Author Topic: Tips For Returning To Skating Post Surgery?  (Read 1371 times)

whatsreallygood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
Tips For Returning To Skating Post Surgery?
« on: October 18, 2019, 06:31:50 AM »
Without getting into it too much I've got a surgery coming up. Gonna be in bed for 3-6 months, afterwards I'm supposed to have clearance for all activities including heavy lifting, contact sports etc. Apparently I'm lucky since I'm youngish at 24 which can cut the recovery time in half. Honestly I'm just very nervous and wondering if anyone's gone through something similar and how they dealt with it or if anything changed for them afterwards.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
Re: Tips For Returning To Skating Post Surgery?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:24:16 AM »
What type of injury? Ankle, knee...?

I had ankle surgery about two years ago. Best advice i can give is follow the doctors directions, do the PT and don’t come back too soon, that’s a good way to make your injury worse. Aside from that try to maintain a decent diet while your laid up, do some type of excercise if your injury permits. When your cleared to skate again take it easy to start out, and progress as you feel comfortable. I was not able to walk for 4 months and couldn’t skate for 6. It took me another few months to feel back to 100%, I’d say 30% was physical the other 70% being scared mentally.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 08:27:57 AM »
Be prepared for the atrophy. It's a mental battle to literally watch your legs wither away. I still tried to flex my leg muscles as much as possible to keep them stimulated. But that won't stop it.

But the first time you throw the board down it's like you are a kid again. So refreshing. But go slow and start from scratch. Figure out what you can do instead of focusing on what you used to be able to do.

Idk what your medical issue is but eat healthy and do whatever physical therapy they tell you to do.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
I had back surgery at 31. I needed the surgery for a long time so my recovery time was a little longer than they expected. I was only supposed to be out of work for 3 to 6 months.

As mentioned above, atrophy is going to be an issue. Mine wasn't major, but I remember when I started working again that doing normal factory work made me feel like I got hit by a bus for about the first week or two.

Do you mind sharing what type of surgery it is, so we can better understand your situation?

Good luck to you. You do have the advantage of being young and if you're healthy otherwise and take care during your recovery, you should be just fine. I can do the same (if not more) than I could before I had the issue with my back fixed.
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 10:17:08 AM »

I had ankle surgery about two years ago. Best advice i can give is follow the doctors directions, do the PT and don’t come back too soon, that’s a good way to make your injury worse. Aside from that try to maintain a decent diet while your laid up, do some type of excercise if your injury permits. When your cleared to skate again take it easy to start out, and progress as you feel comfortable. I was not able to walk for 4 months and couldn’t skate for 6. It took me another few months to feel back to 100%, I’d say 30% was physical the other 70% being scared mentally.

Nothing directly related to skating, they've gotta go in my guts. I think my core might be a bit weaker on one side afterwards from being cut open and possibly having a bit of a rib removed to get access to what they need to do on one the side so I'll have to do PT for that after. But thanks for the info.

Really appreciate all the other info posted, helps a ton knowing people return to skating after this sorta stuff. I'll be sure to take it appropriately easy and stay healthy.

landedprimo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
  • Become Pneuma
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:48:29 AM »
I think my core might be a bit weaker on one side afterwards from being cut open

Sorry for double-posting, but my incision was on my stomach as well. I had an ALIF done on my L5-S1, they go though a vertical incision in your abdomen for that.

I dealt with some localized nerve pain afterwards even after the wound healed. They suggested lightly rubbing it daily to desensitize it.

I've noticed that I seem to pull a muscle the opposite side whenever I try to work too quickly into sit-ups. I refused PT. So that's probably why I am having issues today.

Let us know how everything works out
I don’t care what anyone says, a tit mouse’s tibia is a thing of beauty.
The streets await

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 03:48:16 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nothing directly related to skating, they've gotta go in my guts. I think my core might be a bit weaker on one side afterwards from being cut open and possibly having a bit of a rib removed to get access to what they need to do on one the side so I'll have to do PT for that after. But thanks for the info.

