Author Topic: Fakie tailslide question solved?  (Read 8694 times)

Olabade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -46
Re: Fakie tailslide question solved?
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This works for the fakie crook, but there’s still one point of contradiction when using this logic for the fakie Ollie to (regular) back tail. The backside in backside tailslide refers only to the orientation to the ledge before locking in, it has no bearing on the direction of the slide or what the slide looks like. So if you fakie Ollie with your front facing the ledge, and the ledge isn’t behind you before you lock in, it’s a contradiction to say that it’s a backside trick at any point.

It’s fine that this is the generally accepted name, but there’s no denying there’s some logical inconsistency to it. If the ledge isn’t behind you before you get in, it by definition cannot be a backside trick. It makes much more sense to call it a fakie front tail as it’s literally a frontside tailslide done in reverse, just like a fakie front 5-0 is a front 5-0 done in reverse.
[close]

I have to disagree here. The opposite of frontside is backside, not fakie. Fakie is the opposite of forwards, which is sideways body-wise. The reason a fakie 5-0 is fakie is because you are going fakie. The reason a fakie tail slide is fakie can only be because of the stance you enter it in because you are moving laterally with respect to the board, not forwards or backwards. I hope that makes sense.

To me a tailslide is backside because you are not facing the direction of travel, frontside because you are. In the original form of the trick it was probably called frontsdie and backside tailslide because of how you turned to get into it. Its confusing here though because none of that applies to boardslides, perhaps because they are a very primitive trick maybe developed first on transition.
[close]

I neither said nor implied that the opposite of frontside is fakie. There's no denying that a the fakie tail we're debating is geometrically the same as a front tail, except all motions in reverse which is why it would be very simple and coherent to call it a fakie front tail. This would also make the naming consistent with fakie front nosegrind and fakie front 5-0.

I understand your point about moving laterally with respect to the board, that is fine. However when you say that to you a tailslide is backside because you're not facing the direction of travel, you're completely throwing away the universally accepted definition of backside/frontside for ledge tricks, which is body orientation. By doing this, you're opening up a whole new can of worms. Why should your rule only apply to tailslides/lipslides/noseblunts? If we go by your definition for slide tricks (lateral motions), we'd have to call backside noseslides frontside, and frontside bluntslides backside etc. Having to make arbitrary exceptions is inefficient and leads to confusion.

All this really could be so simple. When new skaters are confused as to why a frontside boardslide isn't called backside, we tell them that the way you face when you slide is irrelevant, and it's your orientation relative to the obstacle before getting in that matters.

Why should this be different for fakie? You roll up to the ledge fakie, it's in front of you, you pop off your tail and slide on your tail. Fakie frontside tailslide, so straightforward. No rules broken, no contradictions.
[close]

Just name the basic part of the trick as it would be called if you just ollied into it. Then put the rest in front. Works fine.

For example riding fakie with the ledge behind you. Cab to nose slide is fs nose despite the starting position or that imaginary rewind thing that somehow has creeped into trick naming.

Riding regular with the ledge in front of you. Fs Ollie into switch 5050->it’s bs for same reasons.
[close]

The problem with this is, the basic part of some tricks can't be regular ollie into. Consider a fakie frontside 5-0, there's no way you can do a regular ollie into a fakie 5-0. Which is why people either a) name the basic part of the trick as it would be if you switched ollied into it, (fakie ollie to switch nosegrind) or b) just name the trick the what it would be if the complete motion of the trick was reversed and you were rolling forwards. (fakie 5-0)

Now if we "just name the basic part of the trick as it would be called if you just ollied into it", we're going to need two sets of rules: One set of rules for tricks that can't be regular ollied into eg fakie 5-0 (for some these we're going to have to pretend we switch ollie into resulting in even more confusion, or just label them as what the trick would be if the rolling direction were regular). One set of rules for tricks where you can "regular ollie into", but this sometimes involving breaking the frontside/backside rule: "A grind/slide is fs or bs depends on your orientation to the obstacle before getting into the trick."

The two examples you gave aren't very compelling because they both involve a turn of 180 degrees or more which physically changes or orientation relative to the ledge before you lock in, whereas a fakie tail involves a 90 degree turn at most and doesn't change your orientation relative to the ledge before you start sliding. I'll copy and paste what I said in the previous page with regards to someone giving a similar example:

"Consider a backside half cab backside 5050, I'm sure you know what trick I'm referring to, no confusion. Sure, you roll up to the ledge with your front facing it. However, notice I say "orientation to the obstacle before GETTING INTO the trick". You do a half cab, and before you lock into the grind, the ledge is behind you. It doesn't matter that the ledge is in front when you roll up, the trick into the grind (which changes your orientation) hasn't even occured yet. Hence half cab to backside 5050."

