Author Topic: SOBRIETY  (Read 48698 times)

hmmoookay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
  • content nausea
Re: SOBRIETY
« Reply #840 on: February 05, 2024, 04:09:16 PM »
Expand Quote

The only thing I can add to the weed discussion is that last year I did try using very low dose thc/cbd edibles for sleep as I was going through some sleep problems and that seemed like a safe, natural solution.

[close]

I'd you're having trouble sleeping but want something natural try Valerian root.
I've used it, it actually works, but one of the side effects of it is possible nightmares.
I had a night after taking some where I legitimately had night terrors, like literally screaming while I was sleeping until my wife woke me up.

Appreciate the suggestion! I'll give that a go if I start having issues again but coincidentally the quitting caffeine things has helped a lot with my sleep in addition to some sleepytime tea before I actually lay down to go to sleep. But I think the big thing has been not being overstimulated whereas previously I was drinking some form of caffeine sometimes into the evening depending on the day.

Also, I really resonate with what you said in your other post about the numbing effect of alcohol as I'm sure a lot of people do. While I don't necessarily get cravings these days, that is one of the things I have found myself having to talk myself down from before, especially after a particularly stressful day or situation; the desire to just completely shut off and shut myself out from the world, even if for a bit. But then I play that tape forward and remember where it will get me, so for another day I choose not to be that person again.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #841 on: February 05, 2024, 05:52:40 PM »
I get everyone is different and not trying to discount anyone's experiences. That said, I did take a class that taught me that one's reactions to and experiences with all substances, marijuana included, is related to one's "set and setting". In other words, there are variables that can change the experience each individual time you do it.

For me, sometimes I smoke weed and get very anxiety-ridden/paranoid, other times it's a very enjoyable experience. I can't really find a pattern or through line, except for maybe my built-up tolerance level or taking care of things to worry about beforehand, as sometimes each sort of experience happens regardless of where I am or who I'm with.

I recently started smoking much less, and partook with someone for the first time in months on Thanksgiving. He had a toddler staying in the house with us. And almost as soon as I smoked even a small amount, I began to trip hard on where I left my medication and if it was in place that the toddler could reach. Had he gone into my room when I wasn't there? Did he already find it and accidentally ingest it? Do I know where it is? I went upstairs to my room and searched my luggage for the pills (some were in a child-proof container, but I had others in just a plastic bag). Once I accounted for my pills, I put them all the way at the bottom of a zipped backpack. That seem to alleviate that concern.

While searching for my pills, I noticed the Air B&B had many roach traps under the beds. Then that became a thing to me that had to be immediately dealt with. I had to inform my friend that the roach traps were there, in case it was a threat of ingestion or contact to his son. My friend's wife was pregnant with their second child and ended up having a miscarriage that night in the Air B&B but I googled it and it likely had nothing to do with the insect traps.

But I was tripping.

Other times, I've smoked a bowl and gone to Costco or the farmer's market and been on cloud 9.

But it definitely can be a crapshoot as to what sort of time you are going to have.

Yeah, I always felt like weed enhanced whatever was already there in my mind, booze (painkillers, benzos too but I never had a problem with either of those) just numbed everything temporarily.

That night in the air bnb sounds brutal. I would’ve been a mess.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

type

• Rep: -51
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #842 on: February 05, 2024, 06:39:18 PM »
The whole 10 years I was addicted to drugs I used the darknet I never had a real life dealer, I wonder if I ever bought from even hernandez crew

Ill tell you this I got addicted to every drug, I used up to 5 drugs a day to keep me going but what took me out was meth

meth is crazy, I managed 10 years on benzos, amphetamines, and opiates and it only took 6 months of meth to complety ruin me

That shit had to ruin me for me for me to get sober though

Meth really kicked my ass

I still dream about it every time I dream, meth, heroin, rc's, all kinds of crazy fent and benzo pills

That shit was my life, now I have no life I have to rebuild it

Shit sucks I landed on my ass in my 30s with nothing

Dont mind me Im just talking into the abyss
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 06:57:19 PM by type »
I’m stuck in Fresno rn. behind that circle k across from Wendy’s

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 717
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #843 on: February 05, 2024, 07:18:43 PM »
To the college freshman homie from last page - I promise you this, and I think anyone who has dabbled in being of or on the wagon would agree with me: substances and booze will not cure your depression or your anxiety. In fact… in a lot of cases it’s very much the opposite. I was so fucking anxious for years and blamed everything but the booze I was drinking every single night on an empty stomach. And so I’d drink to rid myself of the anxiety and start it all over again.

