Author Topic: R.I.P Supra  (Read 536000 times)

Shalom Iginla

Re: R.I.P Supra
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2019, 07:07:35 PM »
MUSKA Nordstrom Rack Pro model YO! Their issues certainly are not on the design side.

Damn that is one heinous looking moon boot.

uncool old fart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2019, 07:17:01 PM »
I used to work at an e-commerce company that, right up until a few months before I started, was run like the third-generation family business it was. Shortly before I came on board, it was purchased by a capital investment company that had also purchased Supra.

This investment company worked in sort of the same way that house flippers do - they bought a company with potential, pumped in a bunch of money, allowing them to expand, and then sold them on at a profit when the time was right. This was the investment company that eventually sold Supra to K-Swiss, if I remember correctly.

When I started at that job, there were less than 100 employees in the whole company, between R&D, marketing, photography, the product teams, customer service, sales, and the warehouse. By the time I left three years later, the company had, by my estimation, tripled in size, bought three other companies in the same industry, and expanded the building we worked in twice after buying the truck depot next door and tearing it down.

We'd have quarterly "town hall" meetings hosted over lunch in a large open area of the building, where the CEO and management team would talk to us about how the company was doing and show us pie charts and graphs while we stuffed our faces with free food. That's probably exactly how this layoff meeting happened.

I have zero doubts that Supra had 200 employees, and it was, unfortunately, probably too bloated to perform at a sustained high level. I feel bad not only for the employees, but for the pro riders as well. I hope those guys get picked up fast.

Somewhat related: everyone at my company got a free pair of Supras when the capital investment company bought them...a month or so before I started. Everyone in the office but me had fresh skate shoes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:18:37 PM by uncool old fart »
At this point, I think I’ve seen Bam’s penis more than my own.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -332
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
Years ago when Antwuan Dixon had a shoe for bit, I went to  City Trends discount yo boy swag shop they had a fuck load of purple Supra Dixon’s I bought the whole lot of 11& halves and 12’s had Supra’s for two years only thing was they were canvas and would shred after a few weeks so I had a shit load of rights that were trashed.
Dueces Bitch's

SickSickSicks

• Rep: 20
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus!
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2019, 07:28:24 PM »
Another shoe brand, born of skateboarding, gone. It's a fucking bummer.

Im legit disappointed that the Greco loafer will never happen.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:58:43 PM by SickSickSicks »

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2019, 07:35:03 PM »
Ross is gonna pop of in a few weeks
Was about to make a comment about trying all the weird shoes and then I saw this.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Lil Wyane central american families in mall foodcourts is bummed
[close]
[close]

Needless to say, my Central American is will hit up Ross for the Greco and Lizard shoes if they do go out.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

uncool old fart

« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2019, 07:48:48 PM »
Needless to say, my Central American is will hit up Ross for the Greco and Lizard shoes if they do go out.

They're opening a Ross here (Akron, Ohio) and I'm stoked. When I was visiting Nevada/California often, I'd always hit up Ross and I was shocked by all of the discounted skate clothes/shoes they always seemed to have.

fs overkrook

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2019, 07:53:10 PM »
How is dee going to pay his bills?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're opening a Ross here (Akron, Ohio) and I'm stoked. When I was visiting Nevada/California often, I'd always hit up Ross and I was shocked by all of the discounted skate clothes/shoes they always seemed to have.

I've been struggling to find anything recently and I blame skateboarding's popularity. But hope you have better luck!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

uncool old fart

« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2019, 08:57:36 PM »
I used to like their shoes before the KSwiss thing. After that the quality really took a dive.

Piggybacking on what I said above - the company that I worked for had a quality drop-off for in-house product after the investment company bought us out. We went from domestically-produced, high-end, short-run parts to stuff made overseas for cheap, and sold cheap as well. The engineers hated it. So in regards to Supra, that issue may have started before the sale to K-Swiss.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:11:33 PM by uncool old fart »

euro tm

« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »
How is dee going to pay his bills?

i see a gofundme thread starting in our near future

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2019, 09:27:13 PM »
why would KSWISS buy brands just to sink them.....didn't they look at the numbers of units & sales figures prior.

