Author Topic: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?  (Read 28038 times)

Trashcon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
Re: What is one thing that you wish you learned sooner in your skate life?
« Reply #300 on: February 24, 2021, 10:51:27 AM »
Taking stretching more serious. Didn't start to stretch until years after. I do a lot of it now but my level of skating is nowhere near my younger years.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #301 on: February 24, 2021, 10:52:53 AM »
let your injuries heal

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #302 on: February 24, 2021, 11:23:01 AM »
Shoulders are key to every fucking trick. I wish someone would have told 14 year old me

Hombreezy

« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:42 PM »
If skating something big, and it’s not getting close in the first 10 tries, come back later.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #304 on: February 25, 2021, 08:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Wish I knew that if you stop lifting weights it turns to fat. Havent felt right on a board since...

fuck heavy lifting
[close]

maybe its because your eating like your bulking and not lifting?

That and boozing a little too much

Love chub

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #305 on: February 26, 2021, 05:17:35 AM »
Pop early

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #306 on: February 26, 2021, 05:29:03 AM »
lol please explain the science behind a muscle turning into fat.  spoiler alert: they dont, you just eat like a fat shit.  how are people so dumb. 

Anyway,

the foot you pop withis the limiting mechanism on your pop for flip tricks.  want a fat bs flip?  pick up your back foot.
where is home?

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2021, 08:53:48 AM »
It's just skateboarding, it's not serious.  Just have some fucking fun with it. 

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2021, 08:58:57 AM »
lol please explain the science behind a muscle turning into fat.  spoiler alert: they dont, you just eat like a fat shit.  how are people so dumb. 

Anyway,

the foot you pop withis the limiting mechanism on your pop for flip tricks.  want a fat bs flip?  pick up your back foot.

Tyrone sweetheart,

twas a joke

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

victorP

« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2021, 12:10:20 PM »
You will almost certainly, at some point in your life, (~early/mid 20's for sure) be tempted to start spending less and less time skating and more and more time socializing/schmoozing/boozing which eventually leads to a big decline in your skateboarding. It might even disappear from your life before you realize it is gone.

It's good to be social if you can do that, but beware, because for antisocial ppl like many skaters are... the alcohol that always goes along with the social situations creates a crutch that you cannot sling your mind away from. It will take your body and your balance and worst of all, your natural confidence and inspiration for skating.

In short, don't waste your 20s spending too much time in bars, parties and clubs and trying to meet people and impress people. You will find your people and your significant other if that is what you seek.

You will only have a body able to skateboard for so long though.

Get out. Move. Ride the landscape. Free your mind.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #310 on: February 26, 2021, 01:03:33 PM »
I should’ve gotten into a trade fresh outta high school.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #311 on: February 26, 2021, 01:38:11 PM »
i feel these last two posts

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #312 on: February 26, 2021, 02:03:50 PM »
I feel the last two post heavy too except fuck trade school get an apprenticeship and get paid while you learn
p-shuvs and v-flips

somedudefromnj

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #313 on: February 26, 2021, 07:18:47 PM »
You will almost certainly, at some point in your life, (~early/mid 20's for sure) be tempted to start spending less and less time skating and more and more time socializing/schmoozing/boozing which eventually leads to a big decline in your skateboarding. It might even disappear from your life before you realize it is gone.

It's good to be social if you can do that, but beware, because for antisocial ppl like many skaters are... the alcohol that always goes along with the social situations creates a crutch that you cannot sling your mind away from. It will take your body and your balance and worst of all, your natural confidence and inspiration for skating.

In short, don't waste your 20s spending too much time in bars, parties and clubs and trying to meet people and impress people. You will find your people and your significant other if that is what you seek.

Well gahddamn

You just brought me back. Gonna try and stay on topic here but I wish I learned that the world was big before my twenties. Value time with my friends on the road early, skating all day and being stank as hell in bars all night.

I should’ve gotten into a trade fresh outta high school.

I know im not that old to be saying it, but this is so true. An old high school teacher of mine said to take a year or so off to find out who you really are and what you really wanna do, and as much as I love the act of skateboarding adulthood creeps up kinda quick. Before you know it that year off turns to seven and you´re 25 with no degree or any real skill.

Wouldnt trade that shit for anything though

primo

« Reply #314 on: February 27, 2021, 03:54:18 AM »
I wish I knew that I would still want to skate when I’m 40. Otherwise I would have never been so half-assed about it. But from 15-30 I half-assed everything I did in life, not just skating.

Icandoflamingoes

• Rep: 1
« Reply #315 on: February 27, 2021, 05:25:42 AM »
If you hurt your ankle STAY OFF IT, when you’re young it’s cool coming back really fast but after you pass 30 your shit will disintegrate like soggy bread.

