Author Topic: Hiking Boots  (Read 2741 times)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1218
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hiking Boots
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
Wanted to see if anyone has any personal recommendations for some good, durable hiking boots.  Preferably waterproof and nothing crazy expensive.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
Re: Hiking Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
I've never been disappointed by keen and a lot of their boots can be had at a decent price and they are super durable. Lately I've been going between the Salomon Quest 4d 3 GTX and the Hoka One One Kaha, both are extremely comfortable and have good waterproofing but haven't owned them long enough to speak on their durability.

EDIT: but if I was going to recommend a single pair of boots I would say waterproof Keen Targhee's sound like they would be up your alley.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TARGHEE-III-MID-WP.html?dwvar_M-TARGHEE-III-MID-WP_color=1022069&cgid=mens_footwear_boots
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:41:27 PM by SKATELYNJENNER »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »
I've got the Meindl Guffert GTX. Amazing shoes. They fit me really nice and are sturdy and seem to be holding up perfect. I can't find a single thing to fault about them.

https://meindl.de/product/guffert-gtx-en/?lang=en

They were not cheap but good stuff rarely is. 🤔

potpie

• Rep: 30
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »
Bought these for around $60 at the North Face outlets, have about 15 days on them so far and I love them. Tremendous grip in both wet and dry, they have little teeth-like cleats on the outsole that grip into terra if you’re climbing up a steep hill or in mucky terrain.
https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens-ultra-fastpack-iii-mid-gtx-nf0a39iq#hero=0

animalflesh

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
I wear Merrel MOABs

Not cheap but they last forever and fit well

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 15
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 03:19:16 PM »
I have a pair of vasque boots that are manufactured under red wing. I bought them for $170 like 5 years ago and still going strong. have stood in streams up to my ankles and stayed completely dry. Their website has some on sale for under 100. I’d highly recommend.

Meekin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 03:36:45 PM »
I have a pair of Merrells that I got off Amazon and they are great so far
There was an interview with TK, when he was a plumber. He got asked if he gets recognized on the job and his response was "No. Plumbin in disguise." Everyone on SLAP thought he said "put him in the sky"

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 03:53:50 PM »
I also have Merrells, and I love them. I managed to get them for about $60 after finding a groupon code, so maybe look into that. I wore them in The Amazon for 8 days with no issues, and I'll wear them around NYC when I don't want to come home with sore feet. Mine are about 3 years old, but still look like this picture after cleaning them.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 04:10:38 PM »
Id imagine any keen genre of boot is amazing because my keen workboots are so good.

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 04:33:06 PM »
you in the usa/got an REI near you? they have their garage sales usually once a season where people get the chance to buy used gear for the low. (REI has the ridiculous return policy where you can wear something for 364 days and return it for a full refund). I've found so much gear for pennies on the dollar. you just need to join REI as a $20 one time member to be able to buy shit.

aside from that... I've had a pair of asolo fugitive gtx, pretty good for backpacking since they're high top and have good support. but merrel Moab's are a great entry level shoe

What a find

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 05:35:14 PM »
Goretex tech/material and oiled leather combo is king

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 02:32:54 AM »
Are you planning to use them for hiking or just winter/daily use?

If hiking you can try using trail running shoes.  i like the Altra Lone Peaks.  they are light and comfortable and have a rock guard in the sole.  they are zero drops so can take a little getting used to but are nice.

the problem with waterproof boots is that if water gets over the top the waterproofing holds the water inside the boots where a trail shoe will dry out pretty quickly just through continued hiking. 

if you want boots though i don't mind the light Salomon ones.  they say that a pound on the foot is the same as five on the back so weight definitely matters.

https://thetrek.co/boots-vs-trail-runners-two-loyalists-compare-contrast/

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
I just do short day hikes and prefer, "Trail shoes."  Beefier than a trail runner, but not as cumbersome as a full on boot.  Usually low or mid top.  If your doing multi-day stuff carrying lots of gear good boots with support is a nice thing to have. 

One of my buddies is an ultra light weight/speed hiker and he did the AT in trail shoes.  He went through a bunch of pairs though.  It crazy.  He carries a pack just a little bigger than a lot of people carry on day hikes. 

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 05:22:23 PM »
Are you planning to use them for hiking or just winter/daily use?

The biggest question. Gotta wait for OP before providing some insight.

Also if you’ll be doing any routine or bush whacking for more than 20% of your trips.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »
Damn, thanks everybody for all the great suggestions and taking this so seriously, haha.

I’m not going mountaineering or anything (although I do love that shit and wish I still lived around big mountains). 
They’d be for daily use.  My job has me in an office half the time and outside walking my ass off the other half, occasionally slogging through water/mud etc.

I’d like to do give myself the best chance of skating a little after trudging around all day.  It’s no fun trying to skate when yer dogs are barkin’, know what I mean?   

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2019, 09:56:53 AM »
I've got the Meindl Guffert GTX. Amazing shoes. They fit me really nice and are sturdy and seem to be holding up perfect. I can't find a single thing to fault about them.

hahaha ive got the exact same ones, and even though these fuckers are quite heavy they feel like clouds on my feet. its insane how a shoe this massive can be this comfortable.

