Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46756 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2020, 07:22:06 AM »
What I’ve been contemplating on when I’m in a depressed mood is this.

What I found is that when I was drinking, loneliness, sadness, existential despair, they were all still there. I quieted them down and tried to deaden my feelings, but they never left me. They always came back with compounded interest. Especially when very drunk, they would come to the surface.

Depression, loneliness, sadness, sense of futility. I think if we are honest with ourselves about the reality of life, we all have these feelings. However when you are drunk, you don't have strength. I think strength is imperative when facing reality head on. If you have that strength, you can look at these things and say, yeah I feel sad, I feel lonely, but these are my feelings, not some chemical. And conversely, when you are happy, those feelings are your feelings as well. We will always have happiness and tears, but I find that I am stronger and better equipped to deal with sadness sober than I was when I was drunk. I can think about things in a more objective way. I'm not a victim. I am free.
Dueces Bitch's

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2020, 07:34:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Good on you man! I'm still getting used to being around the boys when everyone's drinking but me.
It defenitely helps getting a rountine going that makes you feel better - it can really be anything and doesn't need to take too much effort as long as it gives you some sense of accomplishment.

And hey, every day you add to your number of days being sober is already a huge accomplishment!

I did come here hoping to get some advice on a situation one of my dear friends is in, as maybe some of you may have been in this position yourselves.

He's completely losing his mind due to coke and alcohol and it's very upsetting to progressively see him get worse every single time we hang out. It's got to the point where you cannot hold a conversation with him. Jumps back and forth the weirdest subjects and nothing that comes out makes any sense. This guy is an intelligent and all round good person, known him for years but barely recognise him anymore when we're talking. Last time I saw him I had to come up with an excuse to remove myself from the situation because I couldn't handle it.

I've had talks with him before and know some close friends have too but he doesn't seem to see how bad it's become. What mainly scares the shit out of me it the thought that if something were to happen, I'd regret not talking sense into him.

The difficult thing is that he never seems to be in a state where I feel me bringing up that he needs to find help or do something about this is appropriate because he's always drunk or high when I see him and feel that he wouldn't take it seriously.

Of course I don't want to fall out with him as I love the dude but I feel like someone needs to have this conversation with him before it's too late.

If anyone has any advice on approaching this thing, It'd be greatly appreciated!
[close]

Unfortunately man there is nothing more you can do than offer support, offer to listen, and have a shoulder to cry on. You, and other people have said your piece to him. I'm sure he's aware that he's in a troublesome spot but as a lot of people struggling with alcohol and drug issues, are too afraid to admit it.

You can't chase people all day every day trying to get them to cool it, the want to change has to come from within them, all you can do is offer to be there as much as you can when they do have that realization.

There was a night when I was 19 and my best friend was starting to go into the deep end. He took a bunch of Xanax and drove away from a a party we were at. His mom called me the next morning and said she hadn’t heard from him. Immediately, feeling the guilt of his death on my shoulders, I told her everything I knew about the night before. She found him parked in the middle of the road, facing the opposite direction of traffic, asleep at 7am.

I’m not saying you should immediately run to his family but, if you’re legitimately concerned and it’s an option, I would talk to them.

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2020, 09:14:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Great thread, made me create an account and share my journey on the wagon.

My ultimate goal is being able to drink in moderation but it's still hard to see myself do that after 2-3 years of drinking 6-8 beers on week days and Jah knows how many over the weekend.

Quit drinking for over a month now and I've been starting to notice the positive differences as of the start of week 4.

If anyone out there has tried or really wants to quit but doesn't seem able to, it really gets better with time.

In my experience, it took 3 weeks of having pretty bad mood swings and feeling lazy (nothing different than when I was drinking apart from the beers not being an option to numb my negative thoughts)

As soon as my mood slowly started improving and energy levels went back up, I made myself get up an hour earlier to do some kind of exercise before work (office job - sitting down 8 hours a day 5 days/week) as I'm currently coming back from an injury which has stopped me from skating for about a month now.

Still a work in progress and I have done a month on the wagon here and there before but this is the first time where I've been wanting to keep it going as I'm blown away by how much better I feel both mentally and physically.

Can't wait to finally get back on the board with a body and mind that doesn't consist of 60% beer.

