Author Topic: Building a cruiser board kinda  (Read 4382 times)

Oldguy78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -64
Building a cruiser board kinda
« on: November 06, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »
Ok so I want to put together a cruiser that’s still kind of “skateable” and would like some advice. I already have these parts.

Creature 8.8” shaped deck (pretty much new) some slightly used thunder 148 hi trucks as well as some Indy 159 hollows. I know the thunder are too narrow for the deck but there’s a reason I’m considering them, I’ll explain in a bit.

What I have on order.

Bones 60mm ATF wheels and 59mm roughriders. Longer hardware both 1/18 and 1/4 risers and some bones racing reds bearings.

The thought behind using the thunders is the roughrider wheels are really wide so they wouldn’t stick out nearly as far. The ATS wheel are narrower and would work with the Indys I think. Any opinions, tips, or advice would be great since this is my first cruiser/ kinda freeride board I’ve put together. Thanks

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: Building a cruiser board kinda
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »
W/o knowing what kind of skating you want to do when you get to where you are going it is hard to recommend any changes.

If you just want a transportation board then whatever you have is fine.

I do not like soft wheels for anything and find that Spitfire Formula 4s are good for every surface.

You should check out the 9+ boards thread. Lots of cool set-ups on that.

Oldguy78

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
Thanks I’ll check it out. As for the type of riding on this board (I have others for street and park skating) it’s mainly for riding around on my towns awful pavement Ollie’s and some freeride/smaller hill bombing.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 03:12:16 AM »
56mm rough riders are better than 59mm rough riders if you're skating it too

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 04:25:14 AM »
Rough riders have the best feel, and the worst durability.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Oldguy78

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 04:31:53 AM »
So do you have an alternate suggestion?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 05:12:52 AM »
So do you have an alternate suggestion?

Oh super mini juices feel just as good as the rough riders, are almost the same size, but are waaaaay more durable. Ricta clouds are shaped like a normal street wheel, are durable, and are great for cruising too.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »
Clouds are cool, definitely a smooth ride, but also a bit stickier.

Keyframes won’t slide, but feel more forgiving.

Merits to both, but I lean Keyframes in terms of feeling more normal.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
I’d recommend downhill longboard wheels.
Hawgs, kryptos, or any of the Powell DH wheels. They’ll grip, but still slide better than the Rough Riders

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 08:43:42 PM »
can confirm, i have 70mm venom wheels that slide great
🤙

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 01:00:36 AM »
Ah, I forgot.
My Rough Riders crapped out on my 1st or second time riding, they started not even chunking, but tearing.

I contacted Powell, and they refunded me with a pair of Crossbones, which are a great durable cruising wheel

Oldguy78

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 10:00:59 PM »
I’d recommend downhill longboard wheels.
Hawgs, kryptos, or any of the Powell DH wheels. They’ll grip, but still slide better than the Rough Riders

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the Hawgs but I have some questions. I have the 8.8” deck and Indy 159’s on it. Since the Hawgs are an offset bearing seat with the wheels stuck out too far? Second question should I go with the chubby hawgs (I won’t need a riser) or the fatty hawgs? If the fatty would a 1/8” be enough or would I need a 1/4” I have both heights of risers already

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 07:28:21 PM »
Go for the chubby Hawgs. They can be flipped (somewhat), and with the wide contact patch on them, they will roll smoothly over pretty much any kind of moderate terrain (dirt, gravel, etc.). They have a slightly smaller contact patch but at 78a it will give a smooth, buttery cruise. I had some 70mm big fat wheels from them and they slid really well well being virtually indestructible. The fatty hawgs would be a good option but would cone pretty quick without being able to rotate them around.  Another option is Orangotang Wheels. They have a somewhat narrow wheel that is normally shaped, meaning one could run the indys you were talking about for the sweet indy carve. They come in something like 80a, 83a (what I used for a while and slide really well), and 86a. They could work well for the park and the rough street. They also make 66mm wide wheels, but they're ok, not great. But try the chubby hawgs or orangatang "skiffs". I have had the skiffs and they are great wheels. 

