Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 46747 times)

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #330 on: April 28, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »
So I’ve been off drugs for years now, and stopped smoking weed about a year ago. I’ve been trying to stop drinking, but it’s so fucking hard. I truly thought weed would be harder… I’ve got a great job, happy wife, and don’t drink enough in a sitting to be smashed, but I definitely drink every day and have a problem with it. The habit is just so hard to kick and the fear/anxiety I feel is mentally fucking with me. Any tips would be welcome. My birthday is the end of May, and the best gift I can think of is being sober… thanks y’all.

hey! another gemini trying to quit drinking. I know a lot of us  :o

do you have any coping skills other than drinking that can help with the anxiety? it's a strange sword, right? the whole having anxiety about not drinking and drinking because we have some sort of anxiety about living and having to deal with the anxiety that we've blunted through drinking? find something physical to do, if you can do physical stuff. run. it kicks your ass. exercise to the point of exhaustion. do something that you don't correlate with drinking. Like me, I used to drink all the time unless I was doing yoga or meditating, so I really kicked those up into high gear. I mean, I'd stash beers in the bag for bike ride, when I was skating, when I was on a hike, when I was going to the hardware store, hanging with my family, blah blah blah, everything was an excuse to low key have a beer. So, I tried to do new stuff, like work on my car, build things, etc and it took a while to truly embrace the new stuff, it was worth it. Now I'm also able to do all the old stuff that I once drank while doing, without wanting to drink.

Also, setting a goal can be really really helpful. I started out gunning for 30days, made a hand drawn "days without drinking" calendar, and checked that off every day. Then I made another one, and another one, keeping notes about what I did "went on walk to... built this..." I eventually started adding "days without drinking, 30 pushups, run 1 mile, pull ups, etc" and it turned into a new sorta lifestyle.

you can do this homie
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Mongey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -5
« Reply #331 on: April 28, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »
So I’ve been off drugs for years now, and stopped smoking weed about a year ago. I’ve been trying to stop drinking, but it’s so fucking hard. I truly thought weed would be harder… I’ve got a great job, happy wife, and don’t drink enough in a sitting to be smashed, but I definitely drink every day and have a problem with it. The habit is just so hard to kick and the fear/anxiety I feel is mentally fucking with me. Any tips would be welcome. My birthday is the end of May, and the best gift I can think of is being sober… thanks y’all.

I far from the guy to listen to but I’m really Similar. I am 5 days in now and can’t  remember last time I went 5 days without a beer. At least a few years.

For me it just feels like it’s time for a break. I feel ready in myself to do it. I think that’s the thing. Unless you really want to do it , it doesn’t work.

Also I have been telling people that I’m on a 12 week healthy plan. Def makes it more real to talk about it.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #332 on: April 29, 2021, 03:01:07 AM »
It is important to let people know you don‘t drink anymore. It may take a while but once the people surrounding you have acknowledged this, the effect is twofold: (1) they will stop proposing to go out drinking and/or offering you alcoholic beverages (if they are your friends, they will indeed offer you non alcoholic beverages and sometimes even refrain from drinking in your presence out of respect for you) and (2) it will serve you as a mental barrier from relapsing as your brain tells you that you would then have to justify why you got drunk altho you have told them repeatedly you were tea total (it works even if in reality they would probably not even care).

Tl;dr: Make it known that you don‘t drink (anymore).

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #333 on: April 29, 2021, 06:01:48 AM »
8 months opiate free. I had always taken breaks and shit but this is definitely the longest I’ve gone entirely without. Addiction sucks, being in too much pain to go for a walk sucks as well. The fact that there isn’t a happy medium sucks. Etc

You know they’ve developed addiction-free painkillers like real deal shit not some Hollistic horseshit. But there’s no money in that

Free max b
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 06:18:11 AM by Pete »
FREE MAX B

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
« Reply #334 on: April 29, 2021, 06:51:29 AM »
for those who went sober, did you find that it sobriety had a positive affect on your skating?

if so, in what ways?

