Author Topic: Shoulder injury problems and skateboarding: Help?  (Read 1900 times)

sk8_m4x

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Shoulder injury problems and skateboarding: Help?
« on: October 30, 2019, 09:08:56 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been skating since the start of this year, so not exactly that long. A couple of years ago I started having problems with my right shoulder partially dislocating - it would dislocate, then go back in by itself after a few minutes. This has now happened about 6 times on my right shoulder.
My left shoulder I have now dislocated twice while skateboarding (each time I have had to go to hospital to get them put it back in place, which is a pretty pain fall process).
For the last couple years I've been doing light physio, which has been very unstructred and not seemed to do much - I actually dislocated my right shoulder doing some excersies a couple weeks ago.

Basically I am looking for some advice on what to do from anyone who has suffered similar injurys - my physio doesnt seem to be much help, and before you say, no i can't just get a new one - i dont have the money to pay for a private one. Thanks to anyone who responds (:

DotGuru

• Rep: 23
Re: Shoulder injury problems and skateboarding: Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 06:38:43 PM »
Sounds like you have some very out-of-the-ordinary shoulders. Most skaters go their entire lives without dislocating one.

All I can suggest is focus on (and even practice) falling without trying to use your arms for support--tuck and roll!

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 05:43:35 PM »
    Get a gym pass and keep a positive attitude. 
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 09:15:12 PM »
I'm a recovering addict and I tore a rotator cuff and caused some pretty gnarly nerve damage in my left shoulder/upper arm after overdosing on heroin, fentanyl and benzos three years ago.  I have almost all feeling back now other than a few spots where all sensation is very dulled down, it will most likely always feel that way.  The cuff has since healed and I have full mobility again, before I could hardly lift my arm.  For the longest time really fucked my skating and fucked my skiing even more (I do a lot of inverts, switch ups on rails, etc. where you absolutely need every muscle in your body).  My rotator cuff does get sore far easier than it used to however.  Not sure if it's due to the surrounding nerve damage or due to the actual healed tear.  I did start my physical therapy exercises far later than I should have because I was still using and depressed at the time (2.5 years clean though!)

The main things that helped me were physical therapy, yoga, and lifting weights.  I kept the weight low but the reps high.  I'd recommend looking at different physical therapy exercises for your specific injury, doing some basic yoga and stretching, and if your injury allows you to safely life weights you can give that a go as well.

NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac, and so forth will help with inflammation and pain management.  Be careful though as they are hard on your stomach and liver.  CBD works very well too but I find NSAIDs to work MUCH better but have far more negative side effects.  Avoid opioids like the plague... if you're like me you'll go from swallowing a 10mg Oxycodone injecting hella bags of heroin in a Kwik Trip bathroom.  I'm on Suboxone (buprenorphine) currently and it did/does help with the pain but honestly I found the NSAIDs to help more.  Not worth fucking with opioids.

Take it slow, be consistent, and stay positive.  Eating healthy always helps as well.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 08:22:54 PM »
I'm a recovering addict and I tore a rotator cuff and caused some pretty gnarly nerve damage in my left shoulder/upper arm after overdosing on heroin, fentanyl and benzos three years ago.  I have almost all feeling back now other than a few spots where all sensation is very dulled down, it will most likely always feel that way.  The cuff has since healed and I have full mobility again, before I could hardly lift my arm.  For the longest time really fucked my skating and fucked my skiing even more (I do a lot of inverts, switch ups on rails, etc. where you absolutely need every muscle in your body).  My rotator cuff does get sore far easier than it used to however.  Not sure if it's due to the surrounding nerve damage or due to the actual healed tear.  I did start my physical therapy exercises far later than I should have because I was still using and depressed at the time (2.5 years clean though!)

The main things that helped me were physical therapy, yoga, and lifting weights.  I kept the weight low but the reps high.  I'd recommend looking at different physical therapy exercises for your specific injury, doing some basic yoga and stretching, and if your injury allows you to safely life weights you can give that a go as well.

NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Diclofenac, and so forth will help with inflammation and pain management.  Be careful though as they are hard on your stomach and liver.  CBD works very well too but I find NSAIDs to work MUCH better but have far more negative side effects.  Avoid opioids like the plague... if you're like me you'll go from swallowing a 10mg Oxycodone injecting hella bags of heroin in a Kwik Trip bathroom.  I'm on Suboxone (buprenorphine) currently and it did/does help with the pain but honestly I found the NSAIDs to help more.  Not worth fucking with opioids.

Take it slow, be consistent, and stay positive.  Eating healthy always helps as well.

YO ANOTHER SKIER/SKATER, also congrats on being clean man. Nothing but good advice here.

Audrey II

• Rep: 14183
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 07:54:50 AM »
dislocated my shoulder so many times in the past few years ive lost count.

you just gotta build up muscle and youll be good. get them deltoids buff and it will hold it in place. resistance bands should be your new best friend, i just got a pilates ring last month and it works really well.

You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

sk8_m4x

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »

Hey mate, first I just wanna say sorry for my late reply haha -im new to slap so i didnt even kno that this post got any replys until I saw today !

Secondly, the advice you've given me sounds great - its honestly refreshing to here someone actually help me, rather than just saying to quit skating. Ive been told to stop skating numerous times already by doctors, and yet another one told me too today ): It would be great if I could see a doc or physio that actually skates too haha! Sorry to hear about ur injury and problems too, sounds like your back on track now tho which is great dude !

Audrey II

• Rep: 14183
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 01:29:09 PM »

you arent clean if youre on suboxone, get off that shit. good luck g.
You got questions? Ask me like a fucking man. You know my Insta.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2019, 03:34:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

you arent clean if youre on suboxone, get off that shit. good luck g.

We could argue all day if the dude is clean or not. I don't really disagree but if it's 100% a must, let it be.

However, getting of that shit will be a long fucking mess.