Author Topic: Best brand of low trucks  (Read 5214 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Best brand of low trucks
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2019, 08:04:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have experience with Thunder Team Hollows? They look pretty nice.
[close]

I have them, they're exactly the same as Thunder Teams minus a marginal amount of weight. Definitely not a super noticeable difference like the hollow lights. If you're a weight nerd/wuss like me and like reg Thunder Teams they're probably worth the extra 10 bucks.
[close]

They’re only like $2-6 more on some websites.  I really want a pair in 147s since 147 Hollow Lights are a bit too low for me. Wheel bite with medium tight trucks and Bones Hardcore mediums.  I think 1mm would help a lot. I was considering risers but 3mm is too much height.  I wish 1/16 risers were a thing, I’ve seen like shitty longboard ones and that’s it.

Otherwise I’ll have to switch to 148 Hollow Lights/Team Hollows since they’re 2mm higher than 147s.  Thing is I like 8-8.125” decks with low trucks and I don’t want axels peaking on a tech board. Love 8.5 Indies with 8.25-8.3 boards and Conical Fulls for crust, stairs and tranny but not for flipping my board around.  It probably wouldn’t affect me much with an 8.125 but Quasi’s 8.125s are too short compared to their 8a and I really dig their shape.

First World Issues.  Wish I knew 147s were so much lower than 148s but that’s my fault for not researching beforehand.

Before they launched the 148s I was really hoping they'd be on the low side with the 147s.

Woos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2019, 10:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I have them, they're exactly the same as Thunder Teams minus a marginal amount of weight. Definitely not a super noticeable difference like the hollow lights. If you're a weight nerd/wuss like me and like reg Thunder Teams they're probably worth the extra 10 bucks.
[close]

They’re only like $2-6 more on some websites.  I really want a pair in 147s since 147 Hollow Lights are a bit too low for me. Wheel bite with medium tight trucks and Bones Hardcore mediums.  I think 1mm would help a lot. I was considering risers but 3mm is too much height.  I wish 1/16 risers were a thing, I’ve seen like shitty longboard ones and that’s it.

Otherwise I’ll have to switch to 148 Hollow Lights/Team Hollows since they’re 2mm higher than 147s.  Thing is I like 8-8.125” decks with low trucks and I don’t want axels peaking on a tech board. Love 8.5 Indies with 8.25-8.3 boards and Conical Fulls for crust, stairs and tranny but not for flipping my board around.  It probably wouldn’t affect me much with an 8.125 but Quasi’s 8.125s are too short compared to their 8a and I really dig their shape.

First World Issues.  Wish I knew 147s were so much lower than 148s but that’s my fault for not researching beforehand.
[close]

Before they launched the 148s I was really hoping they'd be on the low side with the 147s.

What size wheels would you run on them if they were?  52s are almost too big... 51s are okay but it's still a tight fit.  I hate skating anything smaller than that so it kind of sucks.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2019, 11:30:34 PM »
Dagnabit, you muthaF-ers!!! Best low truck = ML's!!!
Best turn, grind, this & that... the list goes on.

Are they "cool"? No, but you gotta check your consumer psych at the door, because the quintessential value here is that they're a hunk of steel with some urethane pieces that happens to be designed extremely well. Just wait till Degros drops a review. Although, I think he's scared to.

If any criticism from me, they do feel a little too light.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2019, 01:04:21 AM »

Are they "cool"? No, but you gotta check your consumer psych at the door, because the quintessential value here is that they're a hunk of steel with some urethane pieces that happens to be designed extremely well. Just wait till Degros drops a review. Although, I think he's scared to.

