Author Topic: cleaning bearings  (Read 3770 times)

SPHALT

cleaning bearings
« on: October 03, 2019, 11:30:05 PM »
Please help me cleaning bearings and show me your verbal talents on dissing that topic please.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:25:54 AM by SPHALT »

authentic_creed_bratton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: The ultimate receipe for cleanning your bearings!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 04:43:15 AM »
everybody around here just uses windex
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:12:22 PM by authentic_creed_bratton »
🤙

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 12:39:50 PM »
I soak mine in piss. The yellower the better, so that early morning, first piss of the day is best.
No.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
up that hydration level bro
🤙

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »
Use window cleanning liquid (such as blue stuff sprays).
Never rinse them!Idea is to avoid any water treatment in the process.
The first ingredient in Windex is water.

Ask your mom to buy you some acetone and some latex gloves

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:07:45 PM »
Pop the shields, douse (but don’t dip) in 90% rubbing alcohol, spin to dry, put shields back on or don’t.

Second life for bearings.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Fuck-You-Thats-Why

• Rep: -6
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 07:11:17 AM »
i pop em out, put them in the trash and get new ones. cunt be bothered with that nonsense.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 01:34:59 PM »
dump them shits in a small bottle of gas shake and bake son and relube. Also focus this thread it sucks bro.
Dueces Bitch's

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Re: cleaning bearings
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 06:12:55 AM »
Step 1 - Remove axle nut

Step 2 - Pull wheel half way off axle

Step 3 - Apply pressure to one side of wheel on edge of axle to remove bearing

Step 4 - Repeat 1-3 until all bearings are out

Step 5 - Throw all the bearings in the trash, focus deck.

Step 6 - Take up something else
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
Pop the shields, douse (but don’t dip) in 90% rubbing alcohol, spin to dry, put shields back on or don’t.

Second life for bearings.

Back the 90% isopropyl but I do soak mine, spin them, blot them dry, and then lube them. I've had the same couple sets of reds for years now and have kept them going with this method.

Streebo

• Rep: -30
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 05:00:00 PM »
they're only like 12 dollars.... just buy new ones

Starm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »
they're only like 12 dollars.... just buy new ones
Unless you're riding swiss...

Starm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »
I use the bones bearing cleaner for my bearings. I fill it up about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way with rubbing alcohol, shake for a bit, dump the old liquid and repeat until it runs clear. Then I let them air dry and put on a few drops of speed cream.

FS-OverKOOK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 11:51:07 AM »
don't forget the WD-40

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »
I bought a set of Swiss a few months back. Been skating them with the spacers and shields of course. I noticed a slowdown recently so I cleaned a set of bearings for the first time in my life. I did it by the books. Popped the shields, cleaned them with acetone in the cleaner bottle kit, and put two drops of speed cream in each. Damn. Well worth the little bit of effort. If you invest in Swiss, you might as well clean them.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

dan brown

• Rep: 0
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 04:08:37 AM »
Please help me cleaning bearings and show me your verbal talents on dissing that topic please.

Don't... Just take the shields off and don't skate through mud or when it's damp and any bearings will last. I've had hard luck 6balls in for 2 and a half-ish years, never done anything to them and they are loud and fast a fuck still.
Bones reds are over rated. Bronson are a load of shit that don't spin and lock up real quick (I've set up 2 pairs in the last year and both times was robbed of my money and a working product) resorted back to the hard lucks both times. Gunna stick on this ship till they fail me

Escape Hell

• Rep: 26
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »
Step 1 - Remove axle nut

Step 2 - Pull wheel half way off axle

Step 3 - Apply pressure to one side of wheel on edge of axle to remove bearing

Step 4 - Repeat 1-3 until all bearings are out

Step 5 - Throw all the bearings in the trash, focus deck.

Step 6 - Take up something else
Best advice

ClownOfTheDay

• Rep: -17
  • I miss Assflea
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 07:54:33 AM »
A good bubble bath with them works, don't for get your ducky!

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
I have these from photography but these are used a lot when I'm doing my bearing routine. I'm not saying buy this one exactly, but shop around for a good one.

https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Cleaning-Instruments-Keyboards-Telescope/dp/B07Y1TKXVK/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=photography+bulb+blower&qid=1578945303&sr=8-3

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2020, 02:27:39 PM »
I do it every once in awhile but cleaning bearings has also fucked a few of them up. I have best luck with Bones 6balls. For whatever reason they stay clean longer and when I do clean them I get better results. If its a $25 bearing, I don't bother....

