Author Topic: Should I relearn everything?  (Read 1209 times)

Lashes2ashes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Should I relearn everything?
« on: November 06, 2019, 03:52:53 PM »
So I just started skating again after fifteen years, mostly transition. I have just noticed my front foot at all times is on top of the front bolts. Everyone I skate with has told me to relearn with my foot right behind the bolts. I can push and carve no problem but anything else feels super unstable. I was making pretty good progress and skating like that I can barely even kick turn. Should I just go with what feels natural? Or spend weeks trying to fix it?

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
Re: Should I relearn everything?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:24:55 PM »
Subtle changes, adapting to tried and true techniques.
Or do what you want and be one of those guys

Check your wheelbases, try a 14.5 if you're not already on one

If you're on longer than that, I have some skim boards I could sell you
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Oldguy78

• Rep: -64
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »
Everyone is different. If you’re pulling off the tricks you try and feel more comfortable/stable riding how you are then I’d say stick with it. There’s a lot of factors that can affect where your feet end up feeling the most stable for you vs someone else. Hight shoe size age preference etc. Do you man

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2190
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 05:37:09 PM »
It's going to take some time to get back into your old groove,if anything you'll have a new one. Embrace it and have fun man,at least you're trying.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 07:13:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. I might try a slightly longer wheel base. At first I was not really worried about it. Outside of I do admit watching clips of my self it looks super weird with my feet so far apart. But a guy I know who is a super sick bowl skater told me it’s pretty dangerous having my foot so close to the nose. and a couple times I got pitched face first skating a bowl and could not figure out what happened. Now I’m guessing my foot slipped forward onto the nose when I was going back down the transition.

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 07:25:32 PM »

right now I’m skating a tactics shop deck it’s wheel base is 14.25. But I have been thinking of going from a 8.00inch up to a bigger board. If I go with a longer wheel base is that going to throw flip tricks off very much? Because I assume I will have to drag my foot more to get to the nose pocket? See growing up I always assumed when you wanted to ollie something you dragged you’re foot down a little before popping. Never heard until now you should be in ollie position at all times lol.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 07:34:30 PM »
It's going to take some time to get back into your old groove,if anything you'll have a new one. Embrace it and have fun man,at least you're trying.

Agreed, the way you skated 15 years ago versus today is night and day, probably more so if you took a few years off the board. It's probably really hard to completely relearn years of muscle memory and wouldn't be worth the effort given how much less time we have on the board as adults. Making small changes to your body (stance, foot placement, shoulders, head position) every time you try a line or trick is probably the more viable way to go.

Board size preferences have also changed a lot in the past decade. I find trying to mix a modern board (8 inches and up) with older truck designs (lower, smaller, heavier), doesn't work as well. If you can afford it try and toy around with your truck setup; adjusting your wheelbase can drastically alter how it turns, pops and feels weight wise.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 08:18:43 AM »
From personal experience, it can be beneficial to take time off the board to un-learn everything.  I hope you dont think the same as you did 15 years ago, so why skate the same? 

real spit

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:56:12 AM »
I have to relearn everything every time I go skate
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 12:21:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
right now I’m skating a tactics shop deck it’s wheel base is 14.25. But I have been thinking of going from a 8.00inch up to a bigger board. If I go with a longer wheel base is that going to throw flip tricks off very much? Because I assume I will have to drag my foot more to get to the nose pocket? See growing up I always assumed when you wanted to ollie something you dragged you’re foot down a little before popping. Never heard until now you should be in ollie position at all times lol.

Yes changing your board size has the potential to change your mental state and muscle memory slightly

The jump from 8 to 8.25 isn't as drastic as the dudes going from 7.75 x 31 to 8 x 32's
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 11:59:26 PM »
im probably going to spend a week or two just cruising around with my foot behind the bolts to try and get my balance back. I never skated a park until I was eighteen and stoped skating shortly after, street skating was and still is no issue but skating park with this foot placement is holding me back. I have a hard time dropping in and slamming the wheels down, so I tried it on flat ground with my foot behind the bolts and noticed I can slam down much easier. Also have noticed kick turns like that take way less effort. Now if I could only go down a small bank and not feel like I’m going to die!

Oldguy78

• Rep: -64
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 04:34:22 AM »
Does your park have any pyramids or shorter ramps/quarter pipes? Try it on those first.