Yeah I’m gonna agree with this

Mini logos are the best low trucks

Then maybe thunder 147, then I wanna say Indy 139 low, and I guess ace 03 lows

I’ve tried all 4 and that’s my opinion and experience

The Indy 139 low were solid and turned just like an Indy but they felt kinda heavy and too low

The ace 03 are cool but feel like they are too loose for a low truck

Thunder 147 just work so well if you stick to them and break them in/get use to them

Mini logos: very UNDER rated, everyone’s too sacred to witness the truth of skate one and their efforts to make great working and lasting skate products

They turn, are stable, and respond really well

Yeah they’re questionably light and the grind clearance could be better
yes

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2019, 05:20:26 PM »
The tracker axis is the best low truck. Next I would maybe try ace lows.

These trucks will turn most similar to the Indy but sit on a block low
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 849
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2019, 09:26:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Indy 139 low were solid and turned just like an Indy but they felt kinda heavy and too low

Thunder 147 just work so well if you stick to them and break them in/get use to them

Mini logos: very UNDER rated, everyone’s too sacred to witness the truth of skate one and their efforts to make great working and lasting skate products

I'm going to have to back my by Rob up here and also suggest Mini-Logo if you're looking to try a low truck. They're cheap, look kind of stupid, and you'll get no "street cred" for them but they get the job done and done well. I was a bit apprehensive about them for a long time but got a pair of 8.38 really cheap in a package deal with some wheels and they surprised me with how good they felt.

Forgive me if a board size was already mentioned, but if you're skating a smaller deck (8.125 and below) then I'd also recommend Venture lo but only on a 14"ish wheelbase. I tried them on a 8.06 Real low pro with a 14.38" wb and it was just too much... I couldn't find the pop no matter what I tried. On a 8" ScumCo kiddie pool they're great snappy little trucks though. Also, don't assume that if you've tried Venture hi and liked them that you'll like the lo.. they have a very different feel that I find hard to describe.

Finally, I've never skated the low Aces but right now the high 44s are my favorite truck. If you ride like super tight trucks they're probably not the best choice but the surfy turn is really fun and for me they make my pop more consistent. I hardly ever ghost pop with them. They still scare the shit out of me on hills, but unlike Indys I can usually just sit down a bit if I start wobbling and be ok. Kind of like controlled insanity.

Woos

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2019, 10:01:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm going to have to back my by Rob up here and also suggest Mini-Logo if you're looking to try a low truck. They're cheap, look kind of stupid, and you'll get no "street cred" for them but they get the job done and done well. I was a bit apprehensive about them for a long time but got a pair of 8.38 really cheap in a package deal with some wheels and they surprised me with how good they felt.

Forgive me if a board size was already mentioned, but if you're skating a smaller deck (8.125 and below) then I'd also recommend Venture lo but only on a 14"ish wheelbase. I tried them on a 8.06 Real low pro with a 14.38" wb and it was just too much... I couldn't find the pop no matter what I tried. On a 8" ScumCo kiddie pool they're great snappy little trucks though. Also, don't assume that if you've tried Venture hi and liked them that you'll like the lo.. they have a very different feel that I find hard to describe.

Finally, I've never skated the low Aces but right now the high 44s are my favorite truck. If you ride like super tight trucks they're probably not the best choice but the surfy turn is really fun and for me they make my pop more consistent. I hardly ever ghost pop with them. They still scare the shit out of me on hills, but unlike Indys I can usually just sit down a bit if I start wobbling and be ok. Kind of like controlled insanity.

You can ride them on larger wheelbases if there is a decent gap between the tail and bolts.  I recommend 3+ man-sized fingers. The Quasi 8.0 I’m riding would work very well with Venture Lows but I’m running Thunder 147 Hollow Light IIs.  32.375 length and a 14.25” wheelbase. 

It’s all about leverage so the length and angle of the tail matter too.  It’s when the tail is right next to the bolts that Venture and Thunders are hard to ride and that’s because of how low the trucks are and how hard you have to push the tail down.

Obviously there’s personal preference involved as well.  Height plays a role too.