Good luck too all of you trying to make positive changes in their lives!
[close]

props man and welcome to the board

new trick i've been doing lately. i keep mexican cokes in the fridge and at the end of the day when i'm tired and want to relax with a drink it makes a nice treat plus has some caffeine and sugar. been leaning on those and flavored soda water. also been hitting the kind bars at night for a tv watching treat.
[close]

These are actually pretty damn good, I was always a sucker for these ones:

i'll have to get those in the mix. i keep three different types stocked usually and the one below is me and the kids current favorite. i like having a coconut option too. i actually like these better than candy bars at this point, so satisfying.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2020, 10:24:38 AM »
Coming up on three years with out a drink and im really starting to not give a shit anymore. I hate AA and the only thing my other sober friends offer up is that drinking is not worth it. Would see a therapist but I stopped due to it being $80 a visit and now they no longer take my insurance. So I have come here to rant about struggling with sobriety while isolated in the suburbs.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2020, 12:57:00 PM »
20 days no weed today. Hoping to stay off it forever. I like it but it's always such a game changer when I quit.

Womb Service

• Rep: 5
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2020, 01:38:05 AM »
20 days no weed today. Hoping to stay off it forever. I like it but it's always such a game changer when I quit.

Good job man!

Still off the sauce. Amost two months and it's still weird in certain situations.

Never really considered to quit weed though.

I did drastically cut down from smoking all day to now only smoking a tiny spliff in the evenings and I like it to self-reflect at the end of the day and look at things from different perspective.

Of course it impacts every individual differently but I'm interested in hearing what made you want to quit.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2020, 04:56:59 AM »
Really stoked for you guys keeping it up. I am still struggling a bit with my shit, but hope to get it together soon. Fuck opiates holy shit. Need to get my drinking in order now (weed will have to wait). Really love to read about all you pals actually having the strength to do it, regardless of what specifically it actually is your giving up, its not easy, but its not impossible. Shalom y'all!

chris.

• Rep: 184
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2020, 07:19:41 PM »
Never really clicked around Whatever since I came back to Slap but I’m glad I found this thread. I’ll post a little more at some point but just wanted to check in and say much love to everybody here.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2020, 08:11:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good job man!

Still off the sauce. Amost two months and it's still weird in certain situations.

I did drastically cut down from smoking all day to now only smoking a tiny spliff in the evenings and I like it to self-reflect at the end of the day and look at things from different perspective.

Of course it impacts every individual differently but I'm interested in hearing what made you want to quit.
Well for one thing, smoking regular weed just makes me so slow and unmotivated. For the last several months I was buying supposedly CBD weed just so that it would be much weaker and not make me feel so burned out. I can't moderate my smoking. Its all or nothing. The longest I've quit in the past like 10 years was like 6 months and I was way more responsible and functional and able to handle things. More outgoing and less anxious. So I've always wished I could just smoke occasionally but it always turns into an everyday thing. I was smoking that weak stuff, and it kind of worked, but I would still space out around my girlfriend and at work. I started going back to my psych because of my anxiety and inability to function at work and I'm honest when I talk with them. He said he would only treat me and prescribe medication if I was willing to submit to drug testing. It's actually something that a lot of psychiatrists are doing to cover their asses with new laws. I agreed because being on medication makes me much more functional and able to enjoy life and I value that more than getting high. I was already cutting back so much I thought it would be a great way to make sure that I didn't have the option to smoke because I will be held accountable and there will be consequences if I do. I've only quit for more than a month like 3 or 4 times in all these years, and the fact that I'm on a great medication combo has made me not even really think about it too much. I had really bad cravings about a week ago, but it has passed and I don't even really count the days, I just kind of think oh wow, its been 20 days.

I've tried to quit and stick with it for like 6 years now and I always give in. I'm a total bum when I'm smoking, and the total opposite when I don't. I wish I could control it but I know I can't. Weed is the only substance I have ever had trouble quitting oddly enough. And I never even got into like all kinds of crazy concentrates. Just like regular ass weed and edibles before CA regulated them to be a weak waste of money.

Womb Service

• Rep: 5
« Reply #249 on: February 26, 2020, 05:51:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Good job man!