You're dumb, You're dumbies

uncool old fart

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
why would KSWISS buy brands just to sink them.....didn't they look at the numbers of units & sales figures prior.

From Bertram Capital's website:

"Strong design capabilities but lack broad distribution and infrastructure to scale"

That was their assessment of Supra when they picked them up.

https://www.bertramcapital.com/portfolio/one-distribution

They probably scaled the company beyond the point where its success was sustainable for any length of time. I bet the rapid expansion under Bertram made the books look really good when K-Swiss bought them, and it continued looking good right up until the point when Zumiez kids stopped buying them at a rate that could support 200+ employees and the operating budget for a company that large.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:35:33 PM by uncool old fart »

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2019, 10:03:17 PM »
After Emerica, Supra is probably the brand I've had the most shoes. The SkyLow 2s are in my top 5 favorite skate shoes of all time. The Vaiders, Vaider Lows, TK Stacks, Chinos, all very solid shoes.

They really cashed in during the mid00s-early10s with rappers and singers rocking their shit, but when that bubble burst it was only a matter of time. When they had that team that was like 14 deep it was arguably the best team around.

Nobody currently on Supra will find a new full on sponsor.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2019, 10:31:02 PM »
After Emerica, Supra is probably the brand I've had the most shoes. The SkyLow 2s are in my top 5 favorite skate shoes of all time. The Vaiders, Vaider Lows, TK Stacks, Chinos, all very solid shoes.

They really cashed in during the mid00s-early10s with rappers and singers rocking their shit, but when that bubble burst it was only a matter of time. When they had that team that was like 14 deep it was arguably the best team around.

My predictions.

Spencer will get another shoe sponsor. I could see him on adidas.

Muska will still stay working with straye.
Penny will hopefully get legend status some where.
Greco will skate for Ellington’s  company.

Leandre will probably go to Nike, he is crazy good and still young.

Sasha will get stuck on a Canada program, even though he deserves more. 

Lizard, Dee, and Clint will go back to flow.

Southernmost

• Rep: 118
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2019, 10:40:52 PM »
Saw a few pairs of Muska Sky Tops at Burlington the other day. I had the TK Stacks in 2010 they were a great shoe. Does anybody know what Toms shoe is gonna look like? Hope it’s not a Timberland boot.   

wildbillhiccup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
  • JACKASS
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2019, 11:21:57 PM »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2019, 11:27:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
You should probably read a bit - let's say something about investment bankers, like Bain Capital for starters. Then go to your local Ross or Marshalls and look at all the Sean John, Rocawear, FUBU type shit and think about how it went from high end to highly discounted. Big companies buy small companies and try to maximize profits by cutting corners on everything. When the business starts to fail, they run up the credit as high as possible, put that money in their own pockets and then close it down. Toys R Us was a good example.

And exactly the same happens with bands in the music industry (in which I know my way in)

For example:

Step 1
One genre is popular > 5 bands are really putting in work and are getting pretty decent > recordlabel has an eye on all 5 bands > after a while two bands really start to excell, while the other 3 bands are getting there.

Step 2
The recordlabel signs all 5 bands > lets them record an album > puts all marketing on the two 'excelling bands'

Step 3
So the other 3 bands have a deal. But in the end they won't sell enough records. That's because they never got the right amount of promo. And that was intentionally done so all along.

Step 4
They get dropped or shelved for not selling enough

Why do labels do that?
That's to make money and cut down 'competition' from 'other labels'.

How?
Another recordlabel could have signed one of those other 3 bands and could have 'marketed' the sh*t out of them. That would mean competition for the two 'top bands'. But now that recordlabel 'owns' all 5 bands that 'competition' is eliminated.

That's how fucked up the world is, and happens each and every day...