Here’s a picture if it helps.  Now imagine if there was quarter of an inch to a full inch less of of a gap. It’d suck.  That’s why I hate most Baker board with Thunders and Ventures. They’re almost all only 31.5” long but have a 14.25” wheelbase.  DLX surprisingly also have some decks that just won’t work with their own trucks. I was looking at an 8.125” Overspray they had and it was only 31.38” long but had a wheelbase of 14.38” with an average sized tail.  I almost ordered it too because tactics had it mislabeled as 32” & 14.25”.  Glad I double checked.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:08:46 PM by Woos »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »
Mini logo is a good choice. I was able to tighten them as needed before mounting them because there is enough room for a wrench to hold the nut. My only gripe is keep your wheel choices small since I got wheelbite on these pretty easy so I had to use risers.

Woos

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2019, 10:33:24 PM »
Wow I didn’t realize the Mini Logo 8.0s are 1mm lower than Venture V-Hollow Lows and 2mm lower than Thunder 147 Hollow Lights.  I don’t think I could ride them without risers myself... at least with 52mm wheels.  I do like the shape of them but I’ve never ridden them myself.  With their 0.10” risers they’re slightly taller than the Thunder Hollow Lights and about the same as the Team Hollows though. I like their riser size a lot tbh.  I

wish I could find 1/16 Dooks Risers in stock in the USA but I could only find the Dooks Silencers in that size and they’re foam and I hear they compress a ton. I’m giving them a try though since that’s all I could get in 1/16 from a decent brand/non-shady website.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2019, 02:53:40 AM »
Mini logos are not bad at all. Turn is adequate with surprisingly little wheelbite for such a low truck. their quite light too. And cheap. Dont fear the ML

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2019, 12:31:39 PM »
Mini logos are not bad at all. Turn is adequate with surprisingly little wheelbite for such a low truck. their quite light too. And cheap. Dont fear the ML

Seriously. Turn is in the Indy/ACE/Theeve camp, i.e.,turny not twitchy, and they grind really well; without risers 51s seemed to be the sweet spot (loose with bones meds).

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2019, 02:21:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seriously. Turn is in the Indy/ACE/Theeve camp, i.e.,turny not twitchy, and they grind really well; without risers 51s seemed to be the sweet spot (loose with bones meds).

Ah yeah, forgot to mention. I rode them with bones medium bushings.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2019, 05:24:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thunders. It's gonna turn a lot different but that's my go to low truck.
[close]

Hm, I've never skated them. What aspects of the turn are different?
[close]

People usually describe the difference thusly:

Indy: (
           )
         (
           )

Thunder: \
               /
               \
               /

Just swapped out Indy 139 for Venture 148 and can confirm the diagram is accurate.

Side note, I thought the whole truck debate was pure madness. I thought all trucks were made the same with the biggest difference being the colours, materials or height. It was only when I toyed about with my old Venture Lo (5.0), Indy 139 Hollow Forged and Thunder Titanium 148 did I really notice the world of difference in board feel caused by wheelbase differences.

Back in the day I used to attribute a lot of how a board felt to the deck, whether the pop and flick felt right. Looking at it now, it seems more like a function of the trucks pairing better or worse with the board, since you cycle through trucks a lot slower than boards.

I went from having zero pop (Venture Los), to some pop but lots of ghost pop (Indy 13) to having a really snappy and responsive board (Thunder 148). Kickflips came so much easier, even popping into grinds and slides too; the board just felt so light and it was finally sticking to my feet. Now I'm tempted to try Venture Hi 5.2.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You can ride them on larger wheelbases if there is a decent gap between the tail and bolts.  I recommend 3+ man-sized fingers. The Quasi 8.0 I’m riding would work very well with Venture Lows but I’m running Thunder 147 Hollow Light IIs.  32.375 length and a 14.25” wheelbase. 

It’s all about leverage so the length and angle of the tail matter too.  It’s when the tail is right next to the bolts that Venture and Thunders are hard to ride and that’s because of how low the trucks are and how hard you have to push the tail down.

Obviously there’s personal preference involved as well.  Height plays a role too.

