Author Topic: Tbilisi, Georgia  (Read 1689 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Tbilisi, Georgia
« on: October 29, 2019, 11:06:20 PM »
Anyone ever been? How long would you recommend staying in Tbilisi and what were some of your favorite things? I'm down to for hiking, vegan food, beer/wine, and checking out the bassiani/khidi clubs. Also down to venture outside of Tbilisi too.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2592
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Tbilisi, Georgia
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 07:30:06 AM »
It's been a few years since I've been, but I remember a lot of spots along Rustaveli Avenue, which is the main drag. When I was there they were also renovating some parts of the downtown and it looked like they were going to be quite skateable (smooth ground, ledges, etc). Wish I remembered the names of these neighbourhoods. But generally it seemed like they were investing crazy money to make the city look modern. Still the best part is walking around the old neighbourhoods. They have a very specific flair.

There's loads of hiking to be done in Georgia. My friends went to the Kazbegi region in the north, it looked amazing. It might be worth going to Batumi on the Black Sea coast. Use marshrutkas to get around, even in the cities.

Their wine is kinda shitty, imho. Sweet and syrupy. But I really only had it a few times, so who knows? When I was there they didn't really have good beer. It was drinkable, but nothing to write home about. Maybe they've jumped on the whole craft beer craze since. Try chacha, their national hard liquor. It's grappa-like. Pretty good stuff.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 19
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 12:25:10 AM »
Cool, thanks for the reply.

I've got some friends who are more interested in going there for clubbing but I'm wondering if it's worth doing a 1-2 week trip there. Seems cool enough, can't tell how much there really is to do in Tibilisi. Ha, yeah, I do remember their wine being super sweet. I'm sure they're not so comparable but I'm debating between Tbilisi and Almaty now. For my bigger trip this year, I'm thinking maybe Addis Ababa or Rio.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:33:28 AM »
Almaty would be rad to visit for sure. But like you said, can't compare it with Tbilisi...

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 02:44:19 AM »
I spent a few days in Almaty a couple of years ago. Pretty cool place and it would be rad for skating (I didnt have a board). Really interesting mix of old and new. Think hugo boss store in old decrepit soviet era apartment blocks. Food was good. I hope I return at some point again in the future.

Tblisi also looks good. I was about a week from going there myself (also a couple of years ago) but had to bail due to family stuff elsewhere. Regret it now. Probably a more beautiful city than Almaty I suspect. The Georgian countryside looks amazing too. Either way I think you'll have a good time.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 05:15:59 AM »
My wife is from Tbilisi and we end up going almost every year. We were just there for most of August. I might have a different perspective because I'm always with family, but I've been all over Europe and Georgia/Tbilisi is really unique.   

Regarding the wine, Georgia is the birthplace of wine and it's really woven into all parts of their culture. The farm wine (likely the syrupy stuff described) is dirt cheap (like $4 a jug). However, the craft wines and bottled stuff is much better. It's still inexpensive, but I'd go with saparavi. If you like champagne, the good stuff is still $3 a bottle. The beer is meh, I usually just buy the German stuff.

The highways are slowly improving in Georgia, so it's easier to get to places like Kazbegi. I went there a few years back and it's breathtaking. This last trip I went to Racha and Svaneti, which was also amazing. My first trip I went to Shatili and it felt like I was on another planet. Just check the pictures.

Batumi is a nice beach resort area. Georgia and foreigners are dumping a ton of money into making it look modern. I went there in 2008 and again this year. It looks way way better now.

If you go, make sure to download the Bolt app. It's Georgian Uber, but ridiculously cheap (45 min rides for $3).

Please PM me with any questions. I've been there 7 times now and I've been all over the country. My wife lived in Vake (nicer neighborhood of Tbilisi) until she was 18.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:58:22 PM »
I feel like an idiot. I thought this thread was concerning some small town in Georgia, USA. I was like damn that must be in the middle of nowhere... I've never heard of it. (The south does have a lot of crazy "worldly" knockoff city/town names... although usually biblical in origin).

Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Randy Lahey

• Rep: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 09:22:56 AM »
Excellent destination. Was there last autumn for two weeks. Lots of spots, locals were really friendly, great food (also veg) and delicious wine. In Tbilisi we stayed in Fabrika hostel https://fabrikatbilisi.com/ for the first few nights, reasonably priced and clean. In the courtyard there's bars, restaurants and a skateshop https://fabrikatbilisi.com/resident/margo-skate-shop-fabrika/ great hang out spot in the evening and the staff at the skateshop is really friendly and willing to give some tips. The skatepark is quite close Fabrika, its kind of random but fun. Lots of spots along Rustaveli avenue and fun plaza in Vake Park. Also there is a new skatepark under construction at the moment near Vake Park. Food is excellent, Khinkali dumplings are a must try. Shavi Lomi restaurant served great Georgian food. Tbilisi nightlife is definetely worth checking out, Bassiani was cool, its situated in an old stadium, also Drama nightclub  near Rustaveli metro had a good vibe, more mellow. Weeds shit, but decriminalized. I highly recommend visiting, however communication in English is a bit hard especially with the older generation, so learn the basics. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 09:25:41 AM by Randy Lahey »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 10:51:34 PM »
Georgian food is so amazing. It is the absolute best.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

know_your_role

• Rep: 10
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 08:00:11 AM »
Going to Tbilisi in a couple of weeks. Probably not the best time of year for skating but seems like there is a million other things to do!

Alois Hitler Jr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -389
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
  • User is banned from postingMuted
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2020, 03:38:43 PM »
Pretty sure this is Georgia

https://youtu.be/RJB2fhPclNs
9/11 was a national tragedy

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2020, 05:51:26 PM »
Going to Tbilisi in a couple of weeks. Probably not the best time of year for skating but seems like there is a million other things to do!
I've been to Tbilisi in winter (unfortunately for my FIL's funeral). Skating won't be the best, but there are plenty of cultural activities year round. There's always great food/wine, it's their national pride. If you're down for skiing, then you can head up to Kazbegi, Gudauri, or some of the other mountainous areas of northern Georgia. You can get a ride in a Euro bus for pretty cheap. I was there in August and couldn't believe how great the conversion rate is for USD to GEL.

Unfortunately, Batumi and the beaches probably suck this time of year.

know_your_role

• Rep: 10
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2020, 06:25:48 AM »
Just checking in to say that tbilisi is one of the best places I've ever been, Georgian cuisine and wine is insanely good and incredibly cheap

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 08:10:32 AM »
Nice. Glad you liked it. This thread made me want to go back so bad.

Randy Lahey

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 01:00:00 AM »
Update! The old skatepark by the river (Dedaena park) has been redone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKoZjAJJzO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Randy Lahey

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 01:10:26 AM »
Also the local skate brand has a skate map on their site

https://www.tamra.ge/skate-map

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2020, 02:49:10 PM »
Update! The old skatepark by the river (Dedaena park) has been redone.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHKoZjAJJzO/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I missed this update. The park looks sick!