Well easiest way to get into the trick then. Before you lock into a back tail (no matter what trick you did to get into it) the ledge (the part of the ledge you are gonna slide on) is definitely behind you.

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
While we're putting our dumbest ideas out for public consumption here's mine: it's always bothered me that for slides (nose tail blunt board lip), we skip over shuv straight to bigspin, which obviously should involve your body doing a 180. So, include the rotation out of the slide as part of the trick in: bigspin back tails (always goes to fakie) vs shuv it back tail (always to regular). Or front shuv front lip (always to regular) vs front big front lip (same thing but to fakie).

I thought this was a good idea until i started pondering things like hardflip back tail, like if done back to regular, fine, no problem, but if done to fakie does it become a ghetto bird back tail? Yeah, no thanks. Also it gets weird for really bad tricks, like a regular pop shuv to front lip. TLDR: no one change anything we're set in our illogical ways.

I was thinking about the bigspin vs. shuvit thing the other day. I was relearning noseslide bigspins and recalled that nobody called them that back when I learned them the first time. I would have called it bigspin if it spins 270, body spins, 90, and you land to fakie--but not back to forward (which is now the norm). This is an entire area that could use some nomenclatural revamping.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2019, 10:14:51 AM »
... And they say the only stupid questions are those that go unasked.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2019, 10:15:51 AM »
^^ Thanks man, honestly can't believe this is a three-page thread and going. Then again I probably butcher some trick names all the time as well. Couldn't explain the differences between certain invert tricks to save my life. Names aren't that serious anyway, tricks are physical, visual, sound and form, not just mathematics. If one can communicate what they mean then everything else is unnecessary.

tzhangdox: The way I've always read it, you can totally ollie into fakie 5-0's and that's exactly what happens when you frontside or backside 180 into them, effectively making them 180 fakie 5-0's and not 180 'switch nosegrinds'. Switch nosegrind is reserved to normal looking nosegrinds in your unusual stance where you logically pop off a switch ollie to get onto the ledge, or coping, etc.

When did the term suski grind come about? K grinds and fakie ollie sw K had to be around first in modern skating not as far as doing but as far as naming the tricks is concerned - pretty sure for a while the suski grind was just a 5-0. Makes sense that for the lack of a better term, 'fakie ollie (into) sw K' stuck before suski grinds were named that and gained a resurgence in popularity (personally I don't recall magazines running that name till the early 2000's, but I'm in Europe, name was probably in use for a few years already). Plus honestly, 'fakie ollie switch K' sounds G as fuck. 'Fakie suski' would sound like you're just botching a willy grind type of maneuver, barely sounds like a real trick, the grind probably feels a lot different too.

Yeah. I don't have a problem with fakie crook being short for fakie ollie to sw crook, I think it works and the fakie to switch labelling is wholly appropriate for the situation, plus yes you could say fakie suski sounds kind of weird. We're on the same page for 180 fakie 5-0s etc, I was just saying you obviously can't do a regular straight ollie as was originally implied in that scenario. Obviously you can 180 into them fine.

Sativa Lung

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2019, 10:16:44 AM »
Some of you need to teach some skate lessons. The act of riding fakie is a trick, it's not a stance.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This works for the fakie crook, but there’s still one point of contradiction when using this logic for the fakie Ollie to (regular) back tail. The backside in backside tailslide refers only to the orientation to the ledge before locking in, it has no bearing on the direction of the slide or what the slide looks like. So if you fakie Ollie with your front facing the ledge, and the ledge isn’t behind you before you lock in, it’s a contradiction to say that it’s a backside trick at any point.

It’s fine that this is the generally accepted name, but there’s no denying there’s some logical inconsistency to it. If the ledge isn’t behind you before you get in, it by definition cannot be a backside trick. It makes much more sense to call it a fakie front tail as it’s literally a frontside tailslide done in reverse, just like a fakie front 5-0 is a front 5-0 done in reverse.
[close]

I have to disagree here. The opposite of frontside is backside, not fakie. Fakie is the opposite of forwards, which is sideways body-wise. The reason a fakie 5-0 is fakie is because you are going fakie. The reason a fakie tail slide is fakie can only be because of the stance you enter it in because you are moving laterally with respect to the board, not forwards or backwards. I hope that makes sense.

