Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 48646 times)

LUGR and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Abyss1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #780 on: January 10, 2024, 08:57:32 AM »
What worked for fixing me going to bed early was to wake up early around 4 or 5am.  I usually sit around with some coffee or meditate, and if I feel up to it will get a workout going.   By 8am Im working and by the time 7-8pm rolls around I start to feel pretty worn out.

For the Pals that have gym memberships with a dry and wet sauna, i'd recommend this at least 1-2x a week.  Been super helpful with my anxiety

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #781 on: January 10, 2024, 09:18:20 AM »
@Abyss1 i like that tip a lot. you get up at 4-5 you going to not have problems going to sleep. my current goal is 5:30. i also find that i really love mornings, probably my favorite part of the day. walk at sunrise always feels so good.

Monolithic Flick

• Rep: 3
« Reply #782 on: January 14, 2024, 08:54:01 AM »
32 days no alcohol today.  As a moderate drinker I have still been pretty amazed at the positive effects.  Better sleep, vivid dreams, more energy, lasting longer skating, e.t.c.  Haven’t really lost weight but I was not overweight to begin with.  There are other things only my wife notices but apparently I am “more of a man” as well.

I started this mainly to support my brother and I have done Dry January before.  But now I am in a new longest streak of my adult life without a beer or two.    My brother has re-started twice but is on day 14 so I’m happy for him.  Anyway hang in there all of you.  Sobriety feels like a super power and  think I am going to stick with it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 11:59:48 AM by Monolithic Flick »

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #783 on: January 14, 2024, 01:55:50 PM »
Tomorrow will be 2 weeks for me. Really no complaints. Grateful for how it’s been so far. I’ve had a few brief hankerings for things like going to a nice cocktail bar and trying a bunch of new drinks, or sitting at a dive bar doing beer/shot combos and bonding with random fellow boozehounds, but I mostly miss the ritual and the novelty of trying new things and places - I’m sure I’ll eventually find plenty of new things that will give me that sans booze. The thought of being even mildly hungover now is super off putting.

Also found some low dose 1:5 thc:cbd gummies that have hit the spot for me when I want a little alteration without losing a grip on things. Pure giggles and munchies but I can still hold a conversation. Reminds me of what weed was for me when I was 18 and carefree.

Also grateful that my best friend who is also an alcoholic and doing dry January with me is doing well so far too.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #784 on: January 16, 2024, 06:57:02 AM »
@Monolithic Flick nice man! i heard someone say quitting drinking is a cheat code for life and that really resonated with me.

@nocomply way to go man!

i had a dinner at a steak house that only had odouls. i drink 4 and felt tired the next day. pretty funny how far i've come. i'm guessing if i drink a burbon home pour at this point it'd destroy me for days.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #785 on: January 16, 2024, 10:47:11 AM »
^nice man, I’m looking forward to trying more of the NA beers out there. Seems like there’s new ones every day

Monolithic Flick

« Reply #786 on: January 16, 2024, 11:57:57 AM »
@Sleazy...thank you sir.  That's indeed a good way to put it. Things absolutely feel like I'm playing with a cheat code these days.  And good story on the O'Doul's.  As a beer drinker I was into more craft beers.  I have noticed with NA beers I prefer the ones that are basically just NA of beers that didn't have that much alcohol to begin with.  Seems they come closer imo.  I enjoyed an NA guiness a while back and this weekend I had a few NA Corona's.

I have read that NA Beers can be trouble for some who struggle with alcholo due to the fact that it could tempt back to the real beers.  If so, I apologize to anyone who is struggling out there.  I do overall just prefer sparkling water.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #787 on: January 16, 2024, 06:59:37 PM »
Keep it up, gents. I’m 1.5 years in & it just gets better. Dreaming is cool, sleep is nice, not having anxiety is great. Just remind yourself of the worse version of yourself when drinking & I guarantee you you’ll at least think more than once about having a drink.

I wish you all well.

dope boy harlem

• Rep: -6
« Reply #788 on: January 16, 2024, 07:05:54 PM »
we drank + kill foolz
u kno da rulez
drug$ = l.i.f.e.
only in if ur cooL

hmmoookay

• Rep: 70
  • content nausea
« Reply #789 on: January 17, 2024, 10:52:41 AM »
^ you alright?

