Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 48657 times)

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #570 on: July 10, 2023, 04:35:40 AM »
Two weeks sober today. I’ve had some cravings but my life in the long run will be better. I’ll actually have a life not just be a prisoner to weed and alcohol when I didn’t have any. I’m very sad and depressed right now but I’m not numbing my pain away. Trying to let it out.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #571 on: July 10, 2023, 04:48:36 AM »
Two weeks sober today. I’ve had some cravings but my life in the long run will be better. I’ll actually have a life not just be a prisoner to weed and alcohol when I didn’t have any. I’m very sad and depressed right now but I’m not numbing my pain away. Trying to let it out.

Stay strong. It's not easy but I am convinced that you are doing the right thing. You're not in this alone, many pals are going through this.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #572 on: July 10, 2023, 06:27:27 AM »
Congrats Idk!  That’s a huge accomplishment.  If you’re feeling down maybe try reading or listening to some material about the benefits of sobriety?  I don’t like the stuff that’s prefaced or focuses on the dark times leading up to it, but there’s some great motivational resources out there to remind you why you’re doing it, and why you’ll thank yourself soon.

I’m at 3 months today.  In the beginning I was worried that my life wouldn’t actually improve going sober, that I’d still be bored, sad and unmotivated.  It’s crazy how untrue that was.  I have more time, money, energy, mental well-being, etc.  I’m taking on and enjoying things that before would’ve felt like an absolute chore. 

I also have to give credit to my supportive partner, friends and family.  If they drank around me like I used to in their presence, this would be a lot harder.  So I truly appreciate their patience with me when I was down bad.  Be kind to yourself and others.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #573 on: July 10, 2023, 06:29:41 AM »
Congrats Idk!  That’s a huge accomplishment.  If you’re feeling down maybe try reading or listening to some material about the benefits of sobriety?  I don’t like the stuff that’s prefaced or focuses on the dark times leading up to it, but there’s some great motivational resources out there to remind you why you’re doing it, and why you’ll thank yourself soon.

I’m at 3 months today.  In the beginning I was worried that my life wouldn’t actually improve going sober, that I’d still be bored, sad and unmotivated.  It’s crazy how untrue that was.  I have more time, money, energy, mental well-being, etc.  I’m taking on and enjoying things that before would’ve felt like an absolute chore. 

I also have to give credit to my supportive partner, friends and family.  If they drank around me like I used to in their presence, this would be a lot harder.  So I truly appreciate their patience with me when I was down bad.  Be kind to yourself and others.

Well done bruh, so good to read this.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #574 on: July 10, 2023, 08:20:20 AM »
What I’ve been doing is reading sober journeys. Especially pro skaters. Guy’s and AVE’s. Spanky. It definitely helps and motivates me. I don’t really have cravings anymore but I know that won’t always be the case. I’m trying not to be complacent. I have a group meeting Thursday it’s a really good group so I at least have that. But I definitely need an individual therapist it is just hard to find one that accepts Medicaid.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #575 on: July 10, 2023, 09:27:38 AM »
had the worst cravings yesterday and decided to hit the gym instead of pacing around... highly recommend

not only does it distract you but one hour doing cardio and breaking a sweat made the rest of my day way more peaceful
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 02:29:25 PM by doublesteveburger »

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #576 on: July 10, 2023, 09:53:08 AM »
Sitting at 4.5 months-ish right now as I didn’t really have an official start date. Was strictly a social drinker other than the occasional glass of wine or cocktail on a date night, but when it was party time I definitely suffered from CEBS (Constantly Empty Beer Syndrome), and would lose track and end up drinking too much and getting terrible sleep and anxiety the next few days. Just didn’t like who I was when I got to that point.

We welcomed our first baby in April, which has absolutely changed my life. I was thinking about giving it up for a while, but the third trimester and first few months of fatherhood have been the perfect catalyst. I just want to be there for every moment, and be ready at a second’s notice, and don’t want to have those experiences dulled in any way, either through alcohol or a hangover.

