Author Topic: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?  (Read 27933 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Re: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »
In addition to my earlier statement. Skating ledges. Rolling up to ledges feel so foreign to me. I have no issues on flat bars or hand rails even hubbas(yes I know its essentially a ledge down something). But a flat ledge or a bench is like kryptonite. Only thing I feel comfortable on with ledges are crooks.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FOGDOG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 12:43:51 PM »
In skate life and real life - Travel more. I wasted way too many weekends getting hammered for no reason and sticking around in my comfort zone. 

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 12:45:07 PM »
In skate life and real life - Travel more. I wasted way too many weekends getting hammered for no reason and sticking around in my comfort zone.

That one for sure, I spent a ton of dumb money on shit I didn't need that could have been plane tickets.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2019, 01:37:57 PM »
I was mostly partying during my prime skate days and now I don’t party, skate but my legs aren’t what they used to be.
Just be cool you’re not going to get sponsored, nobody is going to remember your skating, get some good photos of yourself at cool spots with friends. Do whatever tricks you want on whatever board. Cruise more, figure out a way to make money that gives you free time. You are free to skate as little or as much as you want, you are free from any sort of competition with other skaters, you never have to film a trick ever again.

buns out

• Rep: 3
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2019, 02:24:40 PM »
Don’t party constantly because it’s a waste of time. Don’t jump down big shit because your body will turn against you in your late thirties. Don’t wear size 40 waist blind and new deal jeans with bob sized shirts because you look like an asshole.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 496
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 02:47:39 PM »
Spend more time skating ledges. Keep skating (I'd take long periods of time/years off skating because I'm busy or too immersed in something else). Don't get really drunk so you can almost, sort of skate on your ankle that obviously needs medical attention. Don't feel uncomfortable skating in front of lots of people you don't know; it's not like it matters if they know you or not.

All in all, I actually don't really regret much. I just got done skating like 20 minutes ago and it was fun. I think I like it more in the past few years than I have since in a long time. I'm not the best, but I never really aimed for that. It's just so much fun.

Sativa Lung

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2019, 02:52:37 PM »
I had older skaters around so getting proper advice happened all the time. I'm not into regret. So no regrets. I agree with the filmer comments earlier, be cautious heading into that world.

For skaters getting into their later years, treat skateboarding like exercise. Fuck landing a certain trick. The session is successful if you're breaking a good sweat. I forgot about this philosophy and it slowed me down skate wise for a few years. Mid-30's skateboard go to tricks are not like riding a bike, which super frustrating and will drive you to quit. Focus on getting a good workout and your body might be ready to try something hard.

Sticking too much with a certain crew. If you're not skating that much, sitting around debating where to go, where to eat, whose driving, random drama, all that bull shit...get the fuck outta there. Stay as friends but go skate with less people and get more shred time in. Still be homies with them, but if you're not progressing, bounce the fuck out.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »
I had older skaters around so getting proper advice happened all the time. I'm not into regret. So no regrets. I agree with the filmer comments earlier, be cautious heading into that world.

For skaters getting into their later years, treat skateboarding like exercise. Fuck landing a certain trick. The session is successful if you're breaking a good sweat. I forgot about this philosophy and it slowed me down skate wise for a few years. Mid-30's skateboard go to tricks are not like riding a bike, which super frustrating and will drive you to quit. Focus on getting a good workout and your body might be ready to try something hard.

Sticking too much with a certain crew. If you're not skating that much, sitting around debating where to go, where to eat, whose driving, random drama, all that bull shit...get the fuck outta there. Stay as friends but go skate with less people and get more shred time in. Still be homies with them, but if you're not progressing, bounce the fuck out.
That last paragraph is soooo true, I knew too many people who would just bitch and complain, thank fuck I always bailed and did my own shit.
Dueces Bitch's

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2019, 03:13:30 PM »
Let your ankle fully heal before you get back out there...
THIS SO VERY MUCH.
I was so OCD about not taking any time off, even if I could barely walk, I'd go skate again.  It's why I've sprained my left ankle nearly a dozen times and the right a few as well, once I fucked myself up the first time, I never ever let things heal properly and it just lead to being injured more often.  Never had proper flick because the front foot was always in bad shape, and it always pissed me off.