On tranny accept the ass grazes, running out is bad for older you and your knees

Toes on the nose for back tails

The special meter is real

The slide on your butt backwards slam is the best one, didn’t fully incorporate this until in my mid 20s

Sagat

• Rep: -65
  • the spiciest slap poster. tiger uppercut!!
« Reply #316 on: February 27, 2021, 11:36:43 AM »
proper body mechanics and mobility are the key to preventing almost all injuries. also just being fit in general. your boy was pushing 200 lbs plus for over a decade on the skateboard. All those sessions over time have definitely worn out the joints. Paying the price now but still would not change a thing.

Theseaorganization

• Rep: -41
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #317 on: February 27, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »

I don't know who you are but I like everything you just said. Amen and awomen.

Hmmmm Nice Bike

« Reply #318 on: February 27, 2021, 04:35:19 PM »
Maybe this one sounds a bit harsh and as if I'm throwing some people under the bus but I wish I had chosen my skate friends more wisely.

In my early teens I was decent at skating, nowhere near a sponsorship level but decent enough to impress some friends a bit. Basically never being the worse skater at the spot or park, like pretty average honestly but still it was the best I had ever been at something and I was improving.

I eventually had two groups of skate friends though, one who were more passionate about skating and the other who would just kinda hang out at the same shitty spot most days but never really showed any interest in progressing. I sorta just ended up with the latter half more often since we all lived around the same area and meeting up was more convenient or a lot of days I'd even just skate alone when they didn't feel like it, but now I feel as if that path essentially plateaued my own improvement.

The other group went on to be really good and they deserve it for all the effort they put in together throughout the years, however I just sometimes really regret not allowing myself to have a more supportive or inspiring group of people to skate with like they got to experience and probably heavily benefited from.

Nowadays I should just be glad to be skating again at age 28 after a long hiatus and a torn ACL, I should just have fun rather than worry about skills which most days I do just enjoy skating for what it is, but I still sometimes wish I had taken advantage and surrounded myself with an environment that would have helped me learn to do a bit more with my board rather than still being stuck at the same level today.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #319 on: February 27, 2021, 05:02:10 PM »

A.K.A HECKRIDE!!

Crislerheaven

• Rep: -6
« Reply #320 on: February 27, 2021, 05:35:11 PM »
Shoulders are key to every fucking trick. I wish someone would have told 14 year old me
Yep, this. upper body is everything. Just putting your feet how they should be for a back heel is not gonna make you land a back heel if your body weight is centered all over the place.
As soon as Nelson hears that anything is “small and intimate” he gets paranoid he’s not invited and goes crazy to get there, so he put his mind to it and got there through someone else. It turned out to be thousands of people there so when he saw Paul he said, “Small, intimate world, isn’t it?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #321 on: February 27, 2021, 05:49:05 PM »
Maybe this one sounds a bit harsh and as if I'm throwing some people under the bus but I wish I had chosen my skate friends more wisely.

In my early teens I was decent at skating, nowhere near a sponsorship level but decent enough to impress some friends a bit. Basically never being the worse skater at the spot or park, like pretty average honestly but still it was the best I had ever been at something and I was improving.

I eventually had two groups of skate friends though, one who were more passionate about skating and the other who would just kinda hang out at the same shitty spot most days but never really showed any interest in progressing. I sorta just ended up with the latter half more often since we all lived around the same area and meeting up was more convenient or a lot of days I'd even just skate alone when they didn't feel like it, but now I feel as if that path essentially plateaued my own improvement.

The other group went on to be really good and they deserve it for all the effort they put in together throughout the years, however I just sometimes really regret not allowing myself to have a more supportive or inspiring group of people to skate with like they got to experience and probably heavily benefited from.

Nowadays I should just be glad to be skating again at age 28 after a long hiatus and a torn ACL, I should just have fun rather than worry about skills which most days I do just enjoy skating for what it is, but I still sometimes wish I had taken advantage and surrounded myself with an environment that would have helped me learn to do a bit more with my board rather than still being stuck at the same level today.

I feel you here. For sure, except I was fiercely loyal to a crew of dudes I grew up skating with who all became pretty heavy into legit crime, dope, and crack by the time we were 22 and eventually weren't welcome anywhere that anyone skated. I fucked around and came close, but that wasnt really my scene. they were my friends though but since I wasn't on that level, eventually i only rarely went to skate with them and really never with the legit crews of dudes focused on skating who often invited me to skate. I skated alone too much and eventually not much at all. Not even for the sake of progression, although it would have been inevitable, but for the fun/positivity and lack of sketch/shade always going down whenever we rolled somewhere. Whatever
 I'm skating again
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #322 on: February 27, 2021, 06:04:02 PM »
How to fall/slam properly.  Tuck that shit in, take the hit.