Still have plenty of anxiety issues to work on in therapy and a whole bunch of stupid party shit I did to feel guilty about forever, but this new step in my life definitely feels like the right one.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #577 on: July 11, 2023, 01:32:45 PM »
was just working a 40,000+ people/per day sort of event that doesn't serve/sell/prohibits alcohol. Mushrooms are legal in Oregon and instead of getting shitty on booze it seemed like at least 1/2 people were eating mushrooms. I'll take people on moderate dosages of boomers all day long. 100K+ people filtering in and out for 5 days with no fights, no cops, etc. Instead we got people hugging, laughing, making art, music, and being all around decent. fuck ya
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #578 on: July 11, 2023, 02:12:05 PM »
was just working a 40,000+ people/per day sort of event that doesn't serve/sell/prohibits alcohol. Mushrooms are legal in Oregon and instead of getting shitty on booze it seemed like at least 1/2 people were eating mushrooms. I'll take people on moderate dosages of boomers all day long. 100K+ people filtering in and out for 5 days with no fights, no cops, etc. Instead we got people hugging, laughing, making art, music, and being all around decent. fuck ya
I have been microdosing more now that I’m sober from weed and alcohol. Obviously shrooms are a drug but they’ve never been enticing to me where I have to do them everyday nor is the high something I love, it’s way too intense for me. But I just eat a little of chocolate shrooms and they tend to bring me a peace of mind and a calmness. Like everything will be ok. Really has helped this recovery process.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #579 on: July 11, 2023, 05:25:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have been microdosing more now that I’m sober from weed and alcohol. Obviously shrooms are a drug but they’ve never been enticing to me where I have to do them everyday nor is the high something I love, it’s way too intense for me. But I just eat a little of chocolate shrooms and they tend to bring me a peace of mind and a calmness. Like everything will be ok. Really has helped this recovery process.

Yep. DMT helped me get off booze 8 yr ago. Ive witnessed a handful of buddies get off the sauce with mushroom microdosing in the past couple years as well. Capsules of .1 are the way. Same thing, every time

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #580 on: July 14, 2023, 04:10:31 PM »
https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/joe-buffalo-a-first-nations-legend-speaks/

Im cross posting this but heres some good words about getting sober

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #581 on: July 14, 2023, 06:48:14 PM »
That sounds like a nightmare. Well, recognizing it is the first step towards success. Keep your head up and get better. We can all only work on ourselves. If you did 2 years, you can do 2 again (and more) if you put your mind to it and perhaps try to tap into the steps that maneuvered you there before. If you're bummed out at the notion of having to cut stuff/ppl out again, take this as a conformation that stuff/ppl are highly overrated. Think about how amped you will be when you see that stuff/those ppl when you have some new sobriety under your belt and you realize you are making the right decision. If the bleeding doesn't stop, soon, please see a doctor.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2023, 07:05:16 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

MC3

• Rep: 129
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #582 on: July 15, 2023, 01:09:35 PM »
I'm starting to think about stopping drinking. I don't know if I consume enough to where it is a legitimate problem, but more and more I think about it and the notion of quitting (if I wanted to) seems harder and harder. Makes me think I'm going in the wrong direction.

Im about to be 25, but I am tired of spending what people tell me some of the best times of my life with headaches, a shitty diet and slight gut, and less money from buying booze. Like I said, I don't think I have a "problem" in the formal sense, and I probably drink far less than some of my friends, but I'm wondering if there is some clarity or presence to be had from cutting it out completely. Would love to hear what y'all think.
(Cool Trick GIF)

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1592
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #583 on: July 15, 2023, 02:47:09 PM »
Oh, and the amount of blood that starting to go from both ends is scary

And most of my adult life I’ve drank during work for sure. It becomes this massive task of always have deodorant, perfume (ck1!) mouthwash, toothpaste, cigarettes, anything to hid it. Like a full time job in itself

Dude, if you seriously have blood being emitted by your body as you described on a consistent basis, you need to make seeing a physician an immediate priority, especially considering that you are using methadone and alcohol together.  Early identification and treatment truly is the difference between life and death. You'd be surprised how early colon cancer can affect people.

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/colorectal-cancer-in-young-people

Hoping the best for you Velcro.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Velcro Wallet

• Rep: 214
« Reply #584 on: July 15, 2023, 03:07:12 PM »
Has anyone read the book “Alcohol lied to me”?