[close]
Well for one thing, smoking regular weed just makes me so slow and unmotivated. For the last several months I was buying supposedly CBD weed just so that it would be much weaker and not make me feel so burned out. I can't moderate my smoking. Its all or nothing. The longest I've quit in the past like 10 years was like 6 months and I was way more responsible and functional and able to handle things. More outgoing and less anxious. So I've always wished I could just smoke occasionally but it always turns into an everyday thing. I was smoking that weak stuff, and it kind of worked, but I would still space out around my girlfriend and at work. I started going back to my psych because of my anxiety and inability to function at work and I'm honest when I talk with them. He said he would only treat me and prescribe medication if I was willing to submit to drug testing. It's actually something that a lot of psychiatrists are doing to cover their asses with new laws. I agreed because being on medication makes me much more functional and able to enjoy life and I value that more than getting high. I was already cutting back so much I thought it would be a great way to make sure that I didn't have the option to smoke because I will be held accountable and there will be consequences if I do. I've only quit for more than a month like 3 or 4 times in all these years, and the fact that I'm on a great medication combo has made me not even really think about it too much. I had really bad cravings about a week ago, but it has passed and I don't even really count the days, I just kind of think oh wow, its been 20 days.

I've tried to quit and stick with it for like 6 years now and I always give in. I'm a total bum when I'm smoking, and the total opposite when I don't. I wish I could control it but I know I can't. Weed is the only substance I have ever had trouble quitting oddly enough. And I never even got into like all kinds of crazy concentrates. Just like regular ass weed and edibles before CA regulated them to be a weak waste of money.

I feel you. Being unproductive was one of the reasons for me to cut down. On top of that I felt that being high all day also made me avoid social interaction when possible. I'm already a quite reserved and introverted person so smoking weed only amplifies that.

Can't relate much to the anxiety as the only episodes I've had were when coming down from benders in the past and those were terrible. Can only imagine how it feels dealing with this on a regular basis.

I know this isn't for everyone but mushrooms really helped me make mental clicks to start different and healthier lifestyle routines.

I would always realize when my drinking or drug use started getting out of hand and that I needed to quit but once stuck in a negative pattern, feeling that these substances are the only way to feel good, made it hard to actually make changes.

Some guy used the analogy of your mind being a snow topped mountain and every day you take your sled and go down. By going down the mountain you create grooves in the snow, these grooves being your daily routines. Over time, every day you go sled down you can't help but slip back into these grooves. When having an intense experience on mushrooms it's like there's fresh snow on your mountain and you can take a different way down without slipping back into these old grooves.

Sounds corny but I find it quite accurate. After a trip where I've felt so connected with nature and being so deep into my thoughts, I usually come out with a new appreciation of everything and everyone around me and this motivates me to work on things I don't like about my life/behaviour and actually stick to them.

Lately starting thinking how fortunate I feel about having found skateboarding 15 years ago. I realize I've wasted the past 3 years due to drinking and partying which at first was a bummer. Now I'm more stoked than ever as this injury is finally healed up, I'm in the best shape I've been in since my early 20's and I'm looking at my first session in 2 months this weekend.

Hope talking to the psych helps and things start looking brighter soon - hang in there!

Really stoked for you guys keeping it up. I am still struggling a bit with my shit, but hope to get it together soon. Fuck opiates holy shit. Need to get my drinking in order now (weed will have to wait). Really love to read about all you pals actually having the strength to do it, regardless of what specifically it actually is your giving up, its not easy, but its not impossible. Shalom y'all!

Drinking is a damn hard one to give up but as you said: regardless of what specifically it actually is your giving up, its not easy, but its not impossible.

All the best to you!

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2020, 06:15:46 PM »
been doing the sober thing on and off for last 3yrs, like 1 1/2 months max, then a couple weeks of drinking...which has at least one day of drinking binging (6-12 beers nothing heavy).

This year i've gotten past the furthest and was gifted my favorite beer last week. kind of almost gave into drinking them yesterday...even though im not drinking I STRONGLY believe one should NEVER waste alcohol or weed, not going to throw them away... the will power prevailed thanks to video games
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:17:28 PM by Abyss1 »

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2020, 06:58:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Good job man!

[close]

[close]

I feel you. Being unproductive was one of the reasons for me to cut down. On top of that I felt that being high all day also made me avoid social interaction when possible. I'm already a quite reserved and introverted person so smoking weed only amplifies that.

Can't relate much to the anxiety as the only episodes I've had were when coming down from benders in the past and those were terrible. Can only imagine how it feels dealing with this on a regular basis.

I know this isn't for everyone but mushrooms really helped me make mental clicks to start different and healthier lifestyle routines.

I would always realize when my drinking or drug use started getting out of hand and that I needed to quit but once stuck in a negative pattern, feeling that these substances are the only way to feel good, made it hard to actually make changes.

