Author Topic: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?  (Read 27925 times)

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Re: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2019, 06:19:53 AM »
Improving in small increments over a long period of time will get you a lot better and is more fun than going nuts trying to do stuff way beyond your current level. I used to get so frustrated when I was a kid that I couldn’t see myself making big leaps in skill.

Yu Dum

« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2019, 08:23:53 AM »
I wish that I'd put more effort into learning grinds and slides other than a front board/front board fakie.
Also, wish I could go back to my early teenage years and slap myself for thinking that only kickflips and 360 flips mattered.
Oh, and don't fucking kick out and try to land on your feet or you will completely shatter your meniscus and ACL.

Far from relevant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2019, 08:47:13 AM »
Have fun and also if you get a serious injury let it heal properly and go to physical therapy.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2019, 08:54:46 AM »
Someone said it earlier but running out on transition kills your knees in the long run. Running out of anything is probably worse than slamming or rolling if you want to be an ambulatory older person.

Wish I hadn’t believed kickflips were impossible and resisted the switch to popsicle shapes for three years.

Cousin Avi

• Rep: -2
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2019, 09:01:50 AM »
Exercise and jump rope before skate sessions... and everything you throw will spin and it's on your most inmediate duty to figure it out if you can land on top of your board or try it again... or as I would say to the youngsters "less Luan and more Gino"... it's all about the substance of the sessions, not the circus tricks you put on them.

EAT PUSSY!

• Rep: 29
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2019, 09:36:12 AM »
not worry about fucking my griptape.

D10S

• Rep: -51
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2019, 10:24:01 AM »
I wish I'd known that at best we only have 20 summers at a decent skate level.

Say you start at 15, by 17 you've already handled the basics, the from 17-37 you will have your most fertile phases.

From then on it's low impact skating and trying not to forget tricks.

20 summers.

And then it's over.

Little Debbie

« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2019, 10:44:25 AM »
Learning how to bail properly.

Be smart about choosing your battles.

Don't force it if it's not making sense today.

Be intentional with what you do; I often got injuries when I was just dorking around.

Get your gear dialed, figure out what you like and stick with it. When you look down at your clothes/board, you should be happy and feel confident like you know what you're doing.

Watch closely how other people set up for tricks and don't be afraid to play around with how you set up for things.

Sometimes the tiniest adjustments (put your foot more in the pocket, don't dip your head, get a little wind-up before, pay attention to shoulders and hips, keep your weight on the balls of your feet or toes) make a huge difference.

It's not what you do, it's how you do it (and how that compares to how you visualized yourself doing it)

Visualization in the first place: see yourself doing it and walk through how it will feel when you're doing it.

Pay attention to your back foot (on flip tricks).

Most importantly, do everything you can to avoid long-term frustration and getting upset with yourself. Do the little things that feel good to you and push yourself strategically on only a few tricks (i like the Cab rule of 3 tricks, never heard of that), trying things that are within your ballpark.

Jump WITH the board.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 10:49:09 AM by Little Debbie »

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2019, 10:49:02 AM »
yo Shauna
mArLeY

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2019, 10:55:31 AM »

Say you start at 15, by 17 you've already handled the basics, the from 17-37 you will have your most fertile phases.

20 summers.

And then it's over.

I disagree, because I hope I will have a few more summers than that. I am 34 now and I regularly skate with a friend who is 43. He's still got it and I have seen him improve in the past two years. I don't think he is as good as he was in his twenties, though...

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2019, 11:02:45 AM »

This should be a sign on the front door of every skate shop. Re-gripping kids' boards is a nightmare.

I used charge the parent's a 5 dollar service fee for pulling off the grip and adding new grip.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

D10S

• Rep: -51
  • la patineta no se mancha
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »
Expand Quote

20 summers.

And then it's over.
[close]

I disagree, because I hope I will have a few more summers than that. I am 34 now and I regularly skate with a friend who is 43. He's still got it and I have seen him improve in the past two years. I don't think he is as good as he was in his twenties, though...

yeah, it varies. there's tony hawk at 50 or salba, who's like... 61? point is, I just wish I'd been more aware of the time frame we have to learn, progress and enjoy skating without chronic injuries/pain or the unavoidable degeneration the body endures past 40...

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »
To not be so concerned with being "good" and to just have fun with it. Sometimes when you're too concerned with being good you get so engulfed in that that it loses its fun, you start getting bummed on yourself for not having this trick or that trick, etc.
I mean obviously you have to put some sort of care into getting good otherwise you're never going to progress, but it's just so much more fun when you don't really give a shit and let the progression come naturally as opposed to trying to force it.
I have way more fun now in my late 20s/almost early 30s just cruising around than I did as a stubborn teenager who HAD to do 100 fs flips a day because "I missed five in a row just a second ago so that means I don't have them on lock anymore" because I had to "get good".

Mount St. Hermdog

• Rep: 10
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This should be a sign on the front door of every skate shop. Re-gripping kids' boards is a nightmare.

I used charge the parent's a 5 dollar service fee for pulling off the grip and adding new grip.

The shop locals taught me in fourth grade how to get the Target grip off with a hairdryer and hooked me up some real grip when I did it

Little Debbie

« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2019, 05:56:57 PM »
develop a really strong core. it helps so much with popping higher and later in life, it saves you a lot of back pain

also i don't really know how to put it, but you want to have very sensitive feet when you approach your board, in my mind, similar to how a really good soccer player approaches the ball with their feet, light touch, finesse

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #135 on: October 18, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »
Something as simple as dropping in, I put it off for years just because I was intimidated by it and built it up to be some big scary thing when really its so fun and simple when you get out of your own head

Little Debbie

« Reply #136 on: October 18, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »
Something as simple as dropping in, I put it off for years just because I was intimidated by it and built it up to be some big scary thing when really its so fun and simple when you get out of your own head
rolling in over coping is also a very useful thing to learn

Snow in Florida

« Reply #137 on: October 18, 2019, 07:04:32 PM »
20 summers.

And then it's over.

)':

Microforrest

• Rep: -19
« Reply #138 on: October 18, 2019, 07:21:21 PM »
I wish I didn't drop and pick up skating so much in my younger years and just stuck with it, I'd be 10x more comfortable on the board and I wouldn't have to relearn so many tricks again.

develop a really strong core.
this is another great one, also to not hunch over.
Olympic athletes have diets and train really hard.
Skateboarders eat candy, talk shit, and drink arizona iced teas.

Registered Sex Offender

• Rep: 0
« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2019, 07:33:27 PM »
listen to more jeru the damaja

Prison Wallet

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
  • I'm gonna break my leg off in your ass
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »
Great thread.

I wish I could trade the jumping down stuff for learning new flatground. Also wish I would have pulled the trigger on dropping in on a legit vert ramp the few times I had the chance.

WastedHippy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2019, 10:15:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
rolling in over coping is also a very useful thing to learn

For sure, things that seem like they should be taken for granted can take some time to overcome the mental barrier of just doing it without holding back

fl1ppy

• Rep: 1
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2019, 10:56:39 AM »
Skate the nose if your tail lost its pop.
Don't buy cheap shoes.
A shitty flat ground session on rough asphalt isn't worth razor tailing your new deck.
Skate parks aren't lame, they're literally the best place to progress faster.
Don't neglect tricks because you can do one variation easier. (It feels pathetic that I can f/s 50-50 a hubba, but can barely b/s 50-50 a curb.)
Skate switch more.
Skate more.

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2019, 11:10:12 AM »
I spent the first few years skating big gaps and handrails. Should of been at the park skating a ledge but I guess its cool to have jumped when I could

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2019, 12:11:29 PM »
Skate video parts are not filmed in a day, many of the stunts that I used as a measuring stick are a testament of time and commitment.

I was better than I realized, I should have skated more and partied less.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
All the tricks
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
1. Don't get stressed when you're younger and your crew is filled with sponsored rippers...they're your buddies not some evil competition.
2. Skate transition..as now that you're in your 40s there's going to be parks EVERYWHERE.
3. Follow the old Cab rule of "work on 3 tricks at a time" and get them dialed in. Build from that.

I’ve never heard that Cab rule but it’s brilliant.

I don’t really regret anything, just wish I would have spent more time getting consistent on tricks. More or less, now I do the same 10-15 tricks to get more consistent. I try to do them in lines, and usually try to learn a new trick if I see a homie trying something I like. I also like what was said about making excuses for ourselves if we want it bad enough you can do any trick you want.

ohnowisee

• Rep: -2
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2019, 04:52:10 PM »
Everybody saying to just have fun and not worry about how far everyone else in your group is progressing or how others at the park/spot might be better than you.  That's so important.  I grew up with dudes that could land tricks after a couple tries and I was just never that person.  I gave up on skating and trying to follow it around 2003, just randomly checking in and going in to a shop every so often just for nostalgia or spending 10 minutes at a park and then leaving. Finally, I started skating around town and my buddy built a mini ramp like 10 years later.  Stopped after we all moved on for like 5 years. Now, I've been skating at least once a week and try to swing by shops when I travel just to talk about local hangs, skating, whatever.  I've been collecting stuff from shops, wall hangers and just appreciating being able to ride around and ollie sewer caps, up a curb or even a mini session on a bank.
Ilford is way more core than Kodak - natenola forever

Raccoon Manne

• Rep: -48
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2019, 05:23:09 PM »
It's crazy that we easily look down on our selves for not doing the most extreme shit but at the end of the day an ollie up a curb or over a sewer cap is amazing... Never forget that slapbros

BrockSamson

• Rep: 3
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2019, 07:09:27 PM »
I probably spent the first few months of my young skateboarding career skating switch, because I thought "goofy" was code for backwards.