I promise you that your mental health issues will not get worse in the long run when it comes to sobriety.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

type

« Reply #844 on: February 06, 2024, 04:17:32 PM »
My doctor added gabapentin to my meds and it has helped my mood alot, they wont give me benzos, which is what I was self medicating with. I actually went out to the garage and did a few kickflips I was feeling so good.

Hopefully this puts me on a better path, Im already thinking about ditching disability and getting a job, but man that disability money seems sweet. I havent heard any voices in months and my paranoia and delusions have been minor.

Im just 10 months in to my new life and im super lost as to what to do.

I know the answer is stop being a bitch but damn, im kinda fucked up over here

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #845 on: February 06, 2024, 08:43:10 PM »
I just started gaba too, but for my chronic pain. One of my goals in sobriety is to be able to skate at least a little again.

I told my family about quitting drinking recently and it was well received. Feeling ok so far.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #846 on: February 07, 2024, 01:09:42 AM »
My doctor added gabapentin to my meds and it has helped my mood alot, they wont give me benzos, which is what I was self medicating with. I actually went out to the garage and did a few kickflips I was feeling so good.

Hopefully this puts me on a better path, Im already thinking about ditching disability and getting a job, but man that disability money seems sweet. I havent heard any voices in months and my paranoia and delusions have been minor.

Im just 10 months in to my new life and im super lost as to what to do.

I know the answer is stop being a bitch but damn, im kinda fucked up over here

I'm stoked for the kickflips. That must have felt awesome. Maybe look for some small jobs if you want to stay busy. Something where you can work like 4 hours a day. I think your mind and body need time to get used to your new life. The weather will get better soon too, depending on where you live. Maybe it will help you, if you write a list with your goals. Small goals first. What do you want to do in the next weeks, months, in a year.
Anyway, if you feel like talking, DM me. But stoked for you.
IG: @flowterspace

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #847 on: February 07, 2024, 05:57:26 AM »
I just started gaba too, but for my chronic pain. One of my goals in sobriety is to be able to skate at least a little again.

I told my family about quitting drinking recently and it was well received. Feeling ok so far.

Fuck yeah! Stoked for you, what a great feeling that was for myself as well. I'm glad they're on your side!

700 Days today pals, right at the cusp of two years. Grateful. As always thankful for the people and stories shared in this thread. Keep going!

type

« Reply #848 on: February 07, 2024, 06:00:20 AM »
Choices are so important, if I had held on to all the bitcoin I spent on drugs with an investment mindset I would be a multi millionaire right now. Ill never have another opportunity like that again, but moving forward I just hope we can all make the best choices for ourselves in sobriety. Our choices are all we have.

Now if I could quit vaping...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 06:32:32 AM by type »

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #849 on: February 07, 2024, 07:06:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fuck yeah! Stoked for you, what a great feeling that was for myself as well. I'm glad they're on your side!

700 Days today pals, right at the cusp of two years. Grateful. As always thankful for the people and stories shared in this thread. Keep going!
thanks homie!! 700 is huge. Next Monday will be 6 weeks - haven’t gone that long without booze in almost 15 years. Every time I’ve quit before I fail before the 6 week mark. Not a doubt in my mind I’ll get it this time.

Type - I have some close friends who spent bitcoin back in the day on dumb shit - synthetic cannabinoids, random stupid dark web crap. Hindsight eh

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #850 on: February 08, 2024, 07:13:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
thanks homie!! 700 is huge. Next Monday will be 6 weeks - haven’t gone that long without booze in almost 15 years. Every time I’ve quit before I fail before the 6 week mark. Not a doubt in my mind I’ll get it this time.

Type - I have some close friends who spent bitcoin back in the day on dumb shit - synthetic cannabinoids, random stupid dark web crap. Hindsight eh

Thank you! You got this! 6 weeks is amazing. And yeah re: Type, hindsight is definitely a bitch but it's hard to ignore sometimes and I get that it can make you feel the way you are. Just gotta try and look towards the future. I was just having a conversation about that with a friend who opened up to me about their issues with alcohol and that was kind of his hangup, worrying about what could have been but also worrying about the future as well. It all kinda sucks sometimes but I guess I just try and trust the process. Stay up G.

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
« Reply #851 on: February 08, 2024, 04:07:21 PM »
Been feeling kind of squirrelly and having some booze thoughts lately. Wanted to speak (type?) the truth of it rather than keep it bottled in. Encouraging and inspiring to see everyone finding new freedom away from a drink. To those struggling, I feel you right now!

