Author Topic: Cutting dickies  (Read 9902 times)

Diocletian

Cutting dickies
« on: September 26, 2019, 08:03:43 PM »
I’ve had the same 5 pairs of Dickies pants for several years now, they’re the “flex” relaxed fit and I wear them every day all year. I always gotta cuff just once a tiny bit at the bottom though. Anyone use some type of fabric scissors on their dickies before, and did they hold up without fraying too bad? Can’t afford to hem and don’t have the skill to do it myself, or a sewing machine. Thanks in advance.

What a find

Re: Cutting dickies
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:11:29 PM »
Sewing really isn't difficult man. $1 or $2 you can buy a little sewing kit to get it done

* tweezers and a magnifying glass to thread the needle if needed

Randomly stabbing then tying off the thread works if you just want to keep the fabric off your heels for skating

If you want them to look decent, just look up how to sew a line by hand
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:15:51 PM by What a find »

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 09:31:06 PM »
I think they have some fabric glue where you can just fold it and glue it to itself.

HyenaChaser

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 10:09:36 PM »
If you’re actually going to hem them I would suggest watching a tutorial vid. And sewing is an invaluable skill with a low entry fee so I recommend learning it.

But if you wanna just get hesh wit it, you can cut them off at their current hem line, likely where you cuff them, and the won’t fray much. A bunch of strands will come off at first but it mellows out.

A bicycle chain ripping the hem line off two pairs taught me all of these things.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:40:24 PM »
I’ve tried cutting and in the last week I finally just paid a seamstress to put them up, the hem freyed something stupid at first, but after a wash and snipping off the remaining mess it worked out alright. But if you can find some backalley sew store they’ll do it for like $10 and save you fucking up some pants

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 10:53:21 PM »
They don’t frey in my experience

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 07:24:46 AM »
They have a thread stapler or something like that. They’re like 20$ give or take looks simple to use. Like a little hand held sewing machine I’m gonna get one to hem some dickies I cut off into shorts

handsclapanin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 08:02:02 AM »
I've got some I turned into shorts and they frayed but held up.
You could always buy a pair with a shorter inseam, so they fit how you want.
Also, nothing wrong with a little cuff.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
Cuff them and put a stitch in to hold it or cut them and try singing the edge with a lighter if they fray.  Might not work, and it will absolutely be offensive to look at, but you wouldn't have to sew that way.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2019, 01:46:51 AM »
cut them and try singing the edge with a lighter if they fray.

I do this, it works and it looks like cutted leg without frying, what's offensive with that?

Diocletian

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2019, 09:38:39 AM »
Thanks for all the input fellas! I went to a local craft store and bought some scissors geared towards fabric cutting that were only $3. Cut above the hem line as neat as I could and then quite a few threads were sorta finding their way loose as I walked around the house. Took them off and just did the lighter trick as recommended and they seem to be holding up fine.

I agree nothing wrong with the look of a cuff but it would just get annoying when they’d come undone or also picking up grass and pebbles inside the cuff when walking around haha.

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 10:41:05 AM »

* tweezers and a magnifying glass to thread the needle if needed

LOL

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2019, 11:01:38 AM »
Expand Quote
cut them and try singing the edge with a lighter if they fray.
[close]

I do this, it works and it looks like cutted leg without frying, what's offensive with that?

Maybe they changed the material somehow, but I did it ages ago and it left blackened globules at the edge.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2019, 06:56:51 PM »
Being awkwardly tall and a larger dude, dickies cut off into shorts is my best way to insure the right fit.
There is a bit of a trick.
If you look close enough, there is horizontal seem line you can kinda follow and cut along.
Make sure that you take length from inside (crotch side)of pant. This will give you the opportunity to trim further.
Wash and dry them a few times. That will produce some fraying. Trim it off and go skating.