Some guy used the analogy of your mind being a snow topped mountain and every day you take your sled and go down. By going down the mountain you create grooves in the snow, these grooves being your daily routines. Over time, every day you go sled down you can't help but slip back into these grooves. When having an intense experience on mushrooms it's like there's fresh snow on your mountain and you can take a different way down without slipping back into these old grooves.

Sounds corny but I find it quite accurate. After a trip where I've felt so connected with nature and being so deep into my thoughts, I usually come out with a new appreciation of everything and everyone around me and this motivates me to work on things I don't like about my life/behaviour and actually stick to them.

Lately starting thinking how fortunate I feel about having found skateboarding 15 years ago. I realize I've wasted the past 3 years due to drinking and partying which at first was a bummer. Now I'm more stoked than ever as this injury is finally healed up, I'm in the best shape I've been in since my early 20's and I'm looking at my first session in 2 months this weekend.

Hope talking to the psych helps and things start looking brighter soon - hang in there!

Expand Quote
[close]

Drinking is a damn hard one to give up but as you said: regardless of what specifically it actually is your giving up, its not easy, but its not impossible.

All the best to you!
Makes sense to me. And honestly I have been wanting to do mushrooms for a couple years now, just haven't had an opportunity. Even my girlfriend who is anti-drug has talked about wanting to do it, she did a tiny bit when she was young, but didn't feel it too crazy, she's never even smoked weed lol. Weed is the only thing I have a problem with. Even though I drank a ton when I was young, I never had trouble stopping. I've done blow for like a whole summer and never bought it for personal use or had trouble stopping, have taken pain pills and all that shit. Only weed is a problem for me, I think it is for a lot of people but there is so much bullshit pro-pot propaganda, it's just as dumb to me as ant-pot propaganda. Everything in moderation, and I think I clicked with weed because my mind races so much with anxiety that it would slow it down, but too much so. When I first drank I liked it because it made me less anxious at parties, but still, I never had a problem with it. I've gotten in trouble with drinking, but just the kind that any skate type kid could. I got a DUI at 19 because we were leaving a show and my friends were totally shit faced. I didn't drive us there but I was too scared to let them drive and got popped. A car was riding my ass in my friends fucked up car, and as I'm about to stop at a light I didn't stop all the way because I thought they were going to hit us. Then the blue and red lights, and that's all she wrote. But like now, I had 2 or 3 drinks on Christmas, and besides that I drank like maybe 1 time the whole year prior. Still haven't had a drink since then. I will in a week or so though because I'm moving home and Chili's is right there, and I love those fucking margaritas lol.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #252 on: February 29, 2020, 05:41:02 PM »
Coming up on three years with out a drink and im really starting to not give a shit anymore. I hate AA and the only thing my other sober friends offer up is that drinking is not worth it. Would see a therapist but I stopped due to it being $80 a visit and now they no longer take my insurance. So I have come here to rant about struggling with sobriety while isolated in the suburbs.

Yo my G, big ups on the 3 years. I'm somewhere past 4 and it's been real. I've hit points where i've started to not give a fuck and think about drinking again, but i remind myself of how much trouble I am NOT in and that i've got my shit halfway together in a way that I wouldn't if I was still drinking. I've gone on substitution benders with other shit in the past 4 years, but I come from a place where everything can be a party- driving to the store- bring a road soda, go to the skatepark- best have a 6er in the backpack- hit the bar for lunch, go do some shit have some drinks, go to the bar again. blah blah blah. i'm writing this out, really, to remind myself.

DMT and buddhist meditation have been the best things to show me something better than the sauce. no joke. anyways, you got this!
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #253 on: March 01, 2020, 01:00:59 AM »
been doing the sober thing on and off for last 3yrs, like 1 1/2 months max, then a couple weeks of drinking...which has at least one day of drinking binging (6-12 beers nothing heavy).

This year i've gotten past the furthest and was gifted my favorite beer last week. kind of almost gave into drinking them yesterday...even though im not drinking I STRONGLY believe one should NEVER waste alcohol or weed, not going to throw them away... the will power prevailed thanks to video games

Never waste drugs? When I was fiending, I'd take as much as I could and fall a sleep ten minutes later. Wake up sick and wish I did not waste all that dope.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #254 on: March 01, 2020, 05:53:10 AM »
Thought I was gonna celebrate last night cause an article of mine got posted but I went out to dinner then bought these instead. Onto month three of sobriety

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #255 on: March 26, 2020, 03:13:04 AM »
Mental health declining so hopping back on the sober train.   
Day 1 again

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #256 on: March 26, 2020, 07:33:46 AM »
Thought I was gonna celebrate last night cause an article of mine got posted but I went out to dinner then bought these instead. Onto month three of sobriety

Yea this whole quarantine thing has me bored at times ... and a couple of times when I went to the local 7-11 I thought about getting some tall boys but end up getting Red Bull’s

Been about to 10yrs since I’ve been 4 months sober
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:35:19 AM by Abyss1 »

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #257 on: March 26, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »
Yo. I joined you guys about four weeks ago. My girlfriend convinced me to join her in giving up alcohol for lent this year. I am not religious at all but I figured it would be a good way to get in shape for spring.