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 10:43:11 AM »
fuk evil, bert
mArLeY

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 12:28:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hahaha ive got the exact same ones, and even though these fuckers are quite heavy they feel like clouds on my feet. its insane how a shoe this massive can be this comfortable.

That's great! 👍 I've used them during summer when it's +25°C and during winter when it's -25°C and they've been great in all weather. So comfy. I know exactly how you feel.  :)

Chipp

• Rep: -10
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 05:44:09 PM »
Hiking is so much better in LA

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 326
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 09:16:24 PM »
Hiking is so much better in LA

Angeles National Forest actually does have some gems, like Baden-Powell and Iron.
Adjacent is San Gorgonio and San Jacinto, which are outstanding displays of chaparral, glacier cirques, and some badass disjunct Sierra flora.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2019, 07:41:17 PM »
I've had a pair of Asolo GTX somethings for close to 20 years. Resoled them once. They've been great for me although I wouldn't recommend for wide feet or for work on ladders because of the pronounced heel. Mine are no longer waterproof but I used to be able to cross shallow creeks in them and come out dry.

Bought another pair last year from an EMS that was going out of business but haven't worn them.

I can't find decent boot insoles anymore. Superfeet have cornered the market and they are fucking hot garbage.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2019, 12:30:55 PM »

In use this weekend. It was wet and dirty, around 5 to 10°C. Lovely lovely shoes with zero issues and 100% comfort again.

Should probably treat the leather so it doesn't get wet so easily. 🤔 Doesn't really matter much for function though as the Gore Tex will keep your feet dry.  :)

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2019, 01:08:00 PM »
Id say somthing that wont hold water would be better than 'water proof'.  Hiking sandals with a change of socks?  -less weight too.   I used to hike west coast back montain boot packs for snowboarding in sneakers cause it was alot nicer than snowbard boots.  Ride down with em too but it was powder.  Wouldnt be great on hardpack.  I  dont get hiking boots unless theyre the hard bottom mountaineering type with the cramp ons and all that.
  Edit have you seen that portlandia eposode where they "get the stuff"? Super funny.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:12:12 PM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
Roisto outdoorsman-extraordinaire out there.  Those boots sound fucking amazing and I checked them out on the site but there’s a 0% chance I’m importing them from Denmark (or wherever they’re made) to the US.  Maybe if I made twice my current salary.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2019, 04:03:08 PM »
When I worked in the forest service about 15 years ago they made us purchase Red Wings at a little over $300. They lasted through the few years I worked there.

Recently, got into hiking this past year an dug um outta my parents storage after coming back from one hike with a good amount of blisters. Done a few good hikes with em and my feet are good at the end of the day. They've held up for years which surprise's me but not that cheap.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2019, 05:04:23 PM »
These will do the trick

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4391432568918076366?q=merrell+all+out+blaze&client=safari&hl=en-us&biw=414&bih=719&tbs=cat:187,pdtr0:871889|872259,pdtr1:2468707|2468713,vw:g,init_ar:SgVKAwi7AUoKUggI0Zs1IMOeNUoMUgoI49aWASDp1pYBSgeyBAQI5qcg,ss:44&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ACYBGNSQyduOoXjzyakEIJHkHw85kUtVeQ:1571616205061&prds=epd:9783899662295277040,paur:ClkAsKraX_L4WoL53R6AL6UttdHH3Zt9cZ6qe6ZffJo52HaecLIqyPaimqK08VBfOacqrWdvMzKh19JhT_F2GGYDwN5Zr81Xguj-HsNatkGNDi-pC5DzOs1OwBIZAFPVH72GngVJb7TGDL74qDrqwSipE1u4SQ,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 03:42:28 PM »
Id imagine any keen genre of boot is amazing because my keen workboots are so good.

My Keen work boots are completely dead right now (cracked sole and everything), yet I still wear them, they're so broken in and comfy.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 09:51:30 AM »
In case anyone cares, I ended up going with the Danner Mountain 600’s, which no one actually suggested, haha.  I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and recommendations though.  Maybe the Danner’s will be garbage and I’ll be kicking myself for not listening to you guys.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2019, 10:21:23 AM »
In case anyone cares, I ended up going with the Danner Mountain 600’s, which no one actually suggested, haha.  I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and recommendations though.  Maybe the Danner’s will be garbage and I’ll be kicking myself for not listening to you guys.

Nice! I have a pair of Danner pull-on boots I use for shit kickers around the house and really like them. You'll have to report back on how you like their hikers.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1381
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2021, 01:26:49 PM »
Bump:

My vasques are toast after 5 years. Erikkson model was the absolute best boot daily/hiking/working in dirt boot I've owned. They no longer make the model and I'm not sure what to get next.

Can't do merril or keen because the arches are too. I've got a brand new pair of Merril Moab I can't wear due to the arches. Honestly, if they had a bit more support, hiking in my XtraTuffs would be ideal
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty