Author Topic: Powell Flight Decks vs Impact Light vs Santa Cruz VX  (Read 7768 times)

Torre

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Powell Flight Decks vs Impact Light vs Santa Cruz VX
« on: October 07, 2019, 08:24:56 AM »
Hey so I’ve skated both Powell Flight Decks and I’ve never broken one. I’ve used Almost Impact Light too. But never Santa Cruz VX. All 3 decks are supposed to be super strong “Composite” boards because they have a layer of fiberglass reinforcement.

What I don’t understand is why the prices vary so much, Flight Decks are $80+, Almost Impact Light being maybe $55 and VX decks cost like $75

So my question is, with these difference in prices, are all composite boards made equal? And are they all equally strong?

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -331
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Powell Flight Decks vs Impact Light vs Santa Cruz VX
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 08:34:03 AM »
Hey so I’ve skated both Powell Flight Decks and I’ve never broken one. I’ve used Almost Impact Light too. But never Santa Cruz VX. All 3 decks are supposed to be super strong “Composite” boards because they have a layer of fiberglass reinforcement.

What I don’t understand is why the prices vary so much, Flight Decks are $80+, Almost Impact Light being maybe $55 and VX decks cost like $75

So my question is, with these difference in prices, are all composite boards made equal? And are they all equally strong?
I believe you answered your question with a question.

In all seriousness those decks still have a flaw razor tail and chipping.  I have been skating a Real heavyweights costs just as normal deck and lasts me quite a few months of 3x days of skating a few hours each day.  Dropping off heavy stuff too improper landings too they are built to last for a bit.

Some are cash grab gimmicks Powell Flight decks are tough not sure about the Almost decks. I know to have a solid deck that's going to last you might consider Libtech or Lithe if that is our agenda, I cannot afford those as I like Real & DLXSF brands but if you are a board breaker you need to either learn to land bolts or buy a Libtech or Lithe.
Dueces Bitch's

Ty evans hanes tee

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
who cares

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 08:52:13 AM »
Dueces Bitch's

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
Flights are made in the States at Powell's wood shop.

P2/VX/Impact are all made at dwindle, in China.

VX cost more than a P2 or Impact because of more material being used (I'm not seen an impact full in ages).

I've not ridden a VX yet (due to the obnoxious taper) but P2s/Impact lights are amazing. Flights would be great if powell had better shapes (I've skated both the 249 and 244).

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 10:16:31 AM »
Flights have a full layer of whatever stuff they are using. Almost just has an inlay. Flights also use one less veneer. In my opinion Powell makes a superior product. I have had around 5 flight decks and probably 10 of the impacts. I have a VX on deck. Will report back.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »
Flights have a full layer of whatever stuff they are using. Almost just has an inlay. Flights also use one less veneer. In my opinion Powell makes a superior product. I have had around 5 flight decks and probably 10 of the impacts. I have a VX on deck. Will report back.
let me know too I would like to try a VX deck.
Dueces Bitch's

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 05:14:00 PM »
If I’m going to buy a gimmick which gimmick should I buy?
Gonna need to spray paint it no matter which decision you make so just go buy your favorite pros board even if it’s the wrong size

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 05:18:04 PM »
i think the powell one is really different.. ive had a few impact boards when my friend was riding for almost and i never noticed a difference.. the powell flight one is as thin as an iphone and seems way thinner then a usual board.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
BONITE OR BUST BRAH

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 06:02:07 PM »
BONITE OR BUST BRAH
I am pretty sure they created the flight out of sheer guilt for boneite
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

AngryBlackMan

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 06:07:02 PM »
I've had all 3 and I prefer the impact light.

The Powell flight and the VX felt similar. They wouldn't break but both still felt a little flexy after a while. The impact feels stiffer, it's cheaper, and I think its more chip resistant. They all razor tail at the same rate.

Haven't had a P2 in almost 9yrs.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 04:45:04 AM »
Expand Quote
BONITE OR BUST BRAH
[close]
I am pretty sure they created the flight out of sheer guilt for boneite

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
so do they all prevent the same types of board breakage (like downward breakage from stomping too hard on the middle or tail/nose,  or upward breakage from say a lipslide on a rail)?

