Author Topic: Tucson AZ advice  (Read 2184 times)

offkilter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Tucson AZ advice
« on: October 20, 2019, 01:32:04 AM »
I’m moving to Tucson in 10 days, really excited about it. I’ve never lived anywhere besides real small towns and I’m looking forward to having a real skate scene and music scene to be a part of, street spots, amazing food and being able to afford a house in downtown.

Anyone live there / spend time there? I’m curious what the regular hang-out park is, and are cops dicks about street skating? I saw a bunch of spots when I was there earlier this year and some ditch DIYs that looked fun.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
Re: Tucson AZ advice
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »
I’m moving to Tucson in 10 days, really excited about it. I’ve never lived anywhere besides real small towns and I’m looking forward to having a real skate scene and music scene to be a part of, street spots, amazing food and being able to afford a house in downtown.

Anyone live there / spend time there? I’m curious what the regular hang-out park is, and are cops dicks about street skating? I saw a bunch of spots when I was there earlier this year and some ditch DIYs that looked fun.
Never lived there so someone else will have more info but I had an 8 month stint in northern Arizona and did some trips through Tucson. It was the coolest part of the desert to me, Phoenix area wasn’t my favorite. Good food and music scene like you said. Went to an AJJ show downtown. I’m a closet coffee snob and Cartel Coffee Lab downtown was my favorite.

Downtown is the most condensed area to find spots but the U of A campus has some cool stuff around the area as well. Don’t know what the bust factor is but I didn’t get kicked out. Didn’t go to any parks but I’m sure that’ll be easy to figure out once you’re there.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 01:14:40 PM by Pappy Jones »

euro tm

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 02:34:32 PM »
tucson is tight. definitely has the best spots in arizona. just go to blx skateshop and meet eric and thor, they're the best. if you ever cruise to phoenix hit me up.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2019, 09:31:04 AM »
was lurking at a park at the  top of 6th ave Tucson near the train yard met a friend drank some beers and got the invite to a pool spot.

he said for me to bring a 30 pack and next day I showed up told me to put on a ski mask (they weren't dure of me)as they wanted this place to be a invite only place. Needless to say I got to cut my first teeth at a legit left handed kidney pool.
Dueces Bitch's

SlapTM

• Rep: 242
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 10:39:13 AM »
tucson is tight. definitely has the best spots in arizona. just go to blx skateshop and meet eric and thor, they're the best. if you ever cruise to phoenix hit me up.
Erik and Thor are rad. BLX homies are kinda running the scene once Starr Skates was sold off to a kook who ran into out of business.

OP, I lived in Tucson for 4 years from 2006-2010. I made a video called Arizona Days that you could probably watch online. Feel free to DM me on insta or something if there's any spots you may be interested in. Tucson is really rad place, its small and you don't really need to get on the freeway to get anywhere. If you're trying to go out and hit the bars Hotel Congress is one of my go to's and theres some Che's and some more bars on 4th Ave. There's a few parks there but in my opinion are all pretty bad. There's a new prefab park off Ajo Parkway and then a indoor park called Premises I believe. Haven't been to either yet but they look decent. Hopefully you'll get to run into Suski as he's stil living there and working on getting a new park built. If you can become friends with some of the locals, you may get to skate "Hell Bowl" in Jesse's backyard. It's been in a few tour videos and definitely something pretty wild. U of A has a ton of spots but like most big college campuses they have their own police and lots of them but can still manage to get time at spots. "The Blocks"(where Reynolds does his opening line in TIS) tends to pop off on the weekends sometimes. That place is almost like a mini skatepark. If there's anything particular food you're looking for anything specific let me know and I'll try to help out as much as possible.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
Grew up and went to college in Tucson, it's a lot of fun.  Mt. Lemmon is great for dispersed camping (if you're into that).  Santa Rita park is essentially just two ledges and three tranny sections but honestly I love it.  4th ave and downtown have tons of bars and restaurants, I'd say live biking distance from that.  actually just bike everywhere it's super cyclist friendly.  Message me if you have any other questions.  BLX is a good shop, heard there's some place called Mortal now too but never been there.  Hell Bowl is fun but kinda gnarly if you get a chance to go definitely do and bring some beers.  Explore ditches, they're everywhere and a blast to skate! 
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Glurmpz

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 08:12:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Erik and Thor are rad. BLX homies are kinda running the scene once Starr Skates was sold off to a kook who ran into out of business.

Hopefully you'll get to run into Suski as he's stil living there and working on getting a new park built. If you can become friends with some of the locals, you may get to skate "Hell Bowl" in Jesse's backyard.

Man, I miss those guys. Suski is definitely the nicest dude in town. I don't think we ever went to a bar - just Jesse's back yard.  ;D

OP - this spot is in Oro Valley right next to the Walmart, as one example.

I'd be surprised if this QP is still holding up as good all these years later, but this is a Suski special I think. Airport ditch? Super fun to skate the curbs on the little banks.

These are two very random examples, but there's so much to skate in and around Tucson.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:03:51 AM »
Grew up and went to college in Tucson, it's a lot of fun.  Mt. Lemmon is great for dispersed camping (if you're into that).  Santa Rita park is essentially just two ledges and three tranny sections but honestly I love it.  4th ave and downtown have tons of bars and restaurants, I'd say live biking distance from that.  actually just bike everywhere it's super cyclist friendly. Message me if you have any other questions.  BLX is a good shop, heard there's some place called Mortal now too but never been there.  Hell Bowl is fun but kinda gnarly if you get a chance to go definitely do and bring some beers.  Explore ditches, they're everywhere and a blast to skate!

You guys rock and are making me even more excited for the move. One of the main reasons I wanted to move there was to not need a car daily and be able to bike around, ended up snagging a two bedroom maybe a mile from 4th.