_____

I'm almost a week of caffeine. Doing it more for digestive health purposes but also the past few months I've found myself way too dependent on caffeine and I'm kind of sick of it. Switched to decaf and it's been alright so far. My sleep is better for sure. The first two days were hell though. Not like alcohol withdrawals, that is its own fun fucked up time, but definitely not anything I feel like going through again. I've added it to my sobriety tracker for motivation and to keep track but I don't plan on leaving caffeine behind forever, just a bit of a reset. Maybe not. We'll see where it goes and how I feel in a month or so.

Happy to see so much success over the holiday season now that that's done. As always dm's open if anyone ever needs to talk!

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #790 on: January 19, 2024, 07:04:35 AM »
^caffeine is a tough one to quit depending on your habit. I cold turkeyed off of 1-1.5 grams/day between coffee and energy drinks 6 years ago and the first week was hell. Headaches, exhausted, etc. but my gut definitely thanked me for it

After 5 weeks without it I had a coffee with a double shot of espresso in it and was legitimately high

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #791 on: January 21, 2024, 06:32:40 PM »
^caffeine is a tough one to quit depending on your habit. I cold turkeyed off of 1-1.5 grams/day between coffee and energy drinks 6 years ago and the first week was hell. Headaches, exhausted, etc. but my gut definitely thanked me for it

After 5 weeks without it I had a coffee with a double shot of espresso in it and was legitimately high

Yeah it's been interesting. I definitely still have a lack of energy at certain points throughout the day but I believe that things will even out eventually. Honestly, with the way I've been feeling as far as gut health is concerned, I do think I'll continue this more long term or at the very least be much more conscious of my caffeine intake should I decide to reintroduce it. It's been that worth it even in this short period of time.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 78
« Reply #792 on: January 21, 2024, 09:18:26 PM »
I am inspired by reading everyone's booze free journeys.
Like most of you posting in this thread, I've had a long and very unhealthy relationship with alcohol almost my entire life.

I have been trying to cut drinking out completely from my life, but it's so hard. It's everywhere, and I have such terrible willpower when it comes to booze. It's always like, hey one won't hurt, but then the second it touches my lips... it just escalates and always turns into more and then I feel like shit the next day.

I've had four drinks since Christmas, and this past Christmas was the one where I've drank the least amount in as long as I can remember.  The only four were because I was hanging out with my neighbour's shop two weeks ago and he offered beer. I always thought it was rude to refuse beer, but no one gives a shit if you do. Old habits for hard I guess. So four drinks in almost a month is pretty good.

I've been drinking some different craft brewed non alcoholic beers to kill the craving. They're not the same, but I guess it's working, I don't know.  I crushed a case of bubbly water in a day once, trying to kill the craving, just to have something in my hand.

I just need to keep looking forward. It's for future me and my family.
I think back to all the terrible things I've done, and terrible ways I've treated other people, and myself because of drinking... it's honestly so embarrassing

My daughter doesn't need a boozer dad.
The way the healthcare system is falling apart up here, I've got to stay healthy as I can as a get older.
The booze was always also a self medication for the mental issues I was always battling, but I've been working on that with professionals and the booze just makes it worse.

thanks for listening. Throw me some reassurance,  or words of wisdom or something. It will help.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 09:25:13 PM by Ankle_Lift »

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #793 on: January 22, 2024, 11:51:37 AM »
^you got this man. You and your daughter will both benefit a ton from you being off the sauce, hope that reality comes true for you.

I’m in an interesting place where I’m not craving booze specifically, but my body is absolutely craving random shit to fill the absence booze left. I’m eating much more frequently, drinking a lot more water/non alcohol drinks, going for tons of walks every day.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #794 on: January 22, 2024, 12:14:52 PM »
Like most of you posting in this thread, I've had a long and very unhealthy relationship with alcohol almost my entire life.

I have been trying to cut drinking out completely from my life, but it's so hard. It's everywhere, and I have such terrible willpower when it comes to booze. It's always like, hey one won't hurt, but then the second it touches my lips... it just escalates and always turns into more and then I feel like shit the next day.

I've had four drinks since Christmas, and this past Christmas was the one where I've drank the least amount in as long as I can remember.  The only four were because I was hanging out with my neighbour's shop two weeks ago and he offered beer. I always thought it was rude to refuse beer, but no one gives a shit if you do. Old habits for hard I guess. So four drinks in almost a month is pretty good.

I've been drinking some different craft brewed non alcoholic beers to kill the craving. They're not the same, but I guess it's working, I don't know.  I crushed a case of bubbly water in a day once, trying to kill the craving, just to have something in my hand.