Years later, when I fucked up some ribs trying to switch 50-50 a knee high flat bar and went straight to my side on it, I actually took a few weeks off and found out it didn't ruin my life to stop skating long enough to heal properly.  I know it's hard to put the board away for a while since that shit's a drug in itself, but sometimes, taking extra time is a good thing.
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

El Nugjar

• Rep: -19
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2019, 03:53:27 PM »
To treat my body better, and fucking regular kickflips. Had nollie, switch, fakie but couldn’t do it regular. Shit took almost 10 years to learn, literally one day it just clicked and I was fucking blown away. Such a simple flick of the ankle, I couldn’t believe it took so long when it had been so simple. I make it a point to do at least one any time I get on my board just thinking “I fucking beat you kickflip”

Spankthemonkey

• Rep: -48
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
Who is Stefan janoski

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3290
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2019, 03:57:05 PM »
Don't stop skating to make time for smoking meth and dosing GHB.

animalflesh

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2019, 04:07:02 PM »
Have a warm up routine even if it’s like 10 minutes of Ollie’s and carving around

Wish I cared about that earlier

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2019, 04:07:44 PM »
One thing I always tell the younger kids around my area who are just starting is “learn to get real good at the easiest stuff first!”.  Basically meaning get comfortable pushing, cruising, power sliding... just as comfortable as you can on your board before you start trying to learn tricks.

I hate that I spent the first year of my skating trying to kick flip, 360 flip and nollie flip before I could even do a solid 180.  Often you watch the videos and think “I wanna do that!!” and you skip over all the basic parts.

And don’t get old... it really sucks

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2019, 04:09:16 PM »
not bein a BITCH

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2019, 04:12:48 PM »
Quit smoking.

ColinYourAssOut

• Rep: 13
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »
Don't stop skating to make time for smoking meth and dosing GHB.

Ah, there's always time to dose GHB after the session is done.  Gets you well-rested for the following day!

I miss that stuff, was the best sleep aid I ever used.
You can't beat cheeks with weak meat.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2019, 04:23:11 PM »
i wish i started skating earlier like at 4 or 5 instead of 13

cherrypepsi

• Rep: 3
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »
Step out of your comfort zone. It's really easy to go to the park and only do what you're good at all the time and look good. If you only skate ledges make sure you got your transition basics down. If you only skate gaps make sure you're comfortable with rails too. If you only do frontside tricks get comfortable with skating obstacles backside etc. etc. For example a lie I believed growing up as a ledge skater was that transition isn't useful for street skating. Until I would get to spots with my friends and I would be the only one who couldn't skate the bump to rail because i never learned to pump properly out of transition and milk big air out of steep bumps. It's all tied together, don't focus too much on a single aspect of skating.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
I rode soft wheels for too long

cheetahsheets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -581
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2019, 04:33:22 PM »
I would definitely have approached skateboarding way differently if I knew what I know now. Here’s things I would have definitely changed.
1. Learning to skate switch and pop off with my switch foot, and in general strengthening that front leg. I can’t skate switch to save my life. There’s a really good interview on Rodney with clothing in the winter on this specific issue and it’s definitely the truth.
2. Would have worked on skating and traveling to a bunch of parks, skating multiple parks allows for a low of beginners, medium, and advanced variations of obstacles, and more or less make u more well rounded. Skateboarding isn’t like a super gym where u can stay in one place and become the best.
3. I would have done a lot more basketball related workouts off of jumping on one leg, in basketball traditionally they jump off one leg, and basically any flip trick is jumping off one leg.
4. I would have mastered my entire flip trick game down stairs.
5. I would have skated transition more and worked on getting inverts and solid airs.
6. I would have spent more time getting ledge tricks fundamentals better, same goes with round flatbars.

Lots more stuff just can’t think off the top of my head. I wouldn’t say they are regrets but they definitely would have served me out better now.

