Author Topic: Building a cruiser board kinda  (Read 374 times)

Oldguy78

• Rep: -1
Building a cruiser board kinda
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »
Ok so I want to put together a cruiser thatís still kind of ďskateableĒ and would like some advice. I already have these parts.

Creature 8.8Ē shaped deck (pretty much new) some slightly used thunder 148 hi trucks as well as some Indy 159 hollows. I know the thunder are too narrow for the deck but thereís a reason Iím considering them, Iíll explain in a bit.

What I have on order.

Bones 60mm ATF wheels and 59mm roughriders. Longer hardware both 1/18 and 1/4 risers and some bones racing reds bearings.

The thought behind using the thunders is the roughrider wheels are really wide so they wouldnít stick out nearly as far. The ATS wheel are narrower and would work with the Indys I think. Any opinions, tips, or advice would be great since this is my first cruiser/ kinda freeride board Iíve put together. Thanks

GardenSkater77

• Rep: 14
Re: Building a cruiser board kinda
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
W/o knowing what kind of skating you want to do when you get to where you are going it is hard to recommend any changes.

If you just want a transportation board then whatever you have is fine.

I do not like soft wheels for anything and find that Spitfire Formula 4s are good for every surface.

You should check out the 9+ boards thread. Lots of cool set-ups on that.

Oldguy78

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
Thanks Iíll check it out. As for the type of riding on this board (I have others for street and park skating) itís mainly for riding around on my towns awful pavement Ollieís and some freeride/smaller hill bombing.

Ziad

• Rep: -79
    • bouklao.com
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:12:16 AM »
56mm rough riders are better than 59mm rough riders if you're skating it too

cucktard

• Rep: -42
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 04:25:14 AM »
Rough riders have the best feel, and the worst durability.
ďIíd be down to tickle Jamie Thomas until he pisses himself, but thatís about it.Ē - Pigeon

Oldguy78

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 04:31:53 AM »
So do you have an alternate suggestion?

Sundaynuggets

• Rep: 6
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 05:12:52 AM »
So do you have an alternate suggestion?

Oh super mini juices feel just as good as the rough riders, are almost the same size, but are waaaaay more durable. Ricta clouds are shaped like a normal street wheel, are durable, and are great for cruising too.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »
Clouds are cool, definitely a smooth ride, but also a bit stickier.

Keyframes wonít slide, but feel more forgiving.

Merits to both, but I lean Keyframes in terms of feeling more normal.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

cucktard

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
Iíd recommend downhill longboard wheels.
Hawgs, kryptos, or any of the Powell DH wheels. Theyíll grip, but still slide better than the Rough Riders
ďIíd be down to tickle Jamie Thomas until he pisses himself, but thatís about it.Ē - Pigeon

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 12
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
can confirm, i have 70mm venom wheels that slide great

cucktard

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 01:00:36 AM »
Ah, I forgot.
My Rough Riders crapped out on my 1st or second time riding, they started not even chunking, but tearing.

I contacted Powell, and they refunded me with a pair of Crossbones, which are a great durable cruising wheel

Oldguy78

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
Iíd recommend downhill longboard wheels.
Hawgs, kryptos, or any of the Powell DH wheels. Theyíll grip, but still slide better than the Rough Riders

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the Hawgs but I have some questions. I have the 8.8Ē deck and Indy 159ís on it. Since the Hawgs are an offset bearing seat with the wheels stuck out too far? Second question should I go with the chubby hawgs (I wonít need a riser) or the fatty hawgs? If the fatty would a 1/8Ē be enough or would I need a 1/4Ē I have both heights of risers already

slappy50

• Rep: 1
  • cannot kickflip
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »
Go for the chubby Hawgs. They can be flipped (somewhat), and with the wide contact patch on them, they will roll smoothly over pretty much any kind of moderate terrain (dirt, gravel, etc.). They have a slightly smaller contact patch but at 78a it will give a smooth, buttery cruise. I had some 70mm big fat wheels from them and they slid really well well being virtually indestructible. The fatty hawgs would be a good option but would cone pretty quick without being able to rotate them around.  Another option is Orangotang Wheels. They have a somewhat narrow wheel that is normally shaped, meaning one could run the indys you were talking about for the sweet indy carve. They come in something like 80a, 83a (what I used for a while and slide really well), and 86a. They could work well for the park and the rough street. They also make 66mm wide wheels, but they're ok, not great. But try the chubby hawgs or orangatang "skiffs". I have had the skiffs and they are great wheels. 

CHUBBY HAWGS (go for white)
https://landyachtz.com/ca/product/chubby-hawgs-60mm/

ORANGATANG SKIFFS (try the 83a):
https://orangatangwheels.com/wheels/skiff-62mm

I dont write ads, sorry if it sounds like it.
why are you still reading srsly it cant be that good

Oldguy78

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
No apologizes needed man that was an awesome piece of advice! Iíll pick up a set of chubbies (hehe) and give them a go. I like how smooth the roughriders are but they are too grippy for my taste and make sliding to slow down hard for me. Ask my left hip about that lol. I bailed hard Saturday and at my age thatís not fun at all, ouch! 

slappy50

• cannot kickflip
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
I know right, what colour are you thinking?

Oldguy78

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 08:40:06 PM »
I like the gray ones. The  orangutan wheels seem nice, I like the center core spacing, I just donít care for the colors. Iíve got a set of 149 forged hollows I can rob off of my 8.25 deck if I need to. Or just buy a new set of truck but then I gotta break them in ugh.

slappy50

• cannot kickflip
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »
The cloud gray ones are nice, and the colours on the orangutan ones are quite bold, admittedly. I've seen guys riding the chubbies on sand bike tracks and keeping reasonable amounts of speed. They seem like really good wheels overall for a cruiser board, while not being defeated by a mere pebble. If you choose to get new trucks, Bear trucks are also a good choice, with a really nice leaning turn, but that's just my opinion. They are made by the same company but indy hollows are a really good choice.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:57:57 PM by slappy50 »

Oldguy78

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »
I already have the hollow 149ís on my street/park deck. I can just swap them and see how it goes. If it works I can order a new set. Or maybe try some thunders on that board. Man if 15 year old me had any idea Iíd be spending this kind of money heíd flip lol. Itís kind of nice being a grown up with some disposable income though. Guess thereís worse things I could be spending it on. The more I look at it the more that Crane ATV complete from Landyachtz seems to be calling to me though. Too many choices!

slappy50

• cannot kickflip
« Reply #18 on: Today at 08:39:07 AM »
The ATV crane looks reaaaally nice, although the only thing that irked me was the smaller-looking nose, but the variable wheelbase would make a big nose plausible. But in terms of trucks, it's all up to you. The other ATVS look pretty cool too, I was liking the black one's shape. What does the creature board look like?

Oldguy78

« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:55:27 PM »