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2019, 11:30:53 PM »
lets not forget this gem.

But on a serious note, I bought some supra hiking boots recently when I went to Iceland, and they were EXTREMELY well built. Water, rocks,, lava, heat, cold... they held up really really good.

And a guilty pleasure is that first skytop shoe :(

Shalom!

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2019, 11:34:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
You should probably read a bit - let's say something about investment bankers, like Bain Capital for starters. Then go to your local Ross or Marshalls and look at all the Sean John, Rocawear, FUBU type shit and think about how it went from high end to highly discounted. Big companies buy small companies and try to maximize profits by cutting corners on everything. When the business starts to fail, they run up the credit as high as possible, put that money in their own pockets and then close it down. Toys R Us was a good example.
[close]

And exactly the same happens with bands in the music industry (in which I know my way in)

For example:

Step 1
One genre is popular > 5 bands are really putting in work and are getting pretty decent > recordlabel has an eye on all 5 bands > after a while two bands really start to excell, while the other 3 bands are getting there.

Step 2
The recordlabel signs all 5 bands > lets them record an album > puts all marketing on the two 'excelling bands'

Step 3
So the other 3 bands have a deal. But in the end they won't sell enough records. That's because they never got the right amount of promo. And that was intentionally done so all along.

Step 4

Why do labels do that?

How?
Another recordlabel could have signed one of those other 3 bands and could have 'marketed' the sh*t out of them. That would mean competition for the two 'top bands'. But now that recordlabel 'owns' all 5 bands that 'competition' is eliminated.

Hit em with the classic
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2019, 11:43:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

For example:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Why do labels do that?

How?

[close]
Hit em with the classic
https://thebaffler.com/salvos/the-problem-with-music

Never seen that, but that's EXACTLY what it is. Thanks.

And it works like that with companies too :(

euro tm

« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2019, 11:46:05 PM »

in all of skateboarding, when has a big corporation bought out a company and didn’t cut the team and made it something it isn’t? every single time it’s happened shit lasts 5 years tops. it’s a vicious cycle.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 41
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2019, 01:24:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My predictions.

Spencer will get another shoe sponsor. I could see him on adidas.

Muska will still stay working with straye.
Penny will hopefully get legend status some where.
Greco will skate for Ellington’s  company.

Leandre will probably go to Nike, he is crazy good and still young.

Sasha will get stuck on a Canada program, even though he deserves more. 

Lizard, Dee, and Clint will go back to flow.

Only one i agree with, i could see spenny on adidas... Anyway i only page 1 and 4.... is supra definitley finished? I almost dont believe it

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

shingles

• Rep: -61
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2019, 01:29:09 AM »

Why are you talking bout cars on here?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:31:43 AM by shingles »
support your local ramp-tramp

fftc

• Rep: 1
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2019, 01:39:32 AM »
But Greco and Penny deserve money forever  :'(

Penny on Timberland or Redwing?

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2019, 02:26:32 AM »
Damn, I actually like a few of their shoes, and always thought the team was diverse and represented a good spectrum of skateboarding. I hope it's not true.

Matthew Hamilton

• Rep: -210
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2019, 02:41:58 AM »
Spence Hamilton for Adidas ///

TreyPhillip

• Rep: 17
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2019, 04:43:21 AM »

Couldn't figure out how to embed a darn photo properly
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:45:00 AM by TreyPhillip »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2019, 04:54:32 AM »
Nobody working at Supra will confim anything even if it's really happening
OP said 200 at Kswiss .. not 200 at supra

not saying it's true or false..
but the article is pretty clear that changes are coming.

Bousiña

• Rep: 1
  • Classical Gas
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:22 AM »

Why are you talking bout cars on here?

Ayyyy dat supra lookin' dope af 👌😫💯🅱️

homophobicslurs

• Rep: -12
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2019, 04:57:37 AM »
Supra had some good looking shoes but i would never buy them because of their team.