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #335 on: April 29, 2021, 09:49:37 AM »
8 months opiate free. I had always taken breaks and shit but this is definitely the longest I’ve gone entirely without. Addiction sucks, being in too much pain to go for a walk sucks as well. The fact that there isn’t a happy medium sucks. Etc

You know they’ve developed addiction-free painkillers like real deal shit not some Hollistic horseshit. But there’s no money in that

Free max b

That'd be great. I wonder how they work. I remember when they were saying the OG OCs were addiction proof and the world got flooded with 80s. That was some truly evil shit.

Good for you dude. Very very cool. I'm glad you're alive and not playing the fent game. Fuck that shit, it was easy enough to die before when you knew what you were getting. Stay safe man

Frank and Fred

« Reply #336 on: April 29, 2021, 10:12:09 AM »
for those who went sober, did you find that it sobriety had a positive affect on your skating?

if so, in what ways?

I wasn't heavy drinker but pretty consistent. Couple of beers a night. I took January through March completely off and I noticed a big reduction in pain. Things like knee pain and lower back pain that I just put down to being a middle aged skateboarder went away completely. I can't be sure it was all due to alcohol avoidance but I changed little else during that same time period (maybe less sugar also) and was actually stretching less. Spring break, I had a good few beers over that week and noticed those little pains start to creep back up.

I'm now pretty committed to limiting my drinking to one or two on Fridays and Saturdays at this point, especially if it means I can abuse my body more with skateboarding. There is no getting away from the inflammatory potential of alcohol.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #337 on: April 29, 2021, 10:23:51 AM »

if so, in what ways?

found i can skate longer and at earlier times of the day and I don't pressure myself to do tricks all the time

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #338 on: April 30, 2021, 12:17:50 PM »

if so, in what ways?

yes.  your quads, hamstrings, thigh muscles, etc. that shit dries out and gets stiff from alcohol. 

right after I cut out all hard liquor and started slowing way down on beers my pop and stamina literally came back. 

but also if you wanna skate better do a bunch of planks and core strength bodyweight exercises.  that helps a ton

Mongey

• Rep: -5
« Reply #339 on: May 09, 2021, 04:04:15 AM »
Hit my 2 weeks booze free today. Had a few tough moments  ,but not too many. Been at least 7 years since I’ve done 2 weeks with out a sip.

Bought some zero alcohol beer for the tough moments and it’s really helped surprisingly . Like a Friday night after a long week. One of those after we get the kids fed and in bed  def helps me settle down on the urge.

My first goal is 1 month. So halfway there. Gotta keep at it.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #340 on: May 09, 2021, 01:56:42 PM »
Hit my 2 weeks booze free today. Had a few tough moments  ,but not too many. Been at least 7 years since I’ve done 2 weeks with out a sip.

Bought some zero alcohol beer for the tough moments and it’s really helped surprisingly . Like a Friday night after a long week. One of those after we get the kids fed and in bed  def helps me settle down on the urge.

it’s corny but it’s easy if you just think of it is a one day at a time
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #341 on: May 11, 2021, 06:56:02 AM »
almost 4 days off kratom. that shit had a hold on me for 3 years. still feel pretty shitty, but I’m getting through the worst of it. looking forward to not have to depend on a substance anymore.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2021, 03:30:01 PM »
Just bumping to say I have almost gone 7 months without alcohol, longest I have gone since I have started drinking. Can't say I am sober because I smoke weed every now and again but damn I cannot deny how much better I have felt the last few months

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2021, 06:31:24 PM »

Congratulations @Mongey that's amazing. One day at a time <3

Below Average

« Reply #344 on: April 02, 2022, 05:01:26 PM »
So I quit drinking close to a year ago now and it’s honestly been fantastic so far. I feel like a completely different person now and my mood has improved drastically to the point where I feel like my old self again before my drinking got out of control. I told myself at the time when I stopped that I would just stick to weed for the rest of my life and things would be ok like that. Or so I thought..

