Author Topic: Supreme - "Candyland"  (Read 56761 times)

Not A Damn Chance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 92
  • Banned from Slam
Re: Supreme - "Candyland"
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2019, 10:01:35 AM »
Crook through the kink at union square is so wild.
The compression isn’t the greatest but was that Nik Stain that did the manual double set to manual? That’s also crazy.

The 1000 shutter speed combined with extremely tight shots is super annoying at this point.  I’ll watch it again once the cut down version comes out.
Thanks for the links.

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »
At first I thought kader was lighting a pipe in the second clip but it was just a corn dog ;D

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
At first I thought kader was lighting a pipe in the second clip but it was just a corn dog ;D

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2019, 10:14:18 AM »
Expand Quote
This filming is a troll. What the fuck.
[close]

It’s comical. Like bill STAND BACK 15 FT FROM WHERE YOU ARE STANDING

Strobeck? More like Standbackabit.

m i rite?

Guys?

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2019, 10:14:41 AM »
That Tyshawn line with the switch ollie is ridiculous.

• Rep: 31
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2019, 10:30:20 AM »
The skating is very enjoyable. I somehow just realized that Strobeck's filming style functions as a Supreme lookbook with lingering shots on their line and nearly static shots of the skaters that function as models.

It must get annoying when you're just trying to enjoy your blunt or corndog and Bill keeps shoving a camera in your face.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1200
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »
Crook through the kink at union square is so wild.
The compression isn’t the greatest but was that Nik Stain that did the manual double set to manual? That’s also crazy.

The 1000 shutter speed combined with extremely tight shots is super annoying at this point.  I’ll watch it again once the cut down version comes out.
Thanks for the links.
thats what I was wondering. I thought it may have been Aidan at first but they’re wearing cons so who knows. But there was also a thread saying Aidan was on cons I’m gonna lose it fuck this it’s so stressful supreme is cancelled.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2019, 10:42:32 AM »
For the love of god, stop filming these random women on the street.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
There's no diversity in Strobeck's filming. He literally does the same shit on almost every fucking clip. I wish during Photosynthesis days someone could've given me a glimpse of the future to show that one of my favorite filmers was one day going to film like absolute shit because there's no way I'd believe it.

Irvine-Sucks.com

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 761
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
    The long, slo motion shots and close ups remind me of Warhol's films. I understand they also serve the purpose of advertisement since a lot of the general public that don't skate are going to watch this. Although Strobeck's shots are not as long or banal as Warhol's, the viewer is still subjected to a similar experience. It isn't much of a stretch to consider his subjects as his beauties.  The split screen moments invoke Chelsea girls, and Larry Clark uses that technique as well. We can conclude that Strobeck is currently the most homo-erotic filmer in skateboarding, creating videos through the male gaze, of male subjects for consumption by a largely male audience. Don't confuse this as a denouncement of his work, more of an observation and if anything other skateboarding content doesn't invoke this much thought or relation to other videos/artworks.

Anyone care to dissect the use of the word Film vs Video?

nothing's been the since same

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
Tyshawn's switch inward heal would of cleared another 5 steps. One of the best ever done.

disintegration

• Rep: -114
« Reply #131 on: October 24, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »
    The long, slo motion shots and close ups remind me of Warhol's films. I understand they also serve the purpose of advertisement since a lot of the general public that don't skate are going to watch this. Although Strobeck's shots are not as long or banal as Warhol's, the viewer is still subjected to a similar experience. It isn't much of a stretch to consider his subjects as his beauties.  The split screen moments invoke Chelsea girls, and Larry Clark uses that technique as well. We can conclude that Strobeck is currently the most homo-erotic filmer in skateboarding, creating videos through the male gaze, of male subjects for consumption by a largely male audience. Don't confuse this as a denouncement of his work, more of an observation and if anything other skateboarding content doesn't invoke this much thought or relation to other videos/artworks.

I'm assuming the title 'Candyland' relates to transgender/transsexual people; Lou Reed wrote the song Candy Says about a trans woman and also dated a trans woman who he met at Warhol's Factory. There were several links in this film where Strobeck filmed trans people and included Cher Autumn skating.