Really appreciate all the other info posted, helps a ton knowing people return to skating after this sorta stuff. I'll be sure to take it appropriately easy and stay healthy.
I have had surgery, but always done on skate specific injuries. For those it was always super Important to be Patient and to Never skate through any Pain related to the injury. It was ok if the muscles arround the knete got a bit sore and Started to hurt a little, but if the Joint hurt it meant to stop to skatung imidiately.

as someone has already mentioned if you spend that much time in bed you will lose most of your muscle mass. It is fucking Crazy how quickly muscles can disappear, when they are not used.
So my advice would be to start exercises as fast as possible so you do Not become an Astronaut returning to Earth. when getting back into skateing you will need to be Patient and to you should probably take your time so you can get all your muscles back. Short Sessions with enough time to Recover in between would probably be Most effektive. If they give you any physical rehab make shure to explain to them that you skate alot and try to go to a rehab place where they rehab athletes and Not just your average Office workers. That can make a Big difference.

take it easy. don't worry you are Young and you will Recover!

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 06:56:06 PM »
Expand Quote
I think my core might be a bit weaker on one side afterwards from being cut open
[close]

Sorry for double-posting, but my incision was on my stomach as well. I had an ALIF done on my L5-S1, they go though a vertical incision in your abdomen for that.

I dealt with some localized nerve pain afterwards even after the wound healed. They suggested lightly rubbing it daily to desensitize it.

I've noticed that I seem to pull a muscle the opposite side whenever I try to work too quickly into sit-ups. I refused PT. So that's probably why I am having issues today.

Let us know how everything works out

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I have had surgery, but always done on skate specific injuries. For those it was always super Important to be Patient and to Never skate through any Pain related to the injury. It was ok if the muscles arround the knete got a bit sore and Started to hurt a little, but if the Joint hurt it meant to stop to skatung imidiately.

as someone has already mentioned if you spend that much time in bed you will lose most of your muscle mass. It is fucking Crazy how quickly muscles can disappear, when they are not used.
So my advice would be to start exercises as fast as possible so you do Not become an Astronaut returning to Earth. when getting back into skateing you will need to be Patient and to you should probably take your time so you can get all your muscles back. Short Sessions with enough time to Recover in between would probably be Most effektive. If they give you any physical rehab make shure to explain to them that you skate alot and try to go to a rehab place where they rehab athletes and Not just your average Office workers. That can make a Big difference.

take it easy. don't worry you are Young and you will Recover!

Thanks a ton for the info guys. I fully intend to session PT as much as possible once I'm cleared to do so. I had an ok gym routine before I had to stop cause of this stuff so ideally I can return to that at lower reps/weight to rebuild strength without putting stress on myself like I would skating. My surgery is on the 4th and in theory shouldn't be very high risk. It's mostly just a mental thing for myself at this point but this is all super reassuring.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 10:45:07 PM »
Don't get addicted to opioids.

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:57:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's ok, man. We don't judge here.
No.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 05:28:58 PM »
Don't get addicted to opioids.

Good call

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
It's ok, man. We don't judge here.

They said they won't take the full rib out so can't suck my own dick :/

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 06:10:23 AM »
Well on a positive note at least it’s not a skate related injury so you won’t have that mental game to overcome. For me it took a long time to not think about rolling my ankle like I did. In fact I’m still not completely over it, but it doesn’t stop me from trying at least.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »
Already some solid advice here but yeah just take it slow, build yourself back up slowly and when your comfortable just ease into it, dont push it. When your strong again you will know

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 07:59:05 PM »
Well on a positive note at least it’s not a skate related injury so you won’t have that mental game to overcome. For me it took a long time to not think about rolling my ankle like I did. In fact I’m still not completely over it, but it doesn’t stop me from trying at least.

I stopped skating handrails after I busted my ankle when I was a dumb teenager so I know the feeling. I didn't realize at the time but I'd gotten a hairline fracture that'd healed kinda wonky. My ankle mobility in my switch foot kinda sucks now lol.

Already some solid advice here but yeah just take it slow, build yourself back up slowly and when your comfortable just ease into it, dont push it. When your strong again you will know

Sounds like a plan

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 08:07:44 PM »
Quick update. My procedure went flawlessly, apparently I can skate in just a month no restrictions since things went so well. They just said work on core since they had to go through my obliques so there will be some muscle weakness there to even out. Really appreciate the responses I got in this thread, helped me a ton, especially in terms of my nerves prior to the surgery.