Author Topic: Session vs Skater XL  (Read 5045 times)

radcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
Session vs Skater XL
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
So these have been out for a bit, which one are you vibing on? Looking forward to see how they shape up but Session really brought the heat with their early access. The world is interesting and fun to skate and find spots, and the tricks are satisfying. Skater XL is a bit easier and with the new grabs it’s opened it up a bit too. Their park focus is a bit underwhelming but the mid community is amazing, but I’d rather a world to explore than tonnes of seperate spots.

To date, neither feel that fun to just be on the board and only come alive during tricks, but I really want them to feel good to just carve and skate around, to loosen up and allow for more style. Slappies, little dumb tricks and up the fluidity.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
Re: Session vs Skater XL
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »
i only got to play the demo of session with that weird prison skatepark, but i've spent some time with skater xl and i feel you on that fluidity thing. only ea skate has that on lock, i mean bombing hills in that game is just as fun as doing tricks and all that shit

oh yeah and from what i've seen session looks much better than skater xl which surprises me because the demo was kinda wack. i'd have to play it to form an opinion though
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 09:50:51 AM by roba »
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:40:04 PM »
I haven't played either, but I'm so hyped on Session coming to Xbox soon.
I heard Oct. 21 is the date, but I'm not sure how true that is.

I just saw something about an update to Session from a day or so ago, which seems to have smoothed out some of the animations and pushing.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 02:17:54 PM »
I haven't played either, but I'm so hyped on Session coming to Xbox soon.
I heard Oct. 21 is the date, but I'm not sure how true that is.

I just saw something about an update to Session from a day or so ago, which seems to have smoothed out some of the animations and pushing.

I’m waiting for the Xbox early access too, honestly from what I’ve seen I think it looks much better than skater xl.
Having no comply and roger helps session for me though haha

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 99
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 12:55:11 AM »
I am trying to decide which one of these games to get. What would you guys recommend? Maybe get both?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 09:38:29 AM »
i only got to play the demo of session with that weird prison skatepark, but i've spent some time with skater xl and i feel you on that fluidity thing. only ea skate has that on lock, i mean bombing hills in that game is just as fun as doing tricks and all that shit

oh yeah and from what i've seen session looks much better than skater xl which surprises me because the demo was kinda wack. i'd have to play it to form an opinion though
Yeah I remember in the Skate 1 demo just doing flip manual variations for hours in the little curbs in the car park. And bombing hills, Weaving in and out of driveways and hanging on was sick. Always wanted some kind of slappy feature though so wallies, wall rides and slappies are doable and fun.

Session was dogshit up until this latest build. Brooklyn banks, cool spots you have to search out, controls are a different game from the early ones and feels more solid in certain ways than XL. Definitely worth picking up now, and by release time I’m hoping they’re got the physics dialed.

I’m just glad they’re now competing. The new XL update is rad too but seems to have made the board sloppier. Grabs are sick though.

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
They're both really good games but I have to side with session rn because there's a replay function and better customization options I can mod in where skater xl was more of a hassle to swap out textures. I can play both for hours if you wanted my opinion on game play. I haven't played skater xl since session came out but I remember it being kinda hard to do nice 360s, session has amazing 360s and the tricks are well animated but you can't ollie too high where in skater xl you can kickflip over picnic tables

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 06:30:59 AM »
Only played skater xl so far, but like the comments above stated, it's not very fun to just cruise around. Tranny/banks don't have much flow, Going faster/bigger doesn't feel much different, character looks all stiff and whenever you even slightly touch a wall your character just dies which is fucking annoying. Session looks like it has the same problems too. Gotta give it to session at this point for the open world and for having at least some type of goals, but both need a ton of work still to be able to give the same fun overall experience as the skate and thps series imo

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 09:19:41 AM »
Just saw an update that they pushed back the Xbox release till late nov-early dec

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 11:10:49 AM »
Just saw an update that they pushed back the Xbox release till late nov-early dec

:(

foureyedjim

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 11:11:54 PM »
Session has a lot of ideas that session doesn't have, but everything looks extremely clunky and animations are pre-determined and lack variability that session has.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 10:40:35 AM »
havent played Session but I am 1 week into Skater XL and its honestly FUCKING AMAZING. you can do so much shit, you have so mcuh more control. I fired up SKATE 3 the other day on 360 and i was like man this game is trash in comparison. just out the gate it is a WAY HARDER game but once i got used to it... its fucking godlike. i am in a skaterxl disord if peeps rae interested i can post it up here. theres so mcuh community content for this game holy shit.

i have heard session is decent as well but i have heard it lacks the uniqueness in the flip tricks that Skater XL has beacsue the shoveit and kickflip fire seperaltey in XL vs. all at once like Skate in Session
ONTARIO CANADA