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #852 on: February 10, 2024, 09:57:54 PM »
Been feeling kind of squirrelly and having some booze thoughts lately. Wanted to speak (type?) the truth of it rather than keep it bottled in. Encouraging and inspiring to see everyone finding new freedom away from a drink. To those struggling, I feel you right now!
keep your head up homie. You got this. Shit can be tough though I feel you.

Ineed to start saying no more to social things. I’m doing ok not feeling tempted but boy am I drained. Just want to check out and play video games all day.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #853 on: February 10, 2024, 10:06:01 PM »
I have cut off most social events but yesterday I went to see the GZA. Club was full of old heads getting drunk. Not only was I not tempted but I found it repulsive to see how they turned into blabbering idiots as the time moved on. Also most of them looked hella unhealthy. Maybe I am really over it. Might as well after five years off the sauce.

Anyway, hang in there bros, being sober may be tough but being an alkie is much worse in the long run.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #854 on: February 11, 2024, 07:51:50 AM »
I saw GZA like 5 years ago and he killed it.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #855 on: February 11, 2024, 08:50:37 AM »
I saw GZA like 5 years ago and he killed it.

GZA brought the goods and played mostly Liquid Swords and a few Wu classics but he was with a live band which somehow messed with the overall experience. I would have preferred to just hear him rap over the original RZA instrumentals. ODBs older brother was on drums tho. Anyhow, sorry for the off topic.
why come?

type

« Reply #856 on: February 11, 2024, 09:18:43 AM »
Had a dream last night I was trying to smoke meth out of a smartphone, then in another phase this teacher lady was trying to fuck me but I was doing everything to get her off my tail so I could keep smoking meth out of this phone.

Heres the thing I always hated meth, its just I got so addicted to it now it torments me in my sleep. I remember crying hitting the pipe because I didnt want to but the addiction was just too strong.

I cant lie though, I do like the xanax and opiod dreams, im kinda glad im able to still get high off those in my sleep.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • tiger style
« Reply #857 on: February 11, 2024, 09:49:26 AM »
I have cut off most social events but yesterday I went to see the GZA. Club was full of old heads getting drunk. Not only was I not tempted but I found it repulsive to see how they turned into blabbering idiots as the time moved on. Also most of them looked hella unhealthy. Maybe I am really over it. Might as well after five years off the sauce.

Anyway, hang in there bros, being sober may be tough but being an alkie is much worse in the long run.

I feel you on that one. I took my daughter to see Angel maker at this park called Empire room in Austin. The show got rain delayed and we ended up hanging out in the bar and just looking at all the locals. I was texting my wife and saying these people are clearly not living very healthy. I’m only seven months in and I look at things way differently.

@mfweeno

What situations are getting you to feel a little Squirrley?

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #858 on: February 11, 2024, 10:01:29 AM »

I go to shows and places where people drink and I’m grossed out now. Maybe it’s wrong to judge people but yeah some look out of shape and sad. Pointless conversations they will forget. Seeking socialization in an isolated world, sad that drinking booze is one of the ways adults can meet other adults.

I always think about that Jason Adams interview where he says you don’t have to go into an environment you don't want to be. Exiting drinking circles will initially be lonely but I’ve met more skaters and people that like other shit. Slow process.

Our society is fucked up and I think about SOMA from brave new world. Normalized drug to blunt our thoughts and emotions to deal with this shitty world. Like how casual it is to say “I need a drink!” And how acceptable that phrase is. Booze is so ingrained in our culture to suppress our emotions.

I’ve cut booze back a lot in my life,  no more casual drinks to “wind down” in the evenings and I’m eating whole foods and being active. My job now has a lot of people that rely on me to be sharp so I’ve cut back a lot. I would rather be present now in my life. Alcohol and weed disrupt sleep cycles and actual rest. This thread is inspiring. Seems like addiction is pretty normal and good for everyone here to be honest with themselves and each other.

nothing's been the since same

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #859 on: February 11, 2024, 10:16:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I go to shows and places where people drink and I’m grossed out now. Maybe it’s wrong to judge people but yeah some look out of shape and sad. Pointless conversations they will forget. Seeking socialization in an isolated world, sad that drinking booze is one of the ways adults can meet other adults.

I always think about that Jason Adams interview where he says you don’t have to go into an environment you don't want to be. Exiting drinking circles will initially be lonely but I’ve met more skaters and people that like other shit. Slow process.

Our society is fucked up and I think about SOMA from brave new world. Normalized drug to blunt our thoughts and emotions to deal with this shitty world. Like how casual it is to say “I need a drink!” And how acceptable that phrase is. Booze is so ingrained in our culture to suppress our emotions.

