Author Topic: Anyone on here know anything about running a non profit organization?  (Read 409 times)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
Someone from my daughters school is trying to rope me into being a voting board member of this non profit that was started a few years ago and has since sort of fizzled out. They don't really have a clear mission. They have received grants and have done fund raising and have a decent amount of money in their account. Went to their first meeting of the year last night and it's no clearer.

Their mission is loosely to raise money to be a financial resource for programs of special education and to aid in getting around "red tape" of operating under the school districts and state guidelines.

For instance 2 of their expenditures of last year were purchasing items for autistic children from Amazon for classroom use since Amazon is not an authorized vendor to the school district and the authorized vendor charged  3 times as much and the school district denied the request.

The other example is they paid for a deaf presenter to do an assembly at my daughters school (a school for the deaf) to show the children what they can achieve being a deaf person in society. The school district denied this one as they deemed it noneducational and not meeting the curriculum of the district. While the deaf school pretty much doesn't follow the curriculum anyway.

Anyway, anyone have any tips for being a part of a non profit type organization?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -326
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Anyone on here know anything about running a non profit organization?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 06:56:45 AM »
Try to think of it as a mission with panhandling from others.

I have been involved with mine a nonprofit skate library kinda like a bike co-op where you have some old parts and stuff to donate I teach kids how to build their own setups and stuff. (similar to boards for bro’s) on a very rudimentary level.

anytime I have enough “free product” usually sourced from myself and the swap meets I go to. I will have an impromptu game of skate and sometimes I have a set of wheels new or some gently used trucks to give away usually it’s just me trying to give back. even though it feels like I am buying friends it’s rewarding to see and help out others.

I’ve got a tip jar for donations so I buy some blank decks and some other stuff that I will kick down some kids.

It’s recently been hitting a wall as I’ve almost got my duffel bag of stuff stolen by a tweaker so I have to go to a different park.

Try to promote your mission and get a good rep for someone who can sort out your agenda, it’s rough at first getting it started but enough encouragement and belief behind you’ll figure it out.

I learned mine from a anarcho foods not bombs word of mouth scenario and it was rough to lug all this shit around but I’ve started my shit in 3 different cities.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 07:02:24 AM by DarthDingusMaximus »
Dueces Bitch's

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »
Try to think of it as a mission with panhandling from others.

I have been involved with mine a nonprofit skate library kinda like a bike co-op where you have some old parts and stuff to donate I teach kids how to build their own setups and stuff. (similar to boards for bro’s) on a very rudimentary level.

anytime I have enough “free product” usually sourced from myself and the swap meets I go to. I will have an impromptu game of skate and sometimes I have a set of wheels new or some gently used trucks to give away usually it’s just me trying to give back. even though it feels like I am buying friends it’s rewarding to see and help out others.

I’ve got a tip jar for donations so I buy some blank decks and some other stuff that I will kick down some kids.

It’s recently been hitting a wall as I’ve almost got my duffel bag of stuff stolen by a tweaker so I have to go to a different park.

Thanks for the tip.

Side note: If you are US DM me I have bunch of not totally shredded gear I'll donate to you. Probably enough for 5 completes if I had to put a number on it.
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

FROTHY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 07:21:11 AM »
I'd hit up Kris Markovich or Mike Vallely for anything lacking profits.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 07:26:05 AM »
I'd hit up Kris Markovich or Mike Vallely for anything lacking profits.

Ehh, maybe. Wouldn't want them to quit in 6 months.

sometimeperhaps

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
I can't say I have any advice to offer, as I haven't been apart of a non-profit. But I would suggest making a post on one of the Reddit finance groups. Usually there's many people there with various backgrounds, and advice for things of the monetary nature.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nonprofit/

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/