I think back to all the terrible things I've done, and terrible ways I've treated other people, and myself because of drinking... it's honestly so embarrassing

The way the healthcare system is falling apart up here, I've got to stay healthy as I can as a get older.
The booze was always also a self medication for the mental issues I was always battling, but I've been working on that with professionals and the booze just makes it worse.

thanks for listening. Throw me some reassurance,  or words of wisdom or something. It will help.

Dude that sums it up. 
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #795 on: January 22, 2024, 08:11:02 PM »

That’s a really good start! You are on your way to redefining your habits. Do what you need to do to keep it going and stay motivated. I def enjoy me some no sodium, unsweetened bubbly water. Sometimes I’ll just pop in this thread or a similar thread on another forum and just read some posts to refocus myself when I catch my mind wandering. It really seems to help. Use this thread as a resource and outlet.

Oh yeah, it’s always okay to refuse someone offering you booze. If they take offense, that’s really weird.

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #796 on: January 23, 2024, 06:41:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That’s a really good start! You are on your way to redefining your habits. Do what you need to do to keep it going and stay motivated. I def enjoy me some no sodium, unsweetened bubbly water. Sometimes I’ll just pop in this thread or a similar thread on another forum and just read some posts to refocus myself when I catch my mind wandering. It really seems to help. Use this thread as a resource and outlet.

Oh yeah, it’s always okay to refuse someone offering you booze. If they take offense, that’s really weird.

In my almost 2 years (coming up soon! but who's counting. me, I'm counting lol) I've only had a couple of instances where someone gets offended or weirded out. I often chalk it up to the fact that perhaps the last time the person had seen me, I would have taken the drink and asked for more. I really became a recluse during that last bit of drinking so if an offense is taken or someone is really taken aback I try not to blame them. It's my problem not theirs. And that's a really important thing to remember. You're ultimately doing this for yourself and you've gotta put you above all else (and your kids too @ankle_lift, I dont have kids so I imagine that definitely factors in somewhere for sure)

Funny enough I have friends that will still apologize for drinking around me on the occasions that happens. It used to really annoy me but now I look at it as that maybe they want to respect my space and ultimately I should do the same for them. Balance.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2024, 10:28:10 AM by hmmoookay »

Monolithic Flick

« Reply #797 on: January 23, 2024, 10:20:29 AM »

You have already taken huge steps.  You have the right reasons in mind, and you absolutely got this.  I had some pretty intense sugar cravings during some of this, and I mainly gave into them.  My thinking is "beat one thing at at time."  Beat the drinking first, enjoy the benefits of that, and work on the sugar later is my mindset.  I feel the same about sparkling water--they overcharge for that shit now, but it still is waaaay cheaper than craft beer where I am at.  So I drink as many of those as I want.  And your health is going to surprise you on this.  It really is.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 9
  • fresh
« Reply #798 on: January 23, 2024, 11:48:16 AM »
2 minutes no nic im geekin'
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 78
« Reply #799 on: January 23, 2024, 05:16:36 PM »
Thank you for all the kind words, my dudes.

I don't know any of you, but I appreciate it. I really do.

It's... I don't know, kind of comforting I guess to see that there are other regular dudes like myself struggling with the same thing and the same emotions and issues  involving booze, and you're all going through it, but also succeeding at it.

At my weakest points in my life I have turned to booze, but that's the past, you know? Life is so much better now, and it's like an old habit that is hard to ditch.

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
« Reply #800 on: January 23, 2024, 05:21:55 PM »
Doing dry January
Let’s just say I’ve been playing a lot of video games

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #801 on: January 23, 2024, 07:27:30 PM »
@Ankle_Lift thanks for sharing and way to go man. can't get a better reason to do something than for your kids

LUGR

• Rep: 47
« Reply #802 on: January 23, 2024, 10:14:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You have already taken huge steps.  You have the right reasons in mind, and you absolutely got this.  I had some pretty intense sugar cravings during some of this, and I mainly gave into them.  My thinking is "beat one thing at at time."  Beat the drinking first, enjoy the benefits of that, and work on the sugar later is my mindset.  I feel the same about sparkling water--they overcharge for that shit now, but it still is waaaay cheaper than craft beer where I am at.  So I drink as many of those as I want.  And your health is going to surprise you on this.  It really is.

Beating one thing at a time is good advice and way to look at things. This can’t be rushed…..give yourself time bc it takes time. Think about how much time you spent building your habit to get to that point you wanted to stop. Just slow and steady focus to redefine your habits and how you live your life.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #803 on: January 23, 2024, 10:31:46 PM »
Thank you for all the kind words, my dudes.

I don't know any of you, but I appreciate it. I really do.

