Author Topic: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?  (Read 27936 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?
« Reply #240 on: February 02, 2020, 10:42:09 AM »
How to get along with others while skating.

I get bummed by civilians talking to me while im skating
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

camel filters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2020, 09:03:00 AM »
Bumping because there was a bunch of posts that I missed since I last checked. Completely forgot I started this thread and read through almost every one now. Just want to say thank you all. Been a bit down on my skating lately and this was a good pick me up to read. Cheers all.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2020, 09:04:34 AM »
Probably replied in here before but:
1) Enjoy that care free time when young, it goes away
2) Enjoy those ankles while young, they go away

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #243 on: October 09, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
That there’s no point in practicing forward-facing, obstacle-less ollies nonstop. I would’ve had an easier time getting consistent straight ollies up/over stuff after getting past the fear and probably wouldn’t have ragequit after 2 years
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:18:06 AM by Fernandito »

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2020, 09:11:02 AM »
To justify the bumping I guess I should also offer something I've realized lately:

Don't dedicate your entire session to one trick if it's not feeling good at all. It's been ruining sessions lately and I think it also doesn't help you learn/perfect that trick if you're mentally not feeling it.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2020, 09:16:23 AM »
g$ = ski tem

mArLeY

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2020, 09:47:23 AM »
Probably replied in here before but:
1) Enjoy that care free time when young, it goes away
2) Enjoy those ankles while young, they go away

God. These.

And that if I take time off skating, I won’t lose tricks, I’ll just lose the ability to feel comfortable riding around on a board, which is far worse.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Sluggloaph

• Rep: 25
« Reply #247 on: October 09, 2020, 09:47:58 AM »
I really genuinely believed that you just either had it or didn't skate wise. So I figured since I couldn't tre I didn't have it. Which meant unfulfilled sessions, non stop bailing, and a weird "I'm into running" fitness thing instead of skating.
All that is to say, as mentioned elsewhere, you gotta skate. It's not even like practice, but you gotta do it. If you don't stay with it and try, yer a 30 sumthing gimp who most likely will never tre.

Also ,banned, my man. Bummed when civilians try and talk to you is amazing, thank you.
Whoa. Danger.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #248 on: October 09, 2020, 09:56:46 AM »
Powerslides. Wish I would've learned them before I learned to ollie cuz dam they're fun

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #249 on: October 09, 2020, 12:31:12 PM »
Going fast and being comfortable tucking and rolling out of bails, is safer than going slow and actually makes a lot of stuff easier. I didn't know this as a teenager.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #250 on: February 21, 2021, 08:47:59 PM »
Wish I knew that if you stop lifting weights it turns to fat. Havent felt right on a board since...

fuck heavy lifting

maybe its because your eating like your bulking and not lifting?
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
« Reply #251 on: February 21, 2021, 08:50:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Wish I knew that if you stop lifting weights it turns to fat. Havent felt right on a board since...

fuck heavy lifting
[close]

maybe its because your eating like your bulking and not lifting?

feel free to kook me...

making the most of your pop, tuck those legs, jump with your upperbody
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #252 on: February 21, 2021, 08:59:41 PM »
I really genuinely believed that you just either had it or didn't skate wise. So I figured since I couldn't tre I didn't have it. Which meant unfulfilled sessions, non stop bailing, and a weird "I'm into running" fitness thing instead of skating.
All that is to say, as mentioned elsewhere, you gotta skate. It's not even like practice, but you gotta do it. If you don't stay with it and try, yer a 30 sumthing gimp who most likely will never tre.

Also ,banned, my man. Bummed when civilians try and talk to you is amazing, thank you.

ya man, I know this sentiment. There was all sorts of stuff my mind limited me to when I was coming up skating, "I can't x,y,z because he's doing that and he's a better skater, so I won't even try" sorta thing. Now that I started skating again at 35, I've got all my old tricks back in a short time and I'm learning more new tricks in the past 5 months than in the past 10 or 15 years because I've realized that if someone else is doing, excluding stuff I can't do due to extreme physical conditions/limitations, it's probably possible for me to get somewhere close. And if it don't happen, it doesn't matter! just skate. keep pushing
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #253 on: February 21, 2021, 09:06:03 PM »
hanging on to old boards, wheels, and trucks is not stupid but throwing them in the trash is stupid and environmentally not ok

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #254 on: February 21, 2021, 09:26:17 PM »
To justify the bumping I guess I should also offer something I've realized lately:

Don't dedicate your entire session to one trick if it's not feeling good at all. It's been ruining sessions lately and I think it also doesn't help you learn/perfect that trick if you're mentally not feeling it.

makes sense to me, but literally the more kickflips i do the shitter they get it bums me out so hard

like probably 6 months ago i could do them every try basically, could do them into manual and fs5050. Now I go skate and land maybe 3 good ones in the entire session. I don't go hunting for them anymore every session like I used to but it sucks to see it get worse and worse all the time I just wish there was something I could do to make them suck less

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #255 on: February 21, 2021, 10:10:59 PM »
No tricks are illegal if you’re not sponsored/pro

rawbacon

• Rep: -10
« Reply #256 on: February 21, 2021, 10:28:18 PM »
yeah, but no one should ever call a backside hardflip a "ghetto bird"