Big Cat Clan ain’t nothin to fuck with

“Big Money
Big Cars
We living like Superstars”
TK 3:16

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2019, 04:35:01 PM »
Pretty good idea for a thread, there’s a lot of interesting responses.

-I wish I invested at least a little bit of time to learning how to skate transition.  My younger self just didn’t give a fuck about it for some reason.

-Fix all my little bad habits immediately instead of allowing them to ingrain themselves into my muscle memory.  It’s a hell of a lot easier to correct a trick you just learned versus one you’ve been doing for years.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 04:36:43 PM by SneakySecrets »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2019, 04:57:38 PM »
One thing I always tell the younger kids around my area who are just starting is “learn to get real good at the easiest stuff first!”.  Basically meaning get comfortable pushing, cruising, power sliding... just as comfortable as you can on your board before you start trying to learn tricks.

I hate that I spent the first year of my skating trying to kick flip, 360 flip and nollie flip before I could even do a solid 180.  Often you watch the videos and think “I wanna do that!!” and you skip over all the basic parts.

And don’t get old... it really sucks

Reminded me of a tattoo my childhood friend had, it was an hour glass and somehow incorporated a skateboard too that said NEVER GROW OLD. Lol. I hope he still skates.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
-Proper push
-Skate how you want, where you want, don't pressure yourself to follow trends.
-Loose wide, low to the ground board will help you. If I have to choose one lesson.
-Late (ie proper) grabs on vert.
-Frontisde slappies, smightgrinds and frontside rock and rolls aren't that hard, get busy with them.
-More hills.

What a find

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2019, 05:11:09 PM »
It never hurts to have a stack of napkins in your pocket if you're out of town or away from the car

Disenchant brands, people and shops. Figure out what you need in order to feel your skating (aligning to legitimate examples irl and skate related)

Real recognize real

dmemz

• Rep: 26
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2019, 05:18:11 PM »
A lot of the crucial time (for most) are those adolescent years that are just tough to navigate in general. I wish I had put more time on the board when I was in undergrad because I definitely had a lot of free time. I felt “old” at 19 but looking back I was my healthiest and most energetic.
Going faster as well, for all tricks, just less likely to hurt yourself

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2019, 05:23:36 PM »
To stretch. Not to be jumping down big shit. Such a waste. Buy some fucking thunders and stop buying shit trucks! Skate curbs. I was thought curbs weren't considered legit so I tried to learn EVERYTHING on almost knee high ledge. That limited me. Not be so serious.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2019, 05:28:30 PM »
I should have told myself back in community college that there’s always somewhere to skate. Campus was off limits but I could’ve gone to any parking lot in that podunk-ass town and skated and I wouldn’t have been bothered. I just got depressed that I only skated once a week and I haven’t skated near as much since high school so I plateaued.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2019, 05:34:32 PM »
don't bring your camera to the skatepark EVERY TIME because everyone will ask you to film them and then you'll get stuck in a vicious cycle of going to the skatepark and filming instead of skating roughly the entire time.

I did that for about 6 months around the age of 13 or 14 and got so burnt out on filming that i stopped bringing it to the park and not only enjoyed skating so much more but actually progressed where as the previous 6 months my ability stayed the same.

Oh and if you are a filmer and you spend a decent amount of your time on the streets filming, don't film iPhone clips when homies ask you unless nobody else is around. I spend enough time behind a lens as is and don't need to waste my time at a park or warm up spot holding an iPhone. I need to skate too! another homie can always film iphone clips

I feel this so much. I became the skatepark "filmer" back when I was 16 and I regret it so much. People will still hit me up every time I'm in my hometown to film them for some video they're either doing or want me to do. It gets aggravating especially when you just want to skate a spot and you know it's going to take them forever or they're not gonna land the trick. Nowadays I just want to skate and have a good time.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »
I wish I’d learned to be more comfortable going backside on ledges early on.

I’d tell myself that going fast and grinding and sliding  is way more fun than trying anything from New Deal’s “Whatever” while barely rolling.