Author Topic: Starting a Curb  (Read 15924 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Re: Starting a Curb
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2020, 05:29:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Just hit a local parking block with that rustoleum. Was smooth but porous and sticky.   Will report back later.

Theres another spot ive started up, these amazing slightly slanted curbs that are rough but a really hard, stony concrete. Just ground one in with no wax and its amazing. Has taken a big chunk of my indys though, but worth it. Going to rub brick and rustoleum on of those shits.
[close]
does paint and then rustOleum do anything? Or just use rustoleum from the jump and get it grind able? After smoothing with a brick?

Well i just hit this one with straight rustoleum. 2 coats a day ago. Going back tomorrow to test it, will spray it again and keep going till its good. Then wax. Never done it before so keen to see.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2020, 09:02:19 AM »
I'm still trying to find the right sequence. Next one I'm doing the clear enamel, then curb paint red, then the lacquer over that.

I've chipped out most of the red paint off my curb from grinding and that combination was paint with clear enamel over it since that oil based paint still seemed tacky even after drying for a couple days (properly mixed and not applied too thick).

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2020, 09:08:27 AM »
Put a bit of wax on the trucks and go faster to break the curb in

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2020, 11:18:38 AM »
I'm still trying to find the right sequence. Next one I'm doing the clear enamel, then curb paint red, then the lacquer over that.

I've chipped out most of the red paint off my curb from grinding and that combination was paint with clear enamel over it since that oil based paint still seemed tacky even after drying for a couple days (properly mixed and not applied too thick).
I've wondered about using thinned down enamel or lacquer and trying to get it to soak into the cement a lil.
Epoxy enamel or appliance enamel slides really well, it's what I use to paint boards, and I've wondered how well it would work. Not many colors though.
Oil based might need hotter temps to cure? Would adding thinner help?
For my local red curbs I've been waxing them when the weather is warm and trying to let the wax soak in.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
There are some smooth curbs at my local tennis courts but they have the metal stakes like a 6” in from each end. Tried to find a smoother leveled curb than the rest but still tough - anyone dealt with those?

Like this. Set pretty close to each other which sucks but still something different to mess around on.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2020, 07:56:48 PM »
Honestly unless it’s for aethetics, paint isn’t even necessary especially for a curb. That being said I just redid a ledge at my diy and painted it then clear coated it and it turned out amazing. But I only painted the sides (granite slabs on top of blocks) I did grind the granite smooth and put several coats of clear on it skated the first time today and skated amazing and didn’t even need to wax it. The trick I’ve found is get the surface smooth, grinder or rub brick, get all the dust off and put several liberal coats of clear allowing plenty of dry time.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2020, 08:53:49 PM »
Rub brick the curb as much as you can. It’s a bitch but I usually do it for a few minutes in sections and that’s it. One coat of clear and wax it up. Don’t overthink the clear and you definitely don’t need to paint.

Put enough elbow grease into the rub bricking and you barely need wax.

Paint gets you busted for vandalism
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 09:45:48 PM »
It's for aesthetics. I always loved turning my white wheels red from sessioning the curbs in this one underground parking garage near the state capital in Honolulu. Reliving my teen years as I sink further into middle age.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2020, 12:00:54 AM »
It's for aesthetics. I always loved turning my white wheels red from sessioning the curbs in this one underground parking garage near the state capital in Honolulu. Reliving my teen years as I sink further into middle age.

That shit drives me nuts for some reason. I never cared about what my wheels looked like the first ten years I skated but I bought “limited edition” spits when I was 22 and have hated turning my wheels red ever since.

OCD is a bitch. I have a setup just for red curbs it’s so bad
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2020, 05:07:44 AM »

Totally get it. All paint will eventually come off if it gets skated enough, the curb will be well worn in by then though. But take your time do plenty of coats 2-3 of paint first then clear and it will be a dream to grind. Just don’t get impatient and allow the recommended dry times between coats.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2020, 08:31:20 AM »
It's funny because I was riding A1 meats Ollies and then the spitfire II's when that window of barging that garage went down. It was an insane bust after a while with some of the most aggro cops swarming in and chasing us. One session we got dispersed and I ran toward the capital and threw my board over the wall and jumped over and lay down on the grass to hide as a split second later a patrol car zipped by, flying. Those adrenaline filled moments make me smile when I look at my wheels and my curb. Like looking at an old deck from your stack that is so covered in slide marks that you can't remember or recognize what the original graphics were.

satan

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2020, 01:33:18 PM »
There are some smooth curbs at my local tennis courts but they have the metal stakes like a 6” in from each end. Tried to find a smoother leveled curb than the rest but still tough - anyone dealt with those?