Arto!Arto!WakeUp!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 185
« Reply #257 on: February 22, 2021, 02:54:00 AM »

i use this method, and it means i have a really weird relationship with learning tricks

i'll only sink a bunch of attempts into something if/when i'm feeling it

(as far as new tricks go, that is - existing ones i'll sweat myself to death to get a decent make)

as a result, i tend to learn tricks very slowly in terms of actual time, but quite quickly in terms of attempts

i'll typically learn a trick in around 100 tries, but the first 50 will be spread out over like ten years and the second fifty will be on that one afternoon where it finally felt good to go after it.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:54:26 AM by Arto!Arto!WakeUp! »

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #258 on: February 22, 2021, 04:59:59 AM »
Wish I had taken more time to let injuries healed before they caused long term damage, also maybe would've tried to eat a bit healthier and be more active outside skating.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #259 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:33 AM »
go fast and reeeelax

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #260 on: February 22, 2021, 06:49:40 AM »
I wish I learned that transition skating is alot easier if you are listening to a rythm/beat. I heard Ronnie talk about it on the 9 club, "once you find your rythm it's almost like you are unstoppable." I am skating by myself alot and it's hard to motivate yourself to stick shit when you are alone and scared. I bought a boombox and that thing is like having a couple homies on the session.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #261 on: February 22, 2021, 06:55:47 AM »
1. if you dont live in a big city the chances of getting "sponsored" are very very very slim.

2. if you don't move to a big city right after high school your chances of getting "sponsored" are very very very slim.

3. the cool kids most certainly arent cool.

4. when you hurt something QUIT SKATING TIL ITS HEALED

5. cherish the different crews, periods, phases, friends, filmers, clips.  People get busy and skating changes in your mid-late 20s.

6. Dont look up to the good kids your age.  Look up to the old guys that are 35 still skating.

pj chad

• Rep: 7
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2021, 09:11:08 AM »
This may be a controversial one, but studies show that a diet which contains meats is associated with higher circulating levels of GGT and hs-CRP. A simpler explanation is that these levels increase when there is inflammation in your body. Having higher inflammatory levels, in turn leads to delayed recovery and increased muscle soreness.

I'm 30, and I noticed that every single time I skated, I would get so sore that I'd have to rub arnicane all over my body, take multiple epsom salt baths, and if I was lucky after a few hours of skating I could skate 2-3 days later. I didn't think much of it, I figured that this was what comes with skating when you're older. After looking for more supplements to help with soreness, I ended up coming across a multitude of studies that show there is a positive correlation with eating meats and increased inflammatory levels in your body. The muscle pain is due to inflammation within the muscle, which is one of the main triggers for this muscle soreness.

I was at a point where I figured I have nothing really to lose, so 2 months ago I switched to a vegan diet (plant based with no food containing animal products whatsoever) and I really haven't looked back since. There's a plant based alternative for almost every food out there now, so making the switch wasn't as hard as I had anticipated. I skated for about 3 hours last night, and I woke up this morning ready to do that again tonight. For me it's a night and day difference.

For those of you who find reading the below studies boring, I highly recommend watching "The Game Changers" on Netflix.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5540319/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22426755/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30571591/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25365383/

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2021, 10:24:03 AM »
Footprint insoles work and if your feet are fucked up you should put them in everything
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

ballintoohard

« Reply #264 on: February 22, 2021, 10:39:39 AM »
If you’re young stop trying to one up friends and do your own thing, you’ll improve faster and actually develop your own tricks. The one thing I learned from friends that almost-made-it-but-didn’t is that they forced what they thought they should do and who they should be and they ended up with muted styles and trick selection.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #265 on: February 22, 2021, 11:22:08 AM »
skate for yourself

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #266 on: February 22, 2021, 12:52:17 PM »
fs boardslides to fakie are easier as usual fs boardslides.
still scary but easier. at least for me.
IG: @flowterspace

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #267 on: February 22, 2021, 01:34:28 PM »
Started to skate a year and a half ago at 19 after many years of interest towards skating and found a crew of oldheads who gave me much advice like the one in this thread, and that shit is a goldmine. Skating with old dude's is the best, youve got living encyclopedias that know every nook and cranny of a flip and what bearing swork best for wet weather, which wood you should ksate when on a budget...

Alot of stuff posted here you alos discover yourself i feel. Boredom is a big thing i relate to, fear is also a huge thing. I've improved in huge strides ever since i got rid of that doubt and fear when trying big stuff, most of the time the worst thing that can happen is a zipp out or a big bruise on your elbow

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
« Reply #268 on: February 22, 2021, 04:51:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, but no one should ever call a backside hardflip a "ghetto bird"

The real ghetto bird is a nollie hardflip bs 180. I don't know why people can't see this with their own eyes.

sweetlou

• Rep: 11
  • https://www.superduperskateboards.com/
    • superduperskateboards.com avatar image
Re: What is one thing that you wish you learnedHey sooner in your skate life?
« Reply #269 on: February 22, 2021, 07:08:08 PM »
Transition