I’ve cut booze back a lot in my life,  no more casual drinks to “wind down” in the evenings and I’m eating whole foods and being active. My job now has a lot of people that rely on me to be sharp so I’ve cut back a lot. I would rather be present now in my life. Alcohol and weed disrupt sleep cycles and actual rest. This thread is inspiring. Seems like addiction is pretty normal and good for everyone here to be honest with themselves and each other.

Very well put!

I'm 2.5 years on my journey, and lost (still friends, but seems like in passing) a few really good friends that just haven't slowed down. And I'm ok with that. A couple have gotten DWI's, and still haven't stopped drinking.

In those 2.5 years, I've made some really good, and healthy new friends that share the same mindset as myself. That has been huge, and has just reassured me that cutting booze out of my life was worth it in so many ways.

I went to a DJ Shadow show with a life long friend who most definitely has a drinking problem. He had about 6 drinks before the show, and kept bumping into this dude, and the dude got pissed. I had to remind them they're at a sold out concert and to chill the fuck out. Both were drunk and acting the fool. Made me feel great :)

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #860 on: February 11, 2024, 11:40:22 AM »
Yeah I’m already noticing my friends and family getting sloppy around me a few hours into hangs where booze is there. Mostly been funny things so far, but I’m sure it’ll get sad eventually.

For me I’m struggling with how booze allowed me to make anything tolerable - I said yes to things, was ok doing things I didn’t really feel like doing because I knew I could just be drunk.

Without them, I have a much much shorter list of things I enjoy (for now).

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: February 11, 2024, 11:53:59 AM »
Yeah I’m already noticing my friends and family getting sloppy around me a few hours into hangs where booze is there. Mostly been funny things so far, but I’m sure it’ll get sad eventually.

For me I’m struggling with how booze allowed me to make anything tolerable - I said yes to things, was ok doing things I didn’t really feel like doing because I knew I could just be drunk.

Have you tried going on walks, running, exercising a.k.a. stuff you typically don‘t do when hungover?

Also: Read, write, paint, sing, play an instrument, play chess.

You can also cook, make yourself delicious and/or healthy food, check out some teas or coffees (I dabble with herbal teas, yerba mate, green tea, matcha currently).

Listen to music, podcasts.

Get a project car, work on it, clean it, drive around (it gets you anywhere and you never have to worry about drunk driving).

Go to places you never visited, historic sites, nice landscapes, take pictures and work on them back home.

Just some stuff I do that comes to mind.

why come?

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #862 on: February 11, 2024, 12:06:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Have you tried going on walks, running, exercising a.k.a. stuff you typically don‘t do when hungover?

You can also cook, make yourself delicious and/or healthy food, check out some teas or coffees (I dabble with herbal teas, yerba mate, green tea, matcha currently).

Get a project car, work on it, clean it, drive around (it gets you anywhere and you never have to worry about drunk driving).

Go to places you never visited, historic sites, nice landscapes, take pictures and work on them back home.

appreciate the suggestions! I’m heavy on the workouts, walks with headphones on, and reading. I’m pretty happy on the hobby front. I’m having a tough time recalibrating my socialization mechanisms/tolerance. My partner is super outgoing and extroverted and I’m figuring out how to manage that. It’s tough but I’m sure gets easier with time.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #863 on: February 11, 2024, 12:35:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
appreciate the suggestions! I’m heavy on the workouts, walks with headphones on, and reading. I’m pretty happy on the hobby front. I’m having a tough time recalibrating my socialization mechanisms/tolerance. My partner is super outgoing and extroverted and I’m figuring out how to manage that. It’s tough but I’m sure gets easier with time.

Gotcha. I am struggling with that part too tbh…
why come?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #864 on: February 11, 2024, 04:11:54 PM »
I’ve accepted that I enjoy different things now and just focus on the things I like. Fortunately for me networking isn’t one as it’s the lifeblood of my business. My wife and I have both gotten way more into cleaning and organizing our home.

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #865 on: February 12, 2024, 03:44:32 AM »
First cup of regular coffee in a month happening right now. My no caffeine journey has ended, kind of. I felt pretty great that entire month. I definitely feel like not relying on caffeine in the mornings helped give me structure, which sounds weird, but it made me prioritize sleep a little more, which in turn made me think about how I spend my time through the day and ways to improve that relative to energy and when it would be at it's peak vs time to wind down, stuff like that. Also, it really helped with creating a better eating schedule; not snacking way into the night mostly, because I would already be in bed or maybe my metabolism was not as active later in the day as a result of all this. I plan on being much more cognizant of when I have caffeine and how much I ingest moving forward, that is for sure.