I gotta learn how to fall backwards better. Forwards or side to side I’m alright but I’m def risking (more) injury the way I fall back. I see these dudes like Tyshawn just like casually sit down backwards and put their arms up and I can’t comprehend it.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 138
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #323 on: February 27, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »
Taking stretching more serious.

this but for me it's all about the hamstrings. just do it my dudes. loosen your lower back and hammies before you skate. makes every session like 20% better for me to show up loosened up already.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #324 on: February 27, 2021, 08:27:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Taking stretching more serious.
[close]

this but for me it's all about the hamstrings. just do it my dudes. loosen your lower back and hammies before you skate. makes every session like 20% better for me to show up loosened up already.

That's a good short video, going to apply some of this to my routine. Thanks!

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #325 on: February 28, 2021, 08:37:39 AM »
When I was a teenager I wish someone would have told me to loosen my trucks up and learn the fundamentals of turning and carving, instead of flinging hideous flip tricks around

In my 20s I wish someone could have taught me the value of regular training to keep your key muscles strong and prevent injuries

marty mcfly

« Reply #326 on: February 28, 2021, 09:04:05 AM »
I never really did a ‘‘good“ trick more than once!
Landed several flip to grind/Slide tricks,but a always saw it
more like a Personal challenge.
After I did it I was fine.
Never felt the need to do Kickflip bs tailslides (for example)
all the time.
that’s the reason why I never got good at better tricks!
Wish I never had that attitude!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1372
« Reply #327 on: February 28, 2021, 09:15:35 AM »
I really wish I knew about grip gum sooner. I just started using it this year.

It's dusty where I live, and grip cleaner definitely helps after a session. My board goes from light grey to black again. It's not going to completely erase really thick dust, but it still makes a difference.

Going to try and buy one of those huge Rip Stik sand belt cleaners bc I saw that they do the same thing, you get a bigger stick, and it's less money.

GreggPopovich

• Rep: -44
« Reply #328 on: February 28, 2021, 05:05:30 PM »
There are literally tons of things I could go on about with this topic. I enjoy making these posts more than all others because hopefully it can help someone with their skating, and in a miniscule way I can give back to skating through that.

Let's go over a few big ones:
1. Learn tricks properly.
2. Learn tricks in the proper sequence.
3. Learn tricks that fit your physique, or how a trick should be dealt with given your physique.
4. Skate with better people than yourself.

1. When it comes to learning tricks properly, I'm referring to not cheating them just so that you can have a new trick in your bag. A great example of this is manuals, lot's of people use the board instead of their slow twitch muscles to create the equilibrium point. This ends up taking you away from what you are trying to use manuals too develop skills wise, which is developing those slow twitch muscles to enhance your other areas of skating. If I have not skated for a few months, and all my muscles have deteriorated(which has happened for numerous reasons, injury, work, life, etc.), I will purposefully just do manual tricks for a week long period before even attempting anything else to build those muscles back up. I will hold regular manual, nose manual, one foot manual on both feet, one foot nose manual for both feet, and hangten tail and nose manuals. I will generally find a city block, and just go back and forth for hours just doing flatground manuals, until I have enough strength to consistently do all 8 of those manuals across a city block. Then and only then will I proceed to trying "Actual" tricks, regardless if it takes me one to two weeks to get back to this point again.

2. This part is fairly coupled to the first part because if you don't learn tricks properly, odds are you are trying to learn tricks out of sequence. usually what ends up happening is say ok, I just learned how to kickflip(improperly), so then I immediately go try 360 flips. Either one of 2 things happens, one you try to use your improper technique on a trick variation since it's based off your improper trick, and you cannot learn that trick, or you learn the next trick with compounded bad habits. eventually what happens is as your trick tree branches out and out and out(think of like a skill tree in an RPG), and at some level you get to a point where you cannot learn more tricks on that branch since your foundation is so shaky, and it becomes a house of cards. Then you gotta go back and actually study all those tricks in that branch like you are trying to get a damn PHD in skateboarding physics because the only way to progress is to resolve your understanding of the basics to that branch you missed.

3. I think skaters tend to skate, or at least pick tricks in their younger years based off their favorite pros, and a lot of the time those pros bodies do not fit the body of the imitator. If you want to pick someone to imitate in your early years, then pick someone whos physique match's your own to watch film on.

4. The easiest way to become a great skateboarder is to hangout and skate with great skateboarders who are far better than you. This is true of any skill you want to master in your life, hanging around with people who are better than you will always make you better. Humble yourself and not be a cool guy, and you can figure out some wildly astounding things about skateboarding that you would prolly never think of on your own unless you are on of these guys.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
« Reply #329 on: February 28, 2021, 05:20:25 PM »
There are literally tons of things I could go on about with this topic.

...and so I will go on about them