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #585 on: July 15, 2023, 04:44:51 PM »
Can’t even pretend to know what you’re going through, but I basically just want to repeat everything EdLawndale said.  You’re capable of stopping, you can and will feel better when you come out the other side.  Definitely consult and be honest with a doctor asap.  We’re all here and rooting for you <3

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1592
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #586 on: July 15, 2023, 06:35:22 PM »
The thing I hate most about this addiction is the lying. All the little white lies add up and people work it out in the end. Also the money. Atm it’s around $60 a day. I’ve sold most of my Jordan’s, Airmaxs,so much ACG gear and stuff  that took ages to hunt down only to sell them for cheap so I can get money in my hand now.
I stole a bottle of wine this morning. The shops around here don’t open till 7am.

Sorry for spewing all this shit. If it is triggering anyone please tell me to stop. Sorry in advance

No need to be apologetic. Just be fully transparent with your healthcare provider about your current situation so that they can adequately structure intervention by considering all variables. Detoxing alcohol without medical supervision is increasingly complicated as a person's use of alcohol increases. This is further compounded when individuals are taking other substances.

I am glad you get to talk to folks tomorrow. I don't know the intricacies of your country, and I am guessing you are from Australia since you talked about VB beer, but from my perspective as an American, stopping theft is another VERY important goal to reach. In America, when a person gets a record, it has the potential to have a strong negative impact on employment opportunities in the short and long term. Then again, I am an American, and our system is completely fucked. 

"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Bill Salt

« Reply #587 on: July 16, 2023, 02:00:59 AM »
unfortunately, sobritey often comes with sudden religious belief and plastic teeth.

Daewons front truck

• Rep: 30
« Reply #588 on: July 16, 2023, 11:42:05 AM »
I love that I found this thread. I got back to skating after I got sober, of course I was too occupied with coping dope to entertain my past hobby at the time. I was addicted to heroin and alcohol from ages 20-30. I finally had enough after loosing my house, my wife, and most important of all, my self respect. I had been to rehab a couple times In the past two appease my family and friends but I finally got to the point that I was either going to eat a bullet, or find a new way to live. Thankfully I chose the latter option. I went to detox and then I went to an AA meeting. I heard some of their stories and realized that they were just like me. I worked the 12 steps with a sponsor with no expectation of it doing anything but I was wrong. I've been blessed to sponsor someone  in the program and help them through the 12 steps. I have a life I never imagined I could have before. I got a wonderful job helping those with mental health issues. I got my family back and they don't have to worry about finding me dead in the bathroom anymore. I'm not perfect and still fuck up on things all the time, but today I don't have to drink and get high to get through the day. I try to "do the next right thing" now, even if it's extremely difficult to do so. I'm beyond grateful for 2 years and 10 months I've been clean. If anyone that reads this is still struggling, I hope you hit YOUR bottom soon, and I pray it isn't as painful or costly as mine was. I know you won't believe this because I never did when I was using, but you can live a sober life and be HAPPY doing so. -Alexander

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #589 on: July 16, 2023, 12:23:53 PM »
No need to say sorry @Velcro Wallet you can do this. You can get better. You can use this space/thread as a sounding board. I’m 19 days sober today and it is amazing how life can be positive and fun and then sad and hard in the same day but instead of running away from the world and being numb to all of it I can feel it all. I just feel so much more human. I’d love to see you get back to your humanity too. You matter. You’re enough.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #590 on: July 16, 2023, 01:51:47 PM »
Sitting at 4.5 months-ish right now as I didn’t really have an official start date. Was strictly a social drinker other than the occasional glass of wine or cocktail on a date night, but when it was party time I definitely suffered from CEBS (Constantly Empty Beer Syndrome), and would lose track and end up drinking too much and getting terrible sleep and anxiety the next few days. Just didn’t like who I was when I got to that point.

We welcomed our first baby in April, which has absolutely changed my life. I was thinking about giving it up for a while, but the third trimester and first few months of fatherhood have been the perfect catalyst. I just want to be there for every moment, and be ready at a second’s notice, and don’t want to have those experiences dulled in any way, either through alcohol or a hangover.