But here's my technique. Take the whole thing apart. Don't just pop the shields, remove the balls from the cages completely. Put races and balls in glass jar and swish with Isopropyl alcohol (min 90%). Depending how dirty let soak and/ or add to some fresh solution after first soak. Use hair dryer to dry immediately after removal. Wipe the cages and shields with a little alcohol also. Then curse and swear as you try and reassemble those fuckers.... lose a ball and curse some more... add 1 or 2 drops MAX of light grade oil (i use speed cream and rocking rons lube whatever the fuck he calls it.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:32:22 PM by Fred Gerwer Frank Gall »

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2020, 06:39:26 PM »
buy this:

follow this exactly:
https://bonesbearings.com/support/cleaner/

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 08:44:04 PM »
I do it every once in awhile but cleaning bearings has also fucked a few of them up. I have best luck with Bones 6balls. For whatever reason they stay clean longer and when I do clean them I get better results. If its a $25 bearing, I don't bother....

But here's my technique. Take the whole thing apart. Don't just pop the shields, remove the balls from the cages completely. Put races and balls in glass jar and swish with Isopropyl alcohol (min 90%). Depending how dirty let soak and/ or add to some fresh solution after first soak. Use hair dryer to dry immediately after removal. Wipe the cages and shields with a little alcohol also. Then curse and swear as you try and reassemble those fuckers.... lose a ball and curse some more... add 1 or 2 drops MAX of light grade oil (i use speed cream and rocking rons lube whatever the fuck he calls it.)

Guess that was my fuck up, I removed the shields but not the cages. I have a pair of Bones Swiss (the one in the black packaging) that I cleaned but I guess I wasn't thorough enough.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
Something else to consider is have lots of spares around.   When I change wheels, I take out the slower bearings, put in the spares.  Then when I have time clean the spares and toss the ones that can't be salvaged.  I find it saves me from just tossing the whole set and getting new bearings. 

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 02:25:06 AM »
Something else to consider is have lots of spares around.   When I change wheels, I take out the slower bearings, put in the spares.  Then when I have time clean the spares and toss the ones that can't be salvaged.  I find it saves me from just tossing the whole set and getting new bearings.

Dangerous.

Whenever I have a "spare" set of bearings it becomes a new setup pretty soon. Bearings are the most expensive and least fun part to buy so once I have an "extra" set laying around, I start looking at new decks/wheels/trucks I want to try.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:29:22 PM by beatifk »

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 08:48:38 AM »
I just got some spitfire cheap blue bearings and they have to be the worst I’ve ever bought. So fucking slow on 54mm F4s.

Ghost Lurker

• Rep: 17
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 09:30:04 PM »
Been riding same set of Swiss for years, 3,4, maybe 5 years.

Got a gift card for holiday present and bought some new Swiss.

Didn’t swap them in yet but when I do it’s shields off immediately.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2020, 10:39:28 AM »
pop bearings out, remove shields, chuck in a sealable bottle with enough citrus degreaser to cover the bearings. give it a good shake, leave for a few mins and repeat that a couple times. take the bearings out, rinse under water and shake/dry em off with a towel then blast with a hairdryer to get em fully dry. lube and put them back in. might not be the best way to do it but its always worked for me. can also filter the degreaser and get a couple of uses out of it.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2020, 12:58:01 PM »
pop bearings out, remove shields, chuck in a sealable bottle with enough citrus degreaser to cover the bearings. give it a good shake, leave for a few mins and repeat that a couple times. take the bearings out, rinse under water and shake/dry em off with a towel then blast with a hairdryer to get em fully dry. lube and put them back in. might not be the best way to do it but its always worked for me. can also filter the degreaser and get a couple of uses out of it.

Citrus works in a pinch and I've certainly used it but a lot of the time it has detergents and other shit in it that leaves a residue, especially the cheap ones that you get from the dollar store. Personally I think the best way is using a good, strong, and relatively pure solvent (acetone, 91% isopropyl alcohol, fred gall's urine etc) that will evaporate quickly and cleanly for the cleaning step, then after its all shiny and new add the lightweight lubricant of your choice. I use 91% isopropyl or pure acetone depending on the situation since I have access to virtually unlimited quantities of both where I work. Acetone is really good but it will eat away at seals and even some retainers so I usually just use the alcohol to avoid having to pop the balls out and put them back together unless its a serious issue like them totally seizing up from rust.

For lube a lot of people love speedcream and it works fine for me, but I'm actually using this "liberty oil" stuff that was given to me by one of the grease monkeys where I work and it's pretty awesome. It's a really light pure synthetic oil that comes in bottle with the cheapest label I've ever seen, but it works wonders. I had a set of Flip HKD 7s that I got wet without realizing and they completely rusted, like the balls were basically welded to the races with rust and I had to break them off after taking the retainer out. After cleaning with alcohol for 24 hours and a little bit of elbow grease they were back to about the speed of a bearing off a kmart board. Added a few drops of the liberty and spun them a few times and you'd never know they'd been nearly destroyed other than the fact they're loud as shit now.