I have been smoking weed on and off for a long time now, and I’ve been lighting up almost every day since the pandemic hit. Everything was fine for a while and I even got the opportunity to try a huge variety of edibles which were fun. I was also super excited about my state legalizing weed last year which was a huge relief because I was always super paranoid about the legal ramifications that came with buying and using weed.

But something has come over me recently, almost like a switch went off in my head that all of a sudden changed my perspective about life and where I am at the moment, and who I want to be going forward. I think because of this, I started to get very intense anxiety every time I got high, to the point where I’d wish I was sober instead. I even tried different strains of bud, but it didn’t seem to help and I would just get stuck in my head way too much.  I am almost 32 now and I think a lot of it has to do with me getting older and just naturally growing as a human being, or even simply just out-growing things that I was once into when I was younger.

I’ve decided that weed is not for me anymore, as I no longer enjoy it when I light up. Some of my friends were shocked that I decided to quit that too, since I was all about it for the past couple of years. I realized that living a completely sober life is the life I want to live and I couldn’t be more happier in my decision.  I’m never looking back.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
« Reply #345 on: April 02, 2022, 06:06:42 PM »

if so, in what ways?

Your muscles recover much much faster when you aren't drunk all the time.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #346 on: April 03, 2022, 09:55:48 AM »
Expand Quote

if so, in what ways?
[close]

Your muscles recover much much faster when you aren't drunk all the time.

Yes. I'm used to crush beers and skate. I'd do cool shit but my stamina was artificially inflated and when I'd eat it, I'd get far more hurt than I should have

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2022, 10:10:11 AM »
I notice after quitting drinking for a year i am so much more sensitive to a night of bad sleep/or eating a bunch of greasy/sugary food. im weak af

I think my baseline has changed because being hungover all the time used to be the norm so functioning throughout a normal day was always foggy/headache was there and feeling like shit was tolerable

but of course overall feel way better

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: April 05, 2022, 11:03:51 AM »
I notice after quitting drinking for a year i am so much more sensitive to a night of bad sleep/or eating a bunch of greasy/sugary food. im weak af

I think my baseline has changed because being hungover all the time used to be the norm so functioning throughout a normal day was always foggy/headache was there and feeling like shit was tolerable

dude. my dude. it took about a year of not drinking to realize that I had always been hungover and didn't realize that feeling like that was a result of drinking and living that life. Now, shit, if I don't get my 8 hours, I'm having anxiety attacks and shit

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: April 05, 2022, 03:33:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

dude. my dude. it took about a year of not drinking to realize that I had always been hungover and didn't realize that feeling like that was a result of drinking and living that life. Now, shit, if I don't get my 8 hours, I'm having anxiety attacks and shit

hahaha so true. the other day got less than 4 hours and had to do shit all day the next day, felt so dead. old hungover me woulda rallied much harder lmao

AlexOlsonsDashiki

• Rep: 39
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2022, 07:32:30 PM »
I celebrated 4 years sober on april 1st

I had the toughest year of my life last year. I was just starting to get settled in at a new job as a software engineer so my responsibilities were ramped up. Days after my 3 year anniversary my kids mom left and moved in with her boss. I learned how to be a single dad, ended up in an abusive relationship, got out of that relationship, started doing stand up comedy, grew closer with my daughter than I ever have been, have began making money doing comedy, close on my first house next week, started utilizing run-on sentences.

What I thought was going to be the end of my sobriety ended up being the catalyst for what is now the happiest I have ever been in my life. Keep on keeping on guys and gals.
Every time the McRib comes out I buy it. I don't even like the damn things.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #351 on: April 07, 2022, 10:26:50 PM »
9 years today.

Keep your heads up, pals.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #352 on: April 08, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »
9 years today.

