

Still a work in progress and I have done a month on the wagon here and there before but this is the first time where I've been wanting to keep it going as I'm blown away by how much better I feel both mentally and physically.

Can't wait to finally get back on the board with a body and mind that doesn't consist of 60% beer.

props man and welcome to the board

new trick i've been doing lately. i keep mexican cokes in the fridge and at the end of the day when i'm tired and want to relax with a drink it makes a nice treat plus has some caffeine and sugar. been leaning on those and flavored soda water. also been hitting the kind bars at night for a tv watching treat.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #236 on: February 05, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

props man and welcome to the board

new trick i've been doing lately. i keep mexican cokes in the fridge and at the end of the day when i'm tired and want to relax with a drink it makes a nice treat plus has some caffeine and sugar. been leaning on those and flavored soda water. also been hitting the kind bars at night for a tv watching treat.

These are actually pretty damn good, I was always a sucker for these ones:

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2020, 03:01:18 PM »
^ those are pretty tasty. Just saw a commercial comparing cliff bars & kind bars. Can't believe I used to love cliff bars years ago.

Almost broke down earlier in the week by going to a dispensary and a bar. So close amigos, happy I didn't. Two months almost gone down the drain for temporary happiness. Think the problem involves lack of exercising and eating like shit lately. Really need to follow routine to keep mind content. I shudder thinking about how would have felt if I relapsed. Never wanna feel like that again. The come down so awful. Feelings of guilt, regret, spending money on something I shouldn't have , and flopping into a negative funk that takes awhile to get over. Also whenever indulging in the past would have to stay out late due to not running into sober roommates. Which made me feel like a junkie cuz I had to avoid people. Thinking of all that stopped me. Been down that road 100s of times. Super close one gents! One day at a time then dreaming of the day of hitting 1 year.   

Womb Service

• Rep: 5
« Reply #238 on: February 07, 2020, 12:34:02 AM »
Good on you man! I'm still getting used to being around the boys when everyone's drinking but me.
It defenitely helps getting a rountine going that makes you feel better - it can really be anything and doesn't need to take too much effort as long as it gives you some sense of accomplishment.

And hey, every day you add to your number of days being sober is already a huge accomplishment!

I did come here hoping to get some advice on a situation one of my dear friends is in, as maybe some of you may have been in this position yourselves.

He's completely losing his mind due to coke and alcohol and it's very upsetting to progressively see him get worse every single time we hang out. It's got to the point where you cannot hold a conversation with him. Jumps back and forth the weirdest subjects and nothing that comes out makes any sense. This guy is an intelligent and all round good person, known him for years but barely recognise him anymore when we're talking. Last time I saw him I had to come up with an excuse to remove myself from the situation because I couldn't handle it.

I've had talks with him before and know some close friends have too but he doesn't seem to see how bad it's become. What mainly scares the shit out of me it the thought that if something were to happen, I'd regret not talking sense into him.

The difficult thing is that he never seems to be in a state where I feel me bringing up that he needs to find help or do something about this is appropriate because he's always drunk or high when I see him and feel that he wouldn't take it seriously.

Of course I don't want to fall out with him as I love the dude but I feel like someone needs to have this conversation with him before it's too late.

If anyone has any advice on approaching this thing, It'd be greatly appreciated!

Benchpress

« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2020, 12:54:22 AM »
Good on you man! I'm still getting used to being around the boys when everyone's drinking but me.
It defenitely helps getting a rountine going that makes you feel better - it can really be anything and doesn't need to take too much effort as long as it gives you some sense of accomplishment.

And hey, every day you add to your number of days being sober is already a huge accomplishment!

I did come here hoping to get some advice on a situation one of my dear friends is in, as maybe some of you may have been in this position yourselves.

He's completely losing his mind due to coke and alcohol and it's very upsetting to progressively see him get worse every single time we hang out. It's got to the point where you cannot hold a conversation with him. Jumps back and forth the weirdest subjects and nothing that comes out makes any sense. This guy is an intelligent and all round good person, known him for years but barely recognise him anymore when we're talking. Last time I saw him I had to come up with an excuse to remove myself from the situation because I couldn't handle it.

I've had talks with him before and know some close friends have too but he doesn't seem to see how bad it's become. What mainly scares the shit out of me it the thought that if something were to happen, I'd regret not talking sense into him.

The difficult thing is that he never seems to be in a state where I feel me bringing up that he needs to find help or do something about this is appropriate because he's always drunk or high when I see him and feel that he wouldn't take it seriously.

Of course I don't want to fall out with him as I love the dude but I feel like someone needs to have this conversation with him before it's too late.

If anyone has any advice on approaching this thing, It'd be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately man there is nothing more you can do than offer support, offer to listen, and have a shoulder to cry on. You, and other people have said your piece to him. I'm sure he's aware that he's in a troublesome spot but as a lot of people struggling with alcohol and drug issues, are too afraid to admit it.

You can't chase people all day every day trying to get them to cool it, the want to change has to come from within them, all you can do is offer to be there as much as you can when they do have that realization.