It's... I don't know, kind of comforting I guess to see that there are other regular dudes like myself struggling with the same thing and the same emotions and issues  involving booze, and you're all going through it, but also succeeding at it.

At my weakest points in my life I have turned to booze, but that's the past, you know? Life is so much better now, and it's like an old habit that is hard to ditch.

I echo the sentiments that it sounds like you are making a great effort here. It's not easy but try to keep it up, Ankle_Lift, as there will likely be a time in the not-so-distant future where the urge isn't as appealing or hard to resist, even when your emotions get tested. Props on taking some new steps to feel more healthy.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #804 on: January 24, 2024, 06:03:44 AM »
Yooo, proud of all you homies giving it a shot and/or maintaining.  The rewards are endless, and I hope you all get to continuously enjoy life with fresh eyes and feeling.

9.5 months here, and again I owe 100% of the thanks and credit to my amazing partner who’s stuck by me through dark times, and encouraged/supported me throughout my sobriety journey.

The thing is, I feel guilty for having zero interest in my other friendships anymore.  To be fair, most of my friends are also grown up, have busy lives, etc.. But even reaching out to my lifelong friends feels somewhat triggering, because every friend I’ve ever had, we bonded over substances. 

It’s not that I’m worried about slipping.. it’s more this feeling of “I’ve got my partner, my cats, and myself.. and that’s all I need to be happy”.  I just can’t help but feel like this is an unhealthy way of thinking, and I should put more effort into my friend and family relationships.  I just don’t don’t feel like it? 

Has anyone else gone through this?  Have you found a way to become more social without it being dreadful?  Or found a way to justify your introvertedness?

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #805 on: January 24, 2024, 11:15:09 AM »
^i can kind of relate in that without alcohol the scope of things I’m interested in/want to do/even tolerate has narrowed significantly. I’m only a few weeks in so where I’m at I’m just giving myself grace with that - sobriety is important enough to me that I’m willing to say no/not invest in certain things or people and I’ve accepted that the consequences of that will be whatever they are.

I don’t have an answer for you but I think you’ll figure something out and congrats on 9.5 months!

ralf_

• Rep: -36
  • yo
« Reply #806 on: January 24, 2024, 12:50:07 PM »
for me to reach out to friends (most of my close friends life relatively long distances away) i have to need their expertise. so bonding over shared nerdery / wanting to know something specific. for me that's a nice way to stay connected without the randomness of all the "hey how you doing havent heard in a while" thing. the friends i have where i live it's kinda similiar: if i can help them with something specific i am mostly happy too, but i am usually the first one to call it a night etc.
fun fun fun

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #807 on: January 24, 2024, 02:29:41 PM »
i definitely find things boring that i used to like doing. friends isn't one of them for me because i deprioritized friendships a long time ago when my wife and i got serious. i knew something had to go and i wasn't about to stop skating so smoking weed and playing video games with friends was an easy target. so my friends now are people who happen to be at the same place as me (skatepark, business networking event, etc.).

on the flip side, i find i enjoy hanging out the pool way less, grilling is not as fun as it used to be and i really can't be bothered eating out in fancy slow places anymore. i actually don't mind happy hours because i drink a few NAs, float around talking to different people and move on if i get bored till i'm over it and leave.

my wife and i had a really hard time figuring out valentines day too. last year was so boring. we were both not drinking, we spend so much time together and we were in this slow, boring place just staring at the walls. this year we are going to go for a dog park, coffee shop, lunch kind of flow.

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #808 on: January 24, 2024, 07:19:12 PM »
I think it's okay to be selective with your friendships as you continue your sober journey, even if those friendships were not dependent on drugs or alcohol. Personally, I have a limit when it comes to social time that I realized I was just suppressing with alcohol, and I don't even mean the actual time spent in person with people. A text conversation, phone conversation, doesn't matter. I now know when I've gotta exit regardless of the situation and that's okay, whereas the people pleaser in me used to take over as the booze continued to flow. I'm still working on the people pleaser aspect of my personality but its a lot easier to deal with now sober and I think my friendships, even if not as "important" now, have gotten better because of it. My conversations and interactions are more genuine, I think people pick up on that for sure.

Boundaries are a great thing to recognize. Gotta protect the mental.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #809 on: January 25, 2024, 09:44:21 AM »
NA’s, records, candy, wrestling, everything. Recently was at a party & only two people were drinking but it was light. Had a blast.

Almost two years of no beer! Doctor commended me today when I treated myself to a physical for my birthday. That felt good.