It definitely felt abit weird on the first two weekends to go out without drinking. I have a bit of social anxiety sometimes and drinking always does wonders for that. It was fine though. I kind of got a littel buzz off the vibe of the people arround me and I just left when people got annoying. I have more energy now and it is great not to get hangovers. I have regretted my comitment abit since Corona forces me to spend so much time at home. Some days I would like to relax with a few beers. I also miss drinking when playing music with friends.
I will definitely get back into moderate drinking after easter. 

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #258 on: March 26, 2020, 04:48:33 PM »
Like a lot of ppl, I grew up binge drinking. Growing up where I grew up with the ppl I grew up with, it was all I knew. Started with the house parties in HS then continued through college & pretty much thereafter. After my pops died just before I turned 30, I was drinking heavily & ended up in the hospital one night with alcohol poisoning. Collapsed in a bar, had to be picked up in an ambulance, lost my wallet & car keys (incl. my bloop-bloop alarm shit), forced a female co-worker to have to babysit me, etc. I also shit my pants lol (though nobody knew that). The whole thing ended up costing me about $3,000 & was embarrassing & if it had happened an hour earlier, i could have lost my job as I had been double-fisting partying on company grounds. I realized i didn't want to blackout anymore and have to try to piece together my actions of nights previous.

I went to AA but that was all on that God shit. I also had no real intention of ceasing drinking completely. Plus, there was a lot of ppl in AA that really should be in NA (but they don't want to go there due to the stigma).

Finally, I went to a session of Moderation Management, which is more science-based than faith-based. It also does not promote complete sobriety but rather moderation. It made me look at my drinking more from a self-harm prevention perspective, i.e. how can you drink without putting yourself in a position to harm yourself/be harmed.

The Moderation Management program recommends ceasing drinking and drug use for about 6 months when you start. I didn't drink for 6 months (and stopped smoking weed for 3 month).

After which I began to slowly incorporate drinking back into my life. Nowadays, I no longer drink on the way to the bar/party to save money, I drink waters costantly all night when I go out and drink alcohol (it makes me have to pee more but F it, better than getting destroyed), If I drink bottled beers I keep count of the caps in my pocket and I rarely if ever partake in open bars. I have to hold myself accountable through either having to drive later or not wanting to spend too much money.

I like being in control.

Eight or so years later and I have yet to ever blackout again. I don't vomit. I don'twonder what I did the night before. One night I did have too many gin martinis and stumbled home, but that was when I was trying to change from beer to gin for health reasons. I am in the bar often but never too drunk. In fact, I am often the person who ppl go to for advice when they fall into a habit of drinking too heavily. I usually don't proffer the advice until they approach me for help then I do it in a productive way.

I wish you all the best.

Note: Moderation Management is a controversial program because it does NOT promote abstinance and because its founder ultimately relapsed, killed someone in an automobile accident and then subsequently committed suicide. I only went to one session and that was enough for me to figure out the gist of the program for the most part.  It worked for me but I understand if some ppl need complete abstinence.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:30 AM »
I also shit my pants lol (though nobody knew that)

Wrong. Everybody knew.

The Moderation Management program recommends ceasing drinking and drug use for about 6 months when you start.

Question: If I could do that, I would not be in the fucking program to begin with, right?

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2020, 04:27:27 AM »
I don't think I have posted in this thread yet, but I have been reading all of it and I appreciate how open everyone is about their lifestyles and alcohol consumption. I'm still working out what approach is best for me.
I normally drink beer and wine in moderation, maybe like three beers three nights a week. But COVID-19 stress has got me drinking almost every night and in higher volume. My eating habits are also worse as I am stress eating. Anyone else experiencing this?