Like this. Set pretty close to each other which sucks but still something different to mess around on.

Pic isn't working for me. Is it like the rebar they use to stake down parking blocks? Sticking outta dirt or concrete?
I'm thinking of taking a mini sledge to the rebar on some parking blocks cuz it's 1/4" proud.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2020, 06:10:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Pic isn't working for me. Is it like the rebar they use to stake down parking blocks? Sticking outta dirt or concrete?
I'm thinking of taking a mini sledge to the rebar on some parking blocks cuz it's 1/4" proud.
yeah rebar so it doesn’t move. It sticks out a bit above the concrete on top a bit. There’s like a dozen in this lot so need to find one that’s more flush I guess.

satan

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2020, 09:26:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
yeah rebar so it doesn’t move. It sticks out a bit above the concrete on top a bit. There’s like a dozen in this lot so need to find one that’s more flush I guess.
If it's not into concrete they might be left over from the wooden forms used to make the curbs. Could try loosening them up and yanking them? Or try pound them farther down and cover them?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]
If it's not into concrete they might be left over from the wooden forms used to make the curbs. Could try loosening them up and yanking them? Or try pound them farther down and cover them?
Haven't thought about banging them in further - that could be an option honestly. But i am considering looking elsewhere, the curbs face a pretty main street in front of tennis courts/across from a school so I'm thinking its not the best idea.

secondhandstoke

• Rep: -448
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2020, 11:37:20 AM »
don’t forget to sweep the dust off after you rub your dick

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2020, 12:27:33 PM »
I bought a can of clear spraypaint for a curb. Has anyone experiences with that?
IG: @flowterspace

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
regular paint? should work to a degree but I'd imagine not as much as lacquer.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »
I bought a can of clear spraypaint for a curb. Has anyone experiences with that?
Yes, it has worked pretty well, but I have only skated it once so far.
I recommend hammer paint. I have used that on a curb and it has lasted me forever.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »
Yeah it is just clear spraypaint. On the last curb I only worked with a rub stone and wax. Grinds like a dream.
Will report back when I get a chance to try that spraypaint.
IG: @flowterspace

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2020, 09:15:26 AM »

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2020, 02:11:14 PM »
I would like to add, I think painting the ledge/curb only hurts the overall life of the ledge in the long run. I painted a ledge down the street and all the paint ended up flaking off eventually. Granted that spot specifically never gets direct sun so I don’t think it dried properly. BUT the same thing happened to a parking block ledge at our little DIY.  Just rub brick smooth and put on 3-4 layers (the more the better) of clear coat. By the time the clear coat wears off the ledge will be broken in properly. I’ve gotten over 5-7 curbs and ledges going with this method and they all grind great.

TL:DR don’t waste time and money painting stuff it comes off eventually and takes the clear coat with it. Just use clear coat.

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 21
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2020, 08:40:40 PM »
If it’s hot where you are, wax the curb and leave very small pieces of wax up and down the curb. Let it melt for an hour or in the heat and then come back and rub your trucks along the edge to spread the wax. Do this every three or four days before you skate it and you should have a perfect curb within two weeks or so.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:44 AM »
Rub brick, sweep dust, wax it, try to grind it and repeat about 1000 times.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2020, 10:27:17 PM »

Can’t repeat that too many times though, right? You don’t wanna rub brick a surface with substantial wax.

imuseless

• Rep: 14
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2020, 11:38:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can’t repeat that too many times though, right? You don’t wanna rub brick a surface with substantial wax.

At that point it should start slide a bit. If not, more brick.

Lloyd Braun

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2020, 09:01:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

TBH the recipe is simple y’all over thinking this. Rub brick smooth get rid of the dust, apply 3-4 coats of clear coat. Boom spend an hour rub bricking and 5 mins for each coat every few hours and you have a perfect curb ready the next day. 1 can clear coat= $8

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2020, 02:27:32 AM »
What kind of paint is the red paint used for curbs?

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2020, 02:43:37 AM »
What kind of paint is the red paint used for curbs?
Exterior gloss paint. Good stuff used to be oil based. Enamel? Seems like most paint is water based now.

lovecurbs_brazil

• Rep: 4
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2020, 08:36:13 PM »
I wanna build one like this