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 08:20:21 PM »
I don't believe in anything other than 7 ply

Donald Rump

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2019, 02:03:17 AM »
I tried Flight and Impact Light and prefer the Impact Light, I skated both shapes of the Flight in 8.25 but I find the concave and kicks too mellow. The Impact Light with medium concave a kicks feels a lot nicer to me.

Impact Light feels more like 7ply, and is way cheaper. Things I liked about the Flights, they are light and have nice pop, though do flex a fair bit.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
What are boards with shit graphics alex
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 11:11:10 PM »
George powell is incapable of making decks.  The foil (thats the concave and kick and possibly rocker) on them is always shit. Everything Bones is sweet but the boards are LAME imo.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 07:48:14 AM »
Id agree with that statement less the flight decks, they are pretty good boards, if Powell made them in China and could replicate the same boards and charge the same price I think the masses would be down with it.  There are a ton of people who actually don't go through boards or commonly break them and these boards make a difference. 

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 10:15:27 AM »
Don't forget LibTech Cockroach Construction

https://www.lib-tech.com/skateboard-technology

I am skating a 9.25" Lib Tech that the deck weighs the same as my 8.06" Real.   It's snappy and has a great deep concave.  Super happy with it.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »

I am skating a 9.25" Lib Tech that the deck weighs the same as my 8.06" Real.   It's snappy and has a great deep concave.  Super happy with it.

You got the Jamie Lynn Rat Tail? Shape looks rad and I actually like the graphics too. Lib Tech usually have the absolute worst graphics. Is the tail really 7.25"? dimensions seem off with a 32.5" length, 15" wheelbase and 7.25" nose and tail. Can't be bothered to figure out if that adds up but I'm feeling like it doesn't.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 11:07:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You got the Jamie Lynn Rat Tail? Shape looks rad and I actually like the graphics too. Lib Tech usually have the absolute worst graphics. Is the tail really 7.25"? dimensions seem off with a 32.5" length, 15" wheelbase and 7.25" nose and tail. Can't be bothered to figure out if that adds up but I'm feeling like it doesn't.

Yes - Rat Tail.  I think the tail is 6.75 as is the nose (although I didn't measure), and the WB is 15".  I redrilled mine back to a 14.6" Wb so I have a 7.1ish nose.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks. That's a cool looking deck for sure. I'd like to test one out but paying 90€ for a deck is a bit much and I really don't need any more decks for a good while so maybe it's not gonna happen. 🤔

[close]

Yes - Rat Tail.  I think the tail is 6.75 as is the nose (although I didn't measure), and the WB is 15".  I redrilled mine back to a 14.6" Wb so I have a 7.1ish nose.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »

Thanks. That's a cool looking deck for sure. I'd like to test one out but paying 90€ for a deck is a bit much and I really don't need any more decks for a good while so maybe it's not gonna happen. 🤔

I picked it up for $25 on sale and figured it would be something I skated occasionally - I have about 6 setups from 8"  up to 8.75".  Instead, I have skated it 95% of the time since I bought it.  Super fun.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I picked it up for $25 on sale and figured it would be something I skated occasionally - I have about 6 setups from 8"  up to 8.75".  Instead, I have skated it 95% of the time since I bought it.  Super fun.

That’s a great deal. If I ever come across one for cheap as that I’ll surely snatch it up.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »
Dueces Bitch's

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2020, 06:00:20 AM »
Just picked up a flight deck the other day. It doesn't feel weird or anything. It's the Salman Agah, which is not the worst graphic they have. I looked at some VX boards and the graphics were somehow worse. They also had really steep concave for my taste. Crail just launched Pop Secret. I guess if I had waited I would have tried that one.
No.

Schinken

• Rep: 66
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2020, 09:21:48 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but did you also notice more torsional flex compared to standard 7 ply decks? I've got the feeling, that my flight deck is not as stiff as my normal deck. It feels like I'm getting speedwhobbles more early :o

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2020, 09:44:23 AM »
i did have some speed wobbles, but I also set up new trucks so I was figuring they were causing that.
No.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2020, 11:58:28 AM »
Someone has to review Girl's Pop Secret deck now