Coco Santiagos Kitten

« Reply #132 on: October 24, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »
I thought it was really good. Strobeck needs someone to tell him no on some of his editing choices sometimes, but overall I dig it.

Alex

• Rep: -13
« Reply #133 on: October 24, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »
Four minutes in, but already compelled express how shitty the filming is like everyone else is. Through Stroebeck we bear witness to the group arguably most defining what skateboarding "is", for better or worse. That he's etching such high caliber art/athleticism into our brains like this really pisses me off. Almost seems reprehensible. At least, I think the skating's incredible... can't really tell. Mostly feel disoriented by all the shaky camera work.

Lukabrazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
tyshawn switch ollie up the stairs at embarcadero was absolutely fucked.

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
I was impressed. Tyshawn's switch inward heel down those stairs may have been the best switch inward heelflip ever done.

Glurmpz

« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2019, 11:56:57 AM »
I'm only 2 minutes in and I had to stop. This is gonna be a hard watch. I used to give Bill credit for doing his own thing, but I never liked his zoom in and out constantly style to begin with, and this is so much worse than it was in the past.

Kevin Braun's switch frontside flip over that street gap was way better and looked like it was way easier for him too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:59:42 AM by Glurmpz »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2019, 12:02:30 PM »
I was impressed. Tyshawn's switch inward heel down those stairs may have been the best switch inward heelflip ever done.
http://youtu.be/nQ-iQ_m9yxo?t=134

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2019, 12:24:00 PM »
Damn that crooks at union square was good.

« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2019, 12:26:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm assuming the title 'Candyland' relates to transgender/transsexual people; Lou Reed wrote the song Candy Says about a trans woman and also dated a trans woman who he met at Warhol's Factory. There were several links in this film where Strobeck filmed trans people and included Cher Autumn skating.

Yeah, I was thinking Candyland was a reference to Candy Darling, especially with that long shot of the blonde trans woman with bright red lipstick that looks like her.

This scene needs their own Velvet Underground, though.

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »
Some of the more stylish skaters and he cuts em in half. 

Edit at least he knows he enough to leave nik stain footage alone

my english is bad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • no hablo english
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2019, 12:32:42 PM »
so many good clips ruin because of fat bill stupid filming

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2019, 12:33:38 PM »
i know this has been talked about before, but kader skating literally one baker board is a really bad look

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »
I liked it...as for the filming..you know what you are going to get going in, so I'm not bothered by it. it's fully expected.
Good to see Aiden has ramped up his Aiden-ness.
Also..Tyler Pacheco has one of the best styles in skateboarding.

mongopushingmallgraber

• Voicemail avatar image
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2019, 12:35:03 PM »
I wish I could enjoy these videos the way I used to.  Kaders Crooks was so fucked tho, was really hyped on that.  This video made me feel confused.  Half of the clips made me want to go skate, and the other half mixed with the filming made me want to kill myself for being part of skateboarding. I dont know man. RIP Pablo, he seemed like a really cool dude.

A HOMOSEXUAL PERSON

• Rep: -24
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2019, 12:44:37 PM »
6:12 couldn't afford another set of john woo pigeons ::)

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2560
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2019, 12:58:06 PM »

This is Ben K, yeah? Glad he's finally happy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 01:01:01 PM by Alan »
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

euro tm

« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
I'm only 2 minutes in and I had to stop. This is gonna be a hard watch. I used to give Bill credit for doing his own thing, but I never liked his zoom in and out constantly style to begin with, and this is so much worse than it was in the past.

Kevin Braun's switch frontside flip over that street gap was way better and looked like it was way easier for him too.

the more you watch the better the filming gets, sort of. those first few minutes were fucked though.

CBP

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2019, 01:04:44 PM »
Higher quality upload by Strobeck himself.

Ocelot

« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
holy shit I watched that on my phone and my head is fucked

are the close-up shots and frantic editing worse now than ever?