CHUBBY HAWGS (go for white)
https://landyachtz.com/ca/product/chubby-hawgs-60mm/

ORANGATANG SKIFFS (try the 83a):
https://orangatangwheels.com/wheels/skiff-62mm

I dont write ads, sorry if it sounds like it.
niggling

[/quote]

Oldguy78

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 08:24:27 PM »
No apologizes needed man that was an awesome piece of advice! I’ll pick up a set of chubbies (hehe) and give them a go. I like how smooth the roughriders are but they are too grippy for my taste and make sliding to slow down hard for me. Ask my left hip about that lol. I bailed hard Saturday and at my age that’s not fun at all, ouch! 

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »
I know right, what colour are you thinking?
niggling

[/quote]

Oldguy78

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2019, 08:40:06 PM »
I like the gray ones. The  orangutan wheels seem nice, I like the center core spacing, I just don’t care for the colors. I’ve got a set of 149 forged hollows I can rob off of my 8.25 deck if I need to. Or just buy a new set of truck but then I gotta break them in ugh.

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 08:55:40 PM »
The cloud gray ones are nice, and the colours on the orangutan ones are quite bold, admittedly. I've seen guys riding the chubbies on sand bike tracks and keeping reasonable amounts of speed. They seem like really good wheels overall for a cruiser board, while not being defeated by a mere pebble. If you choose to get new trucks, Bear trucks are also a good choice, with a really nice leaning turn, but that's just my opinion. They are made by the same company but indy hollows are a really good choice.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 08:57:57 PM by slappy50 »
niggling

[/quote]

Oldguy78

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »
I already have the hollow 149’s on my street/park deck. I can just swap them and see how it goes. If it works I can order a new set. Or maybe try some thunders on that board. Man if 15 year old me had any idea I’d be spending this kind of money he’d flip lol. It’s kind of nice being a grown up with some disposable income though. Guess there’s worse things I could be spending it on. The more I look at it the more that Crane ATV complete from Landyachtz seems to be calling to me though. Too many choices!

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »
The ATV crane looks reaaaally nice, although the only thing that irked me was the smaller-looking nose, but the variable wheelbase would make a big nose plausible. But in terms of trucks, it's all up to you. The other ATVS look pretty cool too, I was liking the black one's shape. What does the creature board look like?
niggling

[/quote]

Oldguy78

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »

Oldguy78

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 01:04:43 AM »
So can anyone tell me if the Chubby Hawgs will stick way out on an 8.8” deck with Indy 159’s? I know the bearing seats are offset but I can’t find by how much anywhere.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2019, 05:36:26 AM »
They will probably stick out a bit. But I don’t think it will be that much. And I don’t expect the offset to be that extreme, you could probably get away with riding them inwards, unless you are doing heavy sliding

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »
The ATV crane on the same website is 8.8 or 8.9, and the wheels kinda stick out a teeny bit on a truck of similar size. If the 159s are a go, either ride them reversed (likely he other guy said) or if you haven’t ordered yet, get the fatties for the deep offset. It shouldn’t be a big deal either way. Don’t forget to post a pic if and when you set that bad boy up.
niggling

[/quote]

Oldguy78

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »
Sorry it took so long but here are the pics. 8.8” Creature deck, Indy 159’s forged hollows, Indy 1/8 risers, Hawgs Chubby Hawgs, Bear Spaceballs bearings, Mob grip, mix of Indy and Creature hardware. And apparently my pics are too large. Can anyone help me post them? Or help me figure out how I can.

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 09:25:22 AM »
I used choose file, but you might be able to copy/paste into your post. You could also resize the image in your file editor if you know how.
niggling

[/quote]

Oldguy78

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 12:41:30 PM »
I took the pics and I’m posting on my iPhone. I’ll try copying them but doing the choose file says they’re too big.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 01:13:32 PM »
Yeah copying is a no go. Oh well I tried lol

I had the same problem and the only way I could figure to post pics is to upload to imgur and then copy that link to my Slap posts

Oldguy78

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 04:09:47 PM »
Ok let’s see if this works.

https://imgur.com/a/FDm0lGp

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 05:24:09 PM »
Ok let’s see if this works.

https://imgur.com/a/FDm0lGp

I can see the picture when clicking on the link, if you copy the link on the picture directly and put each image link between the [ img][ /img] marks (Just delete the extra space between the front bracket and the img letters) then the pic itself should show up in your post
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 05:26:00 PM by Sundaynuggets »

Oldguy78

« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2019, 06:17:14 PM »