To me a tailslide is backside because you are not facing the direction of travel, frontside because you are. In the original form of the trick it was probably called frontsdie and backside tailslide because of how you turned to get into it. Its confusing here though because none of that applies to boardslides, perhaps because they are a very primitive trick maybe developed first on transition.
[close]

I neither said nor implied that the opposite of frontside is fakie. There's no denying that a the fakie tail we're debating is geometrically the same as a front tail, except all motions in reverse which is why it would be very simple and coherent to call it a fakie front tail. This would also make the naming consistent with fakie front nosegrind and fakie front 5-0.

I understand your point about moving laterally with respect to the board, that is fine. However when you say that to you a tailslide is backside because you're not facing the direction of travel, you're completely throwing away the universally accepted definition of backside/frontside for ledge tricks, which is body orientation. By doing this, you're opening up a whole new can of worms. Why should your rule only apply to tailslides/lipslides/noseblunts? If we go by your definition for slide tricks (lateral motions), we'd have to call backside noseslides frontside, and frontside bluntslides backside etc. Having to make arbitrary exceptions is inefficient and leads to confusion.

All this really could be so simple. When new skaters are confused as to why a frontside boardslide isn't called backside, we tell them that the way you face when you slide is irrelevant, and it's your orientation relative to the obstacle before getting in that matters.

Why should this be different for fakie? You roll up to the ledge fakie, it's in front of you, you pop off your tail and slide on your tail. Fakie frontside tailslide, so straightforward. No rules broken, no contradictions.
[close]

Just name the basic part of the trick as it would be called if you just ollied into it. Then put the rest in front. Works fine.

For example riding fakie with the ledge behind you. Cab to nose slide is fs nose despite the starting position or that imaginary rewind thing that somehow has creeped into trick naming.

Riding regular with the ledge in front of you. Fs Ollie into switch 5050->it’s bs for same reasons.
[close]

The problem with this is, the basic part of some tricks can't be regular ollie into. Consider a fakie frontside 5-0, there's no way you can do a regular ollie into a fakie 5-0. Which is why people either a) name the basic part of the trick as it would be if you switched ollied into it, (fakie ollie to switch nosegrind) or b) just name the trick the what it would be if the complete motion of the trick was reversed and you were rolling forwards. (fakie 5-0)

Now if we "just name the basic part of the trick as it would be called if you just ollied into it", we're going to need two sets of rules: One set of rules for tricks that can't be regular ollied into eg fakie 5-0 (for some these we're going to have to pretend we switch ollie into resulting in even more confusion, or just label them as what the trick would be if the rolling direction were regular). One set of rules for tricks where you can "regular ollie into", but this sometimes involving breaking the frontside/backside rule: "A grind/slide is fs or bs depends on your orientation to the obstacle before getting into the trick."

The two examples you gave aren't very compelling because they both involve a turn of 180 degrees or more which physically changes or orientation relative to the ledge before you lock in, whereas a fakie tail involves a 90 degree turn at most and doesn't change your orientation relative to the ledge before you start sliding. I'll copy and paste what I said in the previous page with regards to someone giving a similar example:

"Consider a backside half cab backside 5050, I'm sure you know what trick I'm referring to, no confusion. Sure, you roll up to the ledge with your front facing it. However, notice I say "orientation to the obstacle before GETTING INTO the trick". You do a half cab, and before you lock into the grind, the ledge is behind you. It doesn't matter that the ledge is in front when you roll up, the trick into the grind (which changes your orientation) hasn't even occured yet. Hence half cab to backside 5050."
[close]

Well easiest way to get into the trick then. Before you lock into a back tail (no matter what trick you did to get into it) the ledge (the part of the ledge you are gonna slide on) is definitely behind you.