Still, my main goal was to continue with improving my digestive health, something I felt caffeine was affecting. And while I do think this helped a lot, I believe the real culprit to be the acidic nature of coffee itself. So for now, we're trying some baking soda in with the coffee, and we'll see how that goes. I'm also starting a set of nutrients to help fix my gut biome which is kind of part of this as well. But that's for another time.

Anyway, if you consider caffeine to be something in your life that may have a little too much presence, consider taking a small break. Yeah, it was tough at the beginning, but I think it's helped me shape a different relationship with it in the end.

Another day booze free, hope all is well pals. DM's always open if anyone ever needs to talk.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #866 on: February 12, 2024, 06:23:42 AM »
coffee is rough on my stomach too. had to stop cold brew. i really like the don't drink for first 60-90 minutes hack with caffine. it's been a game changer for me. for the stomach acid i've started taking acid reducers from the pharmacy.

mfweeno

• Rep: 29
« Reply #867 on: February 12, 2024, 07:26:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel you on that one. I took my daughter to see Angel maker at this park called Empire room in Austin. The show got rain delayed and we ended up hanging out in the bar and just looking at all the locals. I was texting my wife and saying these people are clearly not living very healthy. I’m only seven months in and I look at things way differently.

Expand Quote
[close]

@mfweeno

Appreciate you asking, man. I'm definitely doing better than I was when I typed that.

I think I'm just still ultimately learning to deal with life on life's terms. I start fantasizing about escaping into my old habits again when life feels too overwhelming or monotonous. I have to remember I can only take things one moment at a time and to be grateful for what's in front of me.

hmmoookay

• content nausea
« Reply #868 on: February 12, 2024, 08:56:54 AM »
coffee is rough on my stomach too. had to stop cold brew. i really like the don't drink for first 60-90 minutes hack with caffine. it's been a game changer for me. for the stomach acid i've started taking acid reducers from the pharmacy.

Yeah I feel most days I'm able to achieve that, today for example I was already up for 45min or so before I even got the brew going. The baking soda seems to have helped though! None of the usual mid coffee bs tummy ache type stuff.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

@mfweeno

[close]

Appreciate you asking, man. I'm definitely doing better than I was when I typed that.

I think I'm just still ultimately learning to deal with life on life's terms. I start fantasizing about escaping into my old habits again when life feels too overwhelming or monotonous. I have to remember I can only take things one moment at a time and to be grateful for what's in front of me.

This is something that I still deal with every so often. Luckily it passes quickly but even on Saturday night, was on a nice night drive taking a long way home, started thinking "man, wouldn't it be nice..." and yeah, it would be nice. but it would not be nice very quickly / the next day / the next week. just gotta play the tape forward.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 78
« Reply #869 on: February 12, 2024, 03:17:16 PM »
First cup of regular coffee in a month happening right now. My no caffeine journey has ended, kind of. I felt pretty great that entire month. I definitely feel like not relying on caffeine in the mornings helped give me structure, which sounds weird, but it made me prioritize sleep a little more, which in turn made me think about how I spend my time through the day and ways to improve that relative to energy and when it would be at it's peak vs time to wind down, stuff like that. Also, it really helped with creating a better eating schedule; not snacking way into the night mostly, because I would already be in bed or maybe my metabolism was not as active later in the day as a result of all this. I plan on being much more cognizant of when I have caffeine and how much I ingest moving forward, that is for sure.

Still, my main goal was to continue with improving my digestive health, something I felt caffeine was affecting. And while I do think this helped a lot, I believe the real culprit to be the acidic nature of coffee itself. So for now, we're trying some baking soda in with the coffee, and we'll see how that goes. I'm also starting a set of nutrients to help fix my gut biome which is kind of part of this as well. But that's for another time.

Anyway, if you consider caffeine to be something in your life that may have a little too much presence, consider taking a small break. Yeah, it was tough at the beginning, but I think it's helped me shape a different relationship with it in the end.

Another day booze free, hope all is well pals. DM's always open if anyone ever needs to talk.

Coffee is a hard one to give up. I was drinking a pot of coffee before work last year, but I've scaled way back.

The only way I stopped drinking so much of it was by not bringing a thermos of it to work to drink at lunch or break, because I'm not willing to drink shitty coffee from the local drive thrus.
Ive been called a coffee snob because I despise Tim Hortons coffee, which everyone at work gets for coffee break.
McDonald's coffee has become so bad and so inconsistent that I don't like drinking it either.

So in the end, I would just rather drink water than shitty coffee, which isn't a bad thing I guess. I absolutely hate having a bad cup of coffee. Like a shitty roast, or a weak cup. It's gross and just makes me feel like shit after.

Haven't had any booze for a month now. Feels ok.