Author Topic: Getting tricks back  (Read 1345 times)

ramplocal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
  • poser
Getting tricks back
« on: September 23, 2019, 11:33:06 AM »
I just got back on the wagon after multi year hiatus, im 39, used to skate when i was a kid from age 8 -21,  started up again 2010 to 2013, you know, same old story, working all the time, doing boring adult stuff. Started up again and am getting muscle memory back aka getting pop back. Its such an amazing feeling. Honestly the post you skating thread has been a big motivation for me. Hopefully i will be able to contribute soon. Super stoked!

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Getting tricks back
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 02:31:13 PM »
This man is a cop
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!

ramplocal

• poser

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:27:36 AM »
be safe out there. old parts break with much more ease.
No.

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »
In the same boat. Not only does getting tricks back feel great, getting new ones feels even better.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 436
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »
I think I am skating better now than I ever have. More consistent landing shit, not as shook to try some tricks I would have hesitated on previously. I have less time to get out and roll and it forces me to use every second I get to do tricks. I probably look like I am training for a contest or something, just constantly moving while I am out there.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »
I finally got kickflips back after losing them back in 2005 and again in 2008. My ankles were just too weak and I couldn't get the timing of the pop, drag and flick, so I ended up with lots of rocket flips. I could still do FS flips and FS half cab flips but the humble kickflip always gave me a letter in SKATE.

I put the time to strengthen my ankles and break down the steps to doing them right when I got back on the board a few weeks ago. I forgot what an amazing feeling it is to stomp one down over the bolts.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ramplocal

• poser
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 06:46:53 PM »
I think I am skating better now than I ever have. More consistent landing shit, not as shook to try some tricks I would have hesitated on previously. I have less time to get out and roll and it forces me to use every second I get to do tricks. I probably look like I am training for a contest or something, just constantly moving while I am out there.
That is awesome you are at your best skating now, also getting older, the time you can dedicate to skating seems to go into smaller intervals for sure. Have to make the best of it right☺.
Rocklobster, i absolutely feel you on the kickflips, i am currently working on those. Funny how something we take for granted when we are younger can be so hard to get back. Are they the same as when you had them before or are they different? Like pop wise /style wise?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1920
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That is awesome you are at your best skating now, also getting older, the time you can dedicate to skating seems to go into smaller intervals for sure. Have to make the best of it right☺.
Rocklobster, i absolutely feel you on the kickflips, i am currently working on those. Funny how something we take for granted when we are younger can be so hard to get back. Are they the same as when you had them before or are they different? Like pop wise /style wise?

I never had much pop or style on them, I think I learned them wrong when I first started out by doing mob flips. Only learned them properly when I friend taught me the proper technique (like an ollie but with a flick at the end) that I could start doing them down stairs.

Haven't filmed myself doing them recently but it feels like I got more height on them and have them leveled out when I'm over the bolts. I'm still at a 50% success rate and I've given up on heelflips because fuck that trick.

Next tricks I want to work on are FS and BS 360s, I think I have a better understanding on body mechanics (head, shoulders, torso, legs, feet).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m