Not exactly. When I say orientation relative to the ledge before getting into a trick, I'm obviously referring to the most recent PARALLEL orientation before getting in, either your front or back. If you're referring to the millisecond before your tail hits the ledge, then strictly speaking for all slide tricks, the ledge is on the side of you, neither in front or behind. For example, a regular person doing a front tail, before you lock in, the ledge is on the right side of you when you lock in, not in front of you because your body is perpendicular to the ledge. The ledge orientation before locking in is referring to the most recent parallel orientation, otherwise you're going to open another giant can of worms and your nomenclature is going to get even messier. Also, 'easiest' way to get into something can be very subjective.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:23:04 AM by tzhangdox »

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not exactly. When I say orientation relative to the ledge before getting into a trick, I'm obviously referring to the most recent PARALLEL orientation before getting in, either your front or back. If you're referring to the millisecond before your tail hits the ledge, then strictly speaking for all slide tricks, the ledge is on the side of you, neither in front or behind. For example, a regular person doing a front tail, before you lock in, the ledge is on the right side of you when you lock in, not in front of you because your body is perpendicular to the ledge. The ledge orientation before locking in is referring to the most recent parallel orientation, otherwise you're going to open another giant can of worms and your nomenclature is going to get even messier. Also, 'easiest' way to get into something can be very subjective.

If you take into account the fact that you are moving the ledge is behind you. You are of course free to call tricks what ever you will. What do you call a fakie Ollie to fs bluntslide?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2019, 10:37:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

If you take into account the fact that you are moving the ledge is behind you. You are of course free to call tricks what ever you will. What do you call a fakie Ollie to fs bluntslide?

"If you take into account the fact that you are moving the ledge is behind you." - uh what are you saying? I guess you're trying to say that if the skater keeps his shoulders parallel to the ledge mid slide and this the ledge is behind you? But my back tails are shit and sometimes I can't line my shoulders up perfectly that way. And what if they are sliding out to fakie and turn their shoulders more? Then they're sideways to the ledge and maybe before popping out, for brief moment the ledge is in front of them. This is the problem with the way you're trying to reason it out, it's overly complicated and you have to make all kinds of exceptions for people doing tricks differently etc. None of these issues exist if the fs/bs is referring to your most recent parallel orientation to the ledge before getting in which is the commonly accepted definition.

"What do you call a fakie Ollie to fs bluntslide?" - the one that looks like a nollie back noseblunt? I usually say frontside half cab blunt to avoid confusion. However if I'm trying to be pedantic, I would call it a fakie backside bluntslide because geometrically speaking, it's a backside bluntslide except you're rolling backwards during the whole thing. You roll up fakie, the ledge is behind you, you pop into a blunt = fakie back blunt. So much simpler and less contradictory than 'fakie ollie to fs bluntslide.'
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:43:10 AM by tzhangdox »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2019, 12:20:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
OP what stance is this?

Fakie backside tail! Lol just playing

Reverse doggy style
[close]

So...missionary?
[close]

FS Cowgirl if they’re left handed with a dominant right leg. Get it the fuck together dude.

That's so heteronormative! It's not the 90s anymore. Not cool. Frontside cowperson is the preferred nomenclature these days.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
Some of you need to teach some skate lessons. The act of riding fakie is a trick, it's not a stance.

I'm imagining your bag of tricks right now. Fakie. Kick turn. Mall grab. Tic-tac. Switch mall grab.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2019, 06:53:17 PM »
Thank god most of these tricks are done no more than nine times a year and there's virtually no need to verbalize tricks....

cherrypepsi

• Rep: 3
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2019, 01:55:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm imagining your bag of tricks right now. Fakie. Kick turn. Mall grab. Tic-tac. Switch mall grab.

Imagine playing a game of skate against this dude.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »

Sativa Lung

« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You guys have never skated anything steep 😂 It's ok tho

thebacker

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2019, 08:22:53 AM »
who?

cherrypepsi

• Rep: 3
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2019, 12:41:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

this dude's first trick in skate is rolling down the driveway switch 😖

Sativa Lung

« Reply #106 on: October 17, 2019, 01:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

this dude's first trick in skate is rolling down the driveway switch 😖

You don't come across as the skate or die type, but according to Grosso, Eddie Elguera is the early pioneer of fakie.

GeorgeCostanza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2019, 02:34:52 PM »
calling a fakie back tail a "fakie switch front noseslide" is in a similar realm of lunacy to cheetahsheets calling sammy montano the new ave
So Colllin have the same t-shirts, seven years by now, at least...

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
When you lock into said tailslide are you sliding backside like a regular backside tailside? If yes, then it’s fakie backside
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Snow in Florida

« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2019, 04:56:58 PM »
OP is on one

Who the fuck watches Toasty Ghost

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1221
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2019, 10:59:49 PM »
... And they say the only stupid questions are those that go unasked.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1221
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2019, 11:02:23 PM »
can we just continue with fakie tailslide. either way it’s done it’s still a fakie tailslide who gives a fuck