Here’s a picture if it helps.  Now imagine if there was quarter of an inch to a full inch less of of a gap. It’d suck.  That’s why I hate most Baker board with Thunders and Ventures. They’re almost all only 31.5” long but have a 14.25” wheelbase.  DLX surprisingly also have some decks that just won’t work with their own trucks. I was looking at an 8.125” Overspray they had and it was only 31.38” long but had a wheelbase of 14.38” with an average sized tail.  I almost ordered it too because tactics had it mislabeled as 32” & 14.25”.  Glad I double checked.

What would you pair with a board with a short wheelbase (14") with 3 fingers of flat plus very steep kicks? I feel like Thunders are the happy medium between Indy and Ventures.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Woos

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2019, 05:37:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thunders. It's gonna turn a lot different but that's my go to low truck.
[close]

Hm, I've never skated them. What aspects of the turn are different?
[close]

People usually describe the difference thusly:

Indy: (
           )
         (
           )

Thunder: \
               /
               \
               /
[close]

Just swapped out Indy 139 for Venture 148 and can confirm the diagram is accurate.

Side note, I thought the whole truck debate was pure madness. I thought all trucks were made the same with the biggest difference being the colours, materials or height. It was only when I toyed about with my old Venture Lo (5.0), Indy 139 Hollow Forged and Thunder Titanium 148 did I really notice the world of difference in board feel caused by wheelbase differences.

Back in the day I used to attribute a lot of how a board felt to the deck, whether the pop and flick felt right. Looking at it now, it seems more like a function of the trucks pairing better or worse with the board, since you cycle through trucks a lot slower than boards.

I went from having zero pop (Venture Los), to some pop but lots of ghost pop (Indy 13) to having a really snappy and responsive board (Thunder 148). Kickflips came so much easier, even popping into grinds and slides too; the board just felt so light and it was finally sticking to my feet. Now I'm tempted to try Venture Hi 5.2.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What would you pair with a board with a short wheelbase (14") with 3 fingers of flat plus very steep kicks? I feel like Thunders are the happy medium between Indy and Ventures.

Yeah I’d ride Thunders in that case most likely. If it was too steep and I was getting ghost pop I’d probably switch to Indies though.  Actually I’d just get a different deck because at 6” tall I don’t like my wheels that close together.  I doubt it’s THAT steep though. Keep in mind it’s personal preference as well.  Just remember your skateboard a lever.

Now let’s say it’s steep and only has 1.5 fingers of flat I’d go Indy personally. That’s because I find that too much effort to make that tail snap consistently so I get a lot of ghost pop then.  If you can power through it you’d get a lot of pop but it’s not going to feel very balanced and manuals will be impossible for most people.  I also don’t like how close my wheels are together with Indies on a 14” wheelbase due to being 6” tall. I feel like my legs are way too close together then and the board is too squirmy for me but that’s different for different people, especially short folks.  That’s why I can’t stand decks that are like 31.25” with 14” wheelbases myself.

Edit: sorry I shouldn’t have quoted such a huge post. My bad.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 05:49:10 PM by Woos »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 07:13:07 PM »
What is the use case for low trucks? Boards with steep noses or long wheelbases? The only one I can think of would be great stability on ledge or rail tricks where getting closer to the surface feels better.

I recently went from low (Venture Lo 5.0) to high (Indy 139, Venture Titanium 148), can't see myself going back down to low trucks after the great experience I had with getting higher.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 07:23:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What size wheels would you run on them if they were?  52s are almost too big... 51s are okay but it's still a tight fit.  I hate skating anything smaller than that so it kind of sucks.

I'd suck it up for 51s and wear them down.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2019, 09:40:03 AM »

Funny you mention that. I`ve been thinkin the same about the fact that he has not tested ML trucks.
What a scandal if he actually likes them ;D

But yeah, with over 52mm wheels i use small risers. I ride medium tight.
Great trucks.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2019, 08:13:47 PM »
Wow I didn’t realize the Mini Logo 8.0s are 1mm lower than Venture V-Hollow Lows and 2mm lower than Thunder 147 Hollow Lights.  I don’t think I could ride them without risers myself... at least with 52mm wheels.  I do like the shape of them but I’ve never ridden them myself.  With their 0.10” risers they’re slightly taller than the Thunder Hollow Lights and about the same as the Team Hollows though. I like their riser size a lot tbh.  I

wish I could find 1/16 Dooks Risers in stock in the USA but I could only find the Dooks Silencers in that size and they’re foam and I hear they compress a ton. I’m giving them a try though since that’s all I could get in 1/16 from a decent brand/non-shady website.

if just a hair of lift/shock absorb is needed.... hop into the plumbing section at home depot and get a sheet of 6"x6" gasket rubber. it's 1/16" thick and dense but pliable rubber.
trace the baseplate and trim a bit under so they disappear

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
What is the use case for low trucks? Boards with steep noses or long wheelbases? The only one I can think of would be great stability on ledge or rail tricks where getting closer to the surface feels better.

I recently went from low (Venture Lo 5.0) to high (Indy 139, Venture Titanium 148), can't see myself going back down to low trucks after the great experience I had with getting higher.

I'm probably a one off but I like low trucks on mellow kicks with small wheels (conversely, I like tall trucks, steep kicks and big wheels...and, you guessed it, medium kicks, with med height trucks and medium (53/52mm) wheels; steep/55mm trucks, 54mm+ wheels and straight ollies just feel beastly at speed, like you can just stomp over anything.

Use case *was* quicker pop when things got tech heavy (+ those small fucking wheels)...

I've always been a fan of low and wide (like Marnell)

Then...everyone was starting to bitch about wheelbite as wheels got bigger for whatever reason (speed damnit) and everyone said, welp, guess we need tall(er) trucks again...

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm probably a one off but I like low trucks on mellow kicks with small wheels (conversely, I like tall trucks, steep kicks and big wheels...and, you guessed it, medium kicks, with med height trucks and medium (53/52mm) wheels; steep/55mm trucks, 54mm+ wheels and straight ollies just feel beastly at speed, like you can just stomp over anything.

Use case *was* quicker pop when things got tech heavy (+ those small fucking wheels)...

I've always been a fan of low and wide (like Marnell)

Then...everyone was starting to bitch about wheelbite as wheels got bigger for whatever reason (speed damnit) and everyone said, welp, guess we need tall(er) trucks again...

I'm liking the pop that higher trucks and steeper kicks give me, but I would say I'm pretty heavy footed and kick down pretty hard with every pop. Works good when I want to loft a kickflip or pop high but not so great at the park where the ledge is pretty low. I have to tell myself to pop light and put my front foot way up front near bolts so I don't end up too high and slamming on ledges.

I'm thinking of going a little lower (Thunder 147) with a slightly mellower setup (Habitat 8.125) for a more controlled, technical setup.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »

I always rode indy and liked mellow concave, smaller nose and tail. I had a board like that and when I put it on Thunders I felt like I couldn't skate anymore. Then I read it would be better to have a long wheel base, and a steep nose and tail. Since you are closer to the ground, for myself a flat nose and tail, and a small wheelbase made the pop happen too quick for my foot to flick a trick well. A longer wheel base and steeper nose and tail helped even it out. All I hate is the wheel bite, even though I have 51's I still get it on fairly tight 149s, might try risers.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2019, 10:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I always rode indy and liked mellow concave, smaller nose and tail. I had a board like that and when I put it on Thunders I felt like I couldn't skate anymore. Then I read it would be better to have a long wheel base, and a steep nose and tail. Since you are closer to the ground, for myself a flat nose and tail, and a small wheelbase made the pop happen too quick for my foot to flick a trick well. A longer wheel base and steeper nose and tail helped even it out. All I hate is the wheel bite, even though I have 51's I still get it on fairly tight 149s, might try risers.

This damn message board and Ben Degros' channel has got me visualizing truck and deck combinations in my head all day long!

I'm planning on trying a deck with mellower kicks and slightly lower trucks to sacrifice pop for more board control.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m