Author Topic: How to learn any flip trick  (Read 1914 times)

GoldDigger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
How to learn any flip trick
« on: March 17, 2007, 11:59:44 AM »
This method dawned on me after skating for a long time.  I've been using it lately and I learned a bunch of tricks.  I decided to post it because I see a lot of people making skating way too hard on themselves.  Hope you can enjoy this!

To learn any flip trick do the following set of things exactly once per day
:
- try the trick on flat 5 times (flail your arms, fall, look like an idiot, whatever just make sure you give it a good try)
- try the trick up a curb 5 times (still cool to flail about... do this step even before you land the trick on flat)
- try the trick down a curb 5 times (same notes as above... just make sure you give it a good try)

Optional:  If you wanna learn the trick really well do the two things below too:
- try the trick 5 times on a mellow bank
- try the trick 5 times on a quarter pipe (don't need to go above the coping or even get close)

If you are really determined to learn a trick add this goofy step
!
- draw an animation of someone busting the trick.  The perspective should be looking down on the board (where you'll be looking as you do the trick).  Make the animation about 6-7 frames so you get all the motions in there (feet position, pop, flick, catch, stick etc)

After you complete the above forget about the particular trick until next time.  Move on to a different trick.  I know this approach sounds robotic and not fun... but hey you'll learn every trick you've always wanted without stressing at all.

Cheers!

defiantnate

Re: How to learn any flip trick
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »
Or you could just stay centered, that works too.

Bruce Wayne

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 01:32:38 PM »
skateboard c
sometimes the "things" and "friends" you enjoy the most, will hurt you the most, and play an ultimate factor in how you leave this earth.
-sheffledge
half of you probably cant even tre.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »
well you got it right on the repititon as there's nothing better than that but I stopped reading it when you mentioned drawing it-wtf??? Hey, whatever works!

I will say though that it's a proven fact that watching shit alot can subconsciously help your mind figure it out.

Doing it over and over is the best thing to do. It trains your body to do it instinctively and that's when you'll get em good. Flat's usually enough. However, banks tend to be different a little, but flat first always I think. I notice on a bank my tres work better if I don't set up as much, and give it a slow flip. I love how that trick feels on a hip. Nothing like it. When I started learning new tricks I'd just warm up and do at least 5 of each trick I had already wired just so I wouldn't lose it, then I'd try the new shit, over and over and over over and over again till I had it pretty down. The next day maybe it was hard again but I'd do the same routine the next night. At least 5 times of the wired tricks and then just trying that same shit, and if it was still early and I got it down I'd still just do em repeatedly over and over till 11 or 12. 15 years old and out that late was sketch but I had a little escape route incase namblas came around. Fuck, I was all by myself in an industrial area that was dead quiet. I could have been killed.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:08:15 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

mikefork

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 04:11:48 PM »
since we are sharing our leaning tricks experiences i will add mine. whenever i go to the shop and want to learn something new i go to the side street across the street that was a hill. warm up and like sanch get everything out of the way before i try whatever trick. keep at it and i go by the mullen idea that you really learn a after doing three times in a day. after i land three i walk to the top of the hill and bomb down and once it levels out i try whatever trick and i do that a few times

biggums mcgee

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 06:38:23 AM »
I find it alot easier when I'm skating with people who are alot better than me, or do alot of flip tricks. just gives me tons of motivation for some reason

syn

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 03:42:04 AM »
I find it alot easier when I'm skating with people who are alot better than me, or do alot of flip tricks. just gives me tons of motivation for some reason

isn't that always the case? you skate with people that are better than you and you get better, and vice versa
Skateboarding has already been bought, sold, packaged and sailed down the river. We were just too busy being cool to notice - Vibetek

OttoMaddox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 06:23:03 PM »
I learned some tricks by practicing them while holding on to the rails of a wheelchair ramp.  Kinda cheesy, I know, but it worked haha.

Warren

• Rep: 16
  • dog paparazzi
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »
I learned some tricks by practicing them while holding on to the rails of a wheelchair ramp.  Kinda cheesy, I know, but it worked haha.
yeah that is a good way to learn how to flip stuff.

watching other people do shit works too, like how they set up and how they are facing.

vic-film

• Rep: -15
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:11:57 PM »
this also might seem dumb but new shoes and board help too.  i think its just a mind game but it works for me.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 07:45:38 AM »
this also might seem dumb but new shoes and board help too.  i think its just a mind game but it works for me.

really?  for me, there's nothing worse than a new board and new shoes.....separately, there's not a problem.....but both new at the same time is the worst
hardly art, hardly starving

TotallyAwesome

• Rep: -6
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 08:41:48 AM »
i cannot break in new shoes with an old board.  whenever i get new kicks, i always set up a new deck.

mikefork

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 03:55:59 PM »
i skate my best usually when the shoe is still fairly new and when a board is fairly new. i love when i setup a new deck and coincedentaly a new pair of shoes. another way to learn a trick is to keep trying it well after you land it and to go faster after every land or take the trick to something different

shutupbitch

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »
This method dawned on me after skating for a long time.  I've been using it lately and I learned a bunch of tricks.  I decided to post it because I see a lot of people making skating way too hard on themselves.  Hope you can enjoy this!

To learn any flip trick do the following set of things exactly once per day
:
- try the trick on flat 5 times (flail your arms, fall, look like an idiot, whatever just make sure you give it a good try)
- try the trick up a curb 5 times (still cool to flail about... do this step even before you land the trick on flat)
- try the trick down a curb 5 times (same notes as above... just make sure you give it a good try)

Optional:  If you wanna learn the trick really well do the two things below too:
- try the trick 5 times on a mellow bank
- try the trick 5 times on a quarter pipe (don't need to go above the coping or even get close)

If you are really determined to learn a trick add this goofy step
!
- draw an animation of someone busting the trick.  The perspective should be looking down on the board (where you'll be looking as you do the trick).  Make the animation about 6-7 frames so you get all the motions in there (feet position, pop, flick, catch, stick etc)

After you complete the above forget about the particular trick until next time.  Move on to a different trick.  I know this approach sounds robotic and not fun... but hey you'll learn every trick you've always wanted without stressing at all.

Cheers!

http://www.411vm.com/skaters/Nate_Sherwood/1081/