Keep your heads up, pals.

Hell ya, kid. Big 9. Double digits coming up on ya

hmmmokay

« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2022, 01:29:44 PM »
Posting this because I'm stoked but also for a little accountability. Hit a month sober the other day (today will be day 33) and I'm feeling good, better than in a long time. I've had stretches of sobriety in the past but this feels very different, and I am much more confident and committed.

Much love to all the sober pals sharing their stories, both the struggles and successes.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2022, 05:07:30 PM »
Posting this because I'm stoked but also for a little accountability. Hit a month sober the other day (today will be day 33) and I'm feeling good, better than in a long time. I've had stretches of sobriety in the past but this feels very different, and I am much more confident and committed.

Much love to all the sober pals sharing their stories, both the struggles and successes.

first month is huge. I still have the calendar I created to track the days during that month. good for you, hombre.

Bunk Moreland

« Reply #355 on: April 11, 2022, 06:39:29 PM »
I need to not drink. I got fucking fat, and I need to not be fat. I don’t even like drinking anymore, I have how I feel, but I love beer. My friends all drink. Any time we do something it’s always beers after. I like my friends, but I think I need to set some boundaries.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: April 11, 2022, 07:03:35 PM »
I need to not drink. I got fucking fat, and I need to not be fat. I don’t even like drinking anymore, I have how I feel, but I love beer. My friends all drink. Any time we do something it’s always beers after. I like my friends, but I think I need to set some boundaries.

I had to leave some "friends" behind on the journey to stop drinking beer. the real ones still holler to hang out and do other stuff. they're also cool about not getting wasted around me and respecting that I'm not going to go to the bar. the new, post drinking friendships have been developed around things that aren't and have nothing to do with drinking.

hardest ones been with my pop though. we were good drinking buddies. man, my mom hated it when me and my dad would take a drive his ford ranger to the packy and redeem cans/bottles at like 11am on a Saturday. use the redemption money to pay for more beers. split a couple bombers on the back roads home. stop by the bar for kale soup and stuffed quahogs. next thing you know we're sitting on the front step drinking some IPAs and its 8pm and we gotta walk back to the bar to shoot pool. that was the relationship we kicked it with for most of my 20s. real hard to rearrange that sort of shit over the past 7 years, but it's gotten better and easier. Old man really tries to respect me like that.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #357 on: April 11, 2022, 10:06:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

first month is huge. I still have the calendar I created to track the days during that month. good for you, hombre.

Truly is huge and hard. Now you know it's possible, keep working!

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #358 on: April 11, 2022, 10:35:28 PM »
Props to everyone sharing their stories and doing what they can to better themselves. I’m coming up on four months off the sauce and I really don’t miss it.. it’s definitely the longest time I’ve gone without drinking in a handful of years. Most of 2019, all of 2020, and most of 2021 I was drinking every fucking day. Fuck that noise. I was so tired of being tired and bloated and the dumb arguments.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #359 on: April 11, 2022, 11:15:23 PM »
Since I finally found a decent work-life balance I’ve been able to cut down booze and weed A LOT.

Total sobriety always seemed a bit forced to me.
I totally respect those who do it tho of course, and I was influenced by SxE bands when I was younger.

But yeah I basically cut everything down to the weekend and even then it’s not what it used to be unless I’m on holiday or there’s a particular celebration.

No more half bottles of bourbon on Tuesday nights and ounces of weed.
No more shots of Jager with drops of benzos on mornings while wfh.

I always knew there was something off when I was doing it that way. It was my reaction to a life and a society I couldn’t keep up with. To keep my mind limber you know?

But fuck yeah I’m so happy about myself. At some point I’m gonna quit cigs tho, those are the most subtle and stupid bullshit. I will get there.

Big up to everyone ‘exposing’ their weaknesses and even if just one person (even lurkers) read this and get somehow inspired by it that would make my day I’m telling you.

Choose life.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.