Still have plenty of anxiety issues to work on in therapy and a whole bunch of stupid party shit I did to feel guilty about forever, but this new step in my life definitely feels like the right one.

Congratulations!

I have an 18 months old. At first I stopped getting drunk for the exact same reasons you wrote about, plus, I felt that the newborn was so fragile and I didn't want to do anything stupid after I had had a few drinks.

Now I will have a few drinks when I go out (which doesn't happen often anymore). But: Being hungover and taking care of a toddler doesn't mix for me at all. It's the worst. It gets to be super annoying and stressful. So the only time when I will have more then two drinks now is when I have the following day for myself. This only happens in the rare case, when my wife and son visit her mother for the weekend.
It's been good, but sometimes I do miss being stupid and drinking too much without these immediate consequences.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2023, 02:13:57 PM »
I’m on day 14 of no booze. Spent 8 days abroad and was drinking at least 3 beers/ drinks a day, with a couple of nights I went harder. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety throughout my but noticed, over the last year or so, drinking was exacerbating it far more than before. I’m hoping to ride this out through the rest of the year and get my mental/ physical health in a good and balanced place

Post Alone

« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2023, 02:36:22 PM »
I’m on day 14 of no booze. Spent 8 days abroad and was drinking at least 3 beers/ drinks a day, with a couple of nights I went harder. I’ve struggled with depression and anxiety throughout my but noticed, over the last year or so, drinking was exacerbating it far more than before. I’m hoping to ride this out through the rest of the year and get my mental/ physical health in a good and balanced place

You got this 💪
I struggled/struggle with depression and anxiety and quitting drinking was one of the greatest decisions I’ve made. It’s helps make those things a little more manageable.
Either way, hope you find what’s best.

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #593 on: July 16, 2023, 05:38:16 PM »
I know my drinking and drug problems come from childhood stuff. Does anyone else feel the same? But then again my father and his family were 90% alcoholics and my mothers side suffered from major depression and suicide.
The only thing my dad taught me was how to take a punch to the face. But that made me so scared of confrontation. I remember coming home from getting my ass beat up and my dad calling me a pussy.
Not until my 20’s where I thought it was normal to get blind drunk and fight every other night. Being 6’3 and 110Kgs helped but I still felt like a pussy.

Again, my bad. Props to you guys that are sober and I’m here talking shit about myself being selfish. But it’s shit I never have really told anyone.

Velcro Wallet

« Reply #594 on: July 16, 2023, 06:14:26 PM »
Actually, SUPER MEGA PROPS to those who even have 24 hours!!!!!!

I wish you peeps so much strength and health.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 458
« Reply #595 on: July 17, 2023, 04:17:23 AM »
I'll never get there. I've tried a few times. Usually, I couldn't even look at this thread after every imminent failure. Maybe I'm not ready or something. I don't know. It kinda feels like I'm finally over smoking weed though after 20-some years. But alcohol is so much worse that it doesn't even feel like that's progress and more like a step backwards into self-destruction.

lightnet

« Reply #596 on: July 17, 2023, 08:21:59 AM »
Im still stuck in the depressed phase after getting sober. I find no enjoyment in life, mixed with no friends and a non existent life it really sucks.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #597 on: July 17, 2023, 09:35:31 AM »
I'll never get there. I've tried a few times. Usually, I couldn't even look at this thread after every imminent failure. Maybe I'm not ready or something. I don't know. It kinda feels like I'm finally over smoking weed though after 20-some years. But alcohol is so much worse that it doesn't even feel like that's progress and more like a step backwards into self-destruction.

You’re ready in the sense you’re admitting that there is a concern. Have you gone to an AA meeting? Have you looked into a Therapist? I get that you’re down at the moment but please know you admitting that it’s hard & your trying is a good thing.

Mass Love

Idk

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #598 on: July 17, 2023, 09:44:14 AM »
With the amount of people that go on this thread we could do our own video meeting kinda like smart recovery? You don’t even have to be sober it’s more for if you’re considering sobriety or are currently sober.

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #599 on: July 17, 2023, 10:36:41 AM »
With the amount of people that go on this thread we could do our own video meeting kinda like smart recovery? You don’t even have to be sober it’s more for if you’re considering sobriety or are currently sober.

like the idea!
fun fun fun