Salsa Verde

• Rep: 9
« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2020, 08:26:07 AM »
I don't think I have posted in this thread yet, but I have been reading all of it and I appreciate how open everyone is about their lifestyles and alcohol consumption. I'm still working out what approach is best for me.
I normally drink beer and wine in moderation, maybe like three beers three nights a week. But COVID-19 stress has got me drinking almost every night and in higher volume. My eating habits are also worse as I am stress eating. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2020, 10:22:26 AM »

I've been stress eating yes, I'm however cutting out all alcohol until this all blows over.

However long that takes.

burtreynolds.jpeg

« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »
Proud to say I haven't drank in over 5 months.

My mental and physical health is still kinda shite having an autoimmune disease. However, I think not drinking helps me more than I think.

With everything going on in the world and my personal life, it's really hard to not break the sober train but maybe now is the time to gain back some consciousness and confidence to push through without a vice.

Cheers to anyone who is trying to get sober, and cheers to the people who can handle using substances. Hope you are all doing well and staying healthy!

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2020, 12:59:49 PM »
Proud to say I haven't drank in over 5 months.

My mental and physical health is still kinda shite having an autoimmune disease. However, I think not drinking helps me more than I think.

With everything going on in the world and my personal life, it's really hard to not break the sober train but maybe now is the time to gain back some consciousness and confidence to push through without a vice.

Cheers to anyone who is trying to get sober, and cheers to the people who can handle using substances. Hope you are all doing well and staying healthy!

big ups playa. even if no one else is, i'm proud of you!
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
Expand Quote
The Moderation Management program recommends ceasing drinking and drug use for about 6 months when you start.
[close]

Question: If I could do that, I would not be in the fucking program to begin with, right?

You can't stop drinking for 6 months after you identify your bottom?  Maybe you should be in AA...

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »
This drinking thing is not for you, mate...

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #267 on: March 27, 2020, 09:53:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You can't stop drinking for 6 months after you identify your bottom?  Maybe you should be in AA...

That is my point. I used while being in the rehab...

rawr1922

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #268 on: April 02, 2020, 01:02:37 PM »
Taking my buddy for one last trip then helping him move to a 30 day rehab facility tomorrow. Happy for him.  Ironic, should be joining him but he's into harder stuff. Day 5 sober for me

Flying Rodent

« Reply #269 on: April 13, 2020, 04:57:56 PM »
I'll try to avoid telling my entire life story here, but basically I'm 32 now and I've been drinking way too heavily since my early 20s. Before that I would binge drink on weekends, but at some point it started happening all through the week.

At it's worst, a few years ago, I was drinking up to 20 beers a night, at least every second day. Often the benders would last a good four or more days, then I might have one day off.

Since I met my fiance three years ago I've managed to keep it mostly to weekends, but I'm still unable to control myself once I hit the bottle. Every weekend, I literally write a list of mistakes not to repeat, yet I end up repeating them every time.

It's mostly staying up on my own, drinking a stupid amount and listening to music in a trance until I pass out on the couch. Often I'll wake up about 4am, stumble off to bed, then I'm awake at 6am without fail and can't get back to sleep.

It really fucks my weekends because I always feel like shit come Saturday. Lacking sleep, irritable, regretful of all the stupid fucking messages I sent to people the night before (usually just telling them how awesome they are - I'm a happy drunk for the most part) and time I wasted scrolling through instagram like a zombie. If I'm back home with my friends, it can be even worse because I get so excited that we just drink all afternoon while skating and then all fucking night. Fat chance of having a good skate after that.

Usually the only way to feel better and to make myself skate (or do any of my other hobbies) is to get back on the bottle. This has become another problem too: I find it really difficult to skate without drinking. It just feels so much better and I'm so much more motivated when I'm drinking beers.

Then there's Mondays, they're usually always fucked, even if i don't drink on Sunday. I don't feel normal again until Tuesday or Wednesday, and by Friday, I'm ready to do it all over again.

Well, two weekends ago I woke up Sunday morning in my bed, in a puddle of my own piss. I don't think that's ever happened before. My fiance - with whom I'm trying for a baby at the moment - was so fucking bummed. I was convinced last weekend would be different, but it was the same old story (sans pissing the bed).

Anyway, I think I've come to the end of the road and need to make some changes. I've felt like this a million times before. I can stay motivated for a time, and then something clicks and I'm back to my old self. Last October I went a whole month without a drop. It was great for about two weeks, then it was torture.

Part of the issue is that I cannot do moderation at all. I suppose, I'd ideally like to be able to keep drinking in moderation - but I'm starting to realise I